North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
>!<JOIN ILLUMINATI IN UGANDA KAMPALA +2767271614024/03/24, 08:49 amyunuko
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 01:09 amFever United Wright
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 12:00 pmDallas Texans East
Annis18/11/23, 12:00 pmPele
Triumph FC Boys09/11/23, 10:08 pmPele
ECNL Player ID Platform19/10/23, 02:34 pmsmugrr
Goalkeeper Wanted! 2007G Dallas Texans Soccer Team!10/10/23, 10:31 amDallas Texans East
BVB 09B Classic D305/10/23, 08:28 pmBdavis
Solar 14’ Rodriguez 19/09/23, 09:34 pmCHIVAS

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

The downward trend of ODP takes an even deeper nose dive  Pixel
Statistics
We have 15799 registered users
The newest registered user is Pancho83

Our users have posted a total of 205167 messages in 31957 subjects

The downward trend of ODP takes an even deeper nose dive

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The downward trend of ODP takes an even deeper nose dive  Empty The downward trend of ODP takes an even deeper nose dive

Post by CharlieSheen's Brain 21/09/16, 12:09 pm

NOT WINNING!

The ODP program has been on life support for many years now.   I think it's ready to be put out of it's misery.  Especially with so many other choices like: DA, ECNL, Champions League, JDL, LH, Plano, Arlington, and garland (Hat Tip to Soapbox Mom). What a Face    Unfortunately, the program is run by a megalomaniac who runs the program like it's his own personal fiefdom.   Other programs across the country have success and solid reputations.(and believe it or not are highly sought after by players in those regions).  The North Texas Program is another story.   The North Texas Staff is great and very professional, its just the head person is obnoxious and 100% responsible for running the program into the ground.  Buyer beware.  

Issues - just to name a few:

Revolving door of coaches - would be better for a person/family/player to spend money on skills with a constant coach in order to measure performance and improvement
Favoritism - rules don't apply.  Players don't need to show up in order to get invite to Camps.  Those that do show up, probably negatively affect their status because the coach sees too much... if that's possible.
Non-transparency - there is no open communication, everything is a secret.  Look at other ODP programs and they have their rankings posted for all to see (in the form of who is on travel team, etc)
No community involvement - ODP coaches do not go to league games to see their current ODP players or recruit solid excellent players for the program.
No commitment to a clear goal - A) is the program there to develop and showcase the most outstanding players, or B) train potential good players to become better players, or C) just a money grab.
Head of ODP program feeds ego by denigrating players.  He probably doesn't realize his poor choice of words and the affect on the ODP participants.
No consistent or meaningful feedback. I don't even know if coaches take notes during or after practice anymore.  Definitely nothing is shared with the player, even if they ask.  
During regionals, Texas gets hammered because the coaches don't know their players and are not prepared to champion them during the "Selection board meetings".   Florida, Georgia, even freaking Mississippi attend those meetings armed with stats and knowledge and regularly come out with more slots than probably deserved.  

I got more, but my hands/finger hurt from typing. and I got some Tigers Blood I need to harvest for my progeny.

All the above is just my simple humble opinion based on observations and possibly first hand experience. Just a shame.
CharlieSheen's Brain
CharlieSheen's Brain
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

The downward trend of ODP takes an even deeper nose dive  Empty Re: The downward trend of ODP takes an even deeper nose dive

Post by Lefty 21/09/16, 12:31 pm

Give the guy a break.

He has to make a living somehow, and all he knows is coaching teenage soccer.

Unfortunately he is trying to make it selling the equivalent to a rotary dial phone.

Lefty
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

The downward trend of ODP takes an even deeper nose dive  Empty Re: The downward trend of ODP takes an even deeper nose dive

Post by Bodhisattva 21/09/16, 01:15 pm

Again, as long as people keep paying, it will never be put out of its misery...

TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by FCsoccer1 21/09/16, 04:22 pm

what happenned to the SMU program... is that still going?
FCsoccer1
FCsoccer1
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by RightWingDad 24/09/16, 10:51 am

My dd showed up late to the party but does not want to go back this year. She got zero feedback from any of the coaches outside the practice session and as a parents we did not get anything either. She also did not like the dynamics or chemistry of coaches and players. But that is harder in a pool play system.

Of course now that LH is scheduling a lot of our games on Sunday afternoon it seems there's a high likelihood for that to impact attendance.

Too bad because I was excited about the potential. Different coaching perspective and only $35 bucks roughly for a 2 hour session.
RightWingDad
RightWingDad
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by SurfCup06 26/09/16, 07:59 am

Should you expect proactive feedback from coaches in general whether its ODP or from the club?

SurfCup06
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by RightWingDad 26/09/16, 12:37 pm

I suppose it depends on the coach/club. We've had both communicators and non-communicators. I'm not a high maintenance dad, but I do expect communication on progress, both strengths and areas needing improvement at least once or twice a year.

We currently get plenty of feedback from our small indy club/coach. We should enjoy it while we can b/c I sense the Indy days are numbered. More will follow in Andro/Mustangs footsteps.
RightWingDad
RightWingDad
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by TatonkaBurger 26/09/16, 02:17 pm

You are paying good money for a product and should absolutely expect feedback from a coach. If a coach is not willing to give it to you and to take the time to give you an honest evaluation of your DD, then he or she is either too lazy or too busy with too many teams in order to take time to do it.  Heck expect it in writing.  Get your money's worth people!
TatonkaBurger
TatonkaBurger
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 26/09/16, 02:22 pm

TatonkaBurger wrote:You are paying good money for a product and should absolutely expect feedback from a coach. If a coach is not willing to give it to you and to take the time to give you an honest evaluation of your DD, then he or she is either too lazy or too busy with too many teams in order to take time to do it.  Heck expect it in writing.  Get your money's worth people!

completely agree. Until people start demanding a certain level of accountability from clubs, people will continue to get robbed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Boy Bentley 26/10/16, 09:50 pm

We have no complaints w the ODP it's just another experience for my kid for life. I'm glad she competed and made the cut and can enjoy some quality players and extra training. The rest is up to her where she goes with it. If she makes a traveling team that bonus and it will be a good experience. All this other business propoganda w all the money making clubs is the problem. I read all these comments and no wonder people are so negative. I just enjoy the game and watching my kid compete

TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by TatonkaBurger 27/10/16, 12:34 am

Blah blah blah. You are paying a club and paying ODP. The jokes on you buddy.
TatonkaBurger
TatonkaBurger
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Boy Bentley 27/10/16, 05:17 am

That's right burger boy. I am just like you. Drinking the Kool aid and eating a greasy burger at MCDS.

TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 27/10/16, 08:37 am

That's correct enjoy it while you can. It's just that an experience that should not break the bank until your invited to camp.

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Boy Bentley 27/10/16, 08:53 am

Kids love camps. I hope she gets to go and hang out w some soccer heads. Sounds like good times.

TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Wannabe 27/10/16, 03:23 pm

Alabama regional camp costs $1,000 plus the cost of airfare. Too expensive for the type of camp that they run. There is a lot of down time. My DD asked not to go back. There are plenty of other camps throughout Texas that are a better experience and at much less cost.

TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Boy Bentley 27/10/16, 03:39 pm

She likes the training so far....I'd she gets any playing time in her eyes it's a bonus. We will cross the bridge about the camp.

TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 28/10/16, 09:02 am

This is good she enjoys the experience. Keeping a level head and understanding that the experience is not next level but can provide a for some players another place to showcase their abilities.

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Boy Bentley 28/10/16, 09:21 am

It's exposure and networking definitely.

TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Hamster 11/11/16, 03:29 pm

National Perspective:  

ODP is a big deal.  Why?

Most regions of the country (outside of North Texas) look at ODP as a lofty place for only the best of the best play.  College coaches love to see ODP on a players soccer history.  Look at the bio's on any NCAA Div I or II team and you will see their ODP involvement listed as a highlight for each player.
(Example here:  Texas A&M Soccer Roster )

Why do we have the opinions we do about ODP here in North Texas?  Because of the administration?  Because of the opinions on this board?  Because of the hyper competitive helicopter parenting that occurs here?  

I honestly don't know...

My DD, along with several of her friends has been in ODP 5+ years.  They enjoy it.  They like the camps.  They have grown as players and people from their ODP experiences.
Mia Hamster
Mia Hamster
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11/11/16, 03:45 pm

Because there is no money in it for the Coaches around here.

Back to top Go down

Post by 5050Ball 11/11/16, 04:02 pm

As a long-time observer, something dramatically has changed in NTX ODP. There have always been complaints about expense, coaching, politics and the like, but through it all, the Region III pool and team was always viewed as a great place to interact and be seen by top programs.

Looking at the upcoming rosters for Thanksgiving Interregionals, NTX has one (1) player listed among all 5 age groups.

Honest question: Do NTX players no longer view Region III team as a desirable goal? If not, what has taken its place?

Or, has NTX ODP admin lost its sway with Region III? We used to be well-represented.

http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/rosters_announced_for_2016_us_youth_soccer_odp_girls_thanksgiving_interregional/

5050Ball
5050Ball
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by saints510 05/01/17, 10:50 pm

CharlieSheen's Brain wrote:NOT WINNING!

The ODP program has been on life support for many years now.   I think it's ready to be put out of it's misery.  Especially with so many other choices like: DA, ECNL, Champions League, JDL, LH, Plano, Arlington, and garland (Hat Tip to Soapbox Mom). What a Face    Unfortunately, the program is run by a megalomaniac who runs the program like it's his own personal fiefdom.   Other programs across the country have success and solid reputations.(and believe it or not are highly sought after by players in those regions).  The North Texas Program is another story.   The North Texas Staff is great and very professional, its just the head person is obnoxious and 100% responsible for running the program into the ground.  Buyer beware.  

Issues - just to name a few:

Revolving door of coaches - would be better for a person/family/player to spend money on skills with a constant coach in order to measure performance and improvement
Favoritism - rules don't apply.  Players don't need to show up in order to get invite to Camps.  Those that do show up, probably negatively affect their status because the coach sees too much... if that's possible.
Non-transparency - there is no open communication, everything is a secret.  Look at other ODP programs and they have their rankings posted for all to see (in the form of who is on travel team, etc)
No community involvement - ODP coaches do not go to league games to see their current ODP players or recruit solid excellent players for the program.
No commitment to a clear goal - A) is the program there to develop and showcase the most outstanding players, or B) train potential good players to become better players, or C) just a money grab.
Head of ODP program feeds ego by denigrating players.  He probably doesn't realize his poor choice of words and the affect on the ODP participants.
No consistent or meaningful feedback. I don't even know if coaches take notes during or after practice anymore.  Definitely nothing is shared with the player, even if they ask.  
During regionals, Texas gets hammered because the coaches don't know their players and are not prepared to champion them during the "Selection board meetings".   Florida, Georgia, even freaking Mississippi attend those meetings armed with stats and knowledge and regularly come out with more slots than probably deserved.  

I got more, but my hands/finger hurt from typing. and I got some Tigers Blood I need to harvest for my progeny.

All the above is just my simple humble opinion based on observations and possibly first hand experience.   Just a shame.

What is JDL, DA and Champions League?

saints510
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 06/01/17, 05:23 am

ODP, Olympic Development Program the others you speak of are leagues club teams play in.

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Coach 06/01/17, 11:59 am

CharlieSheen's Brain wrote:NOT WINNING!

No consistent or meaningful feedback. I don't even know if coaches take notes during or after practice anymore.  Definitely nothing is shared with the player, even if they ask.  I asked about feedback the first year. Was promised there would be some. She got feedback one time in year 3...from a coach who had never coached her before the 2 hour session.

All the above is just my simple humble opinion based on observations and possibly first hand experience. SAME 

Original Supporting Member
Original Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by timmyh 06/01/17, 12:21 pm

It's a bit of a shame that the upcoming interstate friendlies in College Station are scheduled for the same weekend as the Jr ECNL and the U11 Winter Blast events in Houston.
The friendlies are fun, but lots of girls can't do ODP that weekend.

timmyh
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next