Latest topics
FBR10 Rankings July 5th, 2018Today at 11:05 amTrustTheProcess
Congratulations Again SoapboxmomToday at 09:58 amSoapboxmom
Renegades Soccer Club 2009G Today at 09:53 amRenegades Soccer Club
05 Girl Looking to Guest Play - Have Coach's BlessingToday at 08:37 amdreadpirateroberts
looking for that 1 player!!!!Today at 08:36 amtornadoes
Game of the WeekToday at 08:33 amdreadpirateroberts
TOP TEN 08’ BOYS TEAMSYesterday at 11:38 pmCobra Kai
New Solar 10G TeamYesterday at 09:47 pmFMSolar
09 Girls Teams - U90C Spring Kickoff (Jan. 31-Feb. 3, 2019)Yesterday at 01:39 pmU90C
05 Boys Teams - U90C Spring Kickoff (Jan. 31-Feb. 3, 2019)Yesterday at 01:36 pmU90C
why pay $500-$600 for a tournamentYesterday at 11:11 amtornadoes
03 Boys Teams - U90C Spring Kickoff (Jan. 31-Feb. 3, 2019)Yesterday at 11:09 amU90C
PEGASUS SC looking for 1-2 players Yesterday at 08:57 amCoachYigit
PEGASUS SC looking for 1-2 players Yesterday at 08:56 amCoachYigit
02 Boys Teams - U90C Spring Kickoff (Jan. 31-Feb. 3, 2019)Yesterday at 08:43 amU90C
08 Boys Teams - Hill Country Classic (Jan. 25-27, 2019)Yesterday at 08:40 amU90C
REGISTRATION DEADLINE CLOSE - TEXAS WINTER CLASSICYesterday at 08:13 ammusaisaya
PIT+ League Elite Spring Registration now OPENYesterday at 07:11 amNicoleJames
Nike Vogelsinger Soccer Academy/one. Soccer Camps/IMG16/12/18, 11:37 pmHotSpur25
Winter Break Camp hosted by Zach and Casey Loyd16/12/18, 10:50 pmsbarton12
Colleyville Evo 09G Boyle Looking to add 2-4 Players 16/12/18, 04:02 pmCoachBoyle
Panther City FC 2010 Boys - West Fort Worth16/12/18, 10:03 amcoachmbw
Jr Classic League / FC Dallas Central 09G Tallal Lookn for 215/12/18, 08:12 pmFC Dallas Central Div
Looking for Solar Academy Kit14/12/18, 09:19 pmDoubleDown
NPL '01G - Looking for Players14/12/18, 06:50 pmNTX Celtic FC
Log in

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Statistics
We have 12774 registered users
The newest registered user is s_speas

Our users have posted a total of 184230 messages in 24572 subjects

What's the earliest date for a player to commit verbally?

Go down

What's the earliest date for a player to commit verbally?

Post by PowerKick on 13/08/18, 01:47 pm

I heard the new rule is - Sept 1st of Junior year in high school.

Is that still true? I remember read an article somewhere earlier this year, however still heard players committed even before high school.

Anyone help clarify this? Thanks.

PowerKick
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 163
Points : 1650
Join date : 2014-12-08

Back to top Go down

Re: What's the earliest date for a player to commit verbally?

Post by NoSpinZone on 13/08/18, 02:26 pm

PowerKick wrote:I heard the new rule is - Sept 1st of Junior year in high school.

Is that still true? I remember read an article somewhere earlier this year, however still heard players committed even before high school.

Anyone help clarify this? Thanks.

06 have an offer in hand there PK?  Must be all those years with Missing Sense.  Congrats! Rolling Eyes

NoSpinZone
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 350
Points : 2210
Join date : 2013-12-27

Back to top Go down

Re: What's the earliest date for a player to commit verbally?

Post by B_Town on 13/08/18, 02:46 pm

I'm not an expert but the way I understand it is that a player can verbally commit to a college at any time.  Verbal commitments are non-binding until the player actually signs a National Letter of Intent.

The Sept 1 of Junior year in high school is the 'magical' date that a college coach can talk directly to a player.  Before that date, the only way a coach can communicate with a player is at showcase tournaments, college ID camps, etc.

Sources:
http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/future/eligibility-center/what-verbal-commitment
https://www.athleticscholarships.net/2011/12/13/ncaa-rules-contacting-college-coaches.htm

B_Town
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Posts : 36
Points : 1224
Join date : 2015-10-19

Back to top Go down

Re: What's the earliest date for a player to commit verbally?

Post by DeltaTauChi on 13/08/18, 03:44 pm

B_Town wrote:I'm not an expert but the way I understand it is that a player can verbally commit to a college at any time.  Verbal commitments are non-binding until the player actually signs a National Letter of Intent.

The Sept 1 of Junior year in high school is the 'magical' date that a college coach can talk directly to a player.  Before that date, the only way a coach can communicate with a player is at showcase tournaments, college ID camps, etc.

Sources:
http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/future/eligibility-center/what-verbal-commitment
https://www.athleticscholarships.net/2011/12/13/ncaa-rules-contacting-college-coaches.htm

Actually, the new rules that went in place on Aug 1, 2018, significantly restrict NCAA D1 coach/player contact prior to Sept. 1 of a player's Junior year of HS, even more so than what you are saying.  No more recruiting discussions during on campus ID camps before Sept. 1 Junior Year.  No more athletic dept contact during an unofficial visit prior to Sept 1, Junior year.  These were the primary avenues through which coaches would make verbal offers to 8th-9th-10th graders.  Also, I'm pretty sure the D1 rules have always stated no off-campus recruiting contact (this would cover showcases, games, practices, off-campus ID camps) until after July 1 before Junior year.

As I understand it, prior to Sept. 1 Junior year, a player can still call a D1 coach, and if the coach answers the phone, they can talk (unless you are a softball or lacrosse player - then it is still verboten).  It's not clear to me if a D1 coach is prevented from making a verbal offer during such a call under the new rules.  However, I think it would be under very limited circumstances (i.e. your kid is a YNT stud) that a coach would even consider doing this.

So, unless your kid is a YNT stud, the answer is if they didn't already have a verbal offer before Aug 1, 2018, then they likely won't get one until some time after Sept 1 of their Junior year of HS, but I still get the feeling that there are some loopholes that would allow kids to get verbal offers sooner.

By the way, this only applies to NCAA D1 schools.  I do believe that NCAA D2 is still allowing recruiting contact during on-campus ID camps, unofficial visits, and verbal offers prior to Junior year, but it's generally rare that D2's make offers to players before their Junior year.

__________________________________________________
Bluto's right.  Psychotic, but absolutely right.
avatar
DeltaTauChi
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 305
Points : 663
Join date : 2018-01-08

Back to top Go down

Re: What's the earliest date for a player to commit verbally?

Post by B_Town on 13/08/18, 03:48 pm

DeltaTauChi wrote:
Actually, the new rules that went in place on Aug 1, 2018, significantly restrict NCAA D1 coach/player contact prior to Sept. 1 of a player's Junior year of HS, even more so than what you are saying.  No more recruiting discussions during on campus ID camps before Sept. 1 Junior Year.  No more athletic dept contact during an unofficial visit prior to Sept 1, Junior year.  These were the primary avenues through which coaches would make verbal offers to 8th-9th-10th graders.  Also, I'm pretty sure the D1 rules have always stated no off-campus recruiting contact (this would cover showcases, games, practices, off-campus ID camps) until after July 1 before Junior year.

As I understand it, prior to Sept. 1 Junior year, a player can still call a D1 coach, and if the coach answers the phone, they can talk (unless you are a softball or lacrosse player - then it is still verboten).  It's not clear to me if a D1 coach is prevented from making a verbal offer during such a call under the new rules.  However, I think it would be under very limited circumstances (i.e. your kid is a YNT stud) that a coach would even consider doing this.

So, unless your kid is a YNT stud, the answer is if they didn't already have a verbal offer before Aug 1, 2018, then they likely won't get one until some time after Sept 1 of their Junior year of HS, but I still get the feeling that there are some loopholes that would allow kids to get verbal offers sooner.

By the way, this only applies to NCAA D1 schools.  I do believe that NCAA D2 is still allowing recruiting contact during on-campus ID camps, unofficial visits, and verbal offers prior to Junior year, but it's generally rare that D2's make offers to players before their Junior year.

Thanks for the clarification and updated information.

B_Town
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Posts : 36
Points : 1224
Join date : 2015-10-19

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum