North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
>!<JOIN ILLUMINATI IN UGANDA KAMPALA +2767271614024/03/24, 08:49 amyunuko
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 12:00 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

ECNL Moving Forward Pixel
Statistics
We have 15800 registered users
The newest registered user is Yuna

Our users have posted a total of 205174 messages in 31963 subjects

ECNL Moving Forward

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

ECNL Moving Forward Empty ECNL Moving Forward

Post by Brian Griffins BFF 09/02/19, 03:24 pm

With Texans out of ECNL and the rumor strictly from this forum-FC Dallas on its way out, will ECNL fill those spots? I'm assuming they won't sit on their hands and accept the reduced teams for the Texas Conference.
Would I be assuming incorrectly or if they do fill those vacant spots who would be the clubs to fill them? Would they come from the DFW area?

Brian Griffins BFF
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

ECNL Moving Forward Empty Re: ECNL Moving Forward

Post by Guest 09/02/19, 05:05 pm

IMHO, ECNL has already over-expanded a bit too much. Classics Elite has been an o.k. add to the TX Conference, but Sting Austin and OK Celtic have struggled mightily to put competitive teams out there. At this point, the only TX Conference adds that ECNL should consider would be if a GDA Club (FCD, Solar, Texans, Dynamo/Rush, Lonestar, maybe OKE) wants out of DA.

At the end of the day, there's only so many good-to-elite players in NTX, and that player base is not expanding at a rate where any of the non-DA/ECNL clubs in NTX is anywhere close to being able to put together competitive ECNL teams in each age group.

If FCD and/or Solar want to go all-in on GDA vs. ECNL, ECNL should let them go. Keep the conference at 8-9 teams, play a 14-16 game conference schedule and leave it up to the clubs if they want to add another showcase, or non-ECNL tournament in for their girls.

Back to top Go down

Post by BENDMEOVER 09/02/19, 05:48 pm

You think?

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Poo Nani 09/02/19, 07:47 pm

YEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHH BOOOOOOOIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!

Poo Nani
Poo Nani
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by timmyh 09/02/19, 08:23 pm

Brian Griffins BFF wrote:With Texans out of ECNL and the rumor strictly from this forum-FC Dallas on its way out, will ECNL fill those spots?  I'm assuming they won't sit on their hands and accept the reduced teams for the Texas Conference.  
Would I be assuming incorrectly or if they do fill those vacant spots who would be the clubs to fill them?  Would they come from the DFW area?  

I don't think there are any more clubs to add. I suppose Solar or FCD could drop DA for two ECNL teams, but other than that...
Louisiana-no candidates
Oklahoma--can't support three elite DA/ECNL teams, much less four. There isn't a club candidate anyway.
Houston--Rise would say yes (and wouldn't be as bad as Sting Austin or OK Celtic), but Houston can't support 3 elite DA/ECNL teams, much less four.
Southwest Texas--San Antonio can't support another elite team. Neither can Austin. El Paso possibly could, but they are closer to Cali than Dallas.
North Texas-- Liverpool might could have done it, but that ship sailed with the AF defection with the 05s and 03s to Feet. No other club has the depth across all age groups.

Bottom line, there simply isn't a club that makes sense to add. There actually should be some contraction. OK Celtic and Sting Austin are a waste of time because they very likely never will be competitive across most age groups. And traveling to Omaha and Kansas City is also a waste of time because it's stupid to pay to travel 1000 miles to play teams that aren't tangibly different than teams 10 miles away.

Completely beside the point and will never happen, but the truth is that everything would be better if DA/ECNL went away and we all formed a single league with 4 Dallas clubs, 2 OK clubs, 1 Austin club, 1 SA club, and 2 Houston clubs. 10 teams of high level play with fairly limited travel. Play everybody twice. Maybe 12 fall league games, 6 spring league games, and go play 4 or 5 regional national showcases. Alas, will never happen.

timmyh
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by BENDMEOVER 09/02/19, 09:22 pm

The only action that happened this season that was consistent was the rain. The rest is watered down.

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Griffins BFF 10/02/19, 09:21 am

The question that keeps coming back in my mind from this conversation is where did the depth of the west coast and east coast come from?  It feels like the intent here is to keep the elite leagues as "limited" as possible.  But to grow the sport-to be equal to either coast in terms of popularity and talent depth don't you need to continue to allow more opportunities?  If the popularity in Austin, Houston, SA were equal to other girls sports wouldn't we have more talent/competition?  Sting Austin has improved year over year...if they are patient and allow the opportunity to grow Sting A should be fine and so would anyone else in South Texas...Oklahoma-has some serious wood to chop.  Soccer has a loooong way to go up there.  

Going back to ECNL, I'm not sure they can risk keeping the league small...to stay relevant don't they have to assume DA will continue to poach other clubs for both of their leagues?  I think we all agree FDL was created specifically to take down ECNL.  DA is to grab the top talent and FDL is intended to take down any competition-ECNL.  Timmy's right, AF and LP would have been the first logical choice but that seems more unlikely for LP.  So who does that leave from this area?  Would ECNL consider a team by team basis for each age?

Brian Griffins BFF
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 5050Ball 10/02/19, 09:56 am

Brian Griffins BFF wrote:The question that keeps coming back in my mind from this conversation is where did the depth of the west coast and east coast come from?  It feels like the intent here is to keep the elite leagues as "limited" as possible.  But to grow the sport-to be equal to either coast in terms of popularity and talent depth don't you need to continue to allow more opportunities?  If the popularity in Austin, Houston, SA were equal to other girls sports wouldn't we have more talent/competition?  Sting Austin has improved year over year...if they are patient and allow the opportunity to grow Sting A should be fine and so would anyone else in South Texas...Oklahoma-has some serious wood to chop.  Soccer has a loooong way to go up there.  

Going back to ECNL, I'm not sure they can risk keeping the league small...to stay relevant don't they have to assume DA will continue to poach other clubs for both of their leagues?  I think we all agree FDL was created specifically to take down ECNL.  DA is to grab the top talent and FDL is intended to take down any competition-ECNL.  Timmy's right, AF and LP would have been the first logical choice but that seems more unlikely for LP.  So who does that leave from this area?  Would ECNL consider a team by team basis for each age?

Small? They've added any club with a pulse over the past year or so.
5050Ball
5050Ball
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Griffins BFF 10/02/19, 12:03 pm

5050Ball wrote:
Brian Griffins BFF wrote:The question that keeps coming back in my mind from this conversation is where did the depth of the west coast and east coast come from?  It feels like the intent here is to keep the elite leagues as "limited" as possible.  But to grow the sport-to be equal to either coast in terms of popularity and talent depth don't you need to continue to allow more opportunities?  If the popularity in Austin, Houston, SA were equal to other girls sports wouldn't we have more talent/competition?  Sting Austin has improved year over year...if they are patient and allow the opportunity to grow Sting A should be fine and so would anyone else in South Texas...Oklahoma-has some serious wood to chop.  Soccer has a loooong way to go up there.  

Small?  They've added any club with a pulse over the past year or so.

Well, yeah....if you don't think they will lose another club to DA then all is good.  Like DTC said ideally 8-9 but you get less than 8 do you have a conference/league??

Brian Griffins BFF
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/02/19, 01:22 pm

The "E" in ECNL stands for Elite.  At some point, if you keep expanding your membership just for the sake of expansion, you stop adding Elite clubs/teams.

If ECNL wants to drive the Stings/Defeeters/AHFCs/Challeges/TSCs of the world to GDA, then if Solar and FCD leave to be exclusive to GDA, ECNL will replace those clubs with more clubs that are no better, or even worse than Sting A and OK C have been this year.

The engine that has driven the success of ECNL has been the ability to set up quality league matches and showcases that pit a LOT of prospective NCAA D1 level talent against each other, and then bring large amounts of that talent together in one location at the showcases/playoffs, and get the NCAA D1 coaches out to those events in f orce.  If ECNL gets to the point where it starts incrementally adding more non-D1 talent, than D1 talent to the league, they will start losing college coaches, and will start losing players as well.

Correct me if I am wrong, but between Year 1 and Year 2 of GDA, I don't think ECNL has a single club that was ECNL exclusive in Year 1, defect and go to GDA in Year 2.  There were some clubs that were doing both GDA and ECNL in Year 1 of GDA, and I believe about an equal amount of those clubs ended up becoming only either GDA only, or ECNL only in Year 2.  On top of that, I believe there were 1 or 2 clubs that were GDA only in Year 1, that switched back to ECNL in year 2.

So the net movement of existing GDA/ECNL clubs between the leagues from Year 1 to Year 2 was about equal.  My guess is that you will see similar type net neutral movement this year as well.

By the way, everything above that I said about ECNL, also applies directly to GDA.  If GDA keeps expanding for the sake of expanding, and adds clubs that aren't competitive, the result will be GDA driving clubs back to ECNL.

Back to top Go down

Post by 5050Ball 10/02/19, 02:48 pm

DA started with far too many clubs - an obvious shot across the ECNL bow. Some of those clubs had no history, in fact, were basically created to take the DA spot in a given market.

ECNL's response was to hand 2 spots per age group to those dual clubs who would drop DA for ECNL-only. Then fill in the holes with clubs without any history of competing at the National level.

In turn, DA fills their holes with more clubs without any history of competing at the National level.

So, to replace Michigan Hawks, Indiana Fire, Eclipse Select, FC Stars, PDA and LAFC Slammers, DA picks up the likes of Michigan Jaguars, Cleveland Impact, OK Energy, Sporting Omaha, Arlington SA and SJEB Rush.

On the ECNL front, San Diego Surf, Sereno, Dallas Texans and OC Surf (formerly West Coast FC) dropped ECNL to go DA only. ECNL responded by adding KC Athletics (who were dropped by DA) and the likes of OK Celtic, Wilmington Hammerheads, Pac Northwest and created a new club (previously a DA tactic) in Florida.

Bottom line is NEITHER league needs any more clubs. In fact, they both should contract to enhance quality. But that would not be in the best interests ($$$) of either organization.

Teams in Dallas are "forbidden" to play other quality Dallas teams in lieu of driving 200 miles to play teams of lesser quality. Totally absurd.
5050Ball
5050Ball
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Foxysoccermom 10/02/19, 03:16 pm

Very good points. Whatcha think bige?
Foxysoccermom
Foxysoccermom
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Checkpoint Charlie 10/02/19, 04:24 pm

DeltaTauChi wrote:The "E" in ECNL stands for Elite.  At some point, if you keep expanding your membership just for the sake of expansion, you stop adding Elite clubs/teams.

If ECNL wants to drive the Stings/Defeeters/AHFCs/Challeges/TSCs of the world to GDA, then if Solar and FCD leave to be exclusive to GDA, ECNL will replace those clubs with more clubs that are no better, or even worse than Sting A and OK C have been this year.

The engine that has driven the success of ECNL has been the ability to set up quality league matches and showcases that pit a LOT of prospective NCAA D1 level talent against each other, and then bring large amounts of that talent together in one location at the showcases/playoffs, and get the NCAA D1 coaches out to those events in f orce.  If ECNL gets to the point where it starts incrementally adding more non-D1 talent, than D1 talent to the league, they will start losing college coaches, and will start losing players as well.

Correct me if I am wrong, but between Year 1 and Year 2 of GDA, I don't think ECNL has a single club that was ECNL exclusive in Year 1, defect and go to GDA in Year 2.  There were some clubs that were doing both GDA and ECNL in Year 1 of GDA, and I believe about an equal amount of those clubs ended up becoming only either GDA only, or ECNL only in Year 2.  On top of that, I believe there were 1 or 2 clubs that were GDA only in Year 1, that switched back to ECNL in year 2.

So the net movement of existing GDA/ECNL clubs between the leagues from Year 1 to Year 2 was about equal.  My guess is that you will see similar type net neutral movement this year as well.

By the way, everything above that I said about ECNL, also applies directly to GDA.  If GDA keeps expanding for the sake of expanding, and adds clubs that aren't competitive, the result will be GDA driving clubs back to ECNL.

#MAGA
Checkpoint Charlie
Checkpoint Charlie
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ern 10/02/19, 08:50 pm

Foxysoccermom wrote:Very good points. Whatcha think bige?

Thanks for the nod foxer --

Fantastic thread and I agree wholeheartedly with the majority of it.  The only bump in the road was BFF's, "I think we all agree FDL was created specifically to take down ECNL.".  It's not really BFF's fault as it is a common misconception to many of those on the outside, even though it has been discussed many times on this forum (but per usual, casually ignored by the average, small minded troll).  The FPDL was neither created by the USSDA, nor is it intended to "take down" the ECNL.  It is a regional arm of the USYS National League program that is aligned with clubs in OK, NTX and STX that have GDA programs.  They are two entirely different entities that are neither governed by, nor operated in conjunction of one another.  I doubt that there were (or are) any folks over at the offices of USSDA or USYS that had any intent, or belief for that matter, that they would "take down" the ECNL.

The way I (and most other smart people that I've spoken with about it) see it ... The only path the GDA can take to become the clear #1 is to address both the HS and substitution issues.

Big Ern
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Foxysoccermom 10/02/19, 09:28 pm

I think I got it big easy. What you're sayin is the big boss like don corleone is staying out of the fdl shakedown. He's letting the local capos run this racket.

And why do you keep sticking a P in the middle of FDL? Might wanna check your keyboard and see if it's stickin.
Foxysoccermom
Foxysoccermom
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by timmyh 10/02/19, 10:53 pm

Is there anybody who likes FDL or ECRL or FPDL better than the Texas Champions League?
It didn't last long, but it was better than this split.

timmyh
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Griffins BFF 11/02/19, 09:16 am

Big Ern wrote:

Fantastic thread and I agree wholeheartedly with the majority of it.  The only bump in the road was BFF's, "I think we all agree FDL was created specifically to take down ECNL.".  It's not really BFF's fault as it is a common misconception to many of those on the outside, even though it has been discussed many times on this forum (but per usual, casually ignored by the average, small minded troll).  The FPDL was neither created by the USSDA, nor is it intended to "take down" the ECNL.  It is a regional arm of the USYS National League program that is aligned with clubs in OK, NTX and STX that have GDA programs.  They are two entirely different entities that are neither governed by, nor operated in conjunction of one another.  I doubt that there were (or are) any folks over at the offices of USSDA or USYS that had any intent, or belief for that matter, that they would "take down" the ECNL.

The way I (and most other smart people that I've spoken with about it) see it ... The only path the GDA can take to become the clear #1 is to address both the HS and substitution issues.

Big E, I truly wish the motivations behind the last few years was strictly for the good of soccer, its players and to grow the sport. As you are doing its easy to connect the dots-that's how it was intended, to validate the new league...otherwise the true motivator is revealed-$$$.
If you believe the Public Service Announcement that you just dropped then you probably think the Texas Rangers are building a new stadium because they genuinely care about people sitting in the heat. I'm sure it has nothing to do with increasing the value of the franchise-at tax payer expense so they can turn around and sell the team for millions more...

The motivations behind it don't really matter, lets just not put a dress on that pig and call it something else...this is a forum, its way more fun to talk about the truth instead of a PSA

FDL was created for that purpose...remove competition + greater control=more money aka pig in a dress

Brian Griffins BFF
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ern 11/02/19, 10:03 am

Sooo ... By that ^ rationale, BFF, you're implying that the folks at USYS met with the folks at USSDA and conspired to abolish the nationwide, ~100 club strong ECNL by forming a league made up of 6 clubs in two states?

Conspiracy theorists are such fun ... Don'tcha think Bdub?

Texas Rangers?  Franchise value?   Laughing

Big Ern
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Griffins BFF 11/02/19, 10:32 am

Big Ern wrote:Sooo ... By that ^ rationale, BFF, you're implying that the folks at USYS met with the folks at USSDA and conspired to abolish the nationwide, ~100 club strong ECNL by forming a league made up of 6 clubs in two states?

Conspiracy theorists are such fun ... Don'tcha think Bdub?

Texas Rangers?  Franchise value?   Laughing

Absolutely, 100% and talked with about 20 different clubs as well....no one in any sport ever in the history of sports or the universe starts a league without teams to fill it or a plan to move forward...

Maybe the Rangers are a bad example so here's a relevant one...Power 5 college athletics...how many more years do you think it takes for them to leave the NCAA? Behind the scenes its already in the works. A whole lotta money out there that isn't going exclusively to the P5...just a matter of time
they have the teams (clubs), they have the conferences (Regionals), the only thing left is the oversight....tick tock. The don't NEED to do it but why split all that dough with someone else who dictates the terms? Sound familiar?

Brian Griffins BFF
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by AtThePitch 11/02/19, 10:34 am

Big Ern wrote:

I wasnt going to, but what the hell....

Ill go ahead and add to the issues they need to worry about, and rank them.

1. MLS pulling their boys clubs from DA and going forward with their own league... its been all over national soccer media for months now, and yes that will impact the girls side of things.

2. Losing more bigs that are not MLS (see above, will increase the hurt), Tophat as an example is the next Big to announce they are going all in on ECNL. You keep losing the bigs, and MLS and then what does it become

3. High School soccer/any non DA related soccer is not permitted - lots of folks are finding this to be an issue. My ECNL player trains as much as a DA kid, but has the option to modify her schedule as she sees fit. She can also and has been able to get in extra matches and guest play. As an example she has been asked and will be guest playing with an east coast DA club team at the upcoming jefferson cup. that would not be happening if she was tied down by DA.

4. substitution rules - i had an issue with this initially, but im more along the lines of hey, nothing in life is guaranteed, and even if you change the rules there is no guarantee a kid will play anyways.

AtThePitch
AtThePitch
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ern 11/02/19, 11:36 am

AtThePitch wrote:
Big Ern wrote:

I wasnt going to, but what the hell....

Ill go ahead and add to the issues they need to worry about, and rank them.

1.  MLS pulling their boys clubs from DA and going forward with their own league... its been all over national soccer media for months now, and yes that will impact the girls side of things.  

2.  Losing more bigs that are not MLS (see above, will increase the hurt), Tophat as an example is the next Big to announce they are going all in on ECNL.  You keep losing the bigs, and MLS and then what does it become

3.  High School soccer/any non DA related soccer is not permitted -  lots of folks are finding this to be an issue.  My ECNL player trains as much as a DA kid, but has the option to modify her schedule as she sees fit.  She can also and has been able to get in extra matches and guest play. As an example she has been asked and will be guest playing with an east coast DA club team at the upcoming jefferson cup.  that would not be happening if she was tied down by DA.

4.  substitution rules -  i had an issue with this initially, but im more along the lines of hey, nothing in life is guaranteed, and even if you change the rules there is no guarantee a kid will play anyways.  

Per usual ... a very smart post from ATP --

1) Hadn't heard about the MLS clubs pulling away from USSDA.  Very interesting and agreed ... would certainly affect the GDA.

2) Heard about Tophat but that was early last summer.  Do you still think they're going ECNL all in?

3) I'm envious of your sitch with your ECNL kid ... We'd likely do the same if Sting or Feeters trained closer to home, and could get the core of my kid's team to join --

4) Couldn't agree more regarding sub rules --

Thanks for sharing Sir!

Big Ern
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 918soccer 12/02/19, 11:49 pm

5050Ball wrote:DA started with far too many clubs - an obvious shot across the ECNL bow.  Some of those clubs had no history, in fact, were basically created to take the DA spot in a given market.

ECNL's response was to hand 2 spots per age group to those dual clubs who would drop DA for ECNL-only. Then fill in the holes with clubs without any history of competing at the National level.

In turn, DA fills their holes with more clubs without any history of competing at the National level.  

So, to replace Michigan Hawks, Indiana Fire, Eclipse Select, FC Stars, PDA and LAFC Slammers, DA picks up the likes of Michigan Jaguars, Cleveland Impact, OK Energy, Sporting Omaha, Arlington SA and SJEB Rush.

On the ECNL front, San Diego Surf, Sereno, Dallas Texans and OC Surf (formerly West Coast FC)  dropped ECNL to go DA only.  ECNL responded by adding KC Athletics (who were dropped by DA) and the likes of OK Celtic, Wilmington Hammerheads, Pac Northwest and created a new club (previously a DA tactic) in Florida.

Bottom line is NEITHER league needs any more clubs.  In fact, they both should contract to enhance quality.  But that would not be in the best interests ($$$) of either organization.  

Teams in Dallas are "forbidden" to play other quality Dallas teams in lieu of driving 200 miles to play teams of lesser quality.  Totally absurd.

Agree with your post but I believe there were 11 clubs that moved from GDA to ECNL after season 1 - Slammers, Hawks, Eclipse, Concord Fire, Indiana Fire, PDA, VDA, Orlando City, FC Stars, FCKC and Burlingame. This migration strengthened ECNL quite a bit, weakened GDA equally and made ECNL the top league in several regions. NTX and S Cal are the two exceptions but if the exodus continues after season 2 as the chatter at a few top GDA clubs might indicate, do Frontier Conference clubs stick it out with GDA or might there be defection?

918soccer
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by timmyh 13/02/19, 01:06 am

GDA's dominance in Texas/Frontier primarily relies on Solar and FCD's participation in it (and to a lesser extent, Lonestar). If you remove those two (and ignore OK Celtic and Sting Austin, who dont really belong in any "elite" league), ECNL and GDA are pretty equivalent in these parts. If FCD and Solar leave GDA, the league will be on life support.

But why would they leave to go play in a watered down ECNL and travel around to beat up on the two weaker Oklahoma clubs or the two other Houston clubs that don't provide much competition, or the two weaker central Texas clubs? That doesn't make sense. Now that ecnl expanded, it is much less attractive of a league for the truly elite programs.

If I were made the boss of soccer around these parts, I think one way to solve that would be to create a ecnl league with all the teams (3 Houston, 3 Centex, 3 Oklahoma, 7 Dallas... FCD and Solar get two teams). 16 total teams and make two 8 team conferences per age group with promotion and relegation for the top 2 and bottom two teams each year. Play everybody in your 8 team conference twice in the fall and once in the spring. No flights for league games. Everyone else play Lake Highlands, NPL, etc. Maybe you could talk me into a ERCL/FDL for 2nd teams, but I doubt it. 16 elite teams for Texas and Oklahoma (7 in NTX) just about covers all the kids who need to be traveling every weekend to find competitive games.

Take a break for high school. Some players don't want to play high school and would rather stick with club for those months? So set up a mini league for those players during the high school season. Combine those girls who don't want to play HS from the league onto regional teams (combine age groups or combine players from different clubs together, if needed) and run joint sessions for them, play friendlies, and maybe even go play a tourney or two.

Wouldn't that be better than what we have now?

timmyh
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ern 13/02/19, 07:53 am

No doubt timmy -- I I love you  this ^

But where would that leave the uber elite Denver market that are a part of Frontier?  Methinks that US Soccer/US Club/USYS tend to think a bit more "big picture" when making decisions like these.

Big Ern
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by timmyh 13/02/19, 08:29 am

Big Ern wrote:No doubt timmy -- I I love you  this ^

But where would that leave the uber elite Denver market that are a part of Frontier?  Methinks that US Soccer/US Club/USYS tend to think a bit more "big picture" when making decisions like these.

Forget them. Let them join a Cali conference. The Texas Clubs add more value by playing them than vice versa (same with KC and Omaha). Why should I pay to go to Colorado to help them develop their players?  Would be a much better use of my travel dollars if we replaced those two trips with an extra showcase or two. If those teams want to come here to play that would be perfectly fine. We will find fields and refs give them all the friendly games they want.
That's why I don't think the above can be accomplished via DA, who will try and make decisions based on what is best for the federation and the country. ECNL is easily influenced by politics and clubs. The teams could go to ECNL with the above plan and ECNL almost certainly would say ok. The same proposition to US Soccer would get laughed at.

timmyh
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next