Latest topics
National RankingsToday at 01:32 pmterps37
10 Girls Teams - VETERAN HEROES CUP (Nov 15-19)Today at 12:13 pmU90C
04 Boys Teams - VETERAN HEROES CUP (Nov 15-19)Today at 12:11 pmU90C
05 Boys Teams - VETERAN HEROES CUP (Nov 15-19)Today at 12:09 pmU90C
10 Boys Teams - VETERAN HEROES CUP (Nov 15-19)Today at 12:08 pmU90C
High School and DAToday at 11:23 amFroZone
07 DA 2019Yesterday at 08:31 pmcenTex
New Natl Guidelines: Limit Soccer to 8 mo/yr; less trainingYesterday at 04:47 pmsoccertx75
07 Girls Teams - U90C THE ROCK - AUSTIN - Nov. 15-17Yesterday at 03:02 pmU90C
Storm DamageYesterday at 12:48 pmsoccertard
07 Boys Teams - VETERAN HEROES CUP (Nov 15-19)Yesterday at 11:57 amU90C
11 Boys Teams - VETERAN HEROES CUP (Nov 15-19)Yesterday at 11:55 amU90C
Dallas Texans 2013G MochelYesterday at 10:17 amTexansMochel
12 Girls Teams - VETERAN HEROES CUP (Nov 15-19)Yesterday at 09:10 amU90C
FC Dallas 2011/2012 - Fondren21/10/19, 04:29 pmFCDallas01girls
08 Boys Teams - U90C THE ROCK - AUSTIN - Nov. 15-1721/10/19, 04:25 pmU90C
05 Boys Teams - U90C THE ROCK - AUSTIN - Nov. 15-1721/10/19, 04:23 pmU90C
FC Dallas 08G JDL Blue21/10/19, 04:01 pmFCDallas01girls
03B Classic League21/10/19, 03:00 pmsprint
Dallas TNT 09 Girls Open Spots21/10/19, 02:36 pmsoccersoccer2000
05 Girls Teams - U90C THE ROCK - AUSTIN - Nov. 15-1721/10/19, 10:19 amU90C
06 Boys Teams - VETERAN HEROES CUP (Nov 15-19)21/10/19, 10:18 amU90C
09 Boys Teams - VETERAN HEROES CUP (Nov 15-19)21/10/19, 10:17 amU90C
08 Boys Teams - VETERAN HEROES CUP (Nov 15-19)21/10/19, 10:15 amU90C
08 Girls Teams - VETERAN HEROES CUP (Nov 15-19)21/10/19, 10:14 amU90C

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

LHGCL 2013-2014...................Any Surprises??? Pixel
Statistics
We have 13582 registered users
The newest registered user is Kedrick

Our users have posted a total of 194662 messages in 27351 subjects

LHGCL 2013-2014...................Any Surprises???

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

LHGCL 2013-2014...................Any Surprises??? Empty LHGCL 2013-2014...................Any Surprises???

Post by ItsMeAgain on 29/04/14, 09:13 am

Got a break between meetings and killing time........got tired of old screenname too and changed it.  Been pretty quiet on here and with final nonECNL year pretty much complete (only 1 game remaining for most D3 teams with 5th place spot to be determined), curious on everyone's thoughts on how things finished.  Any surprises in the standings?  Any teams being promoted that weren't expected?  Etc.  My personal thoughts....................

Congrats to the division champs Kicks SC (D1), Dallas Texans White (D2), and Sting North Angell (D3). Some pretty convincing seasons from those teams.

D1-Kicks SC seemed to win league with ease.  Figured they would be a contender for the top spot, didn't expect them to control D1 the way they did.  I'd say I'm surprised by D'Feeters at 8th, but didn't they just barely escape relegation to D2 last year?  Other then that think it played out as expected - perhaps Flanagan finishing in 5th was a little lower then many of us thought when the year started.

D2-No real surprises I don't think.  The top 4 look like they played each other pretty tight.  Sting East looked like they had a good Spring season to sneak past Diamonds for the 5th promotion spot.  I like that Texans White were able to avoid the downfalls that come with being relegated like losing players, low moral, frustration, etc. (see Texans Red North (D2),  FC Dallas 01G (D3), and Sting Central (D3)) and win the division.  I'm sure they'll lose players to ECNL, but it's been posted many times that "you're teams only as good as the worst player".  If that hold true, they'll be in good shape for D1 next year.

D3-I knew Sting Angell was good, but they simply dominated D3.  Player retention was good with them last summer if I recall and that must speak to something there.  Strikers finished higher then I thought they would and thought Lightning would put up more of a fight for the top spot.  Other then that, pretty expected.  If ECNL wasn't a factor, 2 teams that were D2 last year would be sent back to QT this year.  Lucky for them.

Division 1
1: DALLAS KICKS SC 01  (41)
2: SOLAR CHELSEA 01 GIRLS RED   (33)
3: FC DALLAS 01G PREMIER   (29)
4: DALLAS TEXANS 01 GIRLS DALLAS  (28)
5: STING 01G (FLANAGAN)   (25)
6: ANDROMEDA FC 01G   (15)
7: DALLAS TEXANS 01G FTW   (13)
8: D'FEETERS 01   (13)
9: STING NORTH 01G (GUZMAN) (PREV TFC 01G)   (10)

Division 2
1: DALLAS TEXANS 01G WHITE DALLAS   (41)
2: TEXAS SPIRIT NORTH 01'   (35)
3: DALLAS KICKS 01 GIRLS GOLD  (34)  
4: STING 01G (HILTON)   (33)
5: STING EAST 01G (GRAY) (PREV FC DALLAS EAST 01G)   (25)
6: DIAMONDS 01   (24)
7: DALLAS TEXANS 01 GIRLS RED NORTH   (18)
8: LIVERPOOL FC AMERICA 01 GIRLS RUSH   (13)
9: FORT WORTH FC 01G BLACK   (10)
10: SOLAR CHELSEA WHITE 01G   (7)

Division 3
1: STING NORTH 01G (ANGELL) (PREV TFC BLUE)      (49)
2: TEXAS LIGHTNING 01G BLACK   (35)
3: NTX STRIKERS 01 BLUE   (34)
4: TEXAS REDSTAR 01G   (28)
5: COSMOS 01G BLACK   (27)
6: AZTECS FC LADY AZTECS FC 01   (25)
7: FC DALLAS 01 GIRLS   (23)
8: DALLAS TEXANS 01G RED DALLAS (FORMERLY WHITE DALLA   (16)
9: DALLAS KICKS SC DALLAS KICKS BLUE SC 01   (12)
10: STING CENTRAL 01 G (PREV STING 01 GUTIERREZ)   (2)

Last edited by ItsMeAgain on 01/05/14, 07:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adjusted D3 to reflect 4-30-2014 games)
ItsMeAgain
ItsMeAgain
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

LHGCL 2013-2014...................Any Surprises??? Empty Re: LHGCL 2013-2014...................Any Surprises???

Post by Big Poppy on 29/04/14, 09:38 am

IMO - I don't feel any league (D1 thru D3) or game is won with "ease." The level of soccer played in North Texas is some of the best in the country. Kicks came full-circle this year and played some fabulous soccer. I agree with your assessment regarding Flanagan....team seemed to be healthy all year (as opposed to last year) and won less than they tied/lost (7 to 9). Texans finished the league on a high-note and they are playing some good soccer right now. Grubb will always be a contender and I love their style of play. This has been a lot of fun watching these teams grow and flourish over the past 3-4 years. All the best to you and your DD's and good luck in State Cup.
Big Poppy
Big Poppy
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

LHGCL 2013-2014...................Any Surprises??? Empty Re: LHGCL 2013-2014...................Any Surprises???

Post by Guest on 29/04/14, 10:27 am

My thoughts (for the .00000002 cents that they are worth)...

D1:

Only surprise to me there is Flanny finishing 5th.  Early last fall, I thought they were looking fantastic and would have predicted them to win D1.  Not sure what happened.

D2:

Somewhere in the archives, there's a post from me predicting how D2 would play out this year.  Other than swapping Diamonds and LP Rush, I pretty much nailed it.  Diamonds were definitely better than I thought they would be, and they play a nice style of soccer.  Kudos to the coach, girls, and families from that group.  For whatever reason, LP Rush really seems to have stagnated over the past 18 months, and have fallen significantly behind the top teams in D2.

On a side note, I'm interested to observe the Tx. Spirit trajectory.  I've had a theory about this team...  From my time as a team manager a couple of years back, I noticed that Tx. Spirit had a relatively "old" '01 roster.  I want to say that they had 4 girls with August birthdays, and another 4-5 with Sept-Oct birthdays.  I believe that their roster has been pretty stable, so I'm guessing this is likely still the case.  To me, that would potentially give them a bit of an advantage up through U13, where even a 6 month difference, can be significant in terms of speed, size, strength.  However, we should be reaching a point where most of that starts to even out.  This year, Tx. Spirit was 8-0-1 in the fall, 2-5-2 in the Spring...  Could this be a sign that my theory is correct???

D3:

Sting Angell is the poster child for a coach, players, and parents "staying the course".  Coach probably sacrificed some W's in the short term at U10-U12, for the sake of developing a quality possession style.  This team is now reaping the benefits, and I believe that they will be neck-and-neck with Diamonds to win D2 at u14.

A little surprised by a QT team jumping all the way up to finish 2nd, but kudos to the Strikers for that, and good luck in D2 next year.

Also, glad to see Redstar still hanging tough and getting back into D2 next year.  More of a "lunch pail" team - not always the prettiest of soccer, but gritty and competitive - but a good group of families.

Back to top Go down

Post by jae on 29/04/14, 10:59 am

ItsMeAgain wrote:
D2-No real surprises I don't think.  The top 4 look like they played each other pretty tight.  Sting East looked like they had a good Spring season to sneak past Diamonds for the 5th promotion spot.  I like that Texans White were able to avoid the downfalls that come with being relegated like losing players, low moral, frustration, etc. (see Texans Red North (D2),  FC Dallas 01G (D3), and Sting Central (D3)) and win the division.  I'm sure they'll lose players to ECNL, but it's been posted many times that "you're teams only as good as the worst player".  If that hold true, they'll be in good shape for D1 next year.

I know that I am biased but one has to give a lot of credit to Monte and the girls for winning D2.

After getting relegated, losing four starters and replacing them with players from lower divisions, and changing club affiliation twice, Monte and the girls stayed committed, focused and worked hard.

Am I surprised?  Not really.

jae
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 29/04/14, 11:08 am

IMO part of the surprise is parents who've watched the age group for a long time tend to rate players based on where they were in Academy instead of looking objectively at who's doing what right now.

When team X recruits players Y and Z who were universally thought of as academy studs, we annoint team X in pre-season without considering that A) it's a team sport and chemistry matters, and B) dominance @ u10/u11 does not always = dominance at u13.

It's no accident the top few teams in each division are the teams with the most stability, and it's hard to deny a team's stability has a positive impact on individual player development (for coaches that develop players).

Have to give shouts out to Angel and Monte. Both could've folded up and jumped ship, but parents stuck together and their girls reaped the benefits. Based on their style of play, really would like to see Angel in D1 - as me thinks that's where they belong.

I think for NTX '01s, ECNL would help the age group more if it started u15 instead of u14. The u14 NTX D1 would be a more talented and competitive league than texas conference u14 ECNL.

I know some say, "wait the oklahoma and south texas teams are way better than you think"...but I don't buy it. The best oklahoma team isn't ECNL, and unless lonestar sends down the 01s playing up on their 00 ECNL team, STX isn't likely to send u14 ECNL teams on par with NTX top 5. So basically ECNL starting at u14 robs the coaches who actually develop players from another year of improving the girls before it really counts, and they'll end up playing net-net weaker comp than they would've if no u14 ECNL.

Despite Eagles getting out of here with DIGC title, I still believe this age group has incredible depth with D1/ECNL caliber talent to be found in all three divisions.

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsMeAgain on 29/04/14, 11:27 am

Cool 

Last edited by ItsMeAgain on 29/04/14, 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : didn't want to put someone on the spot)
ItsMeAgain
ItsMeAgain
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by txtransplant on 29/04/14, 01:18 pm

bwgophers wrote:On a side note, I'm interested to observe the Tx. Spirit trajectory.  I've had a theory about this team...  From my time as a team manager a couple of years back, I noticed that Tx. Spirit had a relatively "old" '01 roster.  I want to say that they had 4 girls with August birthdays, and another 4-5 with Sept-Oct birthdays.  I believe that their roster has been pretty stable, so I'm guessing this is likely still the case.  To me, that would potentially give them a bit of an advantage up through U13, where even a 6 month difference, can be significant in terms of speed, size, strength.  However, we should be reaching a point where most of that starts to even out.  This year, Tx. Spirit was 8-0-1 in the fall, 2-5-2 in the Spring...  Could this be a sign that my theory is correct???

Have you read "Outliers: The Story of Success" by Malcolm Gladwell? He discusses this very thing, how kids who are closer to the cutoff dates for their specific sport (he uses youth hockey's Jan 1 as an example) are far more successful than those who are nine, ten or eleven months past the cutoff date.

But what the research shows is that there isn't really a leveling out because most of those younger players tire of being overlooked and quit their respective sports. And since the older kids have been given the opportunity of better training and competition for several years, the younger ones aren't always able to catch up.
txtransplant
txtransplant
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 29/04/14, 01:27 pm

txtransplant wrote:
bwgophers wrote:On a side note, I'm interested to observe the Tx. Spirit trajectory.  I've had a theory about this team...  From my time as a team manager a couple of years back, I noticed that Tx. Spirit had a relatively "old" '01 roster.  I want to say that they had 4 girls with August birthdays, and another 4-5 with Sept-Oct birthdays.  I believe that their roster has been pretty stable, so I'm guessing this is likely still the case.  To me, that would potentially give them a bit of an advantage up through U13, where even a 6 month difference, can be significant in terms of speed, size, strength.  However, we should be reaching a point where most of that starts to even out.  This year, Tx. Spirit was 8-0-1 in the fall, 2-5-2 in the Spring...  Could this be a sign that my theory is correct???

Have you read "Outliers: The Story of Success" by Malcolm Gladwell? He discusses this very thing, how kids who are closer to the cutoff dates for their specific sport (he uses youth hockey's Jan 1 as an example) are far more successful than those who are nine, ten or eleven months past the cutoff date.

Haven't read the story, but wouldn't surprise me. My '01 is actually 1 month away from being an '02, and I'm sure she'd be looked at in a different light if she were playing with '02's. Oh well, at least she'll have something concrete to blame on Mommy and Daddy when she eventually ends up in therapy from all of her years of competitive youth soccer...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 29/04/14, 01:51 pm

Never seen spirit this year, but quick glance at their numbers shows 30 of their 43 goals scored in fall season...could be  a team with an outstanding goal scorer who was either injured or opponents paid much closer attention to in second half of season. Edit....TSN folk say it was none of the above, just found the net better in fall than spring. Kudos to them, they've got people talking so they are doing something right!

Either way, I'm not so convinced on Gladwells work anymore. The chorus of naysayers on applying his findings to athletics is getting very loud...especially on his 10,000 hour rule. The birthdate thing might have some legs, but ya know I love playing devils advocate, so ill just mention that there are quite a few top players who are true calendar year 01s and among the youngest in the age group.

Last edited by 4-3-3 on 29/04/14, 03:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Updated info from parents)

Back to top Go down

Post by SWGSB 52 on 29/04/14, 03:56 pm

If I understand it right Sting Central 01 was primarily made up of 02s who are now going to drop back down for the 02 QT.

http://www.txsoccer.net/t19777-02-central-team-looking-for-players

So with the 5 ECNL teams moving out and everyone moving up into their spots, then what happens to this spot Sting has now in DIII. Since that team wouldn't have to re-qualify then Sting still holds the spot right?
SWGSB 52
SWGSB 52
Original Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1more_dd_dad on 29/04/14, 05:27 pm

Last year Feet finished really strong and did not have a problem earning their bye.   This year Feet was sitting in third at the end of the Fall.  We had five girls injured most of the Spring and three still are not back.  It was a tough Spring and I'm not sure any D1 team could maintain any sort of momentum with that many girls out.

ItsMeAgain wrote:Got a break between meetings and killing time........got tired of old screenname too and changed it.  Been pretty quiet on here and with final nonECNL year pretty much complete (only 1 game remaining for most D3 teams with 5th place spot to be determined), curious on everyone's thoughts on how things finished.  Any surprises in the standings?  Any teams being promoted that weren't expected?  Etc.  My personal thoughts....................

Congrats to the division champs Kicks SC (D1), Dallas Texans White (D2), and Sting North Angell (D3). Some pretty convincing seasons from those teams.

D1-Kicks SC seemed to win league with ease.  Figured they would be a contender for the top spot, didn't expect them to control D1 the way they did.  I'd say I'm surprised by D'Feeters at 8th, but didn't they just barely escape relegation to D2 last year?  Other then that think it played out as expected - perhaps Flanagan finishing in 5th was a little lower then many of us thought when the year started.

D3-I knew Sting Angell was good, but they simply dominated D3.  Player retention was good with them last summer if I recall and that must speak to something there.  Strikers finished higher then I thought they would and thought Lightning would put up more of a fight for the top spot.  Other then that, pretty expected.  If ECNL wasn't a factor, 2 teams that were D2 last year would be sent back to QT this year.  Lucky for them.

Division 1
1: DALLAS KICKS SC 01  (41)
2: SOLAR CHELSEA 01 GIRLS RED   (33)
3: FC DALLAS 01G PREMIER   (29)
4: DALLAS TEXANS 01 GIRLS DALLAS  (28)
5: STING 01G (FLANAGAN)   (25)
6: ANDROMEDA FC 01G   (15)
7: DALLAS TEXANS 01G FTW   (13)
8: D'FEETERS 01   (13)
9: STING NORTH 01G (GUZMAN) (PREV TFC 01G)   (10)

Division 2
1: DALLAS TEXANS 01G WHITE DALLAS   (41)
2: TEXAS SPIRIT NORTH 01'   (35)
3: DALLAS KICKS 01 GIRLS GOLD  (34)  
4: STING 01G (HILTON)   (33)
5: STING EAST 01G (GRAY) (PREV FC DALLAS EAST 01G)   (25)
6: DIAMONDS 01   (24)
7: DALLAS TEXANS 01 GIRLS RED NORTH   (18)
8: LIVERPOOL FC AMERICA 01 GIRLS RUSH   (13)
9: FORT WORTH FC 01G BLACK   (10)
10: SOLAR CHELSEA WHITE 01G   (7)

Division 3
1: STING NORTH 01G (ANGELL) (PREV TFC BLUE)      (46)
2: NTX STRIKERS 01 BLUE   (33)
3: TEXAS LIGHTNING 01G BLACK   (32)
4: TEXAS REDSTAR 01G   (28)
5: COSMOS 01G BLACK   (26)
6: AZTECS FC LADY AZTECS FC 01   (24)
7: FC DALLAS 01 GIRLS   (23)
8: DALLAS TEXANS 01G RED DALLAS (FORMERLY WHITE DALLA   (15)
9: DALLAS KICKS SC DALLAS KICKS BLUE SC 01   (12)
10: STING CENTRAL 01 G (PREV STING 01 GUTIERREZ)   (2)
1more_dd_dad
1more_dd_dad

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsMeAgain on 29/04/14, 05:47 pm

pirat 

Last edited by ItsMeAgain on 29/04/14, 06:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
ItsMeAgain
ItsMeAgain
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsMeAgain on 29/04/14, 05:50 pm

SWGSB 52 wrote:If I understand it right Sting Central 01 was primarily made up of 02s who are now going to drop back down for the 02 QT.

http://www.txsoccer.net/t19777-02-central-team-looking-for-players

So with the 5 ECNL teams moving out and everyone moving up into their spots, then what happens to this spot Sting has now in DIII. Since that team wouldn't have to re-qualify then Sting still holds the spot right?

Should be the case and should give to Sting Ft. Worth. Actually, should have given it to them last year instead of a 02 team.
ItsMeAgain
ItsMeAgain
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie on 29/04/14, 09:10 pm

[quote="1more_dd_dad"]Last year Feet finished really strong and did not have a problem earning their bye.   This year Feet was sitting in third at the end of the Fall.  We had five girls injured most of the Spring and three still are not back.  It was a tough Spring and I'm not sure any D1 team could maintain any sort of momentum with that many girls out.

Last year your girls did earn their bye, Congratulations.  This year they would be relegated to DII. Instead they will move on to ECNL, good luck with that.

Over the last two years Feet is 10-6-32 against current LHGCL DI and DII teams.  Feet hasn't won a game against a current LHGCL DI or DII team since Oct. 20, 2013.

Are all those loses due to injuries?

Herbie
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 1more_dd_dad on 29/04/14, 10:07 pm

That's  more research on the Feet girls record than I really care to do, I actually haven't looked at the standings this Spring...  Like I said, Feet had 4/5 starters out all Spring, does that mean they finish 3,4,5,6, I don't know, but the injuries didn't help that's for sure.  I just take my DD to practice, to games and watch the games she asked to go to that involve her friends on other teams, (unfortunately my DD has a lot of friends D1/2/3 so we watch a lot of games). I see what the team is doing and how they are progressing in relation to other teams and keep my DD there because of that.   If it doesn't suit you and you strictly look at record to make your decisions instead of actually watching games, then that works for you, not knocking it, everyone has their own method.

Herbie wrote:
1more_dd_dad wrote:Last year Feet finished really strong and did not have a problem earning their bye.   This year Feet was sitting in third at the end of the Fall.  We had five girls injured most of the Spring and three still are not back.  It was a tough Spring and I'm not sure any D1 team could maintain any sort of momentum with that many girls out.

Last year your girls did earn their bye, Congratulations.  This year they would be relegated to DII. Instead they will move on to ECNL, good luck with that.

Over the last two years Feet is 10-6-32 against current LHGCL DI and DII teams.  Feet hasn't won a game against a current LHGCL DI or DII team since Oct. 20, 2013.

1more_dd_dad
1more_dd_dad

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsMeAgain on 29/04/14, 11:22 pm

1more_dd_dad wrote:That's  more research on the Feet girls record than I really care to do, I actually haven't looked at the standings this Spring...  Like I said, Feet had 4/5 starters out all Spring, does that mean they finish 3,4,5,6, I don't know, but the injuries didn't help that's for sure.  I just take my DD to practice, to games and watch the games she asked to go to that involve her friends on other teams, (unfortunately my DD has a lot of friends D1/2/3 so we watch a lot of games). I see what the team is doing and how they are progressing in relation to other teams and keep my DD there because of that.   If it doesn't suit you and you strictly look at record to make your decisions instead of actually watching games, then that works for you, not knocking it, everyone has their own method.

Herbie wrote:
1more_dd_dad wrote:Last year Feet finished really strong and did not have a problem earning their bye.   This year Feet was sitting in third at the end of the Fall.  We had five girls injured most of the Spring and three still are not back.  It was a tough Spring and I'm not sure any D1 team could maintain any sort of momentum with that many girls out.

Injuries probably had something to do with D'Feeters falling behind and never like seeing girls sidelined like that, but I'm sure there were other excuses..................I mean factors................. involved.  As for a strong finish last year, yes they did.  But if I remember correctly they had to win their last 2 games and get help from other teams results.  Doesn't sound like they "didn't have a problem" avoiding relegation those last few weeks.  But they did what they had to.  Seriously though, that's no small accomplishment, so congrats to those girls.  And good for them, they finished one spot above where they finished this year.  

And I very, very, very seriously doubt you didn't look at the standings over the Spring season.  Were you shocked to watch all season, then realize at the end they dropped 5 spots in 8 games................1 step away from last place? I would be, unless I was open minded enough to see the lack of progression on my DD and her team compared to other players/opponents (which most parents aren't).

Like Herbie said though, ECNL saves D'Feeters from relegation into D2 next year.  So no more need for excuses.  Good luck with your tryouts and your transition to ECNL.

Anyone else have more thoughts on expectations that were met or not met this season in LHGCL?
ItsMeAgain
ItsMeAgain
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver on 30/04/14, 09:51 am

Select soccer is no different than of the other club sports. The cream rises to the top, both teams and players. Each year the more successful teams are able to review/upgrade their rosters from the ranks of the less successful. Those teams are forced to rebuild each year and normally fall further behind. Success breeds success.

A strong player, or rather her parents, on a less successful team will feel pressure to upgrade their options as they see other players leaving. There is a certain herd mentality. Whether they are really improving their lot in life is probably an individual thing. They may be trading wins and division status for playing time. Personally, I don't see a whole lot of benefit in trying to bounce teams up the ladder. Unless you have a clear reason to move, why shuffle your daughter between teams? There are reasons to move but I see a lot of girls shuffling at the same level all in the name of chasing W's. However, my point is that those coaches that are successful in developing teams as opposed to recruiting stars may see the greatest long term advancement. Their success will not be determined by a single 13 year old.

Sting Angell is a success story in how the team has developed. They have learned to play a beautiful game of soccer dominating D3 in league play and winning a significant number of tournament games against higher division opponents. While I have no doubt he has some star players, that isn't what you see when you watch them play. You see how well they play together. You don't see glaring weaknesses, they all appear strong. Sting didn't get this way by churning players each year. They didn't have to rebuild, they added more.

I really hate this time of year with all the turmoil caused by excessive movement. It is inevitable though. This year will be worse then most as the ECNL teams cull their rosters from the LH teams. Girls soccer is starting to resemble major league baseball with annual free agent movement. I suppose that makes LH and PPL the minor leagues.
Driver
Driver
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Grifter on 30/04/14, 12:09 pm

D'Feeters does have a cool name... the play on words with an apostrophe is greatness! Very Happy 

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by axlefoley on 30/04/14, 02:06 pm

I have seen several of the d'feeters games this spring, maybe 3-4 of them.  I think they are playing a really good brand of soccer and would love for my daughter to learn in that environment.  I saw them play Sting G and they lost 1-0, but dominated about 99% of game, but couldn't finish and Guzman did on a late breakaway from you guessed it #99.  I also saw them play Andromeda, another 99% domination  game and should of won, but once again couldn't finish and andromeda scored on some flukish goal and won the game.  Then i saw them play Solar Bates.  Toe to toe game, one of the best soccer games i have seen at this level, EVER.  Bates won 1-0, scored their goal on a late PK, that was a questionable call at best. What i remember most about this game was the last 10 minutes after that pk was scored, the d'feeters had Bates boxed in their end and had several opportunites to win the game, one of the girls even had a great one v one move on the goal keeper and had nothing but net in front of her and she shanked it to the right of goal... should of could of, we have all heard that scenario before.  I am not going to say that d'feeters are a great team or didn't deserve to lose those game,  but with all their injuries they are still playing a great game of soccer and competing at a very high level in this league.  They are every bit as solid of a team as bates, grubbs and the Texans.  I actually have no dog in this fight, but i do appreciate the game the D'feeters are bringing to the table every game.
axlefoley
axlefoley
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsMeAgain on 30/04/14, 02:59 pm

axlefoley wrote:They are every bit as solid of a team as bates, grubbs and the Texans.

Sorry.  I couldn't resist.  That's a pretty strong statement to make so I had to compare D'Feeters results to these three teams.  I compared prior year as well out of curiosity and one could make an argument that the gap was closed, but it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison year on year given the roster changes in July and things like player maturity levels, especially at this age (both physically and mentally) Whether the gap was closed by player development or other factors (and I'd argue it's a combination of both), it's irrelevant in that comparison.  Love that they fought off injuries and didn't give up through the spring season, but just my opinion, in no way does any of this justify a statement implying they're consistently as solid as those three.  If we added Sting Flanagan to the mix I'm sure we'd see the same type of results.  But everyone can make their own conclusions......................

2013/2014 (1W, 1D, 5L - 1GF, 13GA)

Texans
0-4 L
0-0 D
0-3 L

FCD
0-2 L
1-0 W

Solar Red
0-1 L
0-3 L

2012/2013 (0W, 0D, 9L - 3GF, 32GA)

Texans
0-4 L
1-3 L

FCD
0-4 L
1-4 L
1-5 L

Solar Red
0-4 L
0-3 L
0-1 L
0-4 L
ItsMeAgain
ItsMeAgain
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Poppy on 30/04/14, 03:11 pm

Please feel free to read my past post regarding the D'Feeters.....I have been a fan for a while.

That being said, I do have a few other observations regarding the Solar, Grubb and Texans comparison:

D'Feeters

Goals For - Tied for 2nd lowest in the league (12 or .75 per game)
Goals Against -  2nd lowest in the league (32 or 2 per game)

I like this team, but there is clearly some work that needs to be done on both ends of the field.

For the record:  Other teams have been playing with injured players or players that have been out the entire 2nd half of the season.
Big Poppy
Big Poppy
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 30/04/14, 03:23 pm

axlefoley wrote:I have seen several of the d'feeters games this spring, maybe 3-4 of them.  I think they are playing a really good brand of soccer and would love for my daughter to learn in that environment.  They are every bit as solid of a team as bates, grubbs and the Texans.  I actually have no dog in this fight, but i do appreciate the game the D'feeters are bringing to the table every game.

I assume your daughter is trying out for Feet ECNL?

Back to top Go down

Post by wxyz on 30/04/14, 03:54 pm

soccer punk wrote:
axlefoley wrote:I have seen several of the d'feeters games this spring, maybe 3-4 of them.  I think they are playing a really good brand of soccer and would love for my daughter to learn in that environment.  They are every bit as solid of a team as bates, grubbs and the Texans.  I actually have no dog in this fight, but i do appreciate the game the D'feeters are bringing to the table every game.

I assume your daughter is trying out for Feet ECNL?

Me thinks axlefoley does have a "dog in this fight"  Very Happy .

wxyz
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by axlefoley on 30/04/14, 04:14 pm

point taken guys, maybe we are trying out for d'feeters maybe we aren't, but i will let you decide on if my post sounds like a homer post.  Im not going to defend my position that is not the purpose of this thread.  My DD knows several on this team.  Ok, so they don't score many goals and they have given up almost 2 goals per game, ok so maybe they should be dropped down to D2.  Either way, i find the team very competitive everytime i have seen them play.  I don't think any of the teams in their league would argue with that.  Well maybe Kicks would, lol
axlefoley
axlefoley
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by allhatnocattle on 30/04/14, 04:23 pm

Meanwhile, the much-maligned D'feeters team has two winnable games on Saturday.  So there's that.

And I can assure everyone that I have no dog in the hunt or DD on the team.
allhatnocattle
allhatnocattle
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum