North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
>!<JOIN ILLUMINATI IN UGANDA KAMPALA +2767271614024/03/24, 08:49 amyunuko
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 12:00 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Repercussions of missing a high school game for league play - Page 2 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15800 registered users
The newest registered user is Yuna

Our users have posted a total of 205174 messages in 31963 subjects

Repercussions of missing a high school game for league play

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Repercussions of missing a high school game for league play - Page 2 Empty Re: Repercussions of missing a high school game for league play

Post by Guest 22/03/11, 09:53 am

pitchworm wrote:yes, that is what has been decided............goodbye HS soccer.

PLEASE...PLEASE.....Make sure she wears her club gear for the next few days after dropping HS soccer.....a disney trophy wouldn't hurt either.

Can they be mounted on the front of a car easily? Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Repercussions of missing a high school game for league play - Page 2 Empty Re: Repercussions of missing a high school game for league play

Post by Guest 22/03/11, 09:54 am

DoubleDD wrote:
yearbook wrote:
DoubleDD wrote:
pitchworm wrote:My DD missed a high school game for league play. The "ego coach" is requiring her to run 3- 2 miles sets in less than 16 minutes and do 45-100 yard sprints. This needs to be done in one weeks time.

Has anyone else had to deal with such.

My 2 cents....giggle.....Being that you play on 2 teams, you of course have had the discussion with your DD about responsibilities and keeping up with commitments for both teams, but this is a prime opportunity for you to show your DD that sometimes, it's best to drop from being on a team than to continue trying your best to be on both.
I would explain to her that the HS coach is being unreasonable, and is not really considering her overall well being. If the HS coach was aware of the situation that your DD was in when she started playing high school soccer, then he can't be complaining or pushing hard punishment about her missing a game.
I make sure my DD's coaches are fully aware of everything that is going on with both her teams. Yes this is just academy, but it applies at the older age level as well.
If her coach knew her situation coming in and you properly notified them of the potential for conflict here and there, then he needs to just accept it and move past it. Having her run miles on end and potentially increasing her risk of injury because of his hurt ego, it just shows her that this is not where she needs to be.
It'd be hard, but if this is the treatment your DD will look forward to for a missed game, then I'd have her drop high school soccer and for the next few weeks, she'd be wearing her club gear, medals around her neck, and her disney trophies in her bag each day so he can see what he missed out on.

Good luck!

See DD when you type things like "my 2 cents...giggle" it's hard to believe it when you say your guy. No Laughing

If you ever read a post of mine and I use the term "giggle" in it, it's usually because I am making light of the fact that I am using terms/phrases which are vastly overused on this forum when people are trying to be serious. I guess I am just drinking the kool-aid....giggle....IMHO...giggle.

For those truly intrigued to know my grex, please understand I would post a panoramic shot of it for you but I am quite certain that Senor Admin would frown heavily upon it.

It's hard to miss your posts. They are everywhere...giggle, chuckle, hair flip, wink.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22/03/11, 09:59 am

yearbook wrote:
DoubleDD wrote:
yearbook wrote:
DoubleDD wrote:
pitchworm wrote:My DD missed a high school game for league play. The "ego coach" is requiring her to run 3- 2 miles sets in less than 16 minutes and do 45-100 yard sprints. This needs to be done in one weeks time.

Has anyone else had to deal with such.

My 2 cents....giggle.....Being that you play on 2 teams, you of course have had the discussion with your DD about responsibilities and keeping up with commitments for both teams, but this is a prime opportunity for you to show your DD that sometimes, it's best to drop from being on a team than to continue trying your best to be on both.
I would explain to her that the HS coach is being unreasonable, and is not really considering her overall well being. If the HS coach was aware of the situation that your DD was in when she started playing high school soccer, then he can't be complaining or pushing hard punishment about her missing a game.
I make sure my DD's coaches are fully aware of everything that is going on with both her teams. Yes this is just academy, but it applies at the older age level as well.
If her coach knew her situation coming in and you properly notified them of the potential for conflict here and there, then he needs to just accept it and move past it. Having her run miles on end and potentially increasing her risk of injury because of his hurt ego, it just shows her that this is not where she needs to be.
It'd be hard, but if this is the treatment your DD will look forward to for a missed game, then I'd have her drop high school soccer and for the next few weeks, she'd be wearing her club gear, medals around her neck, and her disney trophies in her bag each day so he can see what he missed out on.

Good luck!

See DD when you type things like "my 2 cents...giggle" it's hard to believe it when you say your guy. No Laughing

If you ever read a post of mine and I use the term "giggle" in it, it's usually because I am making light of the fact that I am using terms/phrases which are vastly overused on this forum when people are trying to be serious. I guess I am just drinking the kool-aid....giggle....IMHO...giggle.

For those truly intrigued to know my grex, please understand I would post a panoramic shot of it for you but I am quite certain that Senor Admin would frown heavily upon it.

It's hard to miss your posts. They are everywhere...giggle, chuckle, hair flip, wink.

I hope they have provided you with much soccer value.......giggle. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by shootfire 22/03/11, 10:06 am

pitchworm wrote:That is not the case, coach did not make guidelines, other girls have missed but only been required to run 2 miles. I am a firm believer in making kids accountable but right is right and right and wrong is wrong. Yes then I think that would be a differnt story.Coach sounds to be on power trip
shootfire
shootfire
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by BallBuster 22/03/11, 10:16 am

High School coaches can get away with just about anything. If the classroom teachers did half of the things that the coaches do, they would be fired on the spot. There are some really good coaches out there and some really, really bad coaches out there. As a parent, you have to protect your kids from the jackass coaches.
I think it is ridiculous for a girl to be cut from her soccer team or severely punished due to missing one practice (especially when she is a good kid making good grades). A lot of football players will join their basketball team after football season, which sometimes means that they will miss a lot of their teams basketball games at the start of the season, yet they are welcomed with open arms. I have also seen star athletes at other sports get away with murder and never be punished. If a school is going to be that strict with their athletes, they need to do it across the board with all of their teams and not just punish the poor girl that is trying to play club soccer.
BallBuster
BallBuster
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22/03/11, 10:29 am

BallBuster wrote:High School coaches can get away with just about anything. If the classroom teachers did half of the things that the coaches do, they would be fired on the spot. There are some really good coaches out there and some really, really bad coaches out there. As a parent, you have to protect your kids from the jackass coaches.
I think it is ridiculous for a girl to be cut from her soccer team or severely punished due to missing one practice (especially when she is a good kid making good grades). A lot of football players will join their basketball team after football season, which sometimes means that they will miss a lot of their teams basketball games at the start of the season, yet they are welcomed with open arms. I have also seen star athletes at other sports get away with murder and never be punished. If a school is going to be that strict with their athletes, they need to do it across the board with all of their teams and not just punish the poor girl that is trying to play club soccer.

It is the same at every level and age group. Our club coach has benched a starting MF for missing practice for a mandatory school function but not the Center defender who chose to miss the first half of a club game for her rec basketball game.

Back to top Go down

Post by golgolgol 22/03/11, 10:36 am

we got lucky, HS coach understands Club is what got her where she's at, and he benefits from all the club players on the team. It's not like he was there when she was 10 teaching her everything.

DD missed a game due to club, so next HS game, instead of starting, she sat the bench for the first half. Went in at halftime and all was good after that.

golgolgol
golgolgol
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by twotouch 22/03/11, 11:55 am

A couple of observations....

First, the HS coach didn't create this punishment for your daughter--he did it for the rest of the team. Not sure if he was trying to show that missing practice has consequences or trying to show that he is tough and in control or trying to show something else.

Second, your daughter is more likely to be injured at the end of a long club season while simultaneously doing high school practices, club practices and the additional "conditioning." Doing the running is not in her best interest, healthwise.

Third, the coach either thinks he has leverage in this situation or is willing to risk your daughter quitting. That won't change if she accepts the punishment but may change if she is willing to walk away. Not sure if he coaches other sports, but in most sports the coach often has that kind of leverage. My son played basketball for a truly awful coach at a very reputable high school who regularly lied, cheated (he was caught by the UIL) and favored the children of his friends and benefactors. As long as college basketball recruiting is heavily influenced by high school play, he has leverage over the kids and, as long as the athletic director is unwilling to do what it takes to get rid of him, he's almost untouchable.

My $.02
twotouch
twotouch
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamethrower 22/03/11, 09:49 pm

ALL HIGH SCHOOL COACHES HAVE TO UNDERSTAND - Their program is only as good as it is because of club players, or as bad as it is because of the lack of club players.. They try their best to make themselves believe that is not the case. High school soccer lives or dies because of or lack of club soccer. Period. So when you have this happen again, let the coach know this.. He is a English teacher pretending to be a soccer coach. I dont want to generalize all of them in that catagory, because there are good solid pro coaches that coach high school. They are the ones that understand these situatuions.

Flamethrower
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by MaggieMaggie 23/03/11, 06:49 am

The Bishop Lynch coaches are also club coaches and understand. TAPPS plays in the fall/winter with the greatest club game conflict potential. I think because of our current coaches' backgrounds, the girls soccer program is run as well or better than many club programs. IMO, this accounts for much of the vast improvement this year. It seems like many of the schools in TAPPS have club coaches too. During one game against Ursuline, several of their A bench ran up around 1/2 time, coming directly from a club game.

Last edited by MaggieMaggie on 25/03/11, 02:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaggieMaggie
MaggieMaggie
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by whowasthatto 23/03/11, 12:48 pm

Unfortunately, unless the AD is a big soccer fan, nothing will change.

whowasthatto
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by slrsoccer 23/03/11, 01:44 pm

It can change! How many kids on any high school soccer team also play club? I have to bet it is at least 90%.

You, the parents of the kids hold the cards here and have ALL the leverage. It should be told up front to the coach as a group, that if club conflicts with high school, your kid will be choosing club. He then has to make the decision as to whether or not he wants to field a competitive team (job security) or go with non club participants on the varsity roster.

A meaningless middle of the season game can always be played by JV or even Freshmen team players.

A caveat to that would be that I think a playoff game for high school would be tough to miss.

Force their hand. The coach wasn't hired because he/she was a great Math teacher.

slrsoccer
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by clueless 23/03/11, 03:21 pm

slrsoccer wrote:It can change! How many kids on any high school soccer team also play club? I have to bet it is at least 90%.

You, the parents of the kids hold the cards here and have ALL the leverage. It should be told up front to the coach as a group, that if club conflicts with high school, your kid will be choosing club. He then has to make the decision as to whether or not he wants to field a competitive team (job security) or go with non club participants on the varsity roster.

A meaningless middle of the season game can always be played by JV or even Freshmen team players.

A caveat to that would be that I think a playoff game for high school would be tough to miss.

Force their hand. The coach wasn't hired because he/she was a great Math teacher.

As much as I'm anti-union, I would agree this would be about the only option if there no flexibility. I seriously doubt a coach wants a team full of nonclub players.
clueless
clueless
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamethrower 23/03/11, 04:22 pm

slrsoccer wrote:It can change! How many kids on any high school soccer team also play club? I have to bet it is at least 90%.

I disagree with one point. Some coaches at high school level were hired because they were a great math teacher, not coach.. very true in a lot of cases..

Flamethrower
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 23/03/11, 04:27 pm

In many cases though he was hired because he was a great coach, a great pointy ball assistant coach.

my2cents
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamethrower 25/03/11, 01:05 am

That is in very few cases!

Flamethrower
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Plano East Fan 25/03/11, 10:31 am

He then has to make the decision as to whether or not he wants to field a competitive team (job security) or go with non club participants on the varsity roster.

I can tell you as a club coach and a high school coach, my job is based on TAKS scores not wins or loses.

Plano East Fan
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 25/03/11, 10:53 am

Plano East Fan wrote:

He then has to make the decision as to whether or not he wants to field a competitive team (job security) or go with non club participants on the varsity roster.

I can tell you as a club coach and a high school coach, my job is based on TAKS scores not wins or loses.

That is an awesome answer and great point!

Back to top Go down

Post by Bionic Cat 25/03/11, 10:17 pm

DoubleDD wrote:
Plano East Fan wrote:

That is an awesome answer and great point!

Meow.

Repercussions of missing a high school game for league play - Page 2 Cat_toast
Bionic Cat
Bionic Cat
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum