Latest topics
WILL IT BE YOU!!Today at 08:00 pmroger@renegades
08 B Tornados FC team looking for goalie and few players Today at 07:46 pmKellyleverett
How much is too much celebrating?Today at 07:37 pmBENDMEOVER
SuperCopa Today at 06:57 pmMARsSPEED
Dallas Texans 11G West Diaz (Play for Free)Today at 05:47 pmDallas Texans West
Dallas Texans 06G FDL Red - LHGCL D1 / FDL Today at 05:38 pmDallas Texans West
Dallas Texans 05G FDL (College Exposure)Today at 05:35 pmDallas Texans West
Supercopa 07 showingToday at 04:45 pmCATX
Titans FC 04 NPL / Classic D3 Tryout and Open SessionsToday at 01:09 pmJasonWhisenant
Solar 04B - AllenToday at 12:43 pmntxsoccerchat
07B looking for a TeamToday at 12:29 pmSoccerislife17
D'Feeters 05G Black Open SessionsToday at 07:35 amDAM FLY SOCCER
Team to Scrimmage - Thursday Flower Mound/Lewisville AreaToday at 07:34 amtxspiritnorth09G
07 Keeper Looking for Team in Richardson/Plano areaToday at 05:23 amsbarton12
FC Dallas 07G - Open Practices - Frisco - LHGCL D2 ByeYesterday at 07:23 pmt5555
Looking for Keeper for Solar 08B TeamYesterday at 03:41 pmHoldingMid
GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANYYesterday at 03:34 pmmusaisaya
AYSES SC - DEVELOPMENT IS GOAL : WINNING IS RESULTYesterday at 03:32 pmmusaisaya
Chelsea East Blue 04B looking for 2-3 playersYesterday at 03:26 pmChelsea East
Fort Worth Thunder 08/09 teamYesterday at 03:14 pmjgarcia303030
Fort Worth Thunder - Not D1 Classic - Not DA - TryoutsYesterday at 03:14 pmjgarcia303030
D’feeters ‘06 Girls ECRL/NPL/LHGCL D1 Open SessionsYesterday at 03:06 pmfooty magic
Velocity Elite FC looking to add a few playersYesterday at 02:58 pmHappyDays
Solar 03B/04B Pappas - Adding Players in GrapevineYesterday at 02:57 pmHappyDays
Solar 03B Pappas - Adding Players in GrapevineYesterday at 02:55 pmHappyDays
Log in

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack Pixel
Statistics
We have 13433 registered users
The newest registered user is soccermom68

Our users have posted a total of 190849 messages in 26336 subjects

Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack

Go down

Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack Empty Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack

Post by Slakemoth on 19/08/13, 11:50 am

OK, kinda off topic, but not really... Saw this news story on the news this morning. 12 year old Michigan girl is attacked by a bear (twice) while running in the woods. She manages to not only survive by eventually playing dead, but then runs back home. 100 stitches later and three days in the hospital she gets back home. Amazing story, and a pretty amazing kid.

So the moment this comes on and I see the girl, I think... "headband in the hair, running in the woods, gotta be a soccer player." This kid has "the look". Sure enough last part of the story

"Abby explained, how in the moments after she was attacked she worried about her school soccer team, wondering how they were going to win if she was not able to play goalie, because the other goalie couldn't play because she sprained her wrist. That explains volumes about about who this little girl is."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/12-year-girl-thought-goner-bear-attack/story?id=19997134
Slakemoth
Slakemoth
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 479
Points : 4182
Join date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack Empty Re: Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack

Post by 00scrmom on 19/08/13, 12:16 pm

Amazing story, what a brave girl!

Ironic that you posted as my kids and I were just reminiscing our vacation from Lake Tahoe and Yosemite that we just returned from and talked about how we hadn't encountered a bear (though the kids claim they saw one when driving Tioga Pass in Yosemite) and what would they have done had we come up upon one. Not one of us mentioned to play dead! Everything we read was to make loud noises, clap, scream, and raise your arms to appear big. Guess now we know playing dead is an option as well.

Thanks for sharing!
00scrmom
00scrmom
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Posts : 649
Points : 3993
Join date : 2010-08-01
Age : 50
Location : Wherever the pitch may be

Back to top Go down

Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack Empty Re: Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack

Post by MoveYourFeet on 19/08/13, 12:16 pm

You hit the nail on the head about "the look." Here is an image of her from the same story on another site. Noticed the soccer patch.



Last edited by Admin on 19/08/13, 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed picture)
MoveYourFeet
MoveYourFeet
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Posts : 512
Points : 4152
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 49
Location : south of OK

Back to top Go down

Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack Empty Re: Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack

Post by Blank77 on 19/08/13, 12:19 pm

My only question is, why didn't she just take her gloves off and throw them at the bear - the stench would have incapacitated him. I guess, as usual, the rest of the team was running way ahead and she was walking well behind the pack.
Blank77
Blank77
Original Supporting Member
Original Supporting Member

Posts : 927
Points : 3944
Join date : 2011-05-15
Location : Obviously at a different IP than last time

Back to top Go down

Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack Empty Re: Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack

Post by Lawnboy on 19/08/13, 12:23 pm

00scrmom wrote:Amazing story, what a brave girl!

Ironic that you posted as my kids and I were just reminiscing our vacation from Lake Tahoe and Yosemite that we just returned from and talked about how we hadn't encountered a bear (though the kids claim they saw one when driving Tioga Pass in Yosemite) and what would they have done had we come up upon one. Not one of us mentioned to play dead! Everything we read was to make loud noises, clap, scream, and raise your arms to appear big. Guess now we know playing dead is an option as well.  

Thanks for sharing!
I imagine playing dead only works if the bear is full.

__________________________________________________







.
Lawnboy
Lawnboy
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Posts : 924
Points : 4619
Join date : 2009-05-06

Back to top Go down

Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack Empty Re: Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack

Post by MoveYourFeet on 19/08/13, 02:16 pm

MoveYourFeet wrote:You hit the nail on the head about "the look." Here is an image of her from the same story on another site. Noticed the soccer patch.

Sorry. I guess linking to a picture from a major news site is unacceptable.

Anyways, one of the pictures from that news story had her in some soccer gear.
Hope she recovers well enough to keep playing.
MoveYourFeet
MoveYourFeet
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Posts : 512
Points : 4152
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 49
Location : south of OK

Back to top Go down

Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack Empty Re: Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack

Post by Slakemoth on 19/08/13, 02:25 pm

That girl deserves a SoccerGrlProbs shirt....

When you're just trying to train and a bear attacks you....
Slakemoth
Slakemoth
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 479
Points : 4182
Join date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack Empty Re: Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack

Post by Admin on 19/08/13, 03:09 pm

MoveYourFeet wrote:
MoveYourFeet wrote:You hit the nail on the head about "the look." Here is an image of her from the same story on another site. Noticed the soccer patch.

Sorry. I guess linking to a picture from a major news site is unacceptable.

Anyways, one of the pictures from that news story had her in some soccer gear.
Hope she recovers well enough to keep playing.
I'm really not sure, but it was a picture of a minor and I have no idea if the original location had special permission or the liability of posting it here. A link, sure, but to be safe, no original pictures of minors on here to play it safe.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 216
Points : 3996
Join date : 2009-05-03
Age : 119
Location : Watching you right now

http://www.txsoccer.net

Back to top Go down

Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack Empty Re: Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack

Post by boilerjoe_96 on 19/08/13, 03:39 pm

Naturally we should bow to the almighty greatest, all knowing, all being, board leader .... but her picture is all over the web... once your on GMA, aren't those pictures now public domain? with all due respect of course...

I am not an attorney nor do I play one on TV. Did stay at a Holiday Inn a year ago though....
boilerjoe_96
boilerjoe_96
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Posts : 642
Points : 3341
Join date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down

Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack Empty Re: Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack

Post by SoccerPop on 19/08/13, 04:18 pm

With a name like Abby you know she's tough...

SoccerPop
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 109
Points : 2731
Join date : 2012-04-23

Back to top Go down

Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack Empty Re: Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack

Post by 2028 on 20/08/13, 07:12 am

Blank77 wrote: My only question is, why didn't she just take her gloves off and throw them at the bear - the stench would have incapacitated him.  I guess, as usual, the rest of the team was running way ahead and she was walking well behind the pack.
Exactly Blank! My DD’s gloves just may kill a bear!
2028
2028
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 130
Points : 3098
Join date : 2011-07-13
Location :

Back to top Go down

Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack Empty Re: Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack

Post by Slakemoth on 20/08/13, 07:25 am

Maybe it was the gloves that attracted the bear in the first place......

mmmmmm rotten fish
Slakemoth
Slakemoth
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 479
Points : 4182
Join date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack Empty Re: Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack

Post by SteamingBean on 20/08/13, 09:00 am

Brave young lady.   My youngest just joked good thing she wasn't a forward.. she might not be here today because she wouldn't have been crazy enough to pet the bear and to play dead.
SteamingBean
SteamingBean
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 139
Points : 2677
Join date : 2012-07-24

Back to top Go down

Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack Empty Re: Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack

Post by Lawnboy on 24/08/13, 11:13 pm

Slakemoth wrote:That girl deserves a SoccerGrlProbs shirt....

When you're just trying to train and a bear attacks you....
Laughing

__________________________________________________







.
Lawnboy
Lawnboy
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Posts : 924
Points : 4619
Join date : 2009-05-06

Back to top Go down

Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack Empty Re: Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack

Post by Shelby427 on 25/08/13, 09:28 am

Lawnboy wrote:
00scrmom wrote:Amazing story, what a brave girl!

Ironic that you posted as my kids and I were just reminiscing our vacation from Lake Tahoe and Yosemite that we just returned from and talked about how we hadn't encountered a bear (though the kids claim they saw one when driving Tioga Pass in Yosemite) and what would they have done had we come up upon one. Not one of us mentioned to play dead! Everything we read was to make loud noises, clap, scream, and raise your arms to appear big. Guess now we know playing dead is an option as well.  

Thanks for sharing!
I imagine playing dead only works if the bear is full.
Grizzly bears can be scared or "annoyed" away with loud noises and commotion.

Black bears only stop when they believe the prey is dead or no longer fighting back. They feed (no pun intended) off of aggression.

Obviously being in Michigan the girl had been taught this. Pretty brave of her to act it out.

Shelby427
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Posts : 686
Points : 3773
Join date : 2011-02-28

Back to top Go down

Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack Empty Re: Michigan Girl Survives Bear Attack

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum