2016/2017 Schedules

LH Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Thanksgiving Mini-Camp - EPT & Full Circle Futbol
by fcdallas06west Today at 12:47 am

» Liverpool Red White & Blue Cup
by Liverpool Tournaments Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» Liverpool Red White & Blue Cup
by Liverpool Tournaments Yesterday at 11:35 pm

» No More BW!
by RightWingDad Yesterday at 10:50 pm

» Parent brawl
by Zizou Yesterday at 07:04 pm

» New To Area
by McKinneyLocal Yesterday at 03:15 pm

» D'Feeters 08 JDL (Colón)
by pingo99 Yesterday at 11:44 am

» ISO Dallas Texans L/S Black Game Jerseys ****NEED ASAP****
by justsayin02 Yesterday at 11:06 am

» DA Composite
by Medicine Man Yesterday at 06:48 am

» Showcase tips requested
by Wildone 17/11/17, 08:38 pm

» FBR09 Rankings November 6th, 2017
by ProphAC 17/11/17, 07:50 pm

» NEW Texas Spirit 09 - Clark @ Pit Plano!
by acst 17/11/17, 04:07 pm

» Will ECNL survive?
by greaterisHe 17/11/17, 04:04 pm

» 04 Girls Teams - Upper 90 Challenge (Dec 1-3)
by U90C 17/11/17, 03:22 pm

» 09 Girls Teams - Upper 90 Challenge (Dec 1-3)
by U90C 17/11/17, 03:21 pm

» 05 Girls Teams - Round Rock Open - Austin, TX - Dec 8-10
by U90C 17/11/17, 03:15 pm

» What will be medicine mans next move??
by KeeperCommander 17/11/17, 01:24 pm

» 03 Girls Teams - Upper 90 Challenge (Dec 1-3)
by U90C 17/11/17, 11:45 am

» 05 Girls Teams - Upper 90 Challenge (Dec 1-3)
by U90C 17/11/17, 11:44 am

» TOURNAMENT: UPPER 90 CHALLENGE - December 1-3, 2017
by U90C 17/11/17, 11:42 am

» 04 Girls Teams - U90C SPRING KICKOFF (Feb. 1-4)
by U90C 17/11/17, 09:35 am

» DA vs ECNL, Look who's talking
by KeeperCommander 17/11/17, 08:22 am

» Dallas International Girls Cup 2018
by Jugglemaster 17/11/17, 12:45 am

» U10 Girls / 2008 Girls Team Needed for Saturday and Sunday
by CDA SOCCER 16/11/17, 09:59 pm

» Juggling
by Jugglemaster 16/11/17, 05:55 pm

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

2015 Donation
Make your annual TxSoccer.Net donation and get recognized

If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!
Statistics
We have 11433 registered users
The newest registered user is Liverpool Tournaments

Our users have posted a total of 165415 messages in 20812 subjects

Keeper development

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Keeper development

Post by TheKeeper'sDad on 22/10/17, 07:33 am

What (if any) club/team offers the best development for their Keepers? I've noticed that development time during practices gets focused on field players, but the Keeper position is just as important. I mean, at the start of every session coaches are on this message board looking for Keepers, but what are they doing to develop them once they have a willing Keeper?

TheKeeper'sDad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Posts : 30
Points : 211
Join date : 2017-05-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Keeper development

Post by Medicine Man on 22/10/17, 07:47 am

Most teams don't need a full time goalie unless they have a poor defense. I think you would be better served FOCUSING on field skills and guest playing w multiple teams to get more action. There's is a huge need for that for tournaments. Theres not many game changers that can dominate a good backside that I have seen across the board and we see it in the scores.

__________________________________________________
Things are quiet contracts signed and my paycheck keeps coming.
avatar
Medicine Man
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 268
Points : 330
Join date : 2017-09-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Keeper development

Post by KeeperCommander on 22/10/17, 10:16 am

Step one is play for a team that NEEDS a true keeper. That will allow for maximum touches. Second you have to get the most out of each training session that your coach offers. Keepers need good feet too. Third you have to get the keeper training from an outside source at least 2-3 times per month on top of what the club offers. When you do make it to a top team they will need a top keeper because they SHOULD be playing great teams on a consistent basis.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Posts : 1314
Points : 2846
Join date : 2013-09-30
Location : Sidelines watching practice

Back to top Go down

Re: Keeper development

Post by BigErn on 22/10/17, 10:23 am

While your GK shouldn't neglect work with a ball at her feet (the only accurate bit in BigBoy's post here), she should be working with a coach (not a trainer), as well as on her own at home.

As I'm sure you're aware, all of the bigs and most of the others have GK coaches on staff and offer training sessions.  These are most typically "training" with large groups and quick reps ... good to improve fitness, but much of the time, won't correct poor habits or help with mental aspect of the position.  At the higher levels at the bigs (both age and level of play), these sessions are more intimate, more often, and often are incorporated into team training sessions.

BigErn
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 446
Points : 1624
Join date : 2014-09-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Keeper development

Post by TheKeeper'sDad on 22/10/17, 10:44 am

So basically I should keep doing what I've been doing for my DD, pay for more development on top of the club dues?

TheKeeper'sDad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Posts : 30
Points : 211
Join date : 2017-05-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Keeper development

Post by KeeperCommander on 22/10/17, 10:52 am

TheKeeper'sDad wrote:So basically I should keep doing what I've been doing for my DD, pay for more development on top of the club dues?
Good Lord, you are not paying for development. You are paying for training, development is just what happens when you train correctly and effectively. Yes it costs more money. More importanty it costs more time reinforcing what they need to master.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Posts : 1314
Points : 2846
Join date : 2013-09-30
Location : Sidelines watching practice

Back to top Go down

Re: Keeper development

Post by KeeperCommander on 22/10/17, 10:57 am

And dont get caught up in what you call the person training your DD. If they are helping then they are doing their job. Different voices can sometimes be a blessing as long as they do not contradict one another.
Have been to a ton of "coaches", some could not coach themselves out of a paper bag. That is all.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Posts : 1314
Points : 2846
Join date : 2013-09-30
Location : Sidelines watching practice

Back to top Go down

Re: Keeper development

Post by BigErn on 22/10/17, 10:58 am

Until she is playing at the ECNL or DA level, you probably aren't going to be satisfied with what your club provides for GKs so, (unfortunately) yes.

It's a positional issue -- similar to our having to pay extra for gloves and GK jerseys.

BigErn
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 446
Points : 1624
Join date : 2014-09-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Keeper development

Post by Guest on 22/10/17, 12:13 pm

As much as we all want our kids getting tons of PT in games, don't knock the virtues of sitting the bench some, especially for GK's.

As strange as this will sound, I firmly believe that one of the best things that happened for my DD's development was having to sit out her Freshman (U15) year due to injury.

From U12-U14, she was the only GK on her team, and therefore was always out on the field.  The year she spent sitting the bench at every game with her injury gave her an entirely different view and perspective of the game, and she got to hear ALL of the  coaches comments, not only relating to the keeper, but the backline, mids, etc...  Kind of like a year's worth of real-time film review. A perspective she never was getting between the pipes 50+ yards away from the coaches always having the same viewpoint of the field action.

When she got back into games after her injury, it was immediately clear that her tactical understand of the game, instructing/positioning her back line, her distributions, etc., were at a completely different level.

Would never wish an injury on a kid, but just the perspective that sometimes, sitting the bench can actually be the best thing for a player's development, if the time on the bench is approached with the correct perspective.

Firebomb away folks...

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Keeper development

Post by BigErn on 22/10/17, 12:14 pm

bwgophers wrote:As much as we all want our kids getting tons of PT in games, don't knock the virtues of sitting the bench some, especially for GK's.

As strange as this will sound, I firmly believe that one of the best things that happened for my DD's development was having to sit out her Freshman (U15) year due to injury.

From U12-U14, she was the only GK on her team, and therefore was always out on the field.  The year she spent sitting the bench at every game with her injury gave her an entirely different view and perspective of the game, and she got to hear ALL of the  coaches comments, not only relating to the keeper, but the backline, mids, etc...  Kind of like a year's worth of real-time film review. A perspective she never was getting between the pipes 50+ yards away from the coaches always having the same viewpoint of the field action.

When she got back into games after her injury, it was immediately clear that her tactical understand of the game, instructing/positioning her back line, her distributions, etc., were at a completely different level.

Would never wish an injury on a kid, but just the perspective that sometimes, sitting the bench can actually be the best thing for a player's development, if the time on the bench is approached with the correct perspective.

Firebomb away folks...

SPOT EFFING ON.

BigErn
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 446
Points : 1624
Join date : 2014-09-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Keeper development

Post by KeeperCommander on 22/10/17, 02:24 pm

BigErn wrote:
bwgophers wrote:As much as we all want our kids getting tons of PT in games, don't knock the virtues of sitting the bench some, especially for GK's.

As strange as this will sound, I firmly believe that one of the best things that happened for my DD's development was having to sit out her Freshman (U15) year due to injury.

From U12-U14, she was the only GK on her team, and therefore was always out on the field.  The year she spent sitting the bench at every game with her injury gave her an entirely different view and perspective of the game, and she got to hear ALL of the  coaches comments, not only relating to the keeper, but the backline, mids, etc...  Kind of like a year's worth of real-time film review. A perspective she never was getting between the pipes 50+ yards away from the coaches always having the same viewpoint of the field action.

When she got back into games after her injury, it was immediately clear that her tactical understand of the game, instructing/positioning her back line, her distributions, etc., were at a completely different level.

Would never wish an injury on a kid, but just the perspective that sometimes, sitting the bench can actually be the best thing for a player's development, if the time on the bench is approached with the correct perspective.

Firebomb away folks...

SPOT EFFING ON.
Clearly some of the best coaches that were backup players in the pros (doesnt matter the sport) had the benefit of those sideline lessons. They have the better understanding regardless of the talent.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Posts : 1314
Points : 2846
Join date : 2013-09-30
Location : Sidelines watching practice

Back to top Go down

Re: Keeper development

Post by Medicine Man on 22/10/17, 02:34 pm

Keepers are in demand I recommend all to post availability replace the lack of development at the club and get a good trainer....There's plenty of teams probably at least half maybe closer to 3/4 That need a goalie.you will have plenty contact you to guest play in tournaments year round. Just advertise... Basketball

__________________________________________________
Things are quiet contracts signed and my paycheck keeps coming.
avatar
Medicine Man
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 268
Points : 330
Join date : 2017-09-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Keeper development

Post by KeeperCommander on 23/10/17, 06:33 am

Medicine Man wrote:Keepers are in demand I recommend all to post availability replace the lack of development at the club and get a good trainer....There's plenty of teams probably at least half maybe closer to 3/4 That need a goalie.you will have plenty contact you to guest play in tournaments year round. Just advertise... Basketball
I thought you just said MOST teams didn’t need a good keeper if they had a good defense. You have to make up your mind. It’s that thing between your ears that’s allows you to remember your password for this site. Something that most of us wish you would forget.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Posts : 1314
Points : 2846
Join date : 2013-09-30
Location : Sidelines watching practice

Back to top Go down

Re: Keeper development

Post by Medicine Man on 23/10/17, 06:52 am

There is no development or teams anymore KC. They should play on lots of pooled tournaments and find a trainer.

__________________________________________________
Things are quiet contracts signed and my paycheck keeps coming.
avatar
Medicine Man
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 268
Points : 330
Join date : 2017-09-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Keeper development

Post by Medicine Man on 23/10/17, 07:04 am

I thought you were the keeper commander. You should be called camo man wo his undies w some of your recommendations. Really disappointed KC.

Keeper Commando

__________________________________________________
Things are quiet contracts signed and my paycheck keeps coming.
avatar
Medicine Man
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 268
Points : 330
Join date : 2017-09-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Keeper development

Post by KeeperCommander on 23/10/17, 08:18 am

Medicine Man wrote:I thought you were the keeper commander. You should be called camo man wo his undies w some of your recommendations. Really disappointed KC.

Keeper Commando
You should really start taking your meds again.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Posts : 1314
Points : 2846
Join date : 2013-09-30
Location : Sidelines watching practice

Back to top Go down

Re: Keeper development

Post by Medicine Man on 23/10/17, 12:11 pm

Captain Commando you should know better about helping a goal keeper.

__________________________________________________
Things are quiet contracts signed and my paycheck keeps coming.
avatar
Medicine Man
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 268
Points : 330
Join date : 2017-09-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Keeper development

Post by KeeperCommander on 23/10/17, 12:31 pm

I do, and its one word. Settle down.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Posts : 1314
Points : 2846
Join date : 2013-09-30
Location : Sidelines watching practice

Back to top Go down

Re: Keeper development

Post by Medicine Man on 24/10/17, 04:04 pm

KC, I'm perplexed.

__________________________________________________
Things are quiet contracts signed and my paycheck keeps coming.
avatar
Medicine Man
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 268
Points : 330
Join date : 2017-09-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Keeper development

Post by KeeperCommander on 24/10/17, 04:06 pm

Why does that not surprise me.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Posts : 1314
Points : 2846
Join date : 2013-09-30
Location : Sidelines watching practice

Back to top Go down

Re: Keeper development

Post by Medicine Man on 24/10/17, 04:31 pm

I got you pegged KC. The key witness.

__________________________________________________
Things are quiet contracts signed and my paycheck keeps coming.
avatar
Medicine Man
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 268
Points : 330
Join date : 2017-09-29

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum