North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
ECNL 04 Girls Week 4Today at 03:09 pmSoccapeeps
Online Personal Trainer, Live & On-demandToday at 01:35 pmcityfutsal
FC Dallas South Kounas 11B - Looking for KeeperToday at 10:32 amcgooden
FC Dallas South Kounas 11BToday at 10:17 amcgooden
ECNL-08Today at 12:10 amCheckpoint Charlie
07 ECNLYesterday at 11:52 pmCheckpoint Charlie
Dual roster Yesterday at 11:40 pmCheckpoint Charlie
Looking for a teamYesterday at 11:26 pmCheckpoint Charlie
ECNL 04 Girls Week 3Yesterday at 04:13 pmBluesTraveler
Still looking for a team? RISE8 FC 07G LHGC League & FutsalYesterday at 12:19 pmCccrushers
RISE8 FC 08G Looking to add a GOALKEEPER to complete ROSTERYesterday at 11:47 amCccrushers
RISE8 FC 07G Looking to add a GOALKEEPER to complete ROSTERYesterday at 11:34 amCccrushers
Dallas Roma FC 2012. Coached by Patrick Shamu 22/09/20, 06:09 pmDRFC Academy
Dallas Roma FC 2011 Coached by Patrick Shamu 22/09/20, 06:01 pmDRFC Academy
Dallas Roma FC 10s Classic lge Needing a Goalkeeper. 22/09/20, 05:49 pmDRFC Academy
FC Dallas 11G Copa, JGAL, 2 open spots 22/09/20, 04:00 pmCoachEddieMarin
Goalkeeper Wanted22/09/20, 01:55 pmcoachsansom
Sting 12 boys MOLE (Frisco)22/09/20, 01:11 pmCoachGM
Top ‘07 NTX Boys Teams22/09/20, 12:53 pmdreadpirateroberts
Thiago has the most passes in English Premier League22/09/20, 03:36 amALEXXXXXXX
Renegades 2012G Central • Mendoza21/09/20, 11:48 amRenegades Soccer Club
Renegades Soccer Club 2014/15G • Central Division21/09/20, 08:53 amRenegades Soccer Club
Renegades Soccer Club 2013G’s Opportunity’s 21/09/20, 08:42 amRenegades Soccer Club
FC Premier now forming Boys & Girls Juniors teams 2013-201520/09/20, 07:58 pmMuc03b
FC Premier now forming Boys & Girls Juniors teams 2013-201520/09/20, 07:41 pmMuc03b

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

To go select or not to go – that is the question Pixel
Statistics
We have 14515 registered users
The newest registered user is ALEXXXXXXX

Our users have posted a total of 200211 messages in 29426 subjects

To go select or not to go – that is the question

Go down

To go select or not to go – that is the question Empty To go select or not to go – that is the question

Post by mishtx on 15/12/13, 06:07 pm

My daughter is 9. She is a decent player and loves soccer. We are deliberating on whether she should go select and whether we want to shell out that kind of $$. What other options are there in the McKinney/Allen/Frisco area?

mishtx
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

To go select or not to go – that is the question Empty Re: To go select or not to go – that is the question

Post by Coach&Ref on 15/12/13, 07:54 pm

It's a tough question to answer. Many will have differing opinions based on their own experiences and essentially, everyone is right.

By the tone and content of your post, I can only extrapolate the position you may be in. If you have been with a team for at least a few seasons, are satisfied that your girl is being developed, and can (upon serious reflection), place her in value to the team (skill wise) between 3-8, then do it.

If you are unsure, remember you can sign up for rec and still practice and play tourneys with ANY select team you want. This has a few benefits: you can see how the coach REALLY coaches now that the wooing and honeymoon period is over. You can practice with any team. You can gauge the play style of any team (some will tell you before you sign that they play a possession style, but after signing possession to them means kickball.

There is always ODP as well as Futsal Development Programs.

To me, its not about select or not. it's about where my daughter is going to develop the best and have the most fun. If mine had to choose, she would pick the futsal academy program, since she happens to love Futsal more than select, and would play that if push came to shove.

Remember, get several opinions before making up your mind.

Also, ignore Herradura. She's probably drunk and going to come after me in her tequila fueled ire! Lol! Just kidding Herradura! Smile

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

To go select or not to go – that is the question Empty Re: To go select or not to go – that is the question

Post by Pitch'n on 15/12/13, 08:06 pm

IMO- you are going to spend the same amount of time at the practice field ( twice a week) for rec or select. How important is your time? 2 plus hrs (plus drive time) for a parent coach, or paying for an experienced (depending on who you chose) coach. The exception would be if you find a really good rec coach whom your dd can learn a lot from. Eventually, she may outgrow that coach's knowledge and need to move to a more competitive environment. Also, the better kids that your dd trains with will help make her better. Will she be challenged in a rec league. IMO again, you don't want your dd to be the best on a team because who is she going to learn from and be challenged by?

Pitch'n
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Coach&Ref on 15/12/13, 08:13 pm

But you don't need to be on a rec team nor even practice with a rec coach. You can sign up as a "non rostered" player at usually half the rec cost and practice with select teams.

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by deepblack on 15/12/13, 08:49 pm

There are good rec teams with good coaches, just not very many and it's difficult to get your DD on one. There are also good select teams from smaller clubs with fees in the 500-1000 range.
deepblack
deepblack
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by mishtx on 15/12/13, 09:36 pm

Thank you for all of your insights. You have been very helpful.

We have recently moved to the Frisco/McKinney area and our daughter has only been with the coach/team for a couple of months. We are not sold on them yet. Handing over $3K to the club doesn't feel like the right move at this point.

We are in the Frisco/McKinney area. Are there other smaller, less pricey clubs up this way? How competitive is the Frisco rec league?

Thank you for your time.

mishtx
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by TNT on 15/12/13, 10:02 pm

Save the $ and put it in a college fund

TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by mishtx on 15/12/13, 10:13 pm

At TNT: My dad is giving me the same advise and thinks this is all nuts.

mishtx
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by turftoe9 on 16/12/13, 01:31 am

It's so funny that one of the parents that are giving you advice have their DD not only playing for their team but, playing ODP, Futsal& 3v3. If your DD can play at an upper level let her, if not than let her have fun at what she does!
turftoe9
turftoe9
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Coach&Ref on 16/12/13, 03:00 am

turftoe9 wrote:It's so funny that one of the parents that are giving you advice have their DD not only playing for their team but, playing ODP, Futsal& 3v3. If your DD can play at an upper level let her, if not than let her have fun at what she does!

If you can afford it, then do all that your daughter can and wants to do.

If you can't afford it, you still might be able to do all of those things, if your girl is good enough.

It all comes down to finding a good balance of her development and being in an environment where she can have fun!  cheers

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by turftoe9 on 16/12/13, 07:54 am

Coach&Ref wrote:
turftoe9 wrote:It's so funny that one of the parents that are giving you advice have their DD not only playing for their team but, playing ODP, Futsal& 3v3. If your DD can play at an upper level let her, if not than let her have fun at what she does!

If you can afford it, then do all that your daughter can and wants to do.

If you can't afford it, you still might be able to do all of those things, if your girl is good enough.

It all comes down to finding a good balance of her development and being in an environment where she can have fun!  cheers

I agree with the good balance comment. Have her play more than one sport so she can find out what she likes.
turftoe9
turftoe9
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 16/12/13, 08:06 am

mishtx wrote:Thank you for all of your insights. You have been very helpful.

We have recently moved to the Frisco/McKinney area and our daughter has only been with the coach/team for a couple of months. We are not sold on them yet. Handing over $3K to the club doesn't feel like the right move at this point.

We are in the Frisco/McKinney area. Are there other smaller, less pricey clubs up this way? How competitive is the Frisco rec league?

Thank you for your time.

Based on the highlighted statement above, I would say you need to be exploring other options.

Think of it this way... when your father (or anyone else) says to you "I can't believe you are spending that much money on soccer for your 10 yr. old daughter...", your response better be something like "Yeah, I know it's crazy, but we can afford it, soccer is her passion, we are going to support that, and she is having a great experience with this team/coach/club..."

If your response to that question would be any different, then you are very likely setting yourself, and your DD, up for heartache down the road.

Be honest with yourselves, and be objective when it comes to your DD - objective not only about her true ability and place in the pecking order of her team, but also about her level of passion for the sport. If soccer is what makes her tick and she is self-motivated to get her schoolwork done, chores done, get her own gear ready to go to practice, and chomping at the bit to get out the door and headed to practice, then you are in a good situation with her current team, and probably want to be feeding that fire.

If soccer is more of a "hobby" to her and/or there are days where you feel like you are having to drag her out the door to go to practice, then you should be exploring other options, whether that's simply a team/club change to another "big club/team", or an option with less $ and/or time commitment.

At the end of the day, you (hopefully) know your DD and your family/financial situation the best. Go with your gut. If it feels right, run with it. If it doesn't, start exploring other options.

The good news is:

1) There are plenty of options from rec all the way up to most expensive select clubs.
2) The choice you make now is really minor in the big scheme of things. If your choice this time ends up less than ideal, honestly assess why that was, and you'll have a better chance of making a better choice a few months down the road.

Back to top Go down

Post by herradura on 16/12/13, 08:19 am

TNT wrote:Save the $ and put it in a college fund

I talked to a parent the other day that matches what they spend on soccer with what they place in a college fund. Its a good concept, but I would have to lower my tequila intake quite a bit to pull that one off..

Point being, if you have your daughter in select soccer to get a college scholarship, you are in it for the wrong reasons. I don't mean to rain on everyones parade, BUT -  your DD will not be on the USWNT, she will not have the Stanford Coach calling your cell phone the day she is a junior in high school and no, she will not be body painted in Sports Illustrated. And yes, this applies to you too CoachandRef drunken 

Soccer will be a growing and learning experience that will enhance her life, how much emphasis you put and how much money you choose to spend on that experience is up to you - there is no right answer.
herradura
herradura
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Location : At counseling "talking through" the desire to instigate forum drama

Back to top Go down

Post by DrSoccer on 16/12/13, 08:49 am

It is a question of time, money, and goals. Everyone's are different.. someone should put together a flow chart or an interactive program. You could plug in your income, parents physical attributes, free time, goals, etc... and it would give you a printout of when/where to start training, how many hrs to devote each week to skills, which level to start and end at, when to send out college letters (or which rec league to play in), etc....
DrSoccer
DrSoccer
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 16/12/13, 09:01 am

IMO - If you're wondering if Select is for your DD / family (it is also a family commitment), look for a good smaller / independent club and start there. The price you pay for quality coaching and a great team experience varies wildly in Select. With some of the bigger clubs, you are definitely paying a "brand name" price as part of the package with only the top teams in each club receiving what I would consider "superior" coaching.

Look for a coach that is committed to making players better, provides a great environment and treats the players and parents with respect. If you have that and your daughter comes home from practice with a smile on her face, it's money well spent.

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 on 16/12/13, 09:41 am

Wait here is a revolutionary idea. How about instead of you contemplating you ask her what she wants to do. How hard she wants to work at it. Maybe she wants to work hard. compete and become the best she can at soccer or maybe she just wants to have fun and enjoy the game. Parents should keep in mind that it's not your soccer it's your kids soccer. Your job is to help them do what THEY want not push on them what YOU want.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by SD69 on 16/12/13, 11:05 am

go99 wrote:Wait here is a revolutionary idea.  How about instead of you contemplating you ask her what she wants to do.  How hard she wants to work at it.  Maybe she wants to work hard. compete and become the best she can at soccer or maybe she just wants to have fun and enjoy the game.  Parents should keep in mind that it's not your soccer it's your kids soccer.  Your job is to help them do what THEY want not push on them what YOU want.

In general, I agree with this. But in my DD's case, she is a creature of habit. If we always let her do what she always wanted, she would still be toe-poking away on a mediocre rec team. Splitting time between her rec and academy teams at first, she didn't like academy with new teammates and extra commitment, but it only took a couple of months before realizing how much she really enjoyed the competitiveness and teamwork a good academy team provides. By the end of her first season, she was wanting to leave her rec team she had played with for years.

She just started ODP. If she had her way, she wouldn't ever go to practice because she doesn't know anyone. But always after practice, she won't stop talking about how much fun it was competing against the older stronger girls. I'm betting as the practices come more frequent and she gets to know the players more, she'll like it as well as her academy team and won't be able to wait until the next session.

Some kids are always jumping at every opportunity to get better. Some need a little push before realizing how much fun it can be. Some never enjoy it. Right now my DD falls in the second category. If that changes and she falls in the latter, we'll bow out, do something different, and use the money saved on something else she can enjoy and learn from.

My 2 cents.
SD69
SD69
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Coach&Ref on 16/12/13, 11:28 am

I talked to a parent the other day that matches what they spend on soccer with what they place in a college fund. Its a good concept, but I would have to lower my tequila intake quite a bit to pull that one off..

Point being, if you have your daughter in select soccer to get a college scholarship, you are in it for the wrong reasons. I don't mean to rain on everyones parade, BUT -  your DD will not be on the USWNT, she will not have the Stanford Coach calling your cell phone the day she is a junior in high school and no, she will not be body painted in Sports Illustrated. And yes, this applies to you too CoachandRef drunken 

My daughter isn't going to college. She has decided to go to Mixology school, so that she will be able to continue to serve the premium libations that you are used to imbibing! We need to start training the younger generation NOW!  cheers

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by herradura on 16/12/13, 12:15 pm

Coach&Ref wrote:

My daughter isn't going to college. She has decided to go to Mixology school, so that she will be able to continue to serve the premium libations that you are used to imbibing! We need to start training the younger generation NOW!  cheers

Thats where the real $$ is!  Very Happy 
herradura
herradura
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 16/12/13, 12:42 pm

soccerdad1969 wrote:
go99 wrote:Wait here is a revolutionary idea.  How about instead of you contemplating you ask her what she wants to do.  How hard she wants to work at it.  Maybe she wants to work hard. compete and become the best she can at soccer or maybe she just wants to have fun and enjoy the game.  Parents should keep in mind that it's not your soccer it's your kids soccer.  Your job is to help them do what THEY want not push on them what YOU want.

In general, I agree with this. But in my DD's case, she is a creature of habit. If we always let her do what she always wanted, she would still be toe-poking away on a mediocre rec team. Splitting time between her rec and academy teams at first, she didn't like academy with new teammates and extra commitment, but it only took a couple of months before realizing how much she really enjoyed the competitiveness and teamwork a good academy team provides. By the end of her first season, she was wanting to leave her rec team she had played with for years.

She just started ODP. If she had her way, she wouldn't ever go to practice because she doesn't know anyone. But always after practice, she won't stop talking about how much fun it was competing against the older stronger girls. I'm betting as the practices come more frequent and she gets to know the players more, she'll like it as well as her academy team and won't be able to wait until the next session.

Some kids are always jumping at every opportunity to get better. Some need a little push before realizing how much fun it can be. Some never enjoy it. Right now my DD falls in the second category. If that changes and she falls in the latter, we'll bow out, do something different, and use the money saved on something else she can enjoy and learn from.

My 2 cents.

Exactly right.  I highly doubt many kids playing rec think "I'm outplaying the competition and am ready for a bigger challenge." and ask their parents what's out there. It's up to the parents to help them take that next step if they aren't being challenged competitively. Parents don't have to be pushy, but there is nothing wrong with guidance which is what the original post seemed to be looking for.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 16/12/13, 12:45 pm

soccerdad1969 wrote:

My 2 cents.

i totally agree, one kid knows exactly what she wants 99 percent of the time the other couldn't decide between coke and sprite if you gave her an hour to make up her mind, some need guidance and appreciate it deep down. depends on the kid...

Back to top Go down

Post by CharlieSheen's Brain on 16/12/13, 01:11 pm

herradura wrote:
Point being, if you have your daughter in select soccer to get a college scholarship, you are in it for the wrong reasons. I don't mean to rain on everyones parade, BUT -  your DD will not be on the USWNT, she will not have the Stanford Coach calling your cell phone the day she is a junior in high school and no, she will not be body painted in Sports Illustrated.  

there is no right answer.

Speak for yourself, Herradura, you low expectation loser.

If you ain't winning! you be losing!

CharlieSheen's Brain
CharlieSheen's Brain
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 16/12/13, 01:13 pm

no, she will not be body painted in Sports Illustrated.

i know you do this to yourself after a few shots when no one is around herradura... lol! 

Back to top Go down

Post by herradura on 16/12/13, 01:43 pm

silentparent wrote:no, she will not be body painted in Sports Illustrated.  

i know you do this to yourself after a few shots when no one is around herradura... lol! 

20 yrs ago maybe - and all of you would have wanted to see it. Present day…. I don't know if there is enough tequila for me or the audience!  Laughing 
herradura
herradura
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum