Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Latest topics
TEXAS SPURS FC 04G MCMULLANToday at 12:37 amsoccergoals
FC USA 04G Looking for playersToday at 12:02 amnolanryan
Inter United FC 07 Boys Today at 12:01 amInterUnitedFC
Odyssey SC 04G - Keller/Southlake/FWToday at 12:01 ammaxon
Lake Highlands D1 team looking for goalkeeperYesterday at 11:33 pmApodaca64
Dallas Texans 05 ECNL Open PracticesYesterday at 11:20 pmsoccermom1980
Solar 02 FDL Naizer looking for Elite PlayersYesterday at 10:49 pmSolarkeeperdad01
Solar 02 FDL-Naizer Open Practices Yesterday at 10:49 pmSolarkeeperdad01
FC Dallas 08g West Blue (Roanoke, Keller, Colleyville)Yesterday at 10:38 pmHmeleven
Panther City FC 2010 U8 - Aledo / West Fort Worth - LookingYesterday at 10:33 pmcoachmbw
FC Dallas 06G JDL Open TrainingYesterday at 10:30 pmArelag
Liverpool Elite 05 girls (D1 champs)Yesterday at 10:24 pmColtMcVince
Dallas Texans Williams/ JDL 08 Open SessionsYesterday at 10:20 pmboflc
FC Dallas '01-West LHGCL DI (SRPL/TCL)Yesterday at 10:19 pmHoneybadger
SRSA 06 - PulpYesterday at 09:57 pmMedicine Man
New travel leagues announced by LH and PPLYesterday at 09:44 pmMedicine Man
Fort Worth Thunder 08 BoysYesterday at 08:43 pmjgarcia303030
FC Dallas 05G West Red Adding to RosterYesterday at 08:18 pm05G FCD West Red
Let's Get it Started 2009s!Yesterday at 07:27 pmGolaso09
FCUSA TX 06G - Looking for playersYesterday at 06:27 pmFCUSA
06 Impact Royal Looking to Expand RosterYesterday at 06:25 pmImpactRoyal
Impact FC Royal Open PracticesYesterday at 06:23 pmImpactRoyal
FCUSA TX 01G - Open PracticesYesterday at 06:21 pmFCUSA
01G Classic League team looking for interested 02 playersYesterday at 06:17 pmFCUSA
STING 01 GIRLS (TCL, LHGCL D1, D2, and D3 Teams)Yesterday at 05:39 pmallsoccer
Log in

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 12010 registered users
The newest registered user is colette1

Our users have posted a total of 173985 messages in 22280 subjects

Spirit Red North Coaching Change

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Spirit Red North Coaching Change

Post by socrocks on 08/01/10, 03:08 pm

Heard that there's been a coaching change at Spirit Red North. Can't confirm 100% but rumor has it that Peter Polichetti has stepped down and Sid Khoury is taking the team.

Shocking news for me. This would end a long run for Sly.

Anyone have verification or details they're willing to share?
avatar
socrocks
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Posts : 516
Points : 3862
Join date : 2009-05-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Spirit Red North Coaching Change

Post by Bigfoot on 09/01/10, 10:02 am

This would be a strange time for Sid to pick up another team with the HS season just starting.
He already coaches the 97's and 00's or 01's.
avatar
Bigfoot
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Posts : 767
Points : 4131
Join date : 2009-05-08
Age : 50
Location : Paying for Select soccer

Back to top Go down

Re: Spirit Red North Coaching Change

Post by turftoe9 on 09/01/10, 10:24 am

Bigfoot wrote:This would be a strange time for Sid to pick up another team with the HS season just starting.
He already coaches the 97's and 00's or 01's.
So what's the answer?
avatar
turftoe9
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Posts : 740
Points : 4076
Join date : 2009-05-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Spirit Red North Coaching Change

Post by Spolar on 09/01/10, 11:41 am

Correction. Sid coaches '97 and '98 girls in LHGCL but not academy teams. Haven't heard about this change but it would be a sad day. Peter had been instrumental in the early development of my 2 dds.
avatar
Spolar
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 144
Points : 3263
Join date : 2010-01-09

Back to top Go down

Coaching change

Post by Bluemonster on 09/01/10, 04:52 pm

True.
Parent 1: Our girls had learned all they could from Peter so a change was made
Parent 2: Change came suddenly from Plano in the form of Wilco telling us.
Analysis: Parents complained and the club felt that non-relegation was something that might be solved by tactical changes. Net is that half of the parents and players are pissed, half are content with change, all will be looking if the change does not work. It is a certainty that relegation could have a detrimental effect on the north division, especially in a recessionary economy

__________________________________________________
If I disagree with you, it is because you are wrong!
avatar
Bluemonster
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Posts : 68
Points : 3312
Join date : 2009-07-24
Age : 60
Location : On the beach

Back to top Go down

Re: Spirit Red North Coaching Change

Post by mayday on 10/01/10, 09:59 am

Blue...I assume your dd plays for Spirit?

Question: Did the parents actually believe that, with all of the off-season defections at the last minute, that this team would have some measure of success in DI this year?
The 96's were left undersized (from what I've seen) and without finishing ability. If the girls had really learned all they could from Peter, why not request the change prior to the beginning of the fall season? Or did his knowledge well run dry, coincidentally, with all the losses during the fall?

Bottom line is these parents who complained are delusional to believe that Sid or anyone else can pull any aces out at this point to avoid relegation (which is that such a bad thing, considering above mentioned defections?).

Do the parents seriously want to stay DI and continue to get driven week in/out?

It was a terrific Cinderella story, but as usual, parents think they know more about the game than the coaches do. The book is closed on this team, and it's unfortunate at best.
avatar
mayday
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Posts : 662
Points : 3868
Join date : 2009-09-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Spirit Red North Coaching Change

Post by Bigfoot on 10/01/10, 10:16 am

Bluemonster wrote:True.
Parent 1: Our girls had learned all they could from Peter so a change was made
Parent 2: Change came suddenly from Plano in the form of Wilco telling us.
Analysis: Parents complained and the club felt that non-relegation was something that might be solved by tactical changes. Net is that half of the parents and players are pissed, half are content with change, all will be looking if the change does not work. It is a certainty that relegation could have a detrimental effect on the north division, especially in a recessionary economy

Is the econmy worse in D2?
I don't think the team will fold if they move to D2, there are plenty of players out there looking to play on a quality D2 team.
As far as leaving the team for another D1 team, there is only about 3-4 players that I think a D1 team would take and none of them would be impact players and the economy does get better when you pay to watch your dd sit on the bench.
avatar
Bigfoot
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Posts : 767
Points : 4131
Join date : 2009-05-08
Age : 50
Location : Paying for Select soccer

Back to top Go down

Current thread

Post by Bluemonster on 10/01/10, 11:13 am

One: My daughters do not play for Texas Spirit but are classmates of some and friends of a few more girls there.
Two: My observation was that some of the better players likely complained about losing and the club wants to try to keep them and avoid relegation. I agree that there are too few bullets in the gun to be competitive in D-1 but their hope is that change for change's sake, coupled with a few stumbles by other of the bottom D-1 teams might preserve that slot. Certainly having a D-1 team in the North (or at all for that matter) is a recruiting plus
Three: Like many businesses in a tough economy; well run and financed large clubs have done okay and entrepenurial startups have sprouted up as well. The clubs in the middle have had mixed results, being poached for players from both the large and the small. Having a few teams playing in the highest levels; having some well regarded coaches with striong track records; and doing this with maneagable fees is and continues to be a challenge for the middle size clubs, especially those are gender specific.

I don't believe that a coaching change will prevent relegation and I suspect that those "top players" will leave if they can find a home. If that happens I suspect that since the club holds the spot, that the D-2 team next year will be a merger of the best of the Plano teams and the North team under one of the Plano coaches.

__________________________________________________
If I disagree with you, it is because you are wrong!
avatar
Bluemonster
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Posts : 68
Points : 3312
Join date : 2009-07-24
Age : 60
Location : On the beach

Back to top Go down

Re: Spirit Red North Coaching Change

Post by wornout on 10/01/10, 11:43 am

Bluemonster wrote:One: My daughters do not play for Texas Spirit but are classmates of some and friends of a few more girls there.
Two: My observation was that some of the better players likely complained about losing and the club wants to try to keep them and avoid relegation. I agree that there are too few bullets in the gun to be competitive in D-1 but their hope is that change for change's sake, coupled with a few stumbles by other of the bottom D-1 teams might preserve that slot. Certainly having a D-1 team in the North (or at all for that matter) is a recruiting plus
Three: Like many businesses in a tough economy; well run and financed large clubs have done okay and entrepenurial startups have sprouted up as well. The clubs in the middle have had mixed results, being poached for players from both the large and the small. Having a few teams playing in the highest levels; having some well regarded coaches with striong track records; and doing this with maneagable fees is and continues to be a challenge for the middle size clubs, especially those are gender specific.

I don't believe that a coaching change will prevent relegation and I suspect that those "top players" will leave if they can find a home. If that happens I suspect that since the club holds the spot, that the D-2 team next year will be a merger of the best of the Plano teams and the North team under one of the Plano coaches.
If this team wants any kind of success in the Spring, they need to stop thinking of themselves as a D1 team, and instead as a good D2 team who happens to be playing in a D1 league. They will not avoid moving back to D2, and that's not a bad thing for these girls. However, "know-it-all" parents won't be able sit by for this, and for those that do leave, good luck! The grass is mostly never greener on the other side. Spirit should have told those parents to "pound sand" and if they want to leave after the Season, fine, leave. The Club keeps the bye and will be fine in D2. Good luck to those who don't bolt at the first sign of a struggle, but want to work through it. That is a real defining moment of a quality player and teammate.
avatar
wornout
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Posts : 42
Points : 3097
Join date : 2010-01-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Spirit Red North Coaching Change

Post by mayday on 10/01/10, 09:59 pm

Blue, Big, Worn...You all stated it better than I could've and help articulate my overarching point, which is that, TSN 96 IS a decent D2 team (as is), which is where they were at the beginning of last season, remember? And, I'm sure all who are reading will recall that it was Peter's coaching (as well as solid play from a good group of girls which included two stars who defected last minute) who got it done and moved on to D I.
How then, can it be reasoned, that the very coach who did it one time wouldn't be the PERFECT candidate to do it again. If you know Peter, you know he's a quality coach...not that Sid isn't, but Sid didn't build this team, Peter did. Further, Sid is in the middle of high school soccer season and coaching 2 other select teams, which doesn't lend itself to a whole lot of time to recruit.
A good man got the shaft here because of a few squeaky parts who needed to be put in their place instead of being catered to by spineless management.
avatar
mayday
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Posts : 662
Points : 3868
Join date : 2009-09-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Spirit Red North Coaching Change

Post by 96Guru on 11/01/10, 07:04 am

I hate to see it go down like this for Sly. He is really a great person who has overcome some huge challenges in his life. Although, coaching changes can make a good bit of difference at times. It can be healthier for team to get a new coach after the first couple of years of select.
One thing is certain, Spirit will be going from one extreme to another on sideline personalities
avatar
96Guru
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 329
Points : 3730
Join date : 2009-05-03
Location : Boiling Crawfish!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Re: Spirit Red North Coaching Change

Post by wornout on 11/01/10, 12:07 pm

mayday wrote:Blue, Big, Worn...You all stated it better than I could've and help articulate my overarching point, which is that, TSN 96 IS a decent D2 team (as is), which is where they were at the beginning of last season, remember? And, I'm sure all who are reading will recall that it was Peter's coaching (as well as solid play from a good group of girls which included two stars who defected last minute) who got it done and moved on to D I.
How then, can it be reasoned, that the very coach who did it one time wouldn't be the PERFECT candidate to do it again. If you know Peter, you know he's a quality coach...not that Sid isn't, but Sid didn't build this team, Peter did. Further, Sid is in the middle of high school soccer season and coaching 2 other select teams, which doesn't lend itself to a whole lot of time to recruit.
A good man got the shaft here because of a few squeaky parts who needed to be put in their place instead of being catered to by spineless management.

Just because you are on a team in D1, doesn't make you a D1 player (same is true in other divsions). That team didn't recruit, for whatever reason, to be able to play at the level of the competition, and now they are paying the price. However, this isn't the only team where spineless management went the side of the parents. However, more times than not, when a coaching change like this is made, it never works out well for the team. Look at TWN 96G. They went to the club, asked for a change, got it, and now they have one win in league play, went to Florida and lost all 3 games and didn't score a goal, and will probably be relegated to D3. Hope that Peter lands on his feet with other teams.
avatar
wornout
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Posts : 42
Points : 3097
Join date : 2010-01-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Spirit Red North Coaching Change

Post by Guest on 11/01/10, 03:49 pm



Who is Texas Spirit? It seems to be a mid-sized club that offers a team for "all comers." Definitely not a D1 organization – never has been and probably never will be. That goal would start at the top but that goal has never been in place. There's nothing wrong with that. But if this is who Spirit is, why would anyone expect more from PP? Relatively speaking, the 96 Spirit North is one of the best teams in the club.

Club officials and parents, do you really think this team is D1 quality? If so, you are very wrong. The team probably even over-achieved in D2. By losing 2 top players the team was weakened. When you don't build your program to attract and keep D1 players, you can expect defections. Why would you be surprised? And more importantly, why would you blame the coach?

Is there more to this situation than meets the eye, ala Mike Leach? If that's the case then spill it. But, if PP's removal was based on this team underachieving and him shouldering the blame, your mutiny was misdirected. However good Sid might be, neither he nor any other coach will take this group and close the 4-5 goal per game gap to make them a D1 team.

Look in the mirror – identify who you are. Your stay in D2 might be shorter than expected, but come to grips with the fact you won't be seeing D1 again.


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Spirit Red North Coaching Change

Post by DrSoccer on 11/01/10, 04:35 pm

Back - At one time Spirit was a dominant NTX girls club, better than Txns. Their last great teame were the 88s, the top team in LH D1. Their Coach took them to the Texans at some point, which pretty much spelled the end of the club's run. I don't think the coach stayed at Txns long, but I believe she has recently started coaching again? Can't remember her name but she was a talented coach.
avatar
DrSoccer
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Posts : 531
Points : 3862
Join date : 2009-05-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Spirit Red North Coaching Change

Post by metro on 12/01/10, 07:32 am

Backtrackin wrote:

Who is Texas Spirit? It seems to be a mid-sized club that offers a team for "all comers." Definitely not a D1 organization – never has been and probably never will be. That goal would start at the top but that goal has never been in place. There's nothing wrong with that. But if this is who Spirit is, why would anyone expect more from PP? Relatively speaking, the 96 Spirit North is one of the best teams in the club.

Club officials and parents, do you really think this team is D1 quality? If so, you are very wrong. The team probably even over-achieved in D2. By losing 2 top players the team was weakened. When you don't build your program to attract and keep D1 players, you can expect defections. Why would you be surprised? And more importantly, why would you blame the coach?

Is there more to this situation than meets the eye, ala Mike Leach? If that's the case then spill it. But, if PP's removal was based on this team underachieving and him shouldering the blame, your mutiny was misdirected. However good Sid might be, neither he nor any other coach will take this group and close the 4-5 goal per game gap to make them a D1 team.

Look in the mirror – identify who you are. Your stay in D2 might be shorter than expected, but come to grips with the fact you won't be seeing D1 again.


Sid did have one of the top 96 girls team in academy for many years.(Sid's Kickers....became Texans....folded) They were the team to beat in academy. Maybe they think he can get some of his old players back and reform the team.
avatar
metro
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 469
Points : 3879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 42
Location : Somewhere watching soccer

Back to top Go down

Re: Spirit Red North Coaching Change

Post by bronxdad on 12/01/10, 07:56 am

I saw Sid working out a bunch of girls Sunday afternoon @ Denton High, they were in red and appeared to be 96or97s
avatar
bronxdad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 271
Points : 3658
Join date : 2009-05-04
Location : DFW USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Spirit Red North Coaching Change

Post by berserker13 on 12/01/10, 07:58 am

DrSoccer wrote:Back - At one time Spirit was a dominant NTX girls club, better than Txns. Their last great teame were the 88s, the top team in LH D1. Their Coach took them to the Texans at some point, which pretty much spelled the end of the club's run. I don't think the coach stayed at Txns long, but I believe she has recently started coaching again? Can't remember her name but she was a talented coach.

Keri Stark (don't know what her maiden name was when she coached the 88s) She is back with the club and is coaching the 95s.
avatar
berserker13
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 198
Points : 3533
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 45
Location : back in Texas

Back to top Go down

Re: Spirit Red North Coaching Change

Post by berserker13 on 12/01/10, 08:11 am

Backtrackin wrote:

Who is Texas Spirit? It seems to be a mid-sized club that offers a team for "all comers." Definitely not a D1 organization – never has been and probably never will be. That goal would start at the top but that goal has never been in place. There's nothing wrong with that. But if this is who Spirit is, why would anyone expect more from PP? Relatively speaking, the 96 Spirit North is one of the best teams in the club.

Club officials and parents, do you really think this team is D1 quality? If so, you are very wrong. The team probably even over-achieved in D2. By losing 2 top players the team was weakened. When you don't build your program to attract and keep D1 players, you can expect defections. Why would you be surprised? And more importantly, why would you blame the coach?

Is there more to this situation than meets the eye, ala Mike Leach? If that's the case then spill it. But, if PP's removal was based on this team underachieving and him shouldering the blame, your mutiny was misdirected. However good Sid might be, neither he nor any other coach will take this group and close the 4-5 goal per game gap to make them a D1 team.

Look in the mirror – identify who you are. Your stay in D2 might be shorter than expected, but come to grips with the fact you won't be seeing D1 again.

I don't know much about this particular 96 Spirit North team, but your comments about the Spirit club are pretty ignorant. Define what a D1 club is? What is it that attracts and maintains D1 players? If a club that takes "all comers" is not a D1 club, then by your definition the only 'D1 club' would be the D'feeters. (and not all of their teams are D1, althoguh most are) All other clubs (Texans, Solar, FD Dallas, Sting, etc.) take 'all comers' and form lower division teams. Why comment on a club you obviously have never been associated with? Where do you get the insight to know that the club's goals are not to be a 'D1 club'?
avatar
berserker13
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 198
Points : 3533
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 45
Location : back in Texas

Back to top Go down

Re: Spirit Red North Coaching Change

Post by bronxdad on 12/01/10, 08:33 am

[/quote]METRO

Sid did have one of the top 96 girls team in academy for many years.(Sid's Kickers....became Texans....folded) They were the team to beat in academy. Maybe they think he can get some of his old players back and reform the team.[/quote]

Yes he did; but the Kickers aka Storm were almost all Denton girls. UIL rules will not allow him to coach any of these girls that would attend Denton High and I doubt any other DISD coach would want their players on his club team. But he is a great coach and he could make an impact on this team/club.
avatar
bronxdad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 271
Points : 3658
Join date : 2009-05-04
Location : DFW USA

Back to top Go down

Coaching Change

Post by Bluemonster on 12/01/10, 09:52 am

As I said before I believe the hope of the club is that change may garner enough ties/wins/points to move up to or ahead of the two teams in front of them, none of which have set the world on fire either. Sid will not coach this team past this season because of his high school coaching position so the task in front of him is to find tactics that can accomplish the club goal (think Dean Smith and the Four Corners offense). Pretty much crap for development of players but development is not the goal here. The club will also need to have a succession plan in place to help recruit players come July regardless of where the team winds up.
As far as a D-1 club mentality, I don't buy it. Top D-1 teams train their players tactically and expect the players to work on their individual skills both on their own and/or by leveraging resources within the club. If they do not they fall behind and they are gone the next year. It requires mental discipline and time commitments from players and parents alike to do this. Since it is easier, from a "releases" point of view, to take skills within the club and to have a variety of coaches/programs from which to choose from to accomplish their goals, large clubs usually have the advantage. It is difficult for smaller clubs to provide these type of resources unless they have full time coaches who are both skills strong and have the time to do this type of training. All of the clubs I have seen want to have a D-1 team; it is sustaining it that is the problem.

__________________________________________________
If I disagree with you, it is because you are wrong!
avatar
Bluemonster
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Posts : 68
Points : 3312
Join date : 2009-07-24
Age : 60
Location : On the beach

Back to top Go down

Re: Spirit Red North Coaching Change

Post by Guest on 12/01/10, 10:34 am

berserker13 wrote:
Backtrackin wrote:

Who is Texas Spirit? It seems to be a mid-sized club that offers a team for "all comers." Definitely not a D1 organization – never has been and probably never will be. That goal would start at the top but that goal has never been in place. There's nothing wrong with that. But if this is who Spirit is, why would anyone expect more from PP? Relatively speaking, the 96 Spirit North is one of the best teams in the club.

Club officials and parents, do you really think this team is D1 quality? If so, you are very wrong. The team probably even over-achieved in D2. By losing 2 top players the team was weakened. When you don't build your program to attract and keep D1 players, you can expect defections. Why would you be surprised? And more importantly, why would you blame the coach?

Is there more to this situation than meets the eye, ala Mike Leach? If that's the case then spill it. But, if PP's removal was based on this team underachieving and him shouldering the blame, your mutiny was misdirected. However good Sid might be, neither he nor any other coach will take this group and close the 4-5 goal per game gap to make them a D1 team.

Look in the mirror – identify who you are. Your stay in D2 might be shorter than expected, but come to grips with the fact you won't be seeing D1 again.

I don't know much about this particular 96 Spirit North team, but your comments about the Spirit club are pretty ignorant. Define what a D1 club is? What is it that attracts and maintains D1 players? If a club that takes "all comers" is not a D1 club, then by your definition the only 'D1 club' would be the D'feeters. (and not all of their teams are D1, althoguh most are) All other clubs (Texans, Solar, FD Dallas, Sting, etc.) take 'all comers' and form lower division teams. Why comment on a club you obviously have never been associated with? Where do you get the insight to know that the club's goals are not to be a 'D1 club'?

Texans, Sting, D'feeters, Solar (Red) and FC Dallas are programs that have established themselves as D1 clubs. They are not wannabe's. All of these clubs (except D'feeters) can provide a team for the non D1 player too. All you have to do is scroll through the Lake Highlands website and look at who fills out the D1 leagues. Those teams are not there by accident or by virtue of wishful thinking. These clubs have made it a priority to have D1 teams. This is done through aggressive Academy programs, constant recruiting (players and coaches), having decent facilities and more importantly a cohesive plan. At some point all of the planning and hard work makes a program successful - and that success perpetuates itself.

Since my comments are so ignorant, why don't you explain to me why a D1 player would want to go to Texas Spirit? Is it their reputation, the best coaches, superior development, awesome facilities, a track record of top notch scholarship placements? Maybe I'm missing something but what exactly do they offer? I'll hang up and listen.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Spirit Red North Coaching Change

Post by mayday on 12/01/10, 12:55 pm

Back- I think you're missing the boat here a little bit (not to mention displaying a fair bit of an elitist attitude).

There are PLENTY of DI 'players' currently competing on DII and even DIII teams. I don't think anyone with any soccer IQ/experience would deny that. Don't confuse star quality with DI quality though. The teams you mention as perennials have and likely will continue to have presence in all ages LHGCL all divisions, DI included. And "YES" star quality players will want to be on the biggest stages, but locality still means something to parents, as does cash. Friendship still means a TON to the girls. If a local team (relatively speaking) is built up like Spirit was, and my dd was a good player on a DII or DIII team, I might take a look if there were spots available at the end of a season. Problem was, there weren't many spots on this team after last year, and nobody knew that two impact players were skidaddling at the last minute.

While I don't believe Spirit management at the top is efficient (or even adequate in the scenario of this thread), mid-sized clubs (like Spirit) offer good coaching at reasonable prices in close proximity to parents. Further, many of the girls attend school together and are close friends. The facilities used are decent, not Ross Stewart or PHP, but decent.

Will Spirit ever be a top program again? Who knows? But I wouldn't think they, or any other mid level club, are a poor choice either.
avatar
mayday
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Posts : 662
Points : 3868
Join date : 2009-09-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Spirit Red North Coaching Change

Post by berserker13 on 12/01/10, 01:02 pm

Backtrackin wrote:
berserker13 wrote:
Backtrackin wrote:

Who is Texas Spirit? It seems to be a mid-sized club that offers a team for "all comers." Definitely not a D1 organization – never has been and probably never will be. That goal would start at the top but that goal has never been in place. There's nothing wrong with that. But if this is who Spirit is, why would anyone expect more from PP? Relatively speaking, the 96 Spirit North is one of the best teams in the club.

Club officials and parents, do you really think this team is D1 quality? If so, you are very wrong. The team probably even over-achieved in D2. By losing 2 top players the team was weakened. When you don't build your program to attract and keep D1 players, you can expect defections. Why would you be surprised? And more importantly, why would you blame the coach?

Is there more to this situation than meets the eye, ala Mike Leach? If that's the case then spill it. But, if PP's removal was based on this team underachieving and him shouldering the blame, your mutiny was misdirected. However good Sid might be, neither he nor any other coach will take this group and close the 4-5 goal per game gap to make them a D1 team.

Look in the mirror – identify who you are. Your stay in D2 might be shorter than expected, but come to grips with the fact you won't be seeing D1 again.

I don't know much about this particular 96 Spirit North team, but your comments about the Spirit club are pretty ignorant. Define what a D1 club is? What is it that attracts and maintains D1 players? If a club that takes "all comers" is not a D1 club, then by your definition the only 'D1 club' would be the D'feeters. (and not all of their teams are D1, althoguh most are) All other clubs (Texans, Solar, FD Dallas, Sting, etc.) take 'all comers' and form lower division teams. Why comment on a club you obviously have never been associated with? Where do you get the insight to know that the club's goals are not to be a 'D1 club'?

Texans, Sting, D'feeters, Solar (Red) and FC Dallas are programs that have established themselves as D1 clubs. They are not wannabe's. All of these clubs (except D'feeters) can provide a team for the non D1 player too. All you have to do is scroll through the Lake Highlands website and look at who fills out the D1 leagues. Those teams are not there by accident or by virtue of wishful thinking. These clubs have made it a priority to have D1 teams. This is done through aggressive Academy programs, constant recruiting (players and coaches), having decent facilities and more importantly a cohesive plan. At some point all of the planning and hard work makes a program successful - and that success perpetuates itself.

Since my comments are so ignorant, why don't you explain to me why a D1 player would want to go to Texas Spirit? Is it their reputation, the best coaches, superior development, awesome facilities, a track record of top notch scholarship placements? Maybe I'm missing something but what exactly do they offer? I'll hang up and listen.
Why would a D1 player want to come to Texas Spirit? - Why not?
It is true that success perpetuates itself, that is why the big clubs continue to dominate the D1 ranks. The big clubs also have a bigger pool to draw from and create elite teams. Your attitude that you have to be at a big club to get something out of it, is what also perpetuates the big clubs staying big.
I've had experience as a parent with Blachwatch (now Solar), FC Dallas, Texans and Sting. None of those clubs offer much more or less than I have now at Spirit. Mainly it is about the coach. I feel that I am getting better coaching than I have had in the past. I feel that both of my DDs have gotten great development from their coaches at Spirit. Spirit also uses the same goalkeeper coachs as Sting. The facilities at Spirit are on par with all those other clubs, and is in fact better than what we got with Sting, Texans and Blackwatch. Sting and Texans frequently used parks and were bounced around a lot. I would have to say that FC Dallas has great facilities. I am talking about the Spirit facility in Plano, I don't know where Spirit North practices. A big part of the reason I like my DD's teams is the attitude of the parents and girls.
Scholarship opportunities: Go to the Spirit website. I don't know whether these girls all got scholarships, but it lists 12 girls that are playing in college from the class of 2009 (all off of one team). This seems pretty consistent from year to year. I know that all the Select teams participate in the Houston showcase each year.
I know I'm not going to convince those that only believe in the big club theory, but I ask that you don't bash a smaller club, without having some first hand knowledge of that club. Even those big clubs where I have had experience, I don't go out and bash them, because I know that I've only experience a small part of that club. The most important thing is to get a coach that works for you and your situation.
avatar
berserker13
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 198
Points : 3533
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 45
Location : back in Texas

Back to top Go down

Re: Spirit Red North Coaching Change

Post by Guest on 12/01/10, 02:22 pm

Maybe I haven't conveyed my point properly. I don't take exception to the fact that Spirit is the right place for a lot of kids, families and coaches. The majority of the girls playing soccer are not playing D1 and probably never will. I completely agree that Spirit is a fine choice for a neighborhood grown team that doesn't take it as seriously (nor expensively) as the big clubs do. It's the EXPECTATIONS for this team that I call into question.

This thread and my thrust were directed at the PP situation. The talk here was that PP was released because a portion of the parents were not happy with the team's progress (likely relegation) and demanded a change. The club apparently obliged.

My point – IF that is why he was released, the parents AND the Spirit triggermen have the blood of an innocent coach on their hands.

Political correctness aside, the current roster (as a unit) is not capable of playing at the D1 level, period. The parents are either delusional or watching something else on the field if they believe that. Additionally, whether by choice, or by just not executing a good plan, Spirit management has not put enough of the key components in place to expect that the 96 team should accomplish more than they have. They are a neighborhood team, for a middle-of-the-road club, no one should EXPECT this to be a D1 team. It just seems to me that PP was the "fall guy" for a lot of unrealistic expectations.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Spirit Red North Coaching Change

Post by berserker13 on 12/01/10, 03:22 pm

Back- I'm not arguing against your point. Like I've said, I don't know much about this team or coach. I would agree that the expectation of the parents were probably not realistic, if they expected to win in D1 after promotion and losing 2 key players. It also doesn't make sense to go get the coach that got them there fired because they didn't win at that level. Yet you still use language when making your point that is derogetory of the club and not completely correct, that is my point. You say that the club fine for a team that doesn't take it seriously. Why isn't the club fine for a team that does take it seriously? What makes you think that the players in the Spirit club will never play D1? My DD's 97 Spirit team has had 5 players that left and are playing on D1 teams now. My other DD's Spirit academy team is very competative, probably top 5 and would be D1 if select today.
You can make your point about this particular team based on the facts of this team, without chalking it up to the fact that Spirit is an inferior club. Your elitist attitude is why smaller clubs don't maintain D1 teams easily: the parents think the grass is greener and go to an established team. The LH bye system also make it very difficult to take a team and move up and break into the ranks. Its far easier for parents to simply take their kids to the D1 team with the bye, and leave their old teammates to struggle to fill the gaps. A large club can absorb this movement especially when they have an established D1 team. So when it comes to recruiting, yes, we are not as good as the big clubs, mainly because the club follows the rules and does not recruit (its up to the parents).
avatar
berserker13
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 198
Points : 3533
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 45
Location : back in Texas

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum