North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
>!<JOIN ILLUMINATI IN UGANDA KAMPALA +2767271614024/03/24, 08:49 amyunuko
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 12:00 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Jan '06- July'06- go select or stay academy? - Page 2 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15800 registered users
The newest registered user is Yuna

Our users have posted a total of 205174 messages in 31963 subjects

Jan '06- July'06- go select or stay academy?

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Jan '06- July'06- go select or stay academy? - Page 2 Empty Re: Jan '06- July'06- go select or stay academy?

Post by Lakedad 19/08/15, 09:55 am

Sho'nuff wrote:You guys aren't paying attention.  '05 AP will be first year of select.  '06 AP will be academy.

Obviously the most difficult decision NTX Soccer will need to make. If this is scheduled to be implemented next year, all select contracts should be voided for a year and those kids should be allowed the ability to find a good fit - particularly if Jan 05-Aug 05 kids will be forced to re-qualify again, but for all ages groups that will need to find a new team or a new club.

Lakedad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Jan '06- July'06- go select or stay academy? - Page 2 Empty Re: Jan '06- July'06- go select or stay academy?

Post by Guest 19/08/15, 10:00 am

Lakedad wrote:
Sho'nuff wrote:You guys aren't paying attention.  '05 AP will be first year of select.  '06 AP will be academy.

Obviously the most difficult decision NTX Soccer will need to make.  If this is scheduled to be implemented next year, all select contracts should be voided for a year and those kids should be allowed the ability to find a good fit - particularly if Jan 05-Aug 05 kids will be forced to re-qualify again, but for all ages groups that will need to find a new team or a new club.  

From what I 'hear' and reading 'the email'. Nobody will be forced to do anything. These '05 players can play in '04 AP 11v11 with their current team if they want to.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakedad 19/08/15, 10:08 am

Sho'nuff wrote:
Lakedad wrote:

Obviously the most difficult decision NTX Soccer will need to make.  If this is scheduled to be implemented next year, all select contracts should be voided for a year and those kids should be allowed the ability to find a good fit - particularly if Jan 05-Aug 05 kids will be forced to re-qualify again, but for all ages groups that will need to find a new team or a new club.  

From what I 'hear' and reading 'the email'.  Nobody will be forced to do anything.  These '05 players can play in '04 AP 11v11 with their current team if they want to.

That's ideal, but there is a distinct chance that the coaches who have predominantly older 05 teams (Aug 04-Dec 04) might want to fill roster spots will other older 04's who are looking for new teams because that scenario has played out in every age group. Why not add older kids with speed, size and power to better my chances of staying D1.
Lakedad
Lakedad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 19/08/15, 10:13 am

SN - that depends on the year of implementation (2016 vs 2017) and if they switch to calendar year on select contracts (my above point), and they implement the changes (Select contracts) on calendar year 2016. The AP 06's would play an extra fall season of academy before the jump to select. The AP 05's would join established select teams already playing 11v11, which is grandfathered in based on what I heard. The notion of teams staying together to "play up" is wishful thinking. I don't want my 06 DD with a June birthday playing against DD's that are 1.5 years older than her at 10 years old.

Back to top Go down

Post by NorthDallasSoccer 19/08/15, 10:21 am

I don't think there will be any grandfathering. But younger kids can play up (at their own risk).

NorthDallasSoccer
NorthDallasSoccer
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by IAmSoccerfan 19/08/15, 11:10 am

My DD was born in Oct of '05. She currently plays on an '06 team. She is in a tough spot because the '05's are now select and have already gone through qualification. Based on the current rules she can't move to an '05 team because they don't allow you to play up the first year of select. What do you do? Seems there isn't much of choice. She'll have to wait until next year and then go find a team or hope that her '06 team is willing to play up and be competitive. I think there are five girls on the team in the same boat. Crappy situation.
IAmSoccerfan
IAmSoccerfan
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by lulu22 19/08/15, 11:18 am

But if this is going across all ages, the current 05 vintage is a mix of calendar 04 and 05, so those teams will be realigning. won't all teams be shaken up?

lulu22
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by AtThePitch 19/08/15, 11:20 am

Shake_and_Bake wrote:

SN - that depends on the year of implementation (2016 vs 2017) and if they switch to calendar year on select contracts (my above point), and they implement the changes (Select contracts) on calendar year 2016.  The AP 06's would play an extra fall season of academy before the jump to select.  The AP 05's would join established select teams already playing 11v11, which is grandfathered in based on what I heard.  The notion of teams staying together to "play up" is wishful thinking.  I don't want my 06 DD with a June birthday playing against DD's that are 1.5 years older than her at 10 years old.    

You should reread the email that was distributed here.

It very clearly states that..

1. NTSSA will be rewriting the bylaws in January
2. NTSSA is moving forward with implementation and all will be ready before contract signing time next summer.
3. AP will be all ages Fall 2016.

Those points really aren't debatable... what is debatable is what each coach/team is going g to do and how LHGCL is going to handle it...
AtThePitch
AtThePitch
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 19/08/15, 12:13 pm

IAmSoccerfan wrote:My DD was born in Oct of '05.  She currently plays on an '06 team.  She is in a tough spot because the '05's are now select and have already gone through qualification.  Based on the current rules she can't move to an '05 team because they don't allow you to play up the first year of select.  What do you do?  Seems there isn't much of choice.  She'll have to wait until next year and then go find a team or hope that her '06 team is willing to play up and be competitive.  I think there are five girls on the team in the same boat.  Crappy situation.  

It would make sense that Primetime be utilized for teams looking to transition to '05 AP. Primetime has an '05 league and Dom clarified that current '06s are eligible to play in it. It's not the top tier teams, but maybe the team list will improve in the Spring.

Back to top Go down

Post by DDdad 23/08/15, 10:39 pm

So as it was explained to me. The rest of the world plays Age Pure. This creates various difficulties, real or perceived at the National Team Level for and teams that play internationally. In order to alleviate those difficulties and align with the rest of the world, they decided to mandate Age Pure. Why not Grandfather it? Because by the time the current 06's get to be U16 -U23 which is the age at which all the issues really occur would be another 13 years to get it all aligned and cleaned up. Simply takes too much time to work them through the system. Alternatively, they can mandate that every age group change at one time and yes, there will be a year of confusion, team switching and Qualification questions. After that, no one will remember what the old age groups even looked like. Or so goes the theory. Friends will be left behind and new friends will be made.

To answer the question at hand, there have always been girls that play up. There are a number of valid reasons IMO to do so but historically, it is the exception and not the norm and it can be challenging on multiple levels. I understand that you do have the option to play up and some will opt to do so but very few make it with the same club / team all the way through so playing up to hang with your current older teammates would seem like an initial impulse that should be thought all the way through. Ultimately, I think the most will end up staying in their age bracket. I do have one so affected and she will be very unhappy to be losing the existing team but the reasons to play 06 outweigh the reason to play up at 05 for us.
Your reasons are all valid. The intensity level, commitment and expectations all increase dramatically after select. It is a completely different feel. You are committed as are your teammates and they will/ should hold you accountable. I see no developmental loss by playing another year of academy.
Please continue on with the discussion.
DDdad
DDdad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 24/08/15, 07:10 am

Good stuff, Sir!
DDdad wrote:So as it was explained to me.  The rest of the world plays Age Pure.  This creates various difficulties, real or perceived at the National Team Level for and teams that play internationally.  In order to alleviate those difficulties and align with the rest of the world, they decided to mandate Age Pure.   Why not Grandfather it?  Because by the time the current 06's get to be U16 -U23 which is the age at which all the issues really occur would be another 13 years to get it all aligned and cleaned up.   Simply takes too much time to work them through the system.  Alternatively, they can mandate that every age group change at one time and yes, there will be a year of confusion, team switching and Qualification questions.  After that, no one will remember what the old age groups even looked like.  Or so goes the theory.  Friends will be left behind and new friends will be made.  

To answer the question at hand, there have always been girls that play up.  There are a number of valid reasons IMO to do so but historically, it is the exception and not the norm and it can be challenging on multiple levels.  I understand that you do have the option to play up and some will opt to do so but very few make it with the same club / team all the way through so playing up to hang with your current older teammates would seem like an initial impulse that should be thought all the way through.  Ultimately, I think the most will end up staying in their age bracket.  I do have one so affected and she will be very unhappy to be losing the existing team but the reasons to play 06 outweigh the reason to play up at 05 for us.  
Your reasons are all valid.  The intensity level, commitment and expectations all increase dramatically after select.  It is a completely different feel.  You are committed as are your teammates and they will/ should hold you accountable.  I see no developmental loss by playing another year of academy.

Back to top Go down

Post by PLAY2FEET!! 24/08/15, 12:43 pm

DDdad wrote:So as it was explained to me.  The rest of the world plays Age Pure.  This creates various difficulties, real or perceived at the National Team Level for and teams that play internationally.  In order to alleviate those difficulties and align with the rest of the world, they decided to mandate Age Pure.   Why not Grandfather it?  Because by the time the current 06's get to be U16 -U23 which is the age at which all the issues really occur would be another 13 years to get it all aligned and cleaned up.   Simply takes too much time to work them through the system.  Alternatively, they can mandate that every age group change at one time and yes, there will be a year of confusion, team switching and Qualification questions.  After that, no one will remember what the old age groups even looked like.  Or so goes the theory.  Friends will be left behind and new friends will be made.  

To answer the question at hand, there have always been girls that play up.  There are a number of valid reasons IMO to do so but historically, it is the exception and not the norm and it can be challenging on multiple levels.  I understand that you do have the option to play up and some will opt to do so but very few make it with the same club / team all the way through so playing up to hang with your current older teammates would seem like an initial impulse that should be thought all the way through.  Ultimately, I think the most will end up staying in their age bracket.  I do have one so affected and she will be very unhappy to be losing the existing team but the reasons to play 06 outweigh the reason to play up at 05 for us.  
Your reasons are all valid.  The intensity level, commitment and expectations all increase dramatically after select.  It is a completely different feel.  You are committed as are your teammates and they will/ should hold you accountable.  I see no developmental loss by playing another year of academy.
In this instance, playing "up" doesn't necessarily mean what it did in the past. For Jan 06's, playing up means playing against girls 12 months older or less, where before, it meant playing against girls potentially 16 months older. And while the idea of playing 1 more year of academy is definitely intriguing, does it outweigh the benefits of playing against girls in your graduating class? After all, these are the girls that your DD will eventually be competing against for scholarships. Graduating class not AP. And if your DD decides not to play up now, then when? Each answer and situation is different for each player and family.

PLAY2FEET!!
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by AtThePitch 24/08/15, 12:57 pm

why dont august babies not do it more consistently now? They definetly won't be graduating with the same class as the September and younger kids...

I believe JM is quoted on here as saying if they are talented they will play up. What's the cutoff rule there.

Any kid born outside January is facing 13+ months in age difference. Mentally that's a tall hill to climb and for some physically that's a tall hill to climb.

My 9 year old is now just shy of 5ft tall, wears a size 8 men's shoe and is over 100lbs and she isn't an 05 birth year. Everyone has different challenges

Just like there weren't a ton of aug-Dec kids playing up before there won't be a ton of jan-July kids playing up in the future...

That will be reserved for your small percentage that absolutely should be....

Count yourself lucky cuz... your kid is probably one of those in the small percentage.
AtThePitch
AtThePitch
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by DDdad 24/08/15, 01:00 pm

My brain is not large enough to handle all the ramifications but you are correct that every family will answer differently.  My oldest DD plays on a team of 22.   They are ostensibly 2000's and 1999's and are U 16 '00's.  There are 6  AP 00's, 1 AP '01 and the rest are 99's.   Of that group, 5 are Juniors, 2 are Freshman and the remainder Sophomores.  Now, if you can make sense of that, you have thought about this way too much.
My youngest DD is July.  She just entered 3rd grade and is playing '06 with mostly 4th graders and I think a 5th grader or two.   All of her school (3rd grade) friends are '07's under the current alignment.

As for recruiting, our experience has been that we see a ton of coaches at U15, U16 and U17 games and it is made clear to each coach the graduating age of each player.  If you do what you are supposed to do (email, call, contact and invite) and your DD can play, she will be seen.
DDdad
DDdad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by AtThePitch 24/08/15, 01:08 pm

See, that all makes sense... when you are talking about u15 and up... post puberty... either they can play at the level or not... will an older player be more experienced of course... but mentally and physically there no longer such a huge gape.

That is not u7-u14 though... not at the top level of the sport.

Last edited by AtThePitch on 24/08/15, 02:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
AtThePitch
AtThePitch
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by DDdad 24/08/15, 01:13 pm

I don't disagree. That is exactly why I think that most will and should play their own age group. I don't think it will vary much from what happens now. If you have a kid that is dominating their age group, great, play them up to challenge them. For most of us, there is plenty of challenge in our own age group. Playing up to be with friends or in a graduation class is not enough reason IMO to subject the average or even good DD to the older kids. Scouts will find them and they will generally perform better with their age.
DDdad
DDdad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 24/08/15, 01:49 pm

SWINGIT!! wrote:

In this instance, playing "up" doesn't necessarily mean what it did in the past. For Jan 06's, playing up means playing against girls 12 months older or less, where before, it meant playing against girls potentially 16 months older. And while the idea of playing 1 more year of academy is definitely intriguing, does it outweigh the benefits of playing against girls in your graduating class? After all, these are the girls that your DD will eventually be competing against for scholarships. Graduating class not AP. And if your DD decides not to play up now, then when? Each answer and situation is different for each player and family.  

Save that $2k and let's go to the Junior Olympics 4x100 relay! It's in Houston next summer. Stars are aligned.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckycharms 01/09/15, 01:48 pm

When will they decide if the kids born in the first part of 2006 will be able to play up next fall in LHGCL/PPL?

Luckycharms
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 01/09/15, 03:56 pm

Luckycharms wrote:When will they decide if the kids born in the first part of 2006 will be able to play up next fall in LHGCL/PPL?

I was told there would be a vote in January, but that it's a done deal.

Back to top Go down

Post by FriscoSoccer2004 02/09/15, 07:42 am

Sho'nuff wrote:
Luckycharms wrote:When will they decide if the kids born in the first part of 2006 will be able to play up next fall in LHGCL/PPL?

Rumor I am hearing is that jan 06 thru July 06 will Not be allowed to play up.  Which makes sense. (you would have parents riding the fence to the very last minute and could put teams in jeopardy of not making for QT roster minimums).
FriscoSoccer2004
FriscoSoccer2004
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by AtThePitch 02/09/15, 08:04 am

FriscoSoccer05 wrote:
Sho'nuff wrote:

Rumor I am hearing is that jan 06 thru July 06 will Not be allowed to play up.  Which makes sense. (you would have parents riding the fence to the very last minute and could put teams in jeopardy of not making for QT roster minimums).

That would be a game changer for a few.
AtThePitch
AtThePitch
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 02/09/15, 08:16 am

AtThePitch wrote:
FriscoSoccer05 wrote:
Sho'nuff wrote:

That would be a game changer for a few.

This makes no sense and is unfair to the smaller clubs, so it will probably happen.

Back to top Go down

Post by Annica 02/09/15, 08:17 am

Current odds: 70/30 they abolish the rule.

It is a NTSSA-only rule. There is no corresponding rule in US Club or USYSA.

The whole point of these changes is uniformity. It should be abolished 1) because its arbitrary - only one age group has such a prohibition and US Soccer has stated capable players should play up and 2) there are and will be alternatives to a NTSSA-sanctioned league
Annica
Annica
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by PLAY2FEET!! 02/09/15, 08:18 am

FriscoSoccer05 wrote:
Sho'nuff wrote:

Did you hear that from Triumph FC? jocolor lol! lol!

PLAY2FEET!!
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 02/09/15, 08:20 am

Who is voting in January? NTSSA or Lake Highlands

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper 02/09/15, 08:33 am

SWINGIT!! wrote:
FriscoSoccer05 wrote:
Sho'nuff wrote:

Did you hear that from Triumph FC? jocolor lol! lol!

That made me laugh!  Well done!! Laughing

Piper
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next