Latest topics
» Competitive Small sided in Allen/McKinney/Frisco/Plano
by chandrarr Today at 12:42 pm

» Competitive Small sided in Allen/McKinney/Frisco/Plano
by chandrarr Today at 12:41 pm

» 01 Girls Teams - U90C Labor Day Open (Sept 1-4)
by U90C Today at 12:15 pm

» Trophy Hunting?
by 7WhiskeyPapa Today at 12:08 pm

» Equal Playing Time For Players ?
by KeeperCommander Today at 10:28 am

» Hello Plano Labor Day Tournament... Is anybody in there?
by TxFutbal Today at 10:11 am

» TOURNAMENT: U90C Labor Day Open - Sept 1-4
by U90C Today at 09:56 am

» 09 Girls Teams - U90C Labor Day Open (Sept 1-4)
by U90C Today at 09:35 am

» FBR 09G April 30th 2017
by FBR07G Today at 09:07 am

» BMS Friday Soccer Skills Sessions
by psaldivar Today at 08:57 am

» Adidas Germantown Invitational
by db10 Today at 08:20 am

» Tatu's Sting 00' & 01' ECNL Open Tryout Schedule
by Poacher Today at 08:00 am

» 07 LH QT
by 7WhiskeyPapa Yesterday at 08:19 pm

» FDSP Training Program 2017/2018
by cityfutsal Yesterday at 07:45 pm

» 07 Girls Teams - U90C Labor Day Open (Sept 1-4)
by U90C Yesterday at 03:56 pm

» 09 Girls Team looking for players - Sting Mendoza - Dallas
by dorn993678 Yesterday at 02:47 pm

» 99 Girls Teams - U90C Labor Day Open (Sept 1-4)
by U90C Yesterday at 01:09 pm

» Looking to scrimmage 8/19
by LittleFeet10 Yesterday at 12:19 pm

» 08 Girls Teams - U90C Labor Day Open (Sept 1-4)
by U90C Yesterday at 10:28 am

» FCD. #23 AM full kit +extra
by momofsoccergirls 16/08/17, 11:51 pm

» Schedule for Lakehighlands Girls 07
by TxFutbal 16/08/17, 10:07 pm

» Turf Cup 3v3 Needs 2005, 2008 & 2009 Teams for This Weekend
by mexgenius 16/08/17, 02:46 pm

» D'Feeters 2010 North Team Forming
by dfeeters10north 16/08/17, 12:13 pm

» Sports Organization Management Software Jevin Dan Ptak TX
by Foxysoccermom 16/08/17, 11:50 am

» Sting YXL game shorts - $15
by phantoms 16/08/17, 11:49 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

2015 Donation
Make your annual TxSoccer.Net donation and get recognized

If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!
Statistics
We have 11234 registered users
The newest registered user is eajustin

Our users have posted a total of 161556 messages in 20306 subjects

Smart vs. Gamesmenship vs. Bush league? Opinions please....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Smart vs. Gamesmenship vs. Bush league? Opinions please....

Post by HereForTheConvo on 29/02/16, 11:50 am

A bunch of us have, I believe, been in this position.  Your DD's team is up by a goal....you're checking your watch (ok, make that the iPhone stopwatch).....15 minutes left in the 2nd half.  "C'mon team....hold 'em".  10 minutes go by, you look again....14 minutes left in the 2nd half.  UGH!!!!  The other team sends the ball out of bounds and it rolls quite a distance away from the pitch.  Your daughter, the outside defensive back and targeted with the throw-in, retrieves the ball and makes her way back to the field. Certainly not "wasting time", but also certainly not in a hurry.  Would there be a sense of urgency if your DD's team were down a goal....of course.  But not when you're up 1, right?

However, you start to hear bickering from the other team's contingent of parents about "wasting time" and how that's not "playing with class".  My question to the community.  Subbing in players more frequently at the end of a game.....taking your time and not being in a hurry with free kicks and throw-ins.  Would you put these types of things in the category of:

1) Smart.  The referee will govern if things are taking too long.  If you don't want it done to your team, don't be down late in the game.

2) Gamesmenship.  Part of the game, even though it leaves a bad taste in some folks mouths.    

3) Bush league. Beyond Gamesmenship. Just "classless" and I wouldn't want my DD playing on that team.

Thoughts?.......

HereForTheConvo
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: Smart vs. Gamesmenship vs. Bush league? Opinions please....

Post by lovemykeeper on 29/02/16, 12:20 pm

Lol- does depend whether your team is up but in the end, a little "clock management", within reason, is part of the game, IMO. If it is excessive the ref will, hopefully, handle it.
lovemykeeper
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by dadof3 on 29/02/16, 04:45 pm

I don't have a problem with a slow jog...The other team can choose to sprint after it...Subbing to run clock...that is a part of soccer. If the ref thinks it is less than sporting, he can add a little time-no big deal either way.

Here is one that I don't like...our player running out of bounds near the opponent bench to get a ball for a throw. As he is reaching for it, their coach calls him off the ball, catches the ball and throws it behind him 30 yards...classless.

Let the ball go, I grumble under my breath...I don't do that, but I get it...purposefully impede play...classless.
dadof3
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by CBTeamworks on 29/02/16, 11:46 pm

It's smart gamesmanship/coaching to run clock when you have the lead. However, I've seen it backfire plenty of times since some teams stop playing as aggressive as before and the let up allows the opposition to equalize.
CBTeamworks
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SocDad on 01/03/16, 09:03 am

Its really about the Ref's discretion.
I am seeing it more and more that the ref's desire to extend time is non-existence.

I have seen it hundreds of times....they kick the ball out and the other team gives chase.....Irk's me, but I really don't have an issue with that...part of the game.

I would like to see this rule:
"No Subbing within the last 2 minutes of the games" (unless injury + which then the ref should add extra time)
SocDad
Annual Supporting Member
Annual Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guess Who on 01/03/16, 10:56 am

It happens all the time, the team being down needs to go retrieve the ball to hurry things up.
Guess Who
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by HereForTheConvo on 01/03/16, 12:17 pm

Thanks for all the great feedback.  Sounds like the consistent message is "Has always been part of the game....the team trailing needs to do everything they can to have as much 'active' play on the field as possible".  

CBT....especially like the feedback on losing the aggressiveness.  Definitely have to avoid that.  Reminds me of the saying from football "The only thing a Prevent Defense does is prevent you from winning".  Teams who are up need to keep their foot on the accelerator while ensuring they don't take unnecessary risks.

HereForTheConvo
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by CBTeamworks on 01/03/16, 01:28 pm

HereForTheConvo wrote:Thanks for all the great feedback.  Sounds like the consistent message is "Has always been part of the game....the team trailing needs to do everything they can to have as much 'active' play on the field as possible".  

CBT....especially like the feedback on losing the aggressiveness.  Definitely have to avoid that.  Reminds me of the saying from football "The only thing a Prevent Defense does is prevent you from winning".  Teams who are up need to keep their foot on the accelerator while ensuring they don't take unnecessary risks.

Prevent defense is a great example. It's a universal phenomena that happens is every sport. It's human nature.

I saw it happen this week. Two teams are tied and the team without the wind wants the game to be over with and slows down getting balls in from out of bounds. The team with the wind scores the go ahead goal with :30 seconds left in the match. :45 seconds into stoppage time the team against the wind scores the equalizer. Both teams scored when the other team relaxed.
CBTeamworks
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by TatonkaBurger on 01/03/16, 01:30 pm

Don't overlook the fact that it doesnt just happen at the end of the game.  Our NTX wind usually gives one team an advantage each half.  The team that doesn't have the wind will take its sweet time whenever possible to get through the half.  

It's just soccer folks.
TatonkaBurger
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by nolanryan on 01/03/16, 03:45 pm

It all depends.  On my DD's team from 2 years ago we were ahead 3-2 in the closing minutes and her one teammate kept kicking the ball out of bounds...way way out of bounds.  The other teams parents were not thrilled.  That was probably a little over the top.  Coaches need not be involved in those either.  It turns out the ref added time anyway.
nolanryan
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by outtacontrol on 07/03/16, 09:56 am

I have actually seen a coach let several balls roll by his feet while his team was ahead. 30 minutes later his team is down 2-1 and he was getting every ball that came his way. It was actually quite amusing watching him run up and down hills retrieving balls. If the kids are slower to get the balls and all that, it's one thing. But, for a coach to be THAT obvious about it, shame on them. Teach your players good sportsmanship and how to have some class. If they choose to not follow your lead, that's on them.
outtacontrol
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum