North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
>!<JOIN ILLUMINATI IN UGANDA KAMPALA +2767271614024/03/24, 08:49 amyunuko
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 12:00 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Which large clubs do a good/bad job of developing players? Pixel
Statistics
We have 15800 registered users
The newest registered user is Yuna

Our users have posted a total of 205174 messages in 31963 subjects

Which large clubs do a good/bad job of developing players?

Go down

Which large clubs do a good/bad job of developing players? Empty Which large clubs do a good/bad job of developing players?

Post by SuperCoach 23/06/15, 11:12 am

Obviously the coach has the most to do with it, it just seems some clubs have a lot more capable coaches than other clubs. There must be a reason why one club attracts quality coaches and another doesn't.
SuperCoach
SuperCoach
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Which large clubs do a good/bad job of developing players? Empty Re: Which large clubs do a good/bad job of developing players?

Post by BurnOnYou 23/06/15, 12:39 pm

Okay,
Which club(s) do you think attract more good coaches than others?

BurnOnYou
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Which large clubs do a good/bad job of developing players? Empty Re: Which large clubs do a good/bad job of developing players?

Post by Rooney13 23/06/15, 01:12 pm

Has nothing to with the club but more so with the coach. Big clubs have bad coaches along with good coaches. Small clubs and independents have good and bad. It more of which good coach can relate and communicate with your daughter. Don't buy into the name on the shirt, buy into who can develop your player

Rooney13
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Looking04 23/06/15, 01:13 pm

Academy or select?

I know that there will be some on here who will talk about "you can't look at records, my daughter played on a team that lost every year for 3 years (except those tournaments where we beat half the rec teams we played) and she developed just fine"

Yes - development doesn't equal winning, and winning doesn't equal development, but I would argue that there is some correlation

How can you say some clubs develop players "just fine" (even with a lack of "winning" academy teams), when their top select teams are built from purchasing / recruiting from other clubs?

That being said, large clubs with an apparent track record for producing results, defined by number / percentage of academy teams moving to select at the LHGCL level (Or those who do a better job identifying players and placing them on appropriate teams) -

Liverpool, Sting, Texans  

Solar?

However, there are many exceptions on both sides.

For smaller clubs / independents - I think those are more dependent on individual coaches for results - Andromeda, D'Feeters, Tx Spirit

Looking04
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Coach&Ref 23/06/15, 02:00 pm

I think this comes down to what your definition of "development" is. If you are referring to muscle memory skills such as how to push pass, dribble, trap, 2 touch, 1 touch, etc. then that is something that younger pre-academy skills coaches should be doing to develop. The fact is, that the best development for this is simply done at home by yourself performing repetition, repetition, repetition. Two practices a week and a game on Saturday is never enough to develop a good first touch. I would say that 90%+ has to be done at home.

If you define development as to how the kids are picked and used at the older ages (u13+), your daughter better have the first touch by then, because the coaches are there to simply develop "soccer IQ". They will stress the point that your daughter should be looking for the correct options BEFORE the ball even reaches her, not focusing on controlling it, lifting her head, and then picking someone out. I think ANY club is looking for the same thing and would rather just get into that as well as tactics. If your daughter doesn't have her first touch down by then, I think it will be very difficult to develop it as the level rises.

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by RightWingDad 23/06/15, 03:17 pm

C&R, what about all the stories I hear about USWNT players who did not start playing soccer until later in youth....Mia Hamm, Alex Morgan, etc. They obviously did not put in their "10K hours" at home prior to age 14 developing that first touch.

I agree, what you state is probably the rule of thumb, but there are always those out there who buck the norm I think. And that's the beauty of sport...you just never know.

RightWingDad
RightWingDad
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by SD69 23/06/15, 03:21 pm

Based on her performance at WC so far, Morgan probably should have stuck to the rule of thumb.
SD69
SD69
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Coach&Ref 23/06/15, 03:30 pm

RightWingDad wrote:C&R, what about all the stories I hear about USWNT players who did not start playing soccer until later in youth....Mia Hamm, Alex Morgan, etc. They obviously did not put in their "10K hours" at home prior to age 14 developing that first touch.

I agree, what you state is probably the rule of thumb, but there are always those out there who buck the norm I think. And that's the beauty of sport...you just never know.

Man, I totally agree with you. I know a guy who hadn't touched a soccer ball until the age of 13yo who was invited and went to Brazil to play; All expenses paid.

There are definitely people out there that exist. I think that they are in the minority and are just incredibly gifted.

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by RightWingDad 23/06/15, 03:49 pm

SD69 wrote:Based on her performance at WC so far, Morgan probably should have stuck to the rule of thumb.

One tournament does not define a player....ie, Neymar's exit from Copa America. Besides she did get the goal that got the ball rolling in US favor last night.
RightWingDad
RightWingDad
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by SD69 23/06/15, 04:25 pm

Prob a little too tough on her with her lack of recent PT, touches, etc. Also too much to ask of her to run onto the numerous long balls defense/midfield throws her way. Frustrating to watch at that level.
SD69
SD69
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by RightWingDad 23/06/15, 05:32 pm

Watch Copa America then. Better soccer than WWC and definitely better than MLS.
RightWingDad
RightWingDad
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Barca 23/06/15, 07:12 pm

RightWingDad wrote:Watch Copa America then. Better soccer than WWC and definitely better than MLS.
There is also WCW and WWF but I was a bigger fan of the New World Order (NWA).
Barca
Barca
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 23/06/15, 07:39 pm

Barca wrote:
RightWingDad wrote:Watch Copa America then. Better soccer than WWC and definitely better than MLS.
There is also WCW and WWF but I was a bigger fan of the New World Order (NWA).

NWA was something else.

Back to top Go down

Post by boilerjoe_96 23/06/15, 08:28 pm

A = attitude i believe...
boilerjoe_96
boilerjoe_96
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by SteamingBean 23/06/15, 11:43 pm

VultureVic wrote:Obviously the coach has the most to do with it, it just seems some clubs have a lot more capable coaches than other clubs. There must be a reason why one club attracts quality coaches and another doesn't.

We've been associated with Sting, FCD, and LP thru the years and none of them have a monopoly on quality coaches. We've seen the good, the bad and the ugly at them all. Good teaching coaches can also be found, depending on the age group, at the small independents. I can think of a handful at Dribble, Mutiny, Triumph, Gremio, Mustangs and others
SteamingBean
SteamingBean
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down