Latest topics
Sting AustinToday at 08:07 amKeeperCommander
U.S. U20 MNT heads to Slovenia for games vs Croatia and UAEToday at 12:21 amMajorTom
07 DA 2019Yesterday at 06:09 pmcenTex
Renegades 2010G North - Blanton Yesterday at 09:00 amtareyncarol
U17 MNT heads to 4 nations tournament in Netherlands13/09/19, 09:23 pmMajorTom
Classic League Div 1 Week 2 Predictions13/09/19, 05:43 pmSoccerToneloc
Junior Lake Highlands13/09/19, 02:12 pmFOURGS
ODP 2019 Closed for Comments Due to Same Generic Useless Info and Trolls13/09/19, 11:57 amBENDMEOVER
National Rankings13/09/19, 11:47 amTXyankee
Game Day 04 CLASSIC LEAGUE 2018-1913/09/19, 09:22 amGameday 04 New
LHGCL Div 1 team looking for a 03/02 Keeper12/09/19, 09:14 pmPRsoccer03
Solar 08B Vargas- D1 Looking for 2 Players12/09/19, 08:10 pmSolar SC- Vargas
09 LAKE HIGHLANDS12/09/19, 04:30 pmbigballer07
GOLME portable goal12/09/19, 01:05 pmBig Ern
Manchester SC 07G Open Sessions12/09/19, 10:27 ammansc07g
FREE TRAINING SESSION FOR 2011 GIRLS - FRIDAY, SEP 1311/09/19, 03:20 pmmusaisaya
FREE TRAINING SESSION FOR 2010 GIRLS - FRIDAY, SEP 1311/09/19, 03:18 pmmusaisaya
Real Dallas 2013/2012 Looking for 2 players11/09/19, 03:17 pmRealDallasSC
Dirty Teams11/09/19, 12:42 pmsoccerdad72
American Academy of Soccer Open Sessions 11/09/19, 12:30 pmVonvino1
American Academy of Soccer Open Sessions 11/09/19, 11:49 amVonvino1
American Academy of Soccer Open Sessions 11/09/19, 11:48 amVonvino1
Renegades North 09G Navy - Blanton 11/09/19, 08:45 amtareyncarol

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

03B Classic League - Page 3 Pixel
Statistics
We have 13582 registered users
The newest registered user is Kedrick

Our users have posted a total of 194186 messages in 27263 subjects

03B Classic League

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

03B Classic League - Page 3 Empty Re: 03B Classic League

Post by Soccer27 on 26/08/19, 03:45 pm

I was shocked this weekend also with the goal differential in the Deleon game. Their offense is always a hit or miss. They scored big the first game, couldn’t score against Che and scored bit on Falls Town. They always have had trouble scoring when they need to.

FC premier with another tie. That was a shocker to me also. I had placed them in the top 2 teams. They have a good team with a lot of players who can score.

Solar Donnely putting up 6. It showed that they have a lot of scorers as not one goal was by the same player. Once Solar Donnely tighten up their defense you can expect more wins to come their way.

Soccer27
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ant_Knee on 26/08/19, 03:47 pm

winkipop77 wrote:Not sure why any top teams would play in the PLD this weekend.  Whats really to gain at this age except bragging rights that you played and potentially beat a field of that did not consist of the top teams in NTX?  I only see 2 D1 teams on the accepted teams list, and I think 4 D2 teams.  Is this correct?  Still will be interesting to see if DeLeon wins it (as they should) and represents NTX well.  Borg would be a long shot, either Real GP or Titan Meredith having equal chance. Thoughts?

This looks to be a VERY competitive tournament for this age group.

Are you familiar with the USYS Southern Regional Championship teams and the Frontier League teams?  This tournament looks like a mini USYS regional tournament.  Considering most of the areas outside of TX don't have DA, these could be considered their top teams.

Southern Regional Championship teams:
Mandeville Lakers
Baton Rouge SC Black
OK Energy Central (Frontier League)
Solar DeLeon (Frontier League)

Frontier League teams:
OK Energy East
Paso Del Norte

I'm sure there are other teams that will bring their "A" game to the tournament.  Houston Dynamo YSC met DeLeon in the Ken Smith final this year and only lost 1-0.  Solar entered their u17 ECNL team which is Solar's 04 DA boys this year.  Should be a good tournament for this age.

Ant_Knee
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by winkipop77 on 26/08/19, 04:43 pm

Again, only limited amount of top teams from NTX. and no FCD Premier, FC Premier or bulk of other top D1/D2 teams. Might be relatively competitive for the teams that do compete, but what do those teams really gain? Will their juniors be recruited by top college coaches from around the country? I never thought of PLD as a showcase opportunity considering most college coaches are "in season" with their own teams. Qualification for a top 10 Tournament or future College Showcase? I guess a good showing could help the team's resume, but no automatic qualification, and always the chance of a rain-out. Although PLD might be a big tournament in Texas, it does not even rank top 50 nationally, with even Dallas Cup qualifiers ranking higher. At U17 I think many coaches have figured out that since their teams can only do so many tournaments/showcases per year due to time and money constraints, PLD is one they've elected to "pass" on.

Hopefully the teams from CL that are in it will represent NTX well.

https://home.gotsoccer.com/rankings/eventresults.aspx?gender=Boys

winkipop77
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ant_Knee on 26/08/19, 05:23 pm

I can understand your point now. I thought you were focusing on the level of competition as to why they would or wouldn't participate in this tournament. Yes definitely not a showcase tournament. If anything, it could be used as a tune up tournament for some after they've seen their first couple of games and nothing more than enjoying a little soccer over Labor day.

Ant_Knee
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Longview on 26/08/19, 07:17 pm

winkipop77 wrote:Competitive only because I sense the talent in D1 is "watered down", and perhaps more evenly distributed.  Is this possible?  It appears there may only be 2 teams, instead of 3 or 4 that are a cut above everybody else in CL (top D2 and D3 teams included) as I originally thought.  

I too was surprised to see such a spread in the DeLeon/Falls Town match.  FC Premier appears to not be as strong this year, at least not on paper, is this true? Also, it appears Athletico, as predicted, is going to have a rough time, as perhaps is the only remaining DT team left in U17 D1.  What are the chances of a "Texans Free" U18 D1 next year?

Not sure why any top teams would play in the PLD this weekend.  Whats really to gain at this age except bragging rights that you played and potentially beat a field of that did not consist of the top teams in NTX?  I only see 2 D1 teams on the accepted teams list, and I think 4 D2 teams.  Is this correct?  Still will be interesting to see if DeLeon wins it (as they should) and represents NTX well.  Borg would be a long shot, either Real GP or Titan Meredith having equal chance. Thoughts?

I wouldn’t say watered down, I’d say deep pool that has been playing each other forever and size/speed/athleticism has evened out, so hard to expect consistent runaway performances anymore. To misquote Rasheed Wallace, by the end of the season “Table Don’t Lie” but we’ll see teams go through peaks and valleys on the way.

Re: PLD, DeLeon and Solar ECNL would seem to be the local favorites (with all respect leaving Borgarello off since they won last year but don’t see another title run this year, and leaving Texans out of favorites discussion altogether).  Hopefully we see local teams perform well and send the out of towners back to the hinterlands, regaling the North TX talent in song and story.

Longview
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ant_Knee on 26/08/19, 08:56 pm

Looks like Paso Del Norte did not get any love from the PLD committee as they were sent to Silver A. Also, the OK Energy Central team is NOT the National League team, it's the Central Green team.

OK Energy East is known to bring additional players not on their core team to tournaments so I expect them to make it out of their group along with Deleon, Mandeville, Solar ECNL, Baton Rouge, and Dynamo YSC. Not sure who the other 2 might be to make up the quarterfinal match ups but those would be my picks.

Ant_Knee
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Longview on 02/09/19, 06:44 pm

Congrats to Solar DeLeon for the victory in the PLD over their ECNL clubmates. Local teams took 5 of 8 QF spots, with all 3 D1 teams advancing.

On to the MatchDay 4 Longview Probably-Wrong View:

FC Premier E'too (Opoku)   3-0   Dallas Texans (Stavrou)
Decent showing in the PLD from the Texans, but two things coming together against them this week -- #1, a frustrated and angry FCP ready to get going, and #2, an opponent whose style negates the Texans' physical play. FCP gets their first win of the season with style.

FCD Premier (Oancea)   2-1   FCD Borgarello
I think this will be further validation that Borgarello may be better this year than anyone thought. FCDP gets the breakthrough but this one hangs in the balance until the final whistle.

FCD West (Che)   3-2   Solar Donnelly
Yes, another crooked-number line score for Donnelly.  Che welcomes the ability to get some goals, but gives them up as well in a tight one.

Solar DeLeon   4-1   Athletico FW (Gonzalez)
DeLeon keeps rolling after their tournament success, while Athletico continue to pull too many balls out of the onion bag.  

FCD Central (Waters)   1-1   Falls Town (Smith)
My upset pick of the week -- Falls Town will be fine, but they have a hiccup here in a game they should win.  Waters gets the game plan right and picks up a point.

There you go - one person's roll of the dice. I don't call it the Longview Probably-Wrong View for nothing...

No injuries, good weather, and competent/engaged referees for all!

Longview
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by winkipop77 on 02/09/19, 11:03 pm

Re: PLD, some questions for anyone that watched any of the games. First, what , if anything was learned? De Leon won as expected, so can we conclude that since they do not appear to be head and shoulders above other top D1 teams so far this year, that any number of teams may have fared equally as well had they chosen to participate? Can we expect NTX teams to be stronger or weaker this year versus past years when compared to other teams across the nation? Was more expected from the ECNL team? How did the Titans look? Did they fare better than expected, (a draw with De Leon in the preliminary) or was the competition not that strong? What was the level of play in general for all U17 teams in the Gold who advanced? How would these same teams fare in the Dallas Cup?against national and international competition?

winkipop77
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccer27 on 03/09/19, 12:21 pm

A lot of questions and unknown. What if... it was expected that Deleon would win the tournament. If they didn’t then it would had thrown more questions. What is true they continue to be offensively inconsistent. They go in waves and continue to struggle (for years) scoring when needed. Their offense doesn’t match up to other teams. Their defense is far and beyond the best in D1 the past two years. It was a surprise that they struggled scoring against a D3 team then tied a D2 team. They only team that has been consistent in both offense and defense is FCD Premier. Other than that I think any D1 team can loose any day to any other team.

winkipop77 wrote:Re: PLD, some questions for anyone that watched any of the games. First, what , if anything was learned? De Leon won as expected, so can we conclude that since they do not appear to be head and shoulders above other top D1 teams so far this year, that any number of teams may have fared equally as well had they chosen to participate? Can we expect NTX teams to be stronger or weaker this year versus past years when compared to other teams across the nation? Was more expected from the ECNL team? How did the Titans look? Did they fare better than expected, (a draw with De Leon in the preliminary) or was the competition not that strong? What was the level of play in general for all U17 teams in the Gold who advanced? How would these same teams fare in the Dallas Cup?against national and international competition?

Soccer27
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by sprint on 05/09/19, 01:44 pm

[

don't think anything can be taken away from the start of the season (including PLD) other than any team in D1 could beat any other team in D1 at any time, including the top teams.  The PLD was a war of attrition and playing 6 games in 3 days in over 100 degree heat is tough for anyone.  Winning is as much about mental fortitude as soccer ability.  

I expect it to shake out as the season goes on but don't sleep on Solar Donnelly.  They are my dark horse to finish up near the top.

sprint
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Longview on 09/09/19, 12:36 pm

No real surprises this past week as FCP and DeLeon took care of business as expected.  I understand that the Che/Donnelly score was a late-game pile-on after Donnelly went to 10 men.  I heard Borgarello gave FCDP a tough game, with FCDP pulling away in the last 20 minutes or so.  And Falls Town avoided the Longview upset prediction, slotting a handful past FCD Central.

On to the MatchDay 5 Longview Probably-Wrong View:

FCD Central (Waters)   1-3   FC Premier E'too (Opoku)
No rest for the FCD Central weary -- another tough one that probably doesn't go their way.  FCP will be looking to start a win streak, and they'll get it despite a tough match.

FCD Borgarello   0-2   Solar DeLeon
The Borg boys couldn't slow down the FCDP attack, but DeLeon's attack has run a little hot and cold -- which one shows up this week?  Borgarello keeps the score down but DeLeon gets the win.

Falls Town (Smith)   1-3   FCD Premier (Oancea)
This one stays close for a while but the superior FCDP depth wears down the gentlemen from Wichita Falls.  

Solar Donnelly   3-3    Dallas Texans (Stavrou)
Donnelly gets back to their scoring ways but this is my upset pick for the week -- the FCD West blowout hangover/red card suspension coupled with a Texans team that smells the possibility of a point results in a sister kisser.  

FCD West (Che)   3-2   Athletico FW (Gonzalez)
The 2pm start contributes to a back and forth match with several momentum swings, but the Che boys do just enough to take the 3 points.

There you go - one person's roll of the dice. I don't call it the Longview Probably-Wrong View for nothing...

No injuries, good weather, and competent/engaged referees for all!

Last edited by Longview on 09/09/19, 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixing a typo - my OCD couldn’t handle it)

Longview
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum