North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
>!<JOIN ILLUMINATI IN UGANDA KAMPALA +2767271614024/03/24, 08:49 amyunuko
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 01:09 amFever United Wright
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 12:00 pmDallas Texans East
Annis18/11/23, 12:00 pmPele
Triumph FC Boys09/11/23, 10:08 pmPele
ECNL Player ID Platform19/10/23, 02:34 pmsmugrr
Goalkeeper Wanted! 2007G Dallas Texans Soccer Team!10/10/23, 10:31 amDallas Texans East
BVB 09B Classic D305/10/23, 08:28 pmBdavis
Solar 14’ Rodriguez 19/09/23, 09:34 pmCHIVAS

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN LOOKING FOR A SOCCER TEAM (PART 1 OF 2) Pixel
Statistics
We have 15799 registered users
The newest registered user is Pancho83

Our users have posted a total of 205167 messages in 31957 subjects

THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN LOOKING FOR A SOCCER TEAM (PART 1 OF 2)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN LOOKING FOR A SOCCER TEAM (PART 1 OF 2) Empty THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN LOOKING FOR A SOCCER TEAM (PART 1 OF 2)

Post by soccerstand 15/07/13, 11:08 am

QUESTIONS TO CONSIDERSTRONGLY DISAGREE(-2)SOMEWHAT DISAGREE(-1)UNSURE(0)SOMEWHAT AGREE OR SOMEWHAT UNIMPORTANT(1)STRONGLY AGREE OR STRONGLY UNIMPORTANT(2)
Coach likes and cares about each player
Teammates like each other
Team manager(s) likes each player
Coaching director knows/likes each player
Other coaches at club knows/likes each player
Coach has complete control of team
Coach does not lie to players and parents
Coach isn't over extended with other teams or jobs
Team isn't controlled/run by mean/hurtful players or cliques (check Facebook/Twitter pages)
Team isn't controlled/run by mean/hurtful team manager(s)
Team isn't controlled/run by mean/hurtful parents or parent cliques (check Facebook/Twitter pages)
Teammates don't yell mean things at each other
Team managers don't yell mean things at players
Parents don't yell mean things at players
Coach likes to develop and improve players
Coach gives each player individual attention
Coach knows how to communicate with each player individually and differently
Teammates want to win
Teammates are willing and able to work hard
Team practices 2 - 4 times per week during season
Team does fitness training regularly
Team manager communicates well with parents
Team has clearly communicated goals
Each player has clearly communicated goals

soccerstand
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN LOOKING FOR A SOCCER TEAM (PART 1 OF 2) Empty THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN LOOKING FOR A SOCCER TEAM (PART 2 OF 2)

Post by soccerstand 15/07/13, 11:20 am

QUESTIONS TO CONSIDERSTRONGLY DISAGREE(-2)SOMEWHAT DISAGREE(-1)UNSURE(0)SOMEWHAT AGREE OR SOMEWHAT UNIMPORTANT(1)STRONGLY AGREE OR STRONGLY UNIMPORTANT(2)
Coach evaluates team and each player regularly
Coach knows how to play soccer and develop/communicate strategies to players
Coach isn't mentally messed up
Coach wants to win
Coach has integrity
Manager has integrity
Players have integrity
Parents have integrity
Coach has a high energy level
Coach is courageous and not afraid of players, parents, managers and others
Coach has a successful track record
Coach is licensed
Coach and team have a strong work ethic
Team travels and stays together during away games
Team has at least a couple of social events per year that are not soccer related
Team parents have at least one or two social events each year
Coach attends at least 1 of my daughters middle/high school soccer or other sports games per year
Coach/coaching director/club managers are well connected with college coaches
Coach has a plan and has communicated it to each player about college soccer
Team has access to good safe training/practice facilities with plenty of space
Club has an effective organizational structure that is conducive to success
Club has a successful track record
Team/club is adequately funded and viable
TOTAL POINTS

soccerstand
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN LOOKING FOR A SOCCER TEAM (PART 1 OF 2) Empty Re: THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN LOOKING FOR A SOCCER TEAM (PART 1 OF 2)

Post by TripDDs 15/07/13, 11:30 am

Your questions and the +/- association is very subjective, and for the most part comical. Is this really necessary?

I have time to waste, so here you go.....

Coach likes and cares about each player - can he/she coach soccer, my DD isn't looking for a life partner

Teammates like each other - best teams I played with, hated some of the other kids.  Can team play together?

Team manager(s) likes each player - What does it matter if the team manager likes a player, how does managing the team have any effect on the players?

Coaching director knows/likes each player - this is just comical

Other coaches at club knows/likes each player  - why does this matter at all?

Coach has complete control of team  - very vague, you mean as far as practices, tournaments, playing time - what do you mean control?

Coach does not lie to players and parents  - all coaches lie to individuals, their obligation is to the team as a whole, and occasionally they have to massage the truth to invidivuals to keep the health of the team up.  Buyer beware, and use your eyes not just your ears.

Coach isn't over extended with other teams or jobs - None of this should really matter, does he make your team's practices and games a priority?  The older you are the more important this is, sometimes to get a good coach you have to work around his older teams - until you are the older team.

Team isn't controlled/run by mean/hurtful players or cliques (check Facebook/Twitter pages)      
Team isn't controlled/run by mean/hurtful team manager(s)      
Team isn't controlled/run by mean/hurtful parents or parent cliques (check Facebook/Twitter pages) - Didn't you already ask this above, sounds like you are very sensitive to meany peeps associated with teams.

Teammates don't yell mean things at each other - I'd rather this then the over fake positive players, you want real teammates that are competitive and who may occasionally get emotional and call out other players.  There is a lots of cussing on the soccer field, for those who haven't played the game outside of your local rec league.

Team managers don't yell mean things at players  - once again, did a manager do you wrong?  

Parents don't yell mean things at players - Lol, your DD is on a 06 team isn't she?

Coach likes to develop and improve players - so coach likes to coach?  

Coach gives each player individual attention - sure, if it benefits the group.

Coach knows how to communicate with each player individually and differently  - so coach knows how to coach?

Teammates want to win - are there lots of people playing soccer that don't want to win, you should define it by levels.

Teammates are willing and able to work hard -  if they have skills, makes the team better, and plays good soccer, who cares if they have to work hard, just worry about yourself.

Team practices 2 - 4 times per week during season  - 4 practices a week, lol, you are retarded.  

Team does fitness training regularly - the team should practice soccer regularly, get "fit" on your own time.

Team manager communicates well with parents  - an email a week is enough, you don't need a twitter account.

Team has clearly communicated goals  - yes, the team should know where they are playing and where they want to go.

Each player has clearly communicated goals - who cares what the other girls goals are, does the team fit your DD's goals?
TripDDs
TripDDs
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN LOOKING FOR A SOCCER TEAM (PART 1 OF 2) Empty Re: THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN LOOKING FOR A SOCCER TEAM (PART 1 OF 2)

Post by TripDDs 15/07/13, 11:40 am

Coach evaluates team and each player regularly - probably at each game, you know how you did if you get to play!

Coach knows how to play soccer and develop/communicate strategies to players - knowing how to play soccer and how to communicate how to play soccer are not related, this question is pointless.

Coach isn't mentally messed up - greatest coaches are sometimes "off"

Coach wants to win - win now? win long term? Two different answers, make the question clear.

Coach has integrity -
Manager has integrity
Players have integrity
Parents have integrity - you are caught up on this integrity, lie, etc, isn't it like the same questions over and over?

Coach has a high energy level - what does that matter, can't be a good calm coach?

Coach is courageous and not afraid of players, parents, managers and others - you are stuck on the parents/amangers running over the coach - this is like the same question for the 5th time.

Coach has a successful track record - previous success does not guarantee future results.

Coach is licensed - If he can get a ride to the practices, what difference does it make if he can drive?

Coach and team have a strong work ethic - same question asked again - what the hell?

Team travels and stays together during away games - like in the same room? most club teams have pretty strict travel rules and tournaments as well.

Team has at least a couple of social events per year that are not soccer related - They don't see enough of each other in your 4 times a week practice?

Team parents have at least one or two social events each year - do these have to be together?

Coach attends at least 1 of my daughters middle/high school soccer or other sports games per year - omg, why is that guy here, stalker? Seriously, is your DD 7 and this is her first team ever?

Coach/coaching director/club managers are well connected with college coaches - means zero until u14.

Coach has a plan and has communicated it to each player about college soccer - see above

Team has access to good safe training/practice facilities with plenty of space - location is important.

Club has an effective organizational structure that is conducive to success - this really doesn't matter at academy, may be a little more important at select. Depends on your goals, different value for everyone/

Club has a successful track record - success is relative, and your team may change clubs so who cares?

Team/club is adequately funded and viable - your team is funded by you, what does it matter if club has money problems. You pay for your season, if club folds, you move team at the end of the season. Club/Team should not both be in this question.
TripDDs
TripDDs
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN LOOKING FOR A SOCCER TEAM (PART 1 OF 2) Empty HERE ARE THE COLUMNS THAT WERE LEFT OUT TO THE RIGHT OF MY POSTS

Post by soccerstand 15/07/13, 11:58 am

STRONGLY DISAGREE (-2 POINTS)SOMEWHAT DISAGREE (-1 POINTS)NOT SURE (0 POINTS)SOMEWHAT AGREE OR IT SOMEWHAT DOESN'T MATTER (+1 POINT)STRONGLY AGREE OR STRONGLY DOESN'T MATTER (+2 POINTS)

soccerstand
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15/07/13, 11:59 am

If this is the checklist soccerstand has for picking a soccer team, I would L-O-V-E to see the checklist he/she put together for:

1)  When he/she chose whether or not to go college and if so, which college he/she went to...
2)  How they chose their spouse...
3)  How they chose their current employer...
4)  How they chose where to live, what house to buy...

I'm a self-admitted over-analytical geekazoid, but HOLY CRAP!affraid Shocked Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN LOOKING FOR A SOCCER TEAM (PART 1 OF 2) Empty I CANT GET THE RIGHT TO POST SO I JUST POSTED BELOW AND DOWN INSTEAD

Post by soccerstand 15/07/13, 12:01 pm

STRONGLY DISAGREE (-2 POINTS)
SOMEWHAT DISAGREE (-1 POINTS)
NOT SURE (0 POINTS)
SOMEWHAT AGREE OR IT SOMEWHAT DOESN'T MATTER (+1 POINT)
STRONGLY AGREE OR STRONGLY DOESN'T MATTER (+2 POINTS)

soccerstand
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerstand 15/07/13, 12:06 pm

TripDD - Your points are well taken and understood. I'm just throwing this out here for discussion. Obviously North Texas can't put together a National Championship ECNL team so something is wrong. I suggest that the answers are buried somewhere in the various questions that I pose.

soccerstand
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by TripDDs 15/07/13, 12:10 pm

soccerstand wrote:TripDD - Your points are well taken and understood.  I'm just throwing this out here for discussion.  Obviously North Texas can't put together a National Championship ECNL team so something is wrong.  I suggest that the answers are buried somewhere in the various questions that I pose.

Correct, it is obviously the managers that are holding us back!

There is only one ECNL Champ a year, and we have competitive teams up near the top and reading what others have posted, the Texans look to be a top ECNL club and I buy in to the thought that 5 ECNL teams from our region is too many.  If we cut down to 4, would those 4 teams all improve?
TripDDs
TripDDs
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by the7wolf 15/07/13, 12:49 pm

bwgophers wrote:If this is the checklist soccerstand has for picking a soccer team, I would L-O-V-E to see the checklist he/she put together for:

1)  When he/she chose whether or not to go college and if so, which college he/she went to...
2)  How they chose their spouse...
3)  How they chose their current employer...
4)  How they chose where to live, what house to buy...

I'm a self-admitted over-analytical geekazoid, but HOLY CRAP!affraid Shocked Rolling Eyes

Laughing Laughing Laughing 

TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

http://www.thewolfandtheshepherd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by InaB 15/07/13, 01:31 pm

My, my, talk about left-brained OCD brain processing. Do your socks have to be sorted by color, date of purchase, style, and smile (up or down)? Do you plan all your activities by the nano second?

I mean, I get along with 99.999999 percent of people, but I just got a headache from trying to read your list. I agree with gophers - but I don't want to see your other lists - they would only make my headache worse. (But I bet the timing of conception and birth of your children was a real hoot!) Very Happy 

And Tripp, you are right, we managers got together and pledged never, ever, ever to allow our teams to take top ECNL honors. (After all, then we would have nothing to complain about!)

There are never, ever enough conspiracy theories floated on this board. Cool 
InaB
InaB
Original Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clueless 15/07/13, 02:49 pm

Holy Cow, my OCD takes offense to the sock drawer comment, but this list is way outta here - I do recall having these discussions when my kids were starting, however.

Personally, I recall having this discussion with my daughter at age 7 - 'who would you like to play with?'. Then, I determined the logistics of getting to practice and it was over. Now, my annual discussion consists of 'do you wish to continue playing soccer?' and 'do you wish to stay with your current team?'.

Here's a hint as far as coaches who are 'mean' or 'screamers' - if they have a team, there's a great chance that there are several kids and families who are fine with that coach as soccer instructor as well as, gasp, a person.

When FCD started their youth side, I do recall how the uniforms played a gigantic role in kids willingness to play there (I'm sure it's still the same way - funny how that works and puts it all into perspective relative to how seriously the parents take it).

As a team manager, I can't tell you how often I had to find my kids a ride home after practices because I was stuck there for hours filling out these surveys from prospective team families. I ended up just creating a DVD of hidden video of our coach in action and candid interviews of his ex-girlfriends and anyone he testified against previously.

It was rather painful when my son, after playing for 4 years with a coach he enjoyed, having great success, playing with his best friends....we found that the club didn't have a successful record and only one social event per annum, so I had him quit and just taught him to smoke and skateboard.
clueless
clueless
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by InaB 15/07/13, 02:58 pm

Sorry if my sock draw offended Clueless, but if the shoe, er sock fits...... Very Happy BTW, I think that was your son who mowed me down on his skateboard last Thursday. I have a medical bill he needs to take care of. Shocked 
InaB
InaB

Back to top Go down

Post by clueless 15/07/13, 03:00 pm

I don't think he's on parole yet, could be one of his tutors.
clueless
clueless
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by InaB 15/07/13, 03:19 pm

Well let me know if any of them have a Big Bird tatoo.
InaB
InaB

Back to top Go down

Post by JustaSport 15/07/13, 04:13 pm

All I look for is a team that decisively wins all of its games by any means necessary. Why is that not on the list?
JustaSport
JustaSport
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by InaB 15/07/13, 04:22 pm

Justa, did you not see the teeny, tiny print in gray at the bottom of Section 2? It is under the When all else fails heading. Very Happy 
InaB
InaB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15/07/13, 04:29 pm

Well, I have every single one of those check marked about myself for my Academy teams. I must be the greatest coach on earth! Thanks for the ego boost.

Back to top Go down

Post by the7wolf 15/07/13, 04:34 pm

The Real Decoy wrote:Well, I have every single one of those check marked about myself for my Academy teams.  I must be the greatest coach on earth! Thanks for the ego boost.

I don't know/like all of your kids. LIAR! Twisted Evil 

TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 15/07/13, 04:48 pm

the7wolf wrote:
The Real Decoy wrote:Well, I have every single one of those check marked about myself for my Academy teams.  I must be the greatest coach on earth! Thanks for the ego boost.

Calling a coach a liar, isn't that redundant?  You could have just said you don't like all your kids, COACH!

What I want to know, is what all these evil managers are up to and why they are holding back ECNL teams?
Blank77
Blank77

Back to top Go down

Post by the7wolf 15/07/13, 04:57 pm

Blank77 wrote:
the7wolf wrote:

Calling a coach a liar, isn't that redundant?  You could have just said you don't like all your kids, COACH!

What I want to know, is what all these evil managers are up to and why they are holding back ECNL teams?

It's either something to do with the illuminati or the Jewish banking cartels. I always forget who's behind it.

TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 15/07/13, 05:04 pm

the7wolf wrote:
Blank77 wrote:
the7wolf wrote:

It's either something to do with the illuminati or the Jewish banking cartels. I always forget who's behind it.

THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN LOOKING FOR A SOCCER TEAM (PART 1 OF 2) 3tri69
Blank77
Blank77

Back to top Go down

Post by clueless 15/07/13, 05:17 pm

Blank77 wrote:
the7wolf wrote:

I did my part in holding back the ECNL teams by trying to place a few of our starters on their various Pre-ECNL teams every year.
Didn't really 'take' until this year.
clueless
clueless
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by SteamingBean 15/07/13, 05:59 pm

That's a lot of questions.  Our only questions for our first oldest dd were  1) tell us again, what is soccer? (we thought it was something only feminine men did in France, ..but we've evolved since), and 2) is the coach on probation or parole for anything?  (not sure if they did background checks way back then)

Questions for dd #2 were is the coach good, and is the team worth a gopher's butt in the rankings?

By the time we got to our third and fourth dds our only questions were how much $$, and how far away are practices??
SteamingBean
SteamingBean
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner9 15/07/13, 06:18 pm

I don't know how many questions there are, I only got to #5 before every team in NTX was eliminated. Guess we're doing gymnastics...

TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum