North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
>!<JOIN ILLUMINATI IN UGANDA KAMPALA +2767271614024/03/24, 08:49 amyunuko
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 01:09 amFever United Wright
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 12:00 pmDallas Texans East
Annis18/11/23, 12:00 pmPele
Triumph FC Boys09/11/23, 10:08 pmPele
ECNL Player ID Platform19/10/23, 02:34 pmsmugrr
Goalkeeper Wanted! 2007G Dallas Texans Soccer Team!10/10/23, 10:31 amDallas Texans East
BVB 09B Classic D305/10/23, 08:28 pmBdavis
Solar 14’ Rodriguez 19/09/23, 09:34 pmCHIVAS

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

College scenario for someone not going the traditional high school route.... Pixel
Statistics
We have 15799 registered users
The newest registered user is Pancho83

Our users have posted a total of 205167 messages in 31957 subjects

College scenario for someone not going the traditional high school route....

Go down

College scenario for someone not going the traditional high school route.... Empty College scenario for someone not going the traditional high school route....

Post by Blank77 29/07/13, 07:27 pm

Not sure if high school is the right place for this, but I have a hypothetical.

Say, a player is home schooled and playing club soccer with the idea of playing soccer in college. Now, instead of going to public high school, she starts taking true college classes at her local community college at 14 (this isn't unusual for home schoolers) and when her age group is graduating high school, she has 2 years of college credits. If she is looking to start her collegiate soccer career at this time, will this be a problem? Would she still have 4 years of eligibility since she hasn't played? Will soccer schools care that at 18 instead of a high school diploma she has, say an associates degree? Could this be a plus?

Blank77
Blank77
Original Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

College scenario for someone not going the traditional high school route.... Empty Re: College scenario for someone not going the traditional high school route....

Post by JeffM 29/07/13, 07:54 pm

Blank77 wrote:Not sure if high school is the right place for this, but I have a hypothetical.

Say, a player is home schooled and playing club soccer with the idea of playing soccer in college.  Now, instead of going to public high school, she starts taking true college classes at her local community college at 14 (this isn't unusual for home schoolers) and when her age group is graduating high school, she has 2 years of college credits.  If she is looking to start her collegiate soccer career at this time, will this be a problem?  Would she still have 4 years of eligibility since she hasn't played?  Will soccer schools care that at 18 instead of a high school diploma she has, say an associates degree?  Could this be a plus?  

Back in the day, the clock did not start running until the individual participated in actual workouts, etc. May not be the same now. I know the DD would be dragged up to the UTD summer conditioning program, by her cousin who played for UTD, and it was considered not a practice, as they did not work on the sport itself (no soccer ball was allowed, or it would be considered a practice, and an NCAA violation.)

I think the college would be happy to get a student that has proven they can handle a college course load, and played a sport at the same time.

I suggest you talk to many knowledgeable people (not sure you will find them here) and do some serious research yourself.

DD is homeschooled, and doing the dual credit stuff but has thrown in the towel on playing college soccer.

I would like to find out what you learn though, I have been curious about this myself.

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

College scenario for someone not going the traditional high school route.... Empty Re: College scenario for someone not going the traditional high school route....

Post by SwitchDaField 29/07/13, 09:39 pm

I believe you will still have 4 years of eligibility left. The clock starts when you actually start playing the sport. You can graduate early from college and still participate in sports. It's done all the time college football.

SwitchDaField
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by JustaSport 30/07/13, 08:04 am

I vaguely remember discussing this with a dad whose daughter was pretty much a genius, was accumulating multiple college credits while in high school, and was also a soccer player.  He mentioned at the time that she would need to accumulate less than 12 hours per semester (so as not be considered a full-time student) so that should she could retain full athletic eligibility.  You'll want to look up the details of the "5 Year Rule" through the NCAA.  It is not a very forgiving institution.  Here's the first part of it:

14.2.1 – Five-Year Rule.
A student-athlete shall complete his or her seasons of participation within five calendar years from the beginning of the semester or quarter in which the student-athlete first registered for a minimum full-time program of studies in a collegiate institution, with time spent in the armed services, on official religious missions or with recognized foreign aid services of the U.S. government being excepted. For international students, service in the armed forces or on an official religious mission of the student’s home country is considered equivalent to such service in the United States.
JustaSport
JustaSport
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffM 30/07/13, 09:41 am

JustaSport wrote:I vaguely remember discussing this with a dad whose daughter was pretty much a genius, was accumulating multiple college credits while in high school, and was also a soccer player.  He mentioned at the time that she would need to accumulate less than 12 hours per semester (so as not be considered a full-time student) so that should she could retain full athletic eligibility.  You'll want to look up the details of the "5 Year Rule" through the NCAA.  It is not a very forgiving institution.  Here's the first part of it:

14.2.1 – Five-Year Rule.
A student-athlete shall complete his or her seasons of participation within five calendar years from the beginning of the semester or quarter in which the student-athlete first registered for a minimum full-time program of studies in a collegiate institution, with time spent in the armed services, on official religious missions or with recognized foreign aid services of the U.S. government being excepted. For international students, service in the armed forces or on an official religious mission of the student’s home country is considered equivalent to such service in the United States.

Ever wonder why alot of BYU athletes look like they are in their late 20s?

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by smcary 30/07/13, 05:07 pm

We have been looking into homeschooling and this has been one of the questions we have been wondering about too.  Thanks for the information.  We will continue to pursue further clarification if homeschooling becomes a definite plan.

smcary
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by bananakick 30/07/13, 07:01 pm

4DaLuvofTheGM wrote:I believe you will still have 4 years of eligibility left. The clock starts when you actually start playing the sport.  You can graduate early from college and still participate in sports.  It's done all the time college football.

Yes. I occasionally hear of football players who redshirt a year, graduate in 4 years, enroll in graduate school, and play their final year of eligibility.
bananakick
bananakick
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpapa89 31/07/13, 04:17 pm

So I know when I graduated highschool 4 credits away from my associates, the college coaches that I spoke with about playing were excited. I know I was asked to take at least 12 credit hours between seasons. This helped me retain my eligibility, but besides that they liked the idea of having a player that could be more focused during soccer season on the sport then on school its self. I know I encourage any athlete to take dual credit classes in highschool as it will help them prevent from having to take 18 hours if they do want to graduate in 4 years.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

bigpapa89
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 31/07/13, 04:20 pm

bigpapa89 wrote:So I know when I graduated highschool 4 credits away from my associates, the college coaches that I spoke with about playing were excited. I know I was asked to take at least 12 credit hours between seasons. This helped me retain my eligibility, but besides that they liked the idea of having a player that could be more focused during soccer season on the sport then on school its self.  I know I encourage any athlete to take dual credit classes in highschool as it will help them prevent from having to take 18 hours if they do want to graduate in 4 years.

It sounds like at one time you were intelligent and a hard worker!  So, what happened?  

Also, did you ever get an associates degree, or were the 4 hours too much to tackle with a full soccer schedule?
Blank77
Blank77

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffM 31/07/13, 04:34 pm

Blank77 wrote:
bigpapa89 wrote:So I know when I graduated highschool 4 credits away from my associates, the college coaches that I spoke with about playing were excited. I know I was asked to take at least 12 credit hours between seasons. This helped me retain my eligibility, but besides that they liked the idea of having a player that could be more focused during soccer season on the sport then on school its self.  I know I encourage any athlete to take dual credit classes in highschool as it will help them prevent from having to take 18 hours if they do want to graduate in 4 years.

It sounds like at one time you were intelligent and a hard worker!  So, what happened?  

Also, did you ever get an associates degree, or were the 4 hours too much to tackle with a full soccer schedule?

I would suggest you get the associates degree if you are going the home school route.  (At least if you are going to go to a state school in Texas)  They will cherry pick and make you retake courses you have already had in Junior College, unless you have an associates.  There is a core curriculum guarantee, and you will pretty much need to complete the Associates to make sure you have the core curriculum completed. These help explain the Core Curriculum.

http://www.collin.edu/academics/programs/TexasCore.html

http://transferu.collin.edu/tips.html

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down