North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
>!<JOIN ILLUMINATI IN UGANDA KAMPALA +2767271614024/03/24, 08:49 amyunuko
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 12:00 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

What to do when you DD isn't getting the position she moved teams for Pixel
Statistics
We have 15800 registered users
The newest registered user is Yuna

Our users have posted a total of 205174 messages in 31963 subjects

What to do when you DD isn't getting the position she moved teams for

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What to do when you DD isn't getting the position she moved teams for Empty What to do when you DD isn't getting the position she moved teams for

Post by mad-baller 13/08/12, 09:37 pm

So, my DD is a killer forward - was top scorer for her team - and recently moved to what is without question is the best team in her age group.

The coach said yep - they want her and she can play forward...

Well, now guess what... she's been playing defender ALL THE TIME.

("We'll move her, just working some stuff out..." all kinds of assurances from the coach.)

This is without question the TOP team -

Looking for input from parents further down the road than me... do we stay with the glory or move on?

Thanks
mad-baller
mad-baller
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

What to do when you DD isn't getting the position she moved teams for Empty Re: What to do when you DD isn't getting the position she moved teams for

Post by nukem 13/08/12, 09:50 pm

What age group?
nukem
nukem
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

What to do when you DD isn't getting the position she moved teams for Empty Re: What to do when you DD isn't getting the position she moved teams for

Post by Coach&Ref 13/08/12, 09:52 pm

mad-baller wrote:So, my DD is a killer forward - was top scorer for her team - and recently moved to what is without question is the best team in her age group.

("We'll move her, just working some stuff out..." all kinds of assurances from the coach.)

Looking for input from parents further down the road than me... do we stay with the glory or move on?

Thanks

Here is something for you to consider. When kids are chosen for the ODP program (Olympic Development Program), they are asked, "How many of you are Forwards or Mids?" 95% of hands go up. Very few hands are raised when asked if they are defenders.

Believe it or not, a LOT of the best forwards can make even better outside backs. This depends on the coach's playing style, of course, but I know of at least one team who's coach told me that his leading goal scorer was his left back!

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 13/08/12, 09:54 pm

This happens a lot me often than you might think. On one hand, there's nothing wrong with playing defender. In fact, too many forwards never really learn good defense and end up as one dimensional break-away players and not much else. But if your daughter was recruited specifically to play forward (or at least at a midfield position) AND she very much dislikes being a defender, then it's time to start getting in the ear of the coach. Does that mean threatening to leave the team? No, the season hasn't even started. He may just be shuffling the deck a bit and the move could indeed be temporary. But we're talking about a select soccer coach for one of the top teams. How honest could he (or she) be, right?

Back to top Go down

Post by mad-baller 13/08/12, 10:00 pm

Thank you for your replies.

We're still in academy - but don't laugh, the team is legendary.

Someone else had suggested to me the coach takes top players from other teams just to pull them down. Perhaps we're a pawn and got screwed, but I think Coach&Ref has excellent insight for the long term - this is probably still the best opportunity she'll get.
mad-baller
mad-baller
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Coach&Ref 13/08/12, 10:18 pm

mad-baller wrote:Thank you for your replies.

Someone else had suggested to me the coach takes top players from other teams just to pull them down. Perhaps we're a pawn and got screwed, but I think Coach&Ref has excellent insight for the long term - this is probably still the best opportunity she'll get.

Just consider it "mad" before you get mad! Ask the coach what his plans are for your daughter. I wouldn't pressure him to play your daughter where she is used to. At that age, you never know where she might fit best and eventually be happiest playing.

Some coaches are very supportive of converted forwards to outside backs. Good coaches will encourage these girls to get forward when it is smart to do so. They will say things like, "Who says you can't score?" and "If you see green grass in front of you, then GO!" Very Happy

There are NUMEROUS examples in each league with outside back who are much better at attacking than defending, yet they are starters for the simple fact that the coach has developed a system around them that lets them have that freedom. An EPL example of this would be Ashley Cole from Chelsea. An even better example from La Liga is Danny Alves from FC Barcelona. TREMENDOUS player getting forward, but who is not a good defender at all. Very Happy
Coach&Ref
Coach&Ref
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 13/08/12, 10:29 pm

mad-baller wrote:Thank you for your replies.

Legendary academy team is an oxymoron. If your daughter is that young then just leave and find an honest coach. She's not going to be missing "the best opportunity she'll get"... whatever that means. If you feel like you're getting screwed then go. This is an easy one.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigheadpena 13/08/12, 10:33 pm

Just wondering if your kid was doing so good why did you switch teams?
bigheadpena
bigheadpena
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by mad-baller 13/08/12, 11:03 pm

Re - why switch teams...?
I guess mostly it was get away from being a "big fish in a small pond" - and that she would do better playing on a team where every kid was excellent - Sure, you could say it was "ego" as well.
I guess the biggest question is if this team will truly stay together or worse - the coach finds another back who really wants to play back... I'll refrain from commenting about "an honest coach."
Tough decisions trying to guide your DD as best you can. It's this part of soccer I like the least.

Last edited by mad-baller on 13/08/12, 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
mad-baller
mad-baller
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigfoot 13/08/12, 11:03 pm

First why is she a great forward? Size and speed or skill and ability?

If its size and speed then i would contimue on a team with a coach that is good and will teach the game, no matter the position.

Too many players grow early and slowly decline due to other girls catching up and what they could do at a young age doesnt work as they get older.

If its skill then and ability then she will eventually get to play the spot she is best at, unless you are a normal parent and think your DD is better than she really is.

Most top teams at a young age are not the best player just the biggest and fastest. and I admit there is no answer for speed but trust me the others catch up when it starts to matter.

Make sure your daughter learns the game (should be able to play mulitiple positions) and continues to develop. Until about the U-15 year its more important to develop than win, if not you will regret it later.
Bigfoot
Bigfoot
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by golgolgol 13/08/12, 11:33 pm

mad-baller wrote:So, my DD is a killer forward - was top scorer for her team - and recently moved to what is without question is the best team in her age group.

Thanks

Hey, you don't happen to be the author of this blog, do you?

http://soccermomrambling.blogspot.com/
golgolgol
golgolgol
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by bigheadpena 13/08/12, 11:44 pm

Don't try to fit in try to make a difference.
bigheadpena
bigheadpena
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Coach&Ref 13/08/12, 11:54 pm

bigheadpena wrote:Don't try to fit in try to make a difference.

HEY BROTHER!!!! (reference to another post)!

I like it. I'm going to steal it. Hope its not trademarked.

Laughing
Coach&Ref
Coach&Ref
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by grassyknoll 14/08/12, 12:33 am

Thanks

Did you check out this top teams forwards before moving?
grassyknoll
grassyknoll
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by travelin light 14/08/12, 06:56 am

I would think that if this team is a legendary academy team, then the coach must have some idea of what they're doing. Play it out for the season, and if your daughter is still playing defender and not enjoying her experience, then bail out. There are plenty of other teams that she could probably play mid or forward. I agree with some of the other posts that it is a good idea to encourage your child to learn to play all positions, as it teaches them the game from numerous perspectives.
travelin light
travelin light
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by SolarPower00 14/08/12, 07:18 am

This is so typical. We leave a team where my DD is exceling and playing with her friends....and join the super team dad wants her to play for....and now we're not happy. Shocker.

The good news is that the sister team always needs help from the top team and your DD will get plenty of opportunities to score in those games. But I'm thinking that won't satisfy your ego.
SolarPower00
SolarPower00
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by textigerfan 14/08/12, 07:53 am

Whatever happens, just make sure SHE is having fun and bonding with the girls. No scholarships will be handed out anytime soon at that level.
textigerfan
textigerfan
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

What to do when you DD isn't getting the position she moved teams for Empty My 2 Cents

Post by DDPlays4Snacks 14/08/12, 08:01 am

Baller-Dude, Your DD is in the academy program. If you are one year out from select, use the Fall season to visit a set of coaches and clubs you have researched and think may have something to offer for your DD's development (playing time, and skills). While doing that, find a solid skills coach that you can schedule regular weekly sessions with (hopefully the skills coach has 2 to 3 other advanced kids attending at the same time). Then, if you have found a good fit, use the Spring season to solidify relationships and position on that team.
If you are a couple years out, then visit many programs, get rid of the notion that your daughter is a "forward", can she even tie her shoes? Typecasting at an early age is limiting for full development. Play more 4v4 and 3v3, who's the forward in that scheme?

By visiting a lot of coaches and programs you are gaining insurance for the inevitable time that a team blows up prior to signing because of all the parent egos or the coach's communication short-comings. When that happens, your DD will know who she wants to play for, instead of you driving her down some ego driven path.

Oh and don't burn any bridges, which may be hard to do if you are already saying your daughter is the "killer" forward. Great coaches will evaluate players based on tendencies, current skills, coachability, and potential.
DDPlays4Snacks
DDPlays4Snacks
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 14/08/12, 09:05 am

okay the problem with being a big fish in a little pond is it's all about you and you get what you want. Jumping to a big pond means you are no longer a big fish. She doesn't need to be given a forward position, she needs to go into practice and "take" one. It's not up to the coach it's up to the player. Now if she is clearly out playing the other forwards and not being given the opportunity then that warrants a conversation. When BB was in academy I felt like he was one of the best players on the field (midfield) but for the game the coach always played him at right back even though he was a smaller kid. I talked with the coach and he explained. He didn't see him as a defender, but he is one of the best kids on the team and very difficult to score on. If we can't get scored on we always have a chance to win so right now the "team" needs him on defense. The next season he moved him into midfield and he was a much better player. His improved defensive ability allowed him to shut a midfield down and win all of the balls. So now he can not only attack, he can prevent the other team from developing an attack. It bothered me at first but I was wrong and the coach was right
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by mad-baller 14/08/12, 09:10 am

All this feedback is FANTASTIC - thank you.
She does "just need to play" - and the coach does know what he is doing.
Working on a team where ever girl is digging in and always on their toes is a much better environment.
So, I guess we'll continue to try this for a while and I'm just going to need her to get in her head she's got to earn a front-spot and learn another part of the field in the interim.
I do think the coach lied to me, but I'll just have to accept that part of it.
mad-baller
mad-baller
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by DrSoccer 14/08/12, 09:12 am

being on the best team is meaningless until u16, absolutely meaningless. being with a good coach (not winning) is essential. I would move in 1 heartbeat if the coach asked your dd to come as a fwd and then moved her. Either he lied to you intentionally, or he misjudged your dds ability, or the team is run by the parents. And like another poster said a large % of top players are mids, then fwds, as the level increases (nat team, reg teams, college - not academy) players are moved from fwd or mid to defenders. Defenders are also not highly recruited by colleges.Why? because defenders are not taught to be skillful, they are destroyers not creators. If your dd can run and kick and push, then shes a great club defender. And keep in mind if your dd is on the best team as a defender she's probs not involved very much in the game, much like your goalie.
DrSoccer
DrSoccer
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner9 14/08/12, 09:17 am

mad-baller wrote:

We'd be gone in a heartbeat.

Gunner9
Gunner9
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 14/08/12, 09:19 am

a few seasons ago DD's team had a forward come over that turned out to a spectacular defender and she really enjoys it. One thing to keep in mind is Defender is one of the easiest paths to a college scholorship. Forwards are dime a dozen so you had better be amazing or able to play a different position or you aren't getting one.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 14/08/12, 09:36 am

Oh and talk to the coach. Don't guess or think, know. Tell him your concerns and ask what the plan is for your DD. A good coach should be able to explain why she is where she is and what the plan is for her
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 14/08/12, 09:38 am

mad-baller wrote:All this feedback is FANTASTIC - thank you.
She does "just need to play" - and the coach does know what he is doing.
Working on a team where ever girl is digging in and always on their toes is a much better environment.
So, I guess we'll continue to try this for a while and I'm just going to need her to get in her head she's got to earn a front-spot and learn another part of the field in the interim.
If your DD really loves this new team and she really loves playing fullback, then I think this is definitely the correct course of action. If she doesn’t though, by sticking this out, you’re potentially making a big mistake. Above all things soccer should be fun, particularly for younger children with their more delicate psyches. If this situation isn’t fun for her as things are, you need to move her.

Some of us think that our DD’s love for soccer is infinite but that’s never the case. All of us, even kids, have limits.

You better know, with a crystal clear understanding, that your DD is thrilled with her current situation. If you don’t, and you let soccer stop being fun for her because you wanted your DD on a “legendary team”, she’ll be burned out in months. The signs will be subtle at first so you better be paying close attention.

If she decides she wants to stop playing and leave the game entirely, it won’t matter which legendary academy team she USED TO play with. All that will matter is that she’s a girl that USED TO play soccer but doesn't anymore.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next