2016/2017 Schedules

LH Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» ECNL - How does dual roster work?
by Medicine Man Today at 05:57 pm

» The bait and switch tactic
by bwgophers Today at 05:30 pm

» Lake Highlands - Week 6 - Game of the Week
by Medicine Man Today at 05:21 pm

» FBR09 Rankings October 16th, 2017
by NewbSoccer Today at 05:02 pm

» Register Now!! - 2017 PrimeTime Sports Thanksgiving Shootout
by PrimeTimeSoccer Today at 04:50 pm

» D'Feeters 06G - [Aranha]
by DNWGS Today at 04:33 pm

» Solar 08 Cavalle Blue - Goalkeeper
by FMSolar Today at 04:22 pm

» Blitz FC 2010 -- Schulte
by Keith_R Today at 03:34 pm

» 08 Girls Teams - Veteran Heroes Cup (Nov. 10-12)
by U90C Today at 02:52 pm

» 05 Girls Teams - Round Rock Open - Austin, TX - Dec 8-10
by U90C Today at 01:50 pm

» FCUSA 09 looking for a keeper
by FCUSARV Today at 01:28 pm

» FCUSA open practices 08/09
by FCUSARV Today at 01:18 pm

» FCUSA Open practice 08/09
by FCUSARV Today at 01:17 pm

» Why is there not an 07 section in Select category?
by FierceLightning Today at 01:03 pm

» U6 Girls Teams - League Challenge Cup (Nov. 17-19)
by U90C Today at 12:51 pm

» 07 Girls Teams - THE ROCK (Nov. 10-12)
by U90C Today at 12:06 pm

» NTX Celtic 04G looking for guest players!
by NTX Celtic FC Today at 12:05 pm

» NTX Celtic 03G guest player!
by NTX Celtic FC Today at 11:58 am

» 06 Girls Teams - Round Rock Open - Austin, TX - Dec 8-10
by U90C Today at 09:45 am

» 06 Girls Teams - League Challenge Cup (Nov. 17-19)
by U90C Today at 09:42 am

» 05 Girls Teams - Veteran Heroes Cup (Nov. 10-12)
by U90C Today at 09:35 am

» 09 Girls Teams - Upper 90 Challenge (Dec 1-3)
by U90C Today at 09:22 am

» FBR09 Rankings October 3rd, 2017
by ProDallas Today at 09:09 am

» 07 Girls Teams - Veteran Heroes Cup (Nov. 10-12)
by U90C Yesterday at 02:29 pm

» 06 Girls Teams - Veteran Heroes Cup (Nov. 10-12)
by U90C Yesterday at 12:58 pm

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

2015 Donation
Make your annual TxSoccer.Net donation and get recognized

If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!
Statistics
We have 11379 registered users
The newest registered user is Judynq

Our users have posted a total of 163980 messages in 20589 subjects

Is ODP worth it?

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is ODP worth it?

Post by GrandTXSoccer on 06/08/13, 10:18 am

I honestly don't have a clue, it's been years since my DD went through it but I keep getting asked by friends of mine with younger kids looking to try it for the first time. All I know is years ago it was a pretty cool thing and the coaching was outstanding, however over the last couple of years I've heard that it wasn't worth it and definitely not worth it at the younger ages. I'd heard it's really more about the money and less about truly being a development program.

What's the boards opinion?

GrandTXSoccer
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Re: Is ODP worth it?

Post by Guest on 06/08/13, 10:27 am

It is another form of select soccer. Pay to Play Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed on 06/08/13, 10:33 am

kickballrules wrote:It is another form of select soccer. Pay to Play Smile

Far less expensive than select soccer though. I think it is easily worth it. Most of the coaches are pretty good.

Ed
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy on 06/08/13, 11:09 am

No

Big Daddy
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by axlefoley on 06/08/13, 11:20 am

yes
axlefoley
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by MoveYourFeet on 06/08/13, 11:29 am

I'm not sure who keeps saying it is expensive. I find it to be very cheap comparatively. If your DD makes the Regional Camp in the summer, then you are looking to spend some $$$ for travelling. But if they don't, then they have gotten more touches, different coaches to listen and learn from, and good competition to practice/play against. The opportunities there are great to play and be seen.

In my personal experience, my DD got invited to move up a year and join the older ODP team at Nationals (here in Frisco). She got to play against older and faster competition from other states all weekend. The cost? Not a dime.

In the end, it probably isn't for everyone, and don't expect this to be your ticket to replace Wambach on the WNT. This is just a venue to play and learn at a very reasonable price.
MoveYourFeet
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by old man on 06/08/13, 12:35 pm

No. It was okay for a while but with ECNL it has slid down the list of groups to be a part of

old man
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Hook It on 06/08/13, 06:14 pm

I'm a fan, but I also say yes to my DD for just about everything.

ODP used to be much smaller, numbers are large now, but heck coaching ratios are good and it is a really good workout with lots of touches. So, if you look over the coaches on the site, you see a lot of good ones and some you will have no idea about.

Many theories out there, but one main suggestion.... Car POOL, then who really cares if you only drive to 1-2 practices each season. It no time commitment for you then. You know you DD will love it: time with other girls in the car, soccer, smoothies, soccer, .....

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”
-IWD4U
[/b][/i].
Hook It
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by setplay on 06/08/13, 10:19 pm

Yes
setplay
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JPMoe70 on 07/08/13, 12:01 am

I felt the time my DD has spent in the ODP program was worth it. Nice to hear different coaches views/pointers/direction/input.

JPMoe70
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.KnowItAll on 07/08/13, 12:28 am

My DD plays for the Oklahoma ODP program & we love it! We went to College Station in February & she attended the Norman & Alabama camps this summer.
Mr.KnowItAll
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 07/08/13, 06:12 am

Has anyone received the registration e-mail for the fall season?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hook It on 07/08/13, 06:35 am

Mr.KnowItAll wrote:My DD plays for the Oklahoma ODP program & we love it! We went to College Station in February & she attended the Norman & Alabama camps this summer.

NIA; 1st post? welcome to the boards.... are you the twin brother of Setplay?

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”
-IWD4U
[/b][/i].
Hook It
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Hook It on 07/08/13, 06:36 am

BUNDESLIGA wrote:Has anyone received the registration e-mail for the fall season?
nope not yet....should be soon.

-IWD4U
[/b][/i].
Hook It
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by DDPlays4Snacks on 07/08/13, 04:51 pm

GrandTXSoccer wrote:I honestly don't have a clue, it's been years since my DD went through it but I keep getting asked by friends of mine with younger kids looking to try it for the first time. All I know is years ago it was a pretty cool thing and the coaching was outstanding, however over the last couple of years I've heard that it wasn't worth it and definitely not worth it at the younger ages. I'd heard it's really more about the money and less about truly being a development program.  

Yes, worth it, from touches on the ball, to interacting with players from other teams, to the variety of coaches, well worth it.
DDPlays4Snacks
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmon_Man on 07/08/13, 05:19 pm

DDPlays4Snacks wrote:
GrandTXSoccer wrote:I honestly don't have a clue, it's been years since my DD went through it but I keep getting asked by friends of mine with younger kids looking to try it for the first time. All I know is years ago it was a pretty cool thing and the coaching was outstanding, however over the last couple of years I've heard that it wasn't worth it and definitely not worth it at the younger ages. I'd heard it's really more about the money and less about truly being a development program.  

Yes, worth it, from touches on the ball, to interacting with players from other teams, to the variety of coaches, well worth it.  

cheers 
Cmon_Man
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.KnowItAll on 07/08/13, 05:46 pm

Hook It wrote:
Mr.KnowItAll wrote:My DD plays for the Oklahoma ODP program & we love it! We went to College Station in February & she attended the Norman & Alabama camps this summer.

NIA; 1st post? welcome to the boards.... are you the twin brother of Setplay?

Thanks, I don't know setplay but I like his avatar:lol: 
Mr.KnowItAll
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by keeperdad2003 on 08/08/13, 09:55 am

How much time commitment is needed for ODP?
Does it conflict with the club soccer ?
keeperdad2003
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by textigerfan on 08/08/13, 11:17 am

I do not think it is a huge time commitment. 10 sessions or so a year, usually Sundays. A short week long camp if selected. That is really it. It can conflict at times with club activities but they understand. Club activities rule over ODP activities.
textigerfan
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by MoveYourFeet on 08/08/13, 11:40 am

textigerfan wrote:I do not think it is a huge time commitment.  10 sessions or so a year, usually Sundays.  A short week long camp if selected.  That is really it.  It can conflict at times with club activities but they understand.  Club activities rule over ODP activities.
Yep. Club takes priority over ODP in NTX. Not so in other states. We were in a tournament in Orlando and playing some team from another state, and I was talking with some of their parents. They were quick to tell me they were without 2 of their best players because they had ODP and did not make the trip (right after they went down 2-0). I was perplexed. What kind of ODP situation takes priority over club? They said it was some ODP friendly games.

ODP in that state (I don't remember which) took priority over club events. They told me that is how it was. They couldn't believe that NTX had club first and ODP second.
MoveYourFeet
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 08/08/13, 11:51 am

MoveYourFeet wrote:
textigerfan wrote:I do not think it is a huge time commitment.  10 sessions or so a year, usually Sundays.  A short week long camp if selected.  That is really it.  It can conflict at times with club activities but they understand.  Club activities rule over ODP activities.
Yep. Club takes priority over ODP in NTX. Not so in other states. We were in a tournament in Orlando and playing some team from another state, and I was talking with some of their parents. They were quick to tell me they were without 2 of their best players because they had ODP and did not make the trip (right after they went down 2-0). I was perplexed. What kind of ODP situation takes priority over club? They said it was some ODP friendly games.

ODP in that state (I don't remember which) took priority over club events. They told me that is how it was. They couldn't believe that NTX had club first and ODP second.
such an easy decision. one i pay 2500 dollars for and the other is for touches and fun. pretty easy...

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents on 08/08/13, 12:24 pm

silentparent wrote:
MoveYourFeet wrote:

such an easy decision. one i pay 2500 dollars for and the other is for touches and fun. pretty easy...

And it is that sentiment that has allowed club to suck the life out of ODP here and replace it with Academy , pre- academy, ENCL and whatever else there is out there now that are profit driven for the clubs.

Believe it or not what drives that situation in other states is that ODP does still attract the top talent and coaches consider it a call up for the player and an honor for the club. Contrast that to NTX where the a big club will not even acknowledge when a player makes the Region III ODP team and is named captain of it.

my2cents
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by MoveYourFeet on 08/08/13, 01:24 pm

my2cents wrote:
silentparent wrote:
MoveYourFeet wrote:

And it is that sentiment that has allowed club to suck the life out of ODP here and replace it with Academy , pre- academy, ENCL and whatever else there is out there now that are profit driven for the clubs.  

Believe it or not what drives that situation in other states is that ODP does still attract the top talent and coaches consider it a call up for the player and an honor for the club. Contrast that to NTX where the a big club will not even acknowledge when a player makes the Region III ODP team and is named captain of it.
MoveYourFeet
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 08/08/13, 02:25 pm

my2cents wrote:
silentparent wrote:
MoveYourFeet wrote:

maybe, but its still an easy call, follow the money...

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Hamster on 08/08/13, 04:48 pm

I know some folks in SoCal and ODP is a big deal for their clubs. The clubs brag on how many ODP players they have signed, etc...
Mia Hamster
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum