Latest topics
League Challenge Cup discussionToday at 09:17 pmteddykgb
TOP TEN 08’ BOYS TEAMSToday at 08:21 pmAttaBoy
Out of ControlToday at 03:33 pmCornydogonastick
06 Boys looking for a free or half price tourney in DecemberToday at 03:09 pmEFC-Soccer
GEE THANKS DTSC FALL FESTIVAL!?Today at 02:26 pmGameday 04 New
07 Boys Teams - Round Rock Open (Dec. 7-9)Today at 01:35 pmU90C
03 Boys Teams - Upper 90 Challenge (Nov. 30-Dec. 2)Today at 01:04 pmU90C
Dfeeters Thanksgiving ShowcaseToday at 12:52 pmcanaryman
12 Girls Teams - Upper 90 Challenge (Nov. 30-Dec. 2)Today at 12:21 pmU90C
09 Girls Teams - Upper 90 Challenge (Nov. 30-Dec. 2)Today at 10:56 amU90C
07 Girls Teams - Upper 90 Challenge (Nov. 30-Dec. 2)Today at 10:55 amU90C
11 Girls Teams - Upper 90 Challenge (Nov. 30-Dec. 2)Today at 10:54 amU90C
10 Boys Teams - Upper 90 Challenge (Nov. 30-Dec. 2)Today at 10:52 amU90C
Looking for guest players! Today at 08:28 ampingo99
Solar East Williamson 09 JCLToday at 05:50 amSolarEastForney
05 Girls Teams - Upper 90 Challenge (Nov. 30-Dec. 2)Yesterday at 05:34 pmU90C
12 Boys Teams - Upper 90 Challenge (Nov. 30-Dec. 2)Yesterday at 05:32 pmU90C
07 Boys Teams - Upper 90 Challenge (Nov. 30-Dec. 2)Yesterday at 05:30 pmU90C
05 Boys Teams - Upper 90 Challenge (Nov. 30-Dec. 2)Yesterday at 05:28 pmU90C
10 Boys Teams - Round Rock Open (Dec. 7-9)Yesterday at 05:26 pmU90C
05 Boys Teams - Round Rock Open (Dec. 7-9)Yesterday at 05:25 pmU90C
05 Girls Teams - Round Rock Open (Dec. 7-9)Yesterday at 05:24 pmU90C
Texas Cup Tournament - 07 Gold Team Needed - Plays for FreeYesterday at 04:52 pmTexasCup
Liverpool FC 2010 Girls The Colony/FriscoYesterday at 04:17 pmSGS
PEGASUS SC looking for GOALKEEPER Yesterday at 03:18 pmLefty

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Statistics
We have 12736 registered users
The newest registered user is locoxelfutbol

Our users have posted a total of 183649 messages in 24436 subjects

Trouble in Paradise?

Page 4 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Re: Trouble in Paradise?

Post by AtThePitch on 18/04/18, 10:33 am

dakobbie03 wrote:
AngelinaGoalee wrote:Hypothetical Question:
If you and a colleague both have daughters of the same age,
both play soccer, same skills set basically. One goes ECNL, one does DA. Both for 4 years....DA player never sniffs USWNT but they both end up in D1 colleges full ride...was the DA experience a bust?

No, not a bust.

One kid spends 4 years basically on a pro players schedule, missing out on all kinds of life events.

Life can't be repeated, and as I tell my kid routinely... There will be a day you will not be a soccer player...

Not worth it...

AtThePitch
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by NoSpinZone on 18/04/18, 10:38 am

AtThePitch wrote:
dakobbie03 wrote:
both play soccer, same skills set basically. One goes ECNL, one does DA. Both for 4 years....DA player never sniffs USWNT but they both end up in D1 colleges full ride...was the DA experience a bust?

No, not a bust.

One kid spends 4 years basically on a pro players schedule, missing out on all kinds of life events.  

Life can't be repeated, and as I tell my kid routinely... There will be a day you will not be a soccer player...

Not worth it...

I'll split the difference. Depends. Depends on the kid. Do they want to play volleyball/basketball/track/soccer in high school...do they want to do any normal high school kid stuff with friends... or do they want to play soccer and thats it.

I know a few socially inept kids, that DA would probably best choice for them, they have soccer, and not much else, its a great choice. Multisport athletes, or soccer players that need more time doing high school girl stuff w friends, ECNL might be better.

Many paths to reach the same goal. Don't have to be cookie cutter for all.

NoSpinZone
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by AggieSoccer51 on 18/04/18, 10:48 am

NoSpinZone wrote:
AtThePitch wrote:
dakobbie03 wrote:

No, not a bust.

Not worth it...

I'll split the difference.  Depends.  Depends on the kid.  Do they want to play volleyball/basketball/track/soccer in high school...do they want to do any normal high school kid stuff with friends... or do they want to play soccer and thats it.

I know a few socially inept kids, that DA would probably best choice for them, they have soccer, and not much else, its a great choice.  Multisport athletes, or soccer players that need more time doing high school girl stuff w friends, ECNL might be better.

Many paths to reach the same goal.  Don't have to be cookie cutter for all.

^^ding ding....we have a winner^^

AggieSoccer51
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by goscore! on 18/04/18, 10:51 am

NoSpinZone wrote:
AtThePitch wrote:
dakobbie03 wrote:

No, not a bust.

Not worth it...

I'll split the difference.  Depends.  Depends on the kid.  Do they want to play volleyball/basketball/track/soccer in high school...do they want to do any normal high school kid stuff with friends... or do they want to play soccer and thats it.

I know a few socially inept kids, that DA would probably best choice for them, they have soccer, and not much else, its a great choice.  Multisport athletes, or soccer players that need more time doing high school girl stuff w friends, ECNL might be better.

Many paths to reach the same goal.  Don't have to be cookie cutter for all.

Exactly.
Some kids only want to do soccer...social/outside sports, etc isn't as important
Some families may need the subsidized costs DA clubs like FCD can provide.
No one can judge which is best for every single situation

goscore!
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by AtThePitch on 18/04/18, 10:54 am

Stating what my personal opinion for my personal family.

AtThePitch
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou on 18/04/18, 10:55 am

AtThePitch wrote:
dakobbie03 wrote:

No, not a bust.

Not worth it...

Wrong, speaking from experience the only thing missed this season has been the high school soccer. Academics, academic clubs, hanging with friends, and even prom last weekend has made for a typical year. Hell her ECNL team was practicing three and four night a week building up to the many showcases.

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by AtThePitch on 18/04/18, 11:02 am

Where is the it's not cookie cutter for everyone for the guy saying I'm wrong in my own personal opinion?

Zizou has spoken!
AtThePitch
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Blues Fan on 18/04/18, 11:06 am

AtThePitch wrote:
dakobbie03 wrote:

No, not a bust.

Not worth it...

now that's funny!
Blues Fan
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by TatonkaBurger on 18/04/18, 11:09 am

Brian Griffins BFF wrote:Based on that ECNL article the only 2 DFW clubs listed on the 79 All In list are Feet and Sting.  Thought Texans were committed to ECNL as well.  And if you aren't on that list does that mean you will not be included in ECNL for '18/19 season???  #youthsoccergivesmeaheadache

I think All In means the club is only doing ECNL.  ECNL will get the clubs top team in each age group and not have DA.
TatonkaBurger
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by AtThePitch on 18/04/18, 11:12 am

Blues Fan wrote:
AtThePitch wrote:
dakobbie03 wrote:

No, not a bust.

Not worth it...

now that's funny!

To each their own. I won't laugh at your personal opinion and decision you've made for your family.

Still wish your family the best!
AtThePitch
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest101 on 18/04/18, 11:13 am

Just because your daughter says yes to everything and thinks that it pleases you does not mean she loves the sport as much as you think she does.  If she is training four days a week, plus games and is not able to have a social life (no high school soccer, no day off, etc) you can expect a little rebelliousness as a teen and no amount of begging from mom and dad will convince them to continue playing, regardless how much you have invested in it so far.  

They are being preached to that DA/ECNL/XYZ/ABC is the best league and to get to WNT/NWSL/College you have to be in this league.  So when that league demands more of their time than they are willing to give then what?  It is not like you can tell them to drop down a division, because that would be hypocritical.  Just be careful what you ask for, and let her choose the path that she wants.  Be there to support whatever decision she makes and you will have a lot more sanity at the end of this journey.

On a side note boys do not have that problem.  They will place priority on sports first and the girls come second.  Girls judge each other by "social acceptance" and "popularity" and that is more important to them than dedication to a sport that 80% will quit by the time they graduate.

https://youtu.be/6prAJwJzT1Q

Guest101
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by PowerKick on 18/04/18, 11:40 am

Compare to ECNL, DA will not affect their social life, ECNL train 3~4 times anyway.

It will make big difference for multi-sport athletes, not the social.

PowerKick
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest101 on 18/04/18, 11:46 am

PowerKick wrote:Compare to ECNL, DA will not affect their social life, ECNL train 3~4 times anyway.

It will make big difference for multi-sport athletes, not the social.

Did the magic eight ball tell you that?

lol Rolling Eyes drunken Razz

Guest101
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunners on 18/04/18, 11:51 am

AtThePitch wrote:
dakobbie03 wrote:

No, not a bust.

Not worth it...

This times a freaking BILLION.

TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelinaGoalee on 18/04/18, 12:09 pm

Guest101 wrote:Just because your daughter says yes to everything and thinks that it pleases you does not mean she loves the sport as much as you think she does.  If she is training four days a week, plus games and is not able to have a social life (no high school soccer, no day off, etc) you can expect a little rebelliousness as a teen and no amount of begging from mom and dad will convince them to continue playing, regardless how much you have invested in it so far.  

They are being preached to that DA/ECNL/XYZ/ABC is the best league and to get to WNT/NWSL/College you have to be in this league.  So when that league demands more of their time than they are willing to give then what?  It is not like you can tell them to drop down a division, because that would be hypocritical.  Just be careful what you ask for, and let her choose the path that she wants.  Be there to support whatever decision she makes and you will have a lot more sanity at the end of this journey.

On a side note boys do not have that problem.  They will place priority on sports first and the girls come second.  Girls judge each other by "social acceptance" and "popularity" and that is more important to them than dedication to a sport that 80% will quit by the time they graduate.

https://youtu.be/6prAJwJzT1Q

you sound like a damn....

psychic!! each case is different but this sounds very freaking accurate.

AngelinaGoalee
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelinaGoalee on 18/04/18, 12:17 pm

So its not necessarily a "bust"....results may vary.
Next question is...(next questions are...)

If your DD didnt get in on DA when it was on the ground floor or she didnt have a long tenure in ECNL , does this exclude your daughter from getting the most out of either league in her future if she decides she wants to fully commit to soccer?

As in play competitively, train and just revisit one of those leagues her junior or senior year? Will she have missed out on a great deal of things? Or will talent still prevail?

Last edited by AngelinaGoalee on 18/04/18, 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

AngelinaGoalee
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SickofStupidity on 18/04/18, 12:19 pm

Zizou wrote:
AtThePitch wrote:
dakobbie03 wrote:

No, not a bust.

Not worth it...

Wrong, speaking from experience the only thing missed this season has been the high school soccer. Academics, academic clubs, hanging with friends, and even prom last weekend has made for a typical year. Hell her ECNL team was practicing three and four night a week building up to the many showcases.

How many days of school has your dd missed this school year?

SickofStupidity
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelinaGoalee on 18/04/18, 12:25 pm

SickofStupidity wrote:
Zizou wrote:
AtThePitch wrote:
dakobbie03 wrote:

No, not a bust.

Not worth it...

How many days of school has your dd missed this school year?

"Days missed" doesn't necessarily equal to "Academics missed"...
But if the grades slip because of those days then you have a point and there needs to be some tweaking to the priority list.

AngelinaGoalee
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest101 on 18/04/18, 12:28 pm

AngelinaGoalee wrote:So its not necessarily a "bust"....results may vary.
Next question is...(next questions are...)

If your DD didnt get in on DA when it was on the ground floor or she didnt have a long tenure in ECNL , does this exclude your daughter from getting the most out of either league in her future if she decides she wants to fully commit to soccer?

As in play competitively, train and just revisit one of those leagues her junior or senior year? Will she have missed out on a great deal of things? Or will talent still prevail?

I have seen several players who came on late in their HS years and begin to contribute heavy minutes.  FCD has a few players in their system that have been able to thrive.  This may have been because of the age split or various other reasons.  I guess it would be hard to pinpoint the reasoning but yes it has happened and probably more often than I am aware.

Guest101
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ern on 18/04/18, 12:30 pm

Glad to see this post incited some intelligent convo and expression of logical opinion.

However, it's clear that by the declaration of things like "pro players" schedule", "missing out of life events", "no day off", and "for socially inept kids ... DA is best choice (this one is especially myopic served with a side of jacka$$)", that there is still quite a bit of misconception out there.  

The GDA kids operate on a 10 month schedule.  They did absolutely zero for a couple months over the winter and it'll be the same after playoffs this summer.  My kid, for example went without a match from 11/27/17-3/3/18 and didn't train for 5 weeks within that span ... in fact the kids were put on an order of rest without any soccer.  Having a 4th training session (ReGen) for an hour on Sundays hardly takes away from life events, social life, etc.  In fact, I'd say that in the grand scheme year round, the ECNL kids end up training just as much as the GDA kids, and play in even more matches.  Add HS soccer, and they are training exponentially more + playing in a bunch more (mostly poor quality) matches.

Hope this helps ...

Big Ern
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest101 on 18/04/18, 12:38 pm

Big Ern wrote:Glad to see this post incited some intelligent convo and expression of logical opinion.

However, it's clear that by the declaration of things like "pro players" schedule", "missing out of life events", "no day off", and "for socially inept kids ... DA is best choice (this one is especially myopic served with a side of jacka$$)", that there is still quite a bit of misconception out there.  

The GDA kids operate on a 10 month schedule.  They did absolutely zero for a couple months over the winter and it'll be the same after playoffs this summer.  My kid, for example went without a match from 11/27/17-3/3/18 and didn't train for 5 weeks within that span ... in fact the kids were put on an order of rest without any soccer.  Having a 4th training session (ReGen) for an hour on Sundays hardly takes away from life events, social life, etc.  In fact, I'd say that in the grand scheme year round, the ECNL kids end up training just as much as the GDA kids, and play in even more matches.  Add HS soccer, and they are training exponentially more + playing in a bunch more (mostly poor quality) matches.

Hope this helps ...

I would agree with this.  I will add that in the winter and once Nationals are over with in the summer the ECNL kids also take a break.  Not every ECNL kid plays HS soccer.  I know of a few that play other sports and suck at them but play them anyway just for the sheer enjoyment of getting out and having some fun with their friends.  Putting DA players or ECNL players in a box is not a fair assessment.  I guess we shouldn't assume DA trains 24/7 nor should we assume the only reason a kid wants ECNL is HS soccer.

Guest101
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelinaGoalee on 18/04/18, 12:39 pm

Big Ern wrote:Glad to see this post incited some intelligent convo and expression of logical opinion.

Hope this helps ...

your daughter is in a virtual DA heaven...

it isn't the same for other DA members at other clubs.
that's not a slight to you or DA in its entirety. but experiencing DA from a not so great stand point makes you look at things from a different perspective.

its really a shame lol

AngelinaGoalee
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by NoSpinZone on 18/04/18, 12:53 pm

Hope this helps ...

You really do live in your own little world dont you.  I bet you lap up everything CNN feeds you. Certainly have trouble reading and comprehending.  Never said "for socially inept", just that I knew a couple.  So you are twisting the truth as normal.  Probably safe to say most DA players are socially adequate.  

Do you really wonder why some posters come at you BigEgo?

NoSpinZone
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerjack on 18/04/18, 01:20 pm

I like to come at Bigego because he sets it up so nicely. So after saying DA will be free to all and the best run league that will continue to grow, and the best managed well thought out league and and and.....Now we get, it should probably have fewer teams and just be tied to MLS teams and it's very expensive and and and and..... now multiple good clubs are telling the idiots in charge to pound sand.

Bring on DA2.
soccerjack
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by TatonkaBurger on 18/04/18, 01:37 pm

Hey Angie, this news does not mean that DA is or has been a bust.  It will continue with who stays in it and maybe even add to that number.  And because of who runs it, the end goal and purpose for it is still the same.  If nothing else, the immediate contraction will make it actually think through decisions in the future instead of making them on the fly and with a huge ego.  

Do you think OK Energy has cancelled that order on the cross-state shuttle vans yet?
TatonkaBurger
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ern on 18/04/18, 01:43 pm

Gentlemen ... Gentlemen.  (Speaking of trouble with comprehension)

Jackie -- you know that I never wrote (nor did I even think) that, "DA will be free to all and the best run league that will continue to grow, and the best managed well thought out league"

And Spinner -- show me where I am "twisting the truth"

When it comes to GDA vs ECNL, all I've ever done is answer a few questions and state that the majority of the talent went to the GDA.  This isn't arguable considering the history of success during the past 10 years of ECNL participation, especially most recently, of those clubs that accepted the GDA invitation.  This happens to be the case in NTX and in most of the country, but doesn't mean that there aren't ECNL team out there that are stronger than some GDA teams.  That being said, this does not mean that GDA is better than ECNL, nor that those kids in ECNL can't achieve their goals in the same fashion as those kids in GDA.

As I've mentioned many times from my "own little world" point of view (hilarity  Laughing ) ... I have kids participating in PPL, LHGCL, CL, JDL, ECNL, and GDA.  I have friends that coach at clubs big and small with teams in each of these leagues.  Love em all, respect em all.  As has been mentioned in this thread multiple times ... everyone has a 'right' spot somewhere.  Just speakin' the truth --

Sooo ... If you disagree and are up for it, feel free to waste some more of your day trolling.  

ADIOS MUCHACHOS!

Big Ern
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum