» Lake Highlands?
by db10 Today at 12:37 am

» KW and her White Walkers
by GK dad07 Yesterday at 10:33 pm

» LFC IA Texas' 08G Barnes GK guest opportunity
by R.A.M Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» LFC IA Texas 04G Barnes guest player Labor Day
by R.A.M Yesterday at 10:16 pm

» 09 Girls Teams - U90C Labor Day Open (Sept 1-4)
by U90C Yesterday at 05:21 pm

» 07G Developmental Team looking for at-Level Scrimmages
by worldsoccer Yesterday at 04:43 pm

» TOURNAMENT: U90C Labor Day Open - Sept 1-4
by U90C Yesterday at 04:34 pm

» 07 Girls Teams - U90C Labor Day Open (Sept 1-4)
by U90C Yesterday at 04:01 pm

» 08 Girls Teams - U90C Labor Day Open (Sept 1-4)
by U90C Yesterday at 04:01 pm

» 09 FCD Lew/Plano/Colony/Frisco, etc
by Tmattison Yesterday at 03:38 pm

» D'Feeters 07G - [Aranha]
by DNWGS Yesterday at 03:11 pm

» D'Feeters 06G - [Aranha]
by DNWGS Yesterday at 03:10 pm

» Solar premier cup champions
by ddgonz22 Yesterday at 02:38 pm

» U7 Girls Teams - U90C Labor Day Open (Sept 1-4)
by U90C Yesterday at 01:58 pm

» D'feeters 08 (Colón) looking
by pingo99 Yesterday at 01:10 pm

» 05 Girls Teams - U90C Labor Day Open (Sept 1-4)
by U90C Yesterday at 12:20 pm

» 06 Girls Teams - U90C Labor Day Open (Sept 1-4)
by U90C Yesterday at 11:04 am

» 04 Girls Teams - U90C Labor Day Open (Sept 1-4)
by U90C Yesterday at 09:52 am

» FBR 08 August 22nd 2017
by FBR08G Yesterday at 09:47 am

» Dallas Texans 09 Scarfone Looking for players
by Mpereztx10 Yesterday at 09:01 am

» Beat the Heat Tournament (Edmond, OK)
by OkieEnergyDad 22/08/17, 08:55 pm

» Solar 08 Hernandez/Fonseca
by fonseca.soccer 22/08/17, 07:35 pm

» Fort Worth Soccer Performance at APEC
by tnelsoncook19 22/08/17, 03:16 pm

» TOURNAMENT: THE ROCK - AUSTIN - November 10-12, 2017
by U90C 22/08/17, 02:42 pm

» TOURNAMENT: VETERAN HEROES CUP - November 10-12, 2017
by U90C 22/08/17, 02:37 pm

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

2015 Donation
Make your annual TxSoccer.Net donation and get recognized

If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!
Statistics
We have 11303 registered users
The newest registered user is BWsBW

Our users have posted a total of 161690 messages in 20333 subjects

Shady or Common Practice

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Shady or Common Practice

Post by soccertruth on 28/03/16, 12:12 pm

If a player is on scholarship is it common practice that the other parents split that players dues? If that is common practice are the other parents made aware they are paying for the scholarship-ed player?

soccertruth
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Re: Shady or Common Practice

Post by ballhead on 28/03/16, 12:31 pm

soccertruth wrote:If a player is on scholarship is it common practice that the other parents split that players dues? If that is common practice are the other parents made aware they are paying for the scholarship-ed player?

In my experience, it's very common.  However, different clubs handle it differently.  The club my dd played most of her career with didn't offer any kind of scholarship for players.  If a team wanted to scholarship a player, the cost was divided up among the payers.

I haven't looked at a fact sheet in a few years, but we used to be required to state how many scholarships in the sheet that was supposed to be given out to everyone.  There was no requirement to identify those players or define how much of a scholarship, just how many.

There was no secret on our team of how many scholarships, and frankly, everyone quickly figured out who the scholarship players were.  Their parents were always the ones that refused to volunteer for anything, or fill any duties at out of town tournaments, because they had so many other committments. Very Happy
ballhead
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Re: Shady or Common Practice

Post by bwgophers on 28/03/16, 01:18 pm

In 7 years of academy/select, I don't think my DD's team has ever scholarshipped a player, so I can't directly comment on that.

What I can say, is that I was a team manager for her team at 2 different "big" NTX clubs, and both clubs built their team budgets and based their team dues based on a roster size that was 1-2 players less than the max roster size for the age group (i.e. at U11/U12 the budget was based on having 15 full paying players vs. max roster of 16, at U13/U14 the budget was based on having 16 full paying players vs. max roster of 18, etc...).

The "extra" roster spots were at the discretion of the coach.  If those spots were filled, the coach could either use those spots to provide full or partial scholarships to players on the team, or the coach could fill those spots with regular full-dues paying players, and the money from those players would go into the team's "discretionary" funds that could be used to pay for extra tournaments, indoor rentals, coach travel expenses to OOT tournaments, etc.

To my knowledge, my DD's team has always gone the route of having all players paying full dues and using the extra money for discretionary funds.

My point being that at least 2 of the big clubs in NTX build scholarship opportunities into their team budgets, such that players on a team with a scholarship player wouldn't be paying any different fees than the players on a team without a scholarship player.

However, the team with the scholarship player may have less "discretionary" budget, so in that case, the rest of the parents really are still paying the way for the scholarship player in some way, shape, or form.

Original Supporting Member
Original Supporting Member

Location : Enjoying Semi-Retirement as the Michael Slater Honorary Professor Emeritus of FBR at the Chamber of Imaginary Knowledge

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum