Latest topics
» Lake Highlands?
by db10 Today at 12:37 am

» KW and her White Walkers
by GK dad07 Yesterday at 10:33 pm

» LFC IA Texas' 08G Barnes GK guest opportunity
by R.A.M Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» LFC IA Texas 04G Barnes guest player Labor Day
by R.A.M Yesterday at 10:16 pm

» 09 Girls Teams - U90C Labor Day Open (Sept 1-4)
by U90C Yesterday at 05:21 pm

» 07G Developmental Team looking for at-Level Scrimmages
by worldsoccer Yesterday at 04:43 pm

» TOURNAMENT: U90C Labor Day Open - Sept 1-4
by U90C Yesterday at 04:34 pm

» 07 Girls Teams - U90C Labor Day Open (Sept 1-4)
by U90C Yesterday at 04:01 pm

» 08 Girls Teams - U90C Labor Day Open (Sept 1-4)
by U90C Yesterday at 04:01 pm

» 09 FCD Lew/Plano/Colony/Frisco, etc
by Tmattison Yesterday at 03:38 pm

» D'Feeters 07G - [Aranha]
by DNWGS Yesterday at 03:11 pm

» D'Feeters 06G - [Aranha]
by DNWGS Yesterday at 03:10 pm

» Solar premier cup champions
by ddgonz22 Yesterday at 02:38 pm

» U7 Girls Teams - U90C Labor Day Open (Sept 1-4)
by U90C Yesterday at 01:58 pm

» D'feeters 08 (Colón) looking
by pingo99 Yesterday at 01:10 pm

» 05 Girls Teams - U90C Labor Day Open (Sept 1-4)
by U90C Yesterday at 12:20 pm

» 06 Girls Teams - U90C Labor Day Open (Sept 1-4)
by U90C Yesterday at 11:04 am

» 04 Girls Teams - U90C Labor Day Open (Sept 1-4)
by U90C Yesterday at 09:52 am

» FBR 08 August 22nd 2017
by FBR08G Yesterday at 09:47 am

» Dallas Texans 09 Scarfone Looking for players
by Mpereztx10 Yesterday at 09:01 am

» Beat the Heat Tournament (Edmond, OK)
by OkieEnergyDad 22/08/17, 08:55 pm

» Solar 08 Hernandez/Fonseca
by fonseca.soccer 22/08/17, 07:35 pm

» Fort Worth Soccer Performance at APEC
by tnelsoncook19 22/08/17, 03:16 pm

» TOURNAMENT: THE ROCK - AUSTIN - November 10-12, 2017
by U90C 22/08/17, 02:42 pm

» TOURNAMENT: VETERAN HEROES CUP - November 10-12, 2017
by U90C 22/08/17, 02:37 pm

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

2015 Donation
Make your annual TxSoccer.Net donation and get recognized

If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!
Statistics
We have 11303 registered users
The newest registered user is BWsBW

Our users have posted a total of 161690 messages in 20333 subjects

PUMA CUP CANCELED

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: PUMA CUP CANCELED

Post by Honeybadger on 20/07/13, 11:46 pm

00scrmom wrote:Wow....why all the anger??  I can tell you they were not happy in the least of having to cancel the tournament.  Arlington just spent a ton of money on those fields, which you could tell they were in very good shape, so I'm sure they didn't want to have to do a ton of repair.

I was there and there was a lot of rain, a lot in a span of 10-15 mins that streets were flash flooding.  I left about 45 mins after they cancelled and there were still a ton of puddles on the fields.  They were not playable and no way were they going to dry enough to be able to reschedule all the remaining games.  

It sucks but you know what...it happens.  At least Lightning has offered to prorate the tournament and will refund the difference.  Sounds honorable to me.

Guarantee it won't be e last tournament cancelled in your DD's career....you can bet on it!

Don't know what you were looking at but the fields were awful

Honeybadger
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 196
Join date : 2011-11-26

Back to top Go down

Re: PUMA CUP CANCELED

Post by B166512 on 21/07/13, 01:18 am

Fields were flooded but dried out an hour later.
avatar
B166512
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Posts : 47
Points : 1811
Join date : 2012-11-01

Back to top Go down

Re: PUMA CUP CANCELED

Post by Barca on 21/07/13, 07:05 am

I saw Bracket C was completed. Downpour came after 4ish from what I've read... Anyone know the final scores on the other two brackets?
avatar
Barca
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 365
Points : 2009
Join date : 2013-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: PUMA CUP CANCELED

Post by SoccerX on 21/07/13, 07:24 am

Liverpool Barnes vs. FWFC 1-0

SoccerX
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Posts : 1
Points : 1838
Join date : 2012-08-13

Back to top Go down

Re: PUMA CUP CANCELED

Post by 00scrmom on 21/07/13, 09:53 am

soccerdad1969 wrote:
00scrmom wrote:Wow....why all the anger??  I can tell you they were not happy in the least of having to cancel the tournament.  Arlington just spent a ton of money on those fields, which you could tell they were in very good shape, so I'm sure they didn't want to have to do a ton of repair.

I was there and there was a lot of rain, a lot in a span of 10-15 mins that streets were flash flooding.  I left about 45 mins after they cancelled and there were still a ton of puddles on the fields.  They were not playable and no way were they going to dry enough to be able to reschedule all the remaining games.  

It sucks but you know what...it happens.  At least Lightning has offered to prorate the tournament and will refund the difference.  Sounds honorable to me.

Guarantee it won't be e last tournament cancelled in your DD's career....you can bet on it!
Sounds to me like they should have spent some of that money on better drainage if they have to cancel a tournament for a 10-15 minute rain.

Agree...some of the fields had awful drainage, some better than others. It didn't rain just 10-15 min, that was just the heaviest rain.
avatar
00scrmom
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Posts : 649
Points : 3332
Join date : 2010-08-01
Age : 48
Location : Wherever the pitch may be

Back to top Go down

Re: PUMA CUP CANCELED

Post by 03eagle on 21/07/13, 10:13 am

Beautiful in Arlington this morning. Kids at the hotel are going out to play their sports. Boooo, Puma Cup!
avatar
03eagle
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Posts : 41
Points : 1690
Join date : 2013-02-15

Back to top Go down

Re: PUMA CUP CANCELED

Post by TripDDs on 21/07/13, 12:51 pm

Everyone realizes it is not the tournament that cancels, the city cancels their ability to use the fields. There is nothing they can do, and if you play soccer past 03, this will not the last time a tournament gets canceled where you think they could have played.
avatar
TripDDs
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Posts : 99
Points : 1701
Join date : 2013-04-19

Back to top Go down

Re: PUMA CUP CANCELED

Post by 99eaglemountain on 21/07/13, 01:11 pm

TripDDs wrote:Everyone realizes it is not the tournament that cancels, the city cancels their ability to use the fields.  There is nothing they can do, and if you play soccer past 03, this will not the last time a tournament gets canceled where you think they could have played.

This is exactly my point.  The grounds crew (arlington) should have fixed the fields years ago.  Adding sod doesn't fix the problem.

99eaglemountain
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Posts : 4
Points : 1522
Join date : 2013-06-28

Back to top Go down

Re: PUMA CUP CANCELED

Post by Cleansheets on 21/07/13, 02:33 pm

Just got word from someone that the fields are fine and the out of town teams are being allowed to play friendlies today. Can anyone confirm this? If so shame on the Puma Cup!
avatar
Cleansheets
Original Supporting Member
Original Supporting Member

Posts : 1029
Points : 2790
Join date : 2012-12-20
Location : ...is everything

Back to top Go down

Re: PUMA CUP CANCELED

Post by Get the Record Straight on 21/07/13, 04:31 pm

I can confirm from a source who is playing today on that so call flooded field that they are playing games with teams who are from out of town. I was also told that the fields are better then they were friday. Shame on both puma cup and the City for short changing the boys and girls who were excited to play soccer. Some teams only played one game and to take their money is like stealing. And to say they are looking out for the safety of the kids when why have games today. They had games because the out of teams like Mexico did the right thing and put the tournament and the City on notice. Good for them but for the rest your screwed, take it as a loss, and write it off is what they are saying. In the words of the Bad News Bears "Let them Play" wait to late someone pulled the plug way to early and pulled the old Steve Miller Band song " Take the Money and Run" Thanks Puma Cup and the City of Arlington. Taking the Cowboys was not enough lol. Refunding for the games that were guaranteed is the right thing to do. If not RIP to the Puma cup or any games on thoses fields.

Get the Record Straight
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Posts : 18
Points : 1581
Join date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Re: PUMA CUP CANCELED

Post by Its Me on 21/07/13, 06:28 pm

Sometimes adults amaze me!  Why would the city want to purposely screw the kids when they do this tournament every year.  I was at the fields yesterday to ref the evening games and can tell you that the fields were unplayable.  There were big puddles of water everywhere.  For those parents that they know everything about tournaments and field maintenance, it happens!  If this is the first time that you've ever had a tournament cancel due to rain then this wasn't the first time and if you keep playing it's not going to be the last.  It wasn't the fields that were the bad part of the playing surface it was the muddy goal area.
Plus some of the fields had new sod. I agree that it was costly for the teams.
I have a U-19 and U-14 that play so I totally understand the frustration but that part of the price for playing select.   

As a referee I would not have let my game start with fields like that.  Not to see kids tear a knee or concussions due to slipping. How many injuries do you think "may" have happened if they said forget the safety factor and let's just make the parents happy. 

Yes, they did have games today.  They had 2 MP Fields (Football Fields) and the two (#10 #12) academy fields.  And there was only 1 big field (#15) that they played games on.  This was only for the teams from Mexico, Houston, and couple other  U7 teams.

I don't talk on the 03's site but get over it.  It happens.
avatar
Its Me
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Posts : 951
Points : 4072
Join date : 2009-07-20

Back to top Go down

Re: PUMA CUP CANCELED

Post by 00scrmom on 21/07/13, 06:39 pm

Its Me wrote:Sometimes adults amaze me!  Why would the city want to purposely screw the kids when they do this tournament every year.  I was at the fields yesterday to ref the evening games and can tell you that the fields were unplayable.  There were big puddles of water everywhere.  For those parents that they know everything about tournaments and field maintenance, it happens!  If this is the first time that you've ever had a tournament cancel due to rain then this wasn't the first time and if you keep playing it's not going to be the last.  It wasn't the fields that were the bad part of the playing surface it was the muddy goal area.
Plus some of the fields had new sod. I agree that it was costly for the teams.
I have a U-19 and U-14 that play so I totally understand the frustration but that part of the price for playing select.   

As a referee I would not have let my game start with fields like that.  Not to see kids tear a knee or concussions due to slipping. How many injuries do you think "may" have happened if they said forget the safety factor and let's just make the parents happy. 

Yes, they did have games today.  They had 2 MP Fields (Football Fields) and the two (#10 #12) academy fields.  And there was only 1 big field (#15) that they played games on.  This was only for the teams from Mexico, Houston, and couple other  U7 teams.

I don't talk on the 03's site but get over it.  It happens.

cheers  Well said. Nice to get a referees perspective as well.
avatar
00scrmom
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Posts : 649
Points : 3332
Join date : 2010-08-01
Age : 48
Location : Wherever the pitch may be

Back to top Go down

Re: PUMA CUP CANCELED

Post by 03eagle on 21/07/13, 07:09 pm

I am not over it. Boooooooo, Puma Cup! Thanks for offering friendlies to only to certain teams. Boooooo! Congrats to all teams that made the right decision to play in Tut. Our team will never play at Puma again.
avatar
03eagle
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Posts : 41
Points : 1690
Join date : 2013-02-15

Back to top Go down

Re: PUMA CUP CANCELED

Post by textigerfan on 21/07/13, 09:11 pm

Its Me wrote:Sometimes adults amaze me!  Why would the city want to purposely screw the kids when they do this tournament every year.  I was at the fields yesterday to ref the evening games and can tell you that the fields were unplayable.  There were big puddles of water everywhere.  For those parents that they know everything about tournaments and field maintenance, it happens!  If this is the first time that you've ever had a tournament cancel due to rain then this wasn't the first time and if you keep playing it's not going to be the last.  It wasn't the fields that were the bad part of the playing surface it was the muddy goal area.
Plus some of the fields had new sod. I agree that it was costly for the teams.
I have a U-19 and U-14 that play so I totally understand the frustration but that part of the price for playing select.   

As a referee I would not have let my game start with fields like that.  Not to see kids tear a knee or concussions due to slipping. How many injuries do you think "may" have happened if they said forget the safety factor and let's just make the parents happy. 

Yes, they did have games today.  They had 2 MP Fields (Football Fields) and the two (#10 #12) academy fields.  And there was only 1 big field (#15) that they played games on.  This was only for the teams from Mexico, Houston, and couple other  U7 teams.

I don't talk on the 03's site but get over it.  It happens.

Well said...I was there too.  We got in one game and 17 minutes of a second.  And yes, they were unplayable.  At least the ones I saw.  The goalie boxes were just mud puddles.  Would have been dangerous.  I did not like the fact the rain came in so hard but that is the way it goes.  Luckily, we found a way to scrimmage today somewhere else so they got some time in.  This kind of thing happens.  Remember folks, this is not brain surgery, it is girls soccer.  And for '03's, they are 11 years old.  Risking injury really worth it?  Get some perspective please...it is not about you.
avatar
textigerfan
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 411
Points : 3212
Join date : 2010-07-27

Back to top Go down

Re: PUMA CUP CANCELED

Post by United Soccer on 21/07/13, 09:26 pm

I'm curious about one thing. So many talk about the increased injury risk. I just don't see it. I've had teams practice regularly for many years on wet fields and have never noticed even a hint of increased injury occurrence. A kid wearing cleats on wet ground will stick just fine. In fact, it could be argued that cleats get even better traction on soft ground. I've played and coached games all my life in extreme early morning dew, right after downpours, during downpours, and even in substantial standing water. The latter slows down the ball and makes for lower player speed with the addition of extra mud on the cleats, but increased injuries? I think it's much more about preventing damage to the field than protecting the player. You look at most soccer injuries and it's things like collisions, trips, hacks, bad landings, etc... not wet ground. I would be entirely open to reading any (valid) studies to the contrary. It's just water and mud. Sports are played in all manner of extreme weather; that's part of the game... and can even make it more fun.

avatar
United Soccer
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Posts : 6
Points : 1511
Join date : 2013-07-15

Back to top Go down

Re: PUMA CUP CANCELED

Post by Cleansheets on 21/07/13, 09:29 pm

United Soccer wrote:I'm curious about one thing. So many talk about the increased injury risk. I just don't see it. I've had teams practice regularly for many years on wet fields and have never noticed even a hint of increased injury occurrence. A kid wearing cleats on wet ground will stick just fine. In fact, it could be argued that cleats get even better traction on soft ground. I've played and coached games all my life in extreme early morning dew, right after downpours, during downpours, and even in substantial standing water. The latter slows down the ball and makes for lower player speed with the addition of extra mud on the cleats, but increased injuries? I think it's much more about preventing damage to the field than protecting the player. You look at most soccer injuries and it's things like collisions, trips, hacks, bad landings, etc... not wet ground. I would be entirely open to reading any (valid) studies to the contrary. It's just water and mud. Sports are played in all manner of extreme weather; that's part of the game... and can even make it more fun.

Finally, someone with some sense.
avatar
Cleansheets
Original Supporting Member
Original Supporting Member

Posts : 1029
Points : 2790
Join date : 2012-12-20
Location : ...is everything

Back to top Go down

Re: PUMA CUP CANCELED

Post by 03eagle on 21/07/13, 09:31 pm

Puma Cup folks need to get together on their story. Did Arlington cause them to stop the tourney or did they stop it because of injury risk? Just one excuse per tourney, please.
avatar
03eagle
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Posts : 41
Points : 1690
Join date : 2013-02-15

Back to top Go down

Re: PUMA CUP CANCELED

Post by keeperdad2003 on 21/07/13, 09:49 pm

I was very pleased the way King Tut handled the rain.
avatar
keeperdad2003
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Posts : 41
Points : 1582
Join date : 2013-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: PUMA CUP CANCELED

Post by TripDDs on 22/07/13, 07:06 am

03eagle wrote:Puma Cup folks need to get together on their story.  Did Arlington cause them to stop the tourney or did they stop it because of injury risk?  Just one excuse per tourney, please.

The games were canceled due to rain, the city closed the fields.  The tournament has no say, nor control over the fields,  and the city closes the fields to save the fields.

Any tournament on city fields is subject to city rules, every team knew this going in, blaming the TD for the canceled games is like blaming directv that you couldn't watch tv when your power is out.
avatar
TripDDs
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Posts : 99
Points : 1701
Join date : 2013-04-19

Back to top Go down

Re: PUMA CUP CANCELED

Post by keeperdad2003 on 22/07/13, 07:15 am

That's why I like the King Tut because they control their own fields. Not to mention they drain so well.
Just after we had this micro burst soak the fields... It looked like it had never rained. When you play on city fields... They will always side with canceling. Because they don't have the resources to go an repair any damage caused by playing on wet grass
avatar
keeperdad2003
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Posts : 41
Points : 1582
Join date : 2013-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: PUMA CUP CANCELED

Post by 03eagle on 22/07/13, 07:22 am

TripDDs wrote:
03eagle wrote:Puma Cup folks need to get together on their story.  Did Arlington cause them to stop the tourney or did they stop it because of injury risk?  Just one excuse per tourney, please.

The games were canceled due to rain, the city closed the fields.  The tournament has no say, nor control over the fields,  and the city closes the fields to save the fields.

Any tournament on city fields is subject to city rules, every team knew this going in, blaming the TD  for the canceled games is like blaming directv that you couldn't watch tv when your power is out.

I blame the TD, because the TD represents the party that accepted the money and is providing the services. I don't blame a vendor, I blame the service provider. Get control or get contingency plans. Poor management leads to bad services.
avatar
03eagle
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Posts : 41
Points : 1690
Join date : 2013-02-15

Back to top Go down

Re: PUMA CUP CANCELED

Post by Eagleeye on 22/07/13, 07:34 am

03eagle wrote:
TripDDs wrote:
03eagle wrote:Puma Cup folks need to get together on their story.  Did Arlington cause them to stop the tourney or did they stop it because of injury risk?  Just one excuse per tourney, please.

The games were canceled due to rain, the city closed the fields.  The tournament has no say, nor control over the fields,  and the city closes the fields to save the fields.

Any tournament on city fields is subject to city rules, every team knew this going in, blaming the TD  for the canceled games is like blaming directv that you couldn't watch tv when your power is out.

I blame the TD, because the TD represents the party that accepted the money and is providing the services. I don't blame a vendor, I blame the service provider. Get control or get contingency plans. Poor management leads to bad services.

I couldn't agree more.
avatar
Eagleeye
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Posts : 72
Points : 3115
Join date : 2009-05-25
Age : 53

Back to top Go down

Re: PUMA CUP CANCELED

Post by Its Me on 22/07/13, 07:52 am

Again, you guys amaze me.  It's like this is your first tournament.
I'm sure since this is your first year in select you'll look back 2 to 3 years from now when the 06 or 07 parents are making the same compliants and laugh.  

For parent that's talking about, "I love the they have drainage on their fields" and that's why we love them.  You're going to tell me ever tournament you enter you're going to email/phone the TD about the contingency plan, the field drainage plan, and etc.   Get over yourself.  If you think you're sounding like you know everything your have no idea how you sound.  

Also, if you look at the King Tut post those parents are complaining about the Officiating. So see somewhere you'll always find a Debbie Downer!

Amazing!!!!!!


Last edited by Its Me on 22/07/13, 08:32 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Its Me
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Posts : 951
Points : 4072
Join date : 2009-07-20

Back to top Go down

Re: PUMA CUP CANCELED

Post by textigerfan on 22/07/13, 08:20 am

Its Me wrote:Again, you guys amaze me.  It's like this is your first tournament.
I'm sure since this is your first year in select you'll look back 2 to 3 years from no when the 06 or 07 parents are making the same compliant and laugh.  

For parent that's talking about, "I love the they have drainage on their fields" and that's why we love them.  You're going to tell me ever tournament you enter you're going to email/phone the TD about the contingency plan, the field drainage plan, and etc.   Get over yourself.  If you think you're sounding like you know everything your have no idea how you sound.  

Also, if you look at the King Tut post those parents are complaining about the Officiating. So see somewhere you'll always find a Debbie Downer!

Amazing!!!!!!

I sure hope these are parents new to this.  I can understand that a bit more.  It is good entertainment though.
avatar
textigerfan
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 411
Points : 3212
Join date : 2010-07-27

Back to top Go down

Re: PUMA CUP CANCELED

Post by JustaSport on 22/07/13, 08:28 am

As a coach, player, and owner of a landscape company for the past 27 years... I can say that there really are things that both the tournament coordinators and municipalities can do to prepare for and deal with rain ahead of time.

First off, if there are already large ruts in the field (especially the penalty box), those should be assessed and repaired BEFORE the first game is ever played. If a hole is a safety issue once it's filled with water, it was probably a safety issue without. Hiring a company or city maintenance crew to simply fill in the bad areas with "washed" or "cushion" sand will displace water that would otherwise accumulate in low areas. These types of sand will compact even when wet yet still allow the grass to grow through. It's such an easy solution.

If the fields are in lousy condition, repairs should be written into the contracts between the TD and the city months before the start date. Cities make money off the field rentals. Shouldn't they provide a product of decent quality? If they won't, then find other venues. Some cities take great care of their soccer fields while others don't. My daughter played in King Tut this weekend. The grass as FC Dallas looked like giant putting greens, and the turf at Russell Creek was thicker and more healthy than most people's front yards. When grass is in such great condition, it remains playable even when wet. It rained at both of these locations earlier on Friday, and I didn't even see cleat marks on the fields because the turf was holding up so well.


avatar
JustaSport
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Posts : 298
Points : 3241
Join date : 2009-08-19

Back to top Go down

Re: PUMA CUP CANCELED

Post by 03eagle on 22/07/13, 08:41 am

textigerfan wrote:
Its Me wrote:Again, you guys amaze me.  It's like this is your first tournament.
I'm sure since this is your first year in select you'll look back 2 to 3 years from no when the 06 or 07 parents are making the same compliant and laugh.  

For parent that's talking about, "I love the they have drainage on their fields" and that's why we love them.  You're going to tell me ever tournament you enter you're going to email/phone the TD about the contingency plan, the field drainage plan, and etc.   Get over yourself.  If you think you're sounding like you know everything your have no idea how you sound.  

Also, if you look at the King Tut post those parents are complaining about the Officiating. So see somewhere you'll always find a Debbie Downer!

Amazing!!!!!!

I sure hope these are parents new to this.  I can understand that a bit more.  It is good entertainment though.

Not new to this, I'm just tired of it. You wise veterans seem to just accept it. Perhaps that's why we get poor service throughout the select soccer process. This went from blaming the City to saving the children to it's our fault for complaining.
avatar
03eagle
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Posts : 41
Points : 1690
Join date : 2013-02-15

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum