North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
>!<JOIN ILLUMINATI IN UGANDA KAMPALA +2767271614024/03/24, 08:49 amyunuko
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 01:09 amFever United Wright
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 12:00 pmDallas Texans East
Annis18/11/23, 12:00 pmPele
Triumph FC Boys09/11/23, 10:08 pmPele
ECNL Player ID Platform19/10/23, 02:34 pmsmugrr
Goalkeeper Wanted! 2007G Dallas Texans Soccer Team!10/10/23, 10:31 amDallas Texans East
BVB 09B Classic D305/10/23, 08:28 pmBdavis
Solar 14’ Rodriguez 19/09/23, 09:34 pmCHIVAS

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

The Leap from Small Club to Big Time Soccer - Page 2 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15799 registered users
The newest registered user is Pancho83

Our users have posted a total of 205167 messages in 31957 subjects

The Leap from Small Club to Big Time Soccer

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Leap from Small Club to Big Time Soccer - Page 2 Empty Re: The Leap from Small Club to Big Time Soccer

Post by KeeperCommander 15/06/17, 08:39 am

Much of the info is the same but it was a different article.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

The Leap from Small Club to Big Time Soccer - Page 2 Empty Re: The Leap from Small Club to Big Time Soccer

Post by Big Ern 15/06/17, 09:16 am

KeeperCommander wrote:
CBTeamworks wrote:
taborskulner wrote:the elitism on this board in general is humorous.
if your kid is good your coach will tell you
until your kid is dominating your league and far superior to anyone on your team stay put
otherwise youre risking putting your kid in over their heads

I think waiting for a kid to dominate the league is waiting too long.

I would recommend getting on a better team if a player is in the top third of their current team. Give them a new challenge, higher level players to play with and the ability to play together at a higher speed.

If a player is in the bottom third of their team for more than one year then I'd recommend that they find a lesser competitive team where they'll get more playing time and greater enjoyment from the game.

Small clubs have good coaches but they operate at a disadvantage. Less teams per age group for your player to play into. Less club player pass options for small clubs. Less options like JDL, ECNL and DA.

It's all about finding the right fit. If you go out for a tryout and the coach doesn't show you any love then they're either too full (meaning she'll get little playing time if she makes it) or she's borderline to make it and the coach is waiting for the possibility of a better player to come along. It's getting late in the process with teams filling up already so options are fewer than 2-4 weeks ago but there are still good options out there at various levels. Need to look around and attend several practices/scrimmages with numerous teams. Try to guest play as much as you can because it's the best way for a coach to see what your player has.
It's funny the new article about Pulisic says to keep your kid where they can handle the ball the most and that doesn't always mean go to a big club or to a club with a high level of play.

PA Classics is a big club with a USSDA program (high level of play).  The majority of this article (the feel good stuff about not pushing your kid, not taking him to the best team, etc) really screen the most likely reason that Christian has become the player he is.  Having both parents being high level D1 players (genetics), and a father that has a professional coach all over the country + Europe (exposure/environment) didn't hurt.  He also started playing in a competitive club environment at age 4 (no recreational play/substandard coaching), and played up in age most of his youth years.

Big Ern
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15/06/17, 01:57 pm

This might be the article referenced by KeeperCommander: https://sports.yahoo.com/christian-pulisics-upbringing-change-athletes-developed-u-s-210726336.html

Back to top Go down

Post by therightpass18 15/06/17, 09:46 pm

Thank you for the real feedback and information.

It does help those new to the process.

therightpass18
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeperCommander 16/06/17, 03:19 pm

Uncleof05AP wrote:This might be the article referenced by KeeperCommander: https://sports.yahoo.com/christian-pulisics-upbringing-change-athletes-developed-u-s-210726336.html
I believe this to be the article.
Pass18 to answer your question, there is no right way of doing things. You just do what you think is right for YOUR kid. Forget what worked for hundreds of others. Trust me is was hundreds of different ways.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Son_ofa_Pitch 16/06/17, 03:23 pm

Better article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2713937-the-christian-pulisic-blueprint?_branch_match_id=403271276012690981
Son_ofa_Pitch
Son_ofa_Pitch
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 16/06/17, 05:03 pm

KeeperCommander wrote:
Pass18 to answer your question, there is no right way of doing things. You just do what you think is right for YOUR kid.  Forget what worked for hundreds of others.  Trust me is was hundreds of different ways.

cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Foxysoccermom 16/06/17, 05:27 pm

Sho nuff...where you been girl? You up in ok now? You remember when we got drunk n crazy in vegas?
Foxysoccermom
Foxysoccermom
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by LastHoorah 16/06/17, 06:09 pm

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your experience) North Texas is all about finding the correct coach for the development stage your DD is in. Big club small club in my opinion is lower priority. We never joined a "club" (yes I know what the contract states) . We chose (parent and player together) the coach based on what DD wanted to improve upon. While the '00/'01 year group has sucked as an experience due to the multiple changes which affected this age group more than any other age group, our DD still had a great ride.

LastHoorah
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by eaglemountaindad99 21/06/17, 10:46 pm

bwgophers wrote:
therightpass18 wrote:
Our daughter's first goal is to play high school soccer so that is the first improvement arc we are helping with.

This is less about the club and more about the level she is playing at.  If your daughter will be attending a 6A or 5A HS in Dallas/Collin/Denton/Tarrant/Rockwall county, then she will likely need to be playing at the LH D2 level or higher, just to make the Varsity team at most of those schools.  At many 6A, and several of the better 5A programs, she will likely need to be playing at an LH D1 level or above to be a starter/significant contributor.  There are many "small club" teams playing at that level that will get her there, and there is no inherent advantage of a small club vs a large club here.  It's all about the level of competition she is capable of playing at, and the quality of her coach.

If she's 4A or below, in most cases, if she's playing competitive soccer somewhere (LH, PPL, APL), she will likely make the Varsity team.

therightpass18 wrote:
Then its those 3-4 years of high school to make it to the best college fit we can find.

Not knowing where you live, I'd like to emphasize that this is an important aspect that is generally overlooked.  DD will be a 4 yr starter in W Fort Worth.  We've only had 4-5 club players on Varsity at any given point.  (Bad ratio)  The high schools that have 10-15 Club players every year, they go to State playoffs every year.  (Fun High school games)  If your planning this far in advance, and you'd like her to have opportunity to play High School ball, get in a good district if you have the chance.  It's amazing if the girls get to play Club and HS together, it's an amazing bond/ friendship they build, and it shows on the field.  Gophers is right on the competition level, but those of us that moved into School Districts unware were never given advice....   Love the talk, thanks guys.

eaglemountaindad99
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22/06/17, 07:18 am

If you move to a district in pursuit of sports, no need to talk about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Hamster 23/06/17, 11:46 am

My player has been a select player since U11 and now U17.  She has played for small and big clubs in LHGCL D1 or D2 through her career.  We are currently in the college recruiting/selection process.  At this stage of the game, a big, established club is a huge asset.  The big clubs have a great network of coaches.  The coaching network at my DD's club has been instrumental in getting some personal contacts and written recommendations to some specific college coaches we are interested in.  Several of the big clubs even have a specific person on staff to help negotiate the college recruiting process.  

On another note:  Almost all of the college coaches we are speaking with could care less if you played high school soccer.  (One even advised not to play due to the less skilled play and higher injury potential).  They are really only concerned with your club experience & league plus any high-level "extras" (ECNL, ODP, ID2, Dev, etc...)
Mia Hamster
Mia Hamster
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by NoSpinZone 23/06/17, 11:49 am

Mia Hamster wrote:.  

On another note:  Almost all of the coaches we are speaking with could care less if you played high school soccer.  (One even advised not to play due to the less skilled play and higher injury potential).  They are really only concerned with your club experience & league plus any high-level "extras" (ECNL, ODP, ID2, Dev, etc...)

Even ODP?? Laughing

NoSpinZone
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Hamster 23/06/17, 12:00 pm

NoSpinZone wrote:

On another note:  Almost all of the coaches we are speaking with could care less if you played high school soccer.  (One even advised not to play due to the less skilled play and higher injury potential).  They are really only concerned with your club experience & league plus any high-level "extras" (ECNL, ODP, ID2, Dev, etc...)

Even ODP??  Laughing

Yes. From their perspective it's a vetting process. Questions we've gotten: "What age was she selected? Selected for Regional camp?"
Mia Hamster
Mia Hamster
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SocDad 23/06/17, 01:25 pm

NoSpinZone wrote:

Even ODP??  Laughing

Resume builder....
SocDad
SocDad
Annual Supporting Member
Annual Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by NoSpinZone 23/06/17, 01:31 pm

SocDad wrote:
NoSpinZone wrote:

Even ODP??  Laughing

Resume builder....

Sure, I have no issues with ODP. Is what it is. I was poking at the ODP hating crowd.

NoSpinZone
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunners 23/06/17, 01:34 pm

NTX ODP is just above useless.

(edit: fixed for question below)

Last edited by Gunners on 23/06/17, 02:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by RightWingDad 23/06/17, 02:28 pm

I perceive ODP value depends on what part of the country you are in. Some areas that don't have ECNL opportunities (and now DA) will likely benefit from stronger ODP programs...as it's the only game in town, or close to it anyway.

Anyone concur?
RightWingDad
RightWingDad
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by NoSpinZone 23/06/17, 02:45 pm

Much better! I knew the ODP detractors would come out. cheers cheers

NoSpinZone
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by RightWingDad 23/06/17, 02:50 pm

I'm not an ODP detractor. I rather thought the cost per touches and additional eyes on my kid were a solid value. Unfortunately my kiddo did not like it. No real connections to the girls, constant in-out players and hard to establish relationships (for my dd anyway). Thus she quit. Others though may have had a very different and better experience.

If it works for your kid, and she likes and develops through it I'd say do it. There is no one path through select soccer.

Do what works best for your DD and family, big club, small club, indy or big 4, ECNL or DA, ODP. End of story.
RightWingDad
RightWingDad
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by therightpass18 26/06/17, 12:19 pm

Thanks Mia.

We will file this away for later. HS soccer was one of my daughters wish list items so we will have to get more opinions on that before then.

Mia Hamster wrote:My player has been a select player since U11 and now U17.  She has played for small and big clubs in LHGCL D1 or D2 through her career.  We are currently in the college recruiting/selection process.  At this stage of the game, a big, established club is a huge asset.  The big clubs have a great network of coaches.  The coaching network at my DD's club has been instrumental in getting some personal contacts and written recommendations to some specific college coaches we are interested in.  Several of the big clubs even have a specific person on staff to help negotiate the college recruiting process.  

On another note:  Almost all of the college coaches we are speaking with could care less if you played high school soccer.  (One even advised not to play due to the less skilled play and higher injury potential).  They are really only concerned with your club experience & league plus any high-level "extras" (ECNL, ODP, ID2, Dev, etc...)

therightpass18
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2