North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
ECNL 04 Girls Week 3Yesterday at 08:09 pmdtk9119
FC Premier now forming Boys & Girls Juniors teams 2013-2015Yesterday at 07:58 pmMuc03b
FC Premier now forming Boys & Girls Juniors teams 2013-2015Yesterday at 07:41 pmMuc03b
FC Premier now forming Boys & Girls Juniors teams 2013-2015Yesterday at 07:35 pmMuc03b
05 TX Conference- Cabin Fever EditionYesterday at 07:06 pmCheckpoint Charlie
Adding players if interested 19/09/20, 10:08 pmbigred
Dual roster 19/09/20, 10:02 pmResidentOne
ECNL-0819/09/20, 07:52 pmcenTex
Top ‘07 NTX Boys Teams19/09/20, 01:35 pmCtrl Alt de Ligt
08G FDL Schedule18/09/20, 10:09 pm08GSoccerPRA
'11 B Looking for team - Richardson, Plano, Farmers Branch17/09/20, 02:28 pmCameronbrown15
ECNL Schedules17/09/20, 02:03 pmCheckpoint Charlie
Sting 11G's in Trophy Club looking for a few more players16/09/20, 01:32 pmSting Alliance
RISE8 FC 08G Looking to add a GOALKEEPER to complete ROSTER16/09/20, 11:57 amCccrushers
RISE8 FC 07G Looking to add a GOALKEEPER to complete ROSTER16/09/20, 08:10 amCccrushers
Still looking for a team? RISE8 FC 07G LHGC League & Futsal16/09/20, 06:46 amCccrushers
ECNL 04 Girls Week 215/09/20, 06:06 pmCheckpoint Charlie
07 ECNL15/09/20, 04:11 pmCheckpoint Charlie
MLS league 2008 boys15/09/20, 12:39 pmSoccermom2888
06 ECNL15/09/20, 12:05 pmCheckpoint Charlie
Renegades 2012G Central • Mendoza15/09/20, 07:02 amRenegades Soccer Club
Renegades Soccer Club 2013G’s Opportunity’s 15/09/20, 06:56 amRenegades Soccer Club
Renegades Soccer Club 2014/15G • Central Division15/09/20, 06:50 amRenegades Soccer Club
What is the most challeging road block you have encountered 14/09/20, 06:31 pmCheckpoint Charlie
TOURNAMENT: VETERAN HEROES CUP - Nov 13-15, 202014/09/20, 04:43 pmU90C

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

ECNL Age Pure Pixel
Statistics
We have 14514 registered users
The newest registered user is Jgregg

Our users have posted a total of 200176 messages in 29416 subjects

ECNL Age Pure

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

ECNL Age Pure Empty ECNL Age Pure

Post by SD69 on 26/08/15, 12:50 pm

Any thoughts on how ECNL and teams will implement age pure? Assuming ECNL goes age pure for Fall '16, I figure the Fall '02 born girls will be trying out for the vacated spots (Fall '01) on already formed '02 ECNL teams.

What about the calendar '03s? Will they be trying out this spring? Under the old system, the Jan-July '03s along with Aug-Dec '02s would be trying out next April. Will they now be waiting another year?
SD69
SD69
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

ECNL Age Pure Empty Re: ECNL Age Pure

Post by soccerman75 on 26/08/15, 12:57 pm

So how exactly does it work, if a girl is a true 01 birthday for example, would she then have he ability to play 01 again under age pure? I can't get my brain wrapped around this one just yet.

soccerman75
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SD69 on 26/08/15, 01:06 pm

With so many girls on each team, I would imagine it depended on where she stood on the team. If she was a Spring '01 and saw lots of PT, then I imagine she could play up with the same team who would now be '00s. If she saw limited minutes, I could see her playing with '01s since she would now be one of the older girls on the team, although it wouldn't be the same team.
SD69
SD69
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by tschlurker on 27/08/15, 03:47 pm

As to how it works, a kid currently playing 01 (U15) who was born in January 01 would remain a U15 (although it is a different U15 than this year, sort of U15 and a half).  Whether she would want to separate from the kids she has played with and do U15 over or progress to U16 is another question.  Will it make sense for the vast majority (i.e., non-national team caliber) players to delay going to U16? Or should they play "up" and face tougher competition. That seems the interesting question.

That same January 01 birthday U15 is likely now entering 9th grade.  If she played U15 again next year she would be playing with a lot of 9th graders again.  Is that the best way to prepare compete in HS and beyond?  Will college coaches expect first half of the year kids to play up if they can?  Will teams try to stay together and look like they do this year or will clubs try to make kids play pure age?  A lot of unknowns.

Last edited by tschlurker on 27/08/15, 05:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

tschlurker
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by AtThePitch on 27/08/15, 04:56 pm

Every kid between January 1 and Aug 31 would be in the same grade as said child..

That's 8 months...

Sept 1- dec 31 would be the lower grade would it not?
AtThePitch
AtThePitch
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by tschlurker on 27/08/15, 05:26 pm

The calendar calculations are headache inducing. But yes, at least a third of the kids she would play with in 2016-17 if she played U15 again would be a school year younger than her, and yes, those kids would be born in the last 4 months of 01. She would not get to play with the September-December 00 kids she has historically played with unless she goes U16. If she is a solid player, I am not sure why she (and many others born in the first half of 01) would not just go U16. My guess is next level coaches would promote that.

tschlurker
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by AtThePitch on 27/08/15, 05:28 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but a third is smaller than two thirds, correct... and that's saying the younger ones made the team.
AtThePitch
AtThePitch
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by jae on 27/08/15, 05:46 pm

Just a guess...  Most teams will remain intact for the following reasons:

1. Most starters will remain with their current team regardless of their birth month (why would they "play down"?)
2. In general, for most teams, I suspect that there are more "older" (Sept-Dec birth months) than there are "younger" (Jan-Aug birth months) players.  So, even if they are not starting, they do not have the option of "playing down".
3.  Non-starting "younger" players have the option of "playing down" and are likely to look around.  But they are likely to look for options even if the "age pure" changes were not being implemented.

Net-net, I do not think this will have much impact to current U14, U15, and U16 teams.  There will be much more impact to U12, U13 and U17 teams depending on how ECNL decides to handle the transition.

Last edited by jae on 27/08/15, 05:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

jae
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by tschlurker on 27/08/15, 05:47 pm

Wow, thanks for the math help.  Not sure I understand the point you are trying to make -- unless you are trying to say that I should not have said "a lot" of 9th graders in the OP.  Good for you if that's the case.
That January 01 kid playing U15 again would be a tenth grader potentially playing with at least some 9th graders.  The January 01 kid's team potentially needs a third of its team replenished if it tries to stay together at U15.  The good players in that September-December 01 cohort will make good teams.  The January 01 kid can't play with her September-December 00 friends unless she plays up.

The real issue: do you think the January 01 kid -- assuming she is a starter/solid player -- should still play U15 again if she can make a U16 team?   I imagine the answer could be different for ECNL versus LH, and age will be a factor.

tschlurker
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by AtThePitch on 27/08/15, 06:12 pm

At the ages you all are looking at its almost a non factor to the player and parent in my opinion. 9th graders play seniors in high school ball... it's a matter of coachs preferable if the jan kid is better than his older April kid as an example...

Younger ages is very different.
AtThePitch
AtThePitch
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by SD69 on 27/08/15, 07:39 pm

What age groups will be trying out this spring for the first time? Normally it would be Fall '02-Spring '03s (current 03 age group). Will Fall '03 (current 04 age group) be trying out with the rest of the Spring '03s or will just the Fall '02 be trying out joining existing '02 age groups.

drunken drunken drunken
SD69
SD69
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by outonthelimb on 27/08/15, 11:27 pm

I've analyzed, over analyzed and then reanalyzed this age pure thing then it hit me like a rock.  Just K.I.S.S (keep it simple...stupid).  This is all much ado about nothing if you step back and look at it.

99.999% of the players:  Play with your graduating class as the college coaches would like to evaluate you against the other girls they would be handing out scholarships to during that graduating year.  Double bonus...this is where most of your friends are playing anyway.

00.001% of the players (...the ones the national team coaches have specifically suggested to play up):  Play up like the coaches suggested.  The college coaches know who you are and really don't need to evaluate you because the national team has already said you are good enough.  Btw, you likely gave up playing with your classmates many years ago. They (and you) know that you are already on a different program.

Just because US Soccer changed the rules on us doesn't mean we have to change plan if those plans are within the rules.

Hence forth when I hear "age pure" I will translate it to "play with your graduating class"
outonthelimb
outonthelimb
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by GoalMouth on 28/08/15, 07:41 am

outonthelimb wrote:I've analyzed, over analyzed and then reanalyzed this age pure thing then it hit me like a rock.  Just K.I.S.S (keep it simple...stupid)...  

...Hence forth when I hear "age pure" I will translate it to "play with your graduating class"

If it were only that simple. Neither of the age methods boils down to all girls playing with their graduating class. In fact age pure will push more players away from that...if you are talking about trying to relate HS soccer to Club or ECNL soccer.

Here is my opinion of Age Pure - 02s are still 02s and 03s are still 03s. All tryouts and qualifications are the same as they are today across the clubs and leagues.

The shift is that there will no longer be any 02 birth year girls on a 03 team. This pushes Aug - December 02 birthdays found in the 03 school class to play with those girls in the higher 02 grade. So the younger girls from the grade lower shift up across every year bracket. What were the youngest on the team now become the oldest and oldest become youngest in the next age bracket up. - the good news is that if your daughter plays 03 but is born in 02...she is already qualified to be on the 02 ECNL team. The bad news is that tryouts were last spring. Then good news again, next year on the 02 team (or whatever team) there will be plenty of vacancies because of the girls that were pushed up to the next team from that team.

My daughter is an 03 school year but she was born in 02. For ODP (age pure) she had to tryout and play for the 02 team. Same now with ECNL or club. She will not play club or ECNL with her HS graduating class any longer. But she will still play HS soccer with her graduating class.

As for the belief that all 02 girls coming from 03 teams will play just fine on 02 teams and that the strong will still be strong and the weak will be still be weak...I see a shift where those older 02 players on a 03 team may have to settle for a lower bracket team as the shift in dynamics might not produce a great tryout for the team of their choice. Playing with school girls a year ahead of their grade their social maturity might not bode well with girls from the grade above them. (Why is it that some older girls can seem from below to be so mean? Not to mention the drop in killer instinct replaced by the new need for social acceptance...but I digress) There is also a faster pace of play for every year that you advance so some girls moving up might struggle a bit with increasing their pace of play as quickly as the next coach expects.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.  When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.  I wrote down ‘happy’.  They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life.” by John Lennon
GoalMouth
GoalMouth
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by outonthelimb on 28/08/15, 01:08 pm

I fear you may have missed my point.

1. I agree with you and understand what US soccer would like to happen (i.e. toss graduation class out of the window)

2. However my point is parents should just do what is in most cases best for their daughter which is to play with her classmates. This doesn't meet the spirit of what US soccer intended but it is completely within the rules that they've set forth.

In summary

an '03 birth year who is in 7th grade should play '02 Age pure next year with her 8th grade classmates. The '02 birth year who are in 7th grade will be playing '02 age pure / 8th grade next year by rule anyway

an '02 birth year who is in 8th grade should play '01 Age pure next year with her 9th grade classmates. The '01 birth year who are in 8th grade will be playing '01 age pure / 9th grade next year by rule anyway

etc etc

The net effect is that you have exactly the same scenario as we have today but the age group names have just changed. What we know of today as '03s (which is predominately 7th graders) will just be called '02s next year instead of '03s.

outonthelimb
outonthelimb
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by tschlurker on 28/08/15, 01:12 pm

Back to the 03 question asked by the original poster, it appears that unless ECNL adds U13, birth year 03s will have to play up to play in ECNL next year.

The matrix indicates that birth year age groups next year will retain the age designation of school year age groups this year. For example, 98s this year (born 8/97 through 7/98) are U18, and next year all 98 birth year kids will be U18. From the matrix, next year 02 birth year kids will be U14, currently the youngest ECNL age group.

ECNL likes to make money so adding a U13 league may be likely.

tschlurker
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by GoalMouth on 28/08/15, 02:17 pm

outonthelimb wrote:I fear you may have missed my point.

I admit, I did miss your point. Embarassed Thank you for the clarification.

I like the thought of just pushing back by everyone on every team playing up. If everyone bought in you would have all the same teams as you have today.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.  When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.  I wrote down ‘happy’.  They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life.” by John Lennon
GoalMouth
GoalMouth
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 28/08/15, 02:22 pm

outonthelimb wrote:I fear you may have missed my point.

1.  I agree with you and understand what US soccer would like to  happen (i.e.  toss graduation class out of the window)

2.  However my point is parents should just do what is in most cases best for their daughter which is to play with her classmates.  This doesn't meet the spirit of what US soccer intended but it is completely within the rules that they've set forth.

In summary

an '03 birth year who is in 7th grade should play '02 Age pure next year with her 8th grade classmates.  The '02 birth year who are in 7th grade will be playing '02 age pure / 8th grade next year by rule anyway

an '02 birth year who is in 8th grade should play '01 Age pure next year with her 9th grade classmates.  The '01 birth year who are in 8th grade will be playing '01 age pure / 9th grade next year by rule anyway

etc etc

The net effect is that you have exactly the same scenario as we have today but the age group names have just changed.  What we know of today as '03s (which is predominately 7th graders) will just be called '02s next year instead of '03s.

That won't be dictated by the parents, that will be dictated by the clubs.  All it will take is for ONE club to decide that they want to put together the most competitive calendar year age group teams by moving the majority of their Jan-July birthdays down an age group.  If they are successful in doing so from a W/L standpoint, all of the other clubs will follow.  

Let's say your little Mia is a Feb. birthday.  And she is currently one of the 15 best players at her club born between her birthday in Feb., and the preceding August.  HOWEVER, what if she is NOT one of the 15 best players at her club born between her birthday in Feb., and the preceding JANUARY, and the club decides to drop all of those players into her age group.  Suddenly, she goes from being an ECNL starter, to an ECNL bench player (or maybe not even on the roster).  Will you put little Mia on an LHGCL D1 team so that she can continue to play with her classmates, or will you also drop her down an age group where she can be in the top 15 of the ECNL team, but may have 5-10 teammates that aren't in her grade at school?

My point is that your logic is correct, but that it won't be the logical parents that are dictating how this falls out.  It will be the coaches/DOC's of the ECNL clubs, and the parents that are still driven in part by being on the team that wins the most, vs. the team that has the most kids in the same grade as their own.

I personally think you will see the ECNL teams align along calendar year lines faster than you will see the LHGCL teams do so (especially in U15 and older). Primarily because ECNL teams don't have to worry about keeping byes or N+1 as you go from one year to the next. They can simply decide to reshuffle along the new age group guidelines at tryouts next years and will pick the best roster of 20-24 that are available within the new age group boundaries. If a club decides not to do it next year, and gets smoked as a result, they will follow suit quickly enough.

Back to top Go down

Post by GoalMouth on 28/08/15, 02:34 pm

tschlurker wrote:Back to the 03 question asked by the original poster, it appears that unless ECNL adds U13, birth year 03s will have to play up to play in ECNL next year.

The matrix indicates that birth year age groups next year will retain the age designation of school year age groups this year.  For example, 98s this year (born 8/97 through 7/98) are U18, and next year all 98 birth year kids will be U18.  From the matrix, next year 02 birth year kids will be U14, currently the youngest ECNL age group.

ECNL likes to make money so adding a U13 league may be likely.

Aren't 03's U13 this year and U14 next year?  You're referring to the US soccer age pure chart right?  

I find it confusing as this year's soccer season is 2015/2016.  I believe they refer to 2016 as the current year we are in or when it ends.  So in 2016 02's are U14 (14 and under).  So in the season ending in first half of 2017 - 03's will be U14.

Anyone else read it that way?

I have a great idea - let's go soccer season 'year pure' so the charts are easier to read. :-|

Last edited by GoalMouth on 28/08/15, 03:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition)

GoalMouth
GoalMouth
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tschlurker on 28/08/15, 03:04 pm

Don't think the chart can be read that way. http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/assets/1/15/USYS-NEW-SOCCER-AGE-CHART-2016-BIRTH-YEAR-MATRIX%20v1.pdf
The rows labeled down the left side are birth years and the columns across the top are soccer seasons, in a format (for example) 2016-2017. The cell for a particular birth year and season read U18, U17 etc., indicating the age group for a kid with a particular birth year in a particular season.

The first season column is labeled 2016-2017(i.e. the season starting after tryouts next June ending in the first half of 2017). Looking at the birth years, in the 2016-2017 season 1998s are deemed to be U18, 99s are U17, 00s are U16, 01s are U15, 02s are U14, and 03s are U13, etc.

Again, everyone in a particular school year age group this year stays in the same birth year age group next year (for example 03s - kids born from 8/04 through 7/03 - are U13 this year, and birth year 03s are U13 next year).

It almost had to be done that way. If it went the other direction as suggested (and 03s went from U13 to U14), 98 birth year would become U19. Current 99 players born in last 4 months of 98 would become U19 and would lose their last year of ECNL. Don't see that happening.

tschlurker
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by outonthelimb on 28/08/15, 03:12 pm

TSC lurker -  this one really is that simple.  If your '03 born 7th grader doesn't play ECNL next year with her graduating class then she could be at a significant disadvantage if her goal is to play major division 1 soccer (i realize this isn't every girls goal).  Why?

1.  She will have 1 less year of ECNL.  She will play ECNL for 4 years (9th, 10th, 11th, 12th grades) instead of 5 (8-12th) grade.  

2.  Additionally she will be competing against girls that are a graduating class behind so if she isn't dominating then it is likely that her path is definitely D2 or below.  I believe this point is way more important than point #1.  I have a u16 '00 ECNL player ('99 birth year, sophomore) and I'm very aware of several of her teammates and competitors parents who are playing the same age group but are Juniors (effectively playing down a grade but yet with their age group per current soccer rules) and to a man/woman they say they wish they had put their daughter with her graduating class when she was u12 or below because it is tough (not impossible) to get high quality attention from recruiters because she missed a year of visibility and is playing down a class.  It is too hard (not impossible) to make the leap up to your graduating class during ECNL ages as the speed and level of play is just so much faster.  It would take them a year to adjust and that year of adjustment would be during the prime soccer recruiting years (9th and 10th grade).  While most of the Juniors (c/o 2017) on the top 2-3 u17 Texas ECNL conference teams have commitments, there is only c/o 2017 player who plays u16 that is committed (1 out of 15), that player happens to be a keeper.

Just a thought.
outonthelimb
outonthelimb
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccersounder on 28/08/15, 04:20 pm

tschlurker wrote:Don't think the chart can be read that way.  http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/assets/1/15/USYS-NEW-SOCCER-AGE-CHART-2016-BIRTH-YEAR-MATRIX%20v1.pdf
The rows labeled down the left side are birth years and the columns across the top are soccer seasons, in a format (for example) 2016-2017.  The cell for a particular birth year and season read U18, U17 etc., indicating the age group for a kid with a particular birth year in a particular season.

The first season column is labeled 2016-2017(i.e. the season starting after tryouts next June ending in the first half of 2017).   Looking at the birth years, in the 2016-2017 season 1998s are deemed to be U18, 99s are U17, 00s are U16, 01s are U15, 02s are U14, and 03s are U13, etc.

Again, everyone in a particular school year age group this year stays in the same birth year age group next year (for example 03s - kids born from 8/04 through 7/03 - are U13 this year, and birth year 03s are U13 next year).

It almost had to be done that way.  If it went the other direction as suggested (and 03s went from U13 to U14), 98 birth year would become U19.  Current 99 players born in last 4 months of 98 would become U19 and would lose their last year of ECNL.  Don't see that happening.  

There was NO choice......?? Amazing how far this has gone... it just changes to a birth calendar that is already in place around the world... No one was ever going to lose anything......
soccersounder
soccersounder
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccersounder on 28/08/15, 04:59 pm

outonthelimb wrote:TSC lurker -  this one really is that simple.  If your '03 born 7th grader doesn't play ECNL next year with her graduating class then she could be at a significant disadvantage if her goal is to play major division 1 soccer (i realize this isn't every girls goal).  Why?

1.  She will have 1 less year of ECNL.  She will play ECNL for 4 years (9th, 10th, 11th, 12th grades) instead of 5 (8-12th) grade.  

2.  Additionally she will be competing against girls that are a graduating class behind so if she isn't dominating then it is likely that her path is definitely D2 or below.  I believe this point is way more important than point #1.  I have a u16 '00 ECNL player ('99 birth year, sophomore) and I'm very aware of several of her teammates and competitors parents who are playing the same age group but are Juniors (effectively playing down a grade but yet with their age group per current soccer rules) and to a man/woman they say they wish they had put their daughter with her graduating class when she was u12 or below because it is tough (not impossible) to get high quality attention from recruiters because she missed a year of visibility and is playing down a class.  It is too hard (not impossible) to make the leap up to your graduating class during ECNL ages as the speed and level of play is just so much faster.  It would take them a year to adjust and that year of adjustment would be during the prime soccer recruiting years (9th and 10th grade).  While most of the Juniors (c/o 2017) on the top 2-3 u17 Texas ECNL conference teams have commitments, there is only c/o 2017 player who plays u16 that is committed (1 out of 15), that player happens to be a keeper.

Just a thought.

My Man, your opinion is coming through as a matter of fact.... While it is ONLY a blurred opinion... I'm sure it makes sense to you, but you are just wrong, except for one point. And that is most "parents" believe you should play up....

Besides the top 5 or so percent that can write their own ticket on the girls side, the college coaches ONLY look at Graduation Year, as that is what the NCAA rules apply to... I do not know where you got your 00 Class of 17 info, but of the 99 ECNL Seniors, ALL but one have committed...

But let's deal with what the college coaches say.. And this IS fact: I asked this straight up question to the HC's  at Baylor, Mizzou, UTEP, Kansas, and San Diego St. None of them hesitated... Every Coach prefers their recruits to play with the Junior year team if possible age wise and not the Senior year team, as the Junior year is important and the level of play is high. Compared to the Senior year, specifically ECNL, where everyone is already committed, Proms, Grad Nights, etc... Besides.. Even if you play up.., Specifically in ECNL, aside from National Team players, everyone comes back to age for the Junior year.. Many examples to show if needed right now... Sorry but the reality is that the college coaches in Women's soccer have to cast a very wide net in recruiting. They don't look at the details of of each team... They go to the teams they know... in DFW, that is (at the moment anyway) on the girls side, Sting, Texans and Feet... And then they depend on the Club Coaches they know....

If anything, Age Pure will take away a bit from the Sleepy Senior year, as many of the Seniors will be U17... And that will be good for everyone... The reality is that to keep the confusion as low as possible, I'm sure the Clubs will, to a degree, keep the teams together as they are during the change... But when you look how the U18s will be affected year one, that will be easier said than done and trickle down to the lower ages. In 3 years things will be very normal (are the Boys Academy still complaining??? crickets, lol).. Playing up will be as rare as it is now.... No one is going to get an "extra" year of ECNL.. Club soccer ends at HS Graduation... Keep it simple people....
soccersounder
soccersounder
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by RightWingDad on 28/08/15, 05:39 pm

Maybe you could advise your kid to fail a grade to get that extra year in ECNL. But because your grades are not top notch college choices would be limited, but who cares. You could go straight to the U20 WNT. A few world cups later and lots of endorsements, who needs college anyway?

How 'bout that for a plan?
RightWingDad
RightWingDad
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by outonthelimb on 30/08/15, 09:47 am

soccersounder wrote:
outonthelimb wrote:TSC lurker -  this one really is that simple.  If your '03 born 7th grader doesn't play ECNL next year with her graduating class then she could be at a significant disadvantage if her goal is to play major division 1 soccer (i realize this isn't every girls goal).  Why?

Just a thought.

My Man, your opinion is coming through as a matter of fact.... While it is ONLY a blurred opinion... I'm sure it makes sense to you, but you are just wrong, except for one point. And that is most "parents" believe you should play up....

Besides the top 5 or so percent that can write their own ticket on the girls side, the college coaches ONLY look at Graduation Year, as that is what the NCAA rules apply to... I do not know where you got your 00 Class of 17 info, but of the 99 ECNL Seniors, ALL but one have committed...

But let's deal with what the college coaches say.. And this IS fact: I asked this straight up question to the HC's  at Baylor, Mizzou, UTEP, Kansas, and San Diego St. None of them hesitated... Every Coach prefers their recruits to play with the Junior year team if possible age wise and not the Senior year team, as the Junior year is important and the level of play is high. Compared to the Senior year, specifically ECNL, where everyone is already committed, Proms, Grad Nights, etc... Besides.. Even if you play up.., Specifically in ECNL, aside from National Team players, everyone comes back to age for the Junior year.. Many examples to show if needed right now... Sorry but the reality is that the college coaches in Women's soccer have to cast a very wide net in recruiting. They don't look at the details of of each team... They go to the teams they know... in DFW, that is (at the moment anyway) on the girls side, Sting, Texans and Feet... And then they depend on the Club Coaches they know....

If anything, Age Pure will take away a bit from the Sleepy Senior year, as many of the Seniors will be U17... And that will be good for everyone... The reality is that to keep the confusion as low as possible, I'm sure the Clubs will, to a degree, keep the teams together as they are during the change... But when you look how the U18s will be affected year one, that will be easier said than done and trickle down to the lower ages. In 3 years things will be very normal (are the Boys Academy still complaining??? crickets, lol).. Playing up will be as rare as it is now.... No one is going to get an "extra" year of ECNL.. Club soccer ends at HS Graduation... Keep it simple people....

Hmmm...you say I am wrong and then you agree with me?!? scratch

Outonthelimb: If your '03 born 7th grader doesn't play ECNL next year with her graduating class then she could be at a significant disadvantage if her goal is to play major division 1 soccer  -  ummm that point and my entire write up in #2 is about college coaches looking and caring about your graduation year.

SoccerSounder:  Besides the top 5 or so percent that can write their own ticket on the girls side, the college coaches ONLY look at Graduation Year, as that is what the NCAA rules apply to

I could just stop there but I won't.

The next point is just completely contradictory ...pick a position please.  Here you state that the coaches cast a wide net and then go on to show how narrow the net is.  For the record I agree with your initial statement that the coaches cast a wide net PERIOD.  If you can play and you are in ECNL then they will find you and depend on their own eyes not the eyes of an ECNL coach.

SoccerSounder:  college coaches in Women's soccer have to cast a very wide net in recruiting. They don't look at the details of of each team... They go to the teams they know... in DFW, that is (at the moment anyway) on the girls side, Sting, Texans and Feet... And then they depend on the Club Coaches they know....

This next one...

SoccerSounder: I do not know where you got your 00 Class of 17 info, but of the 99 ECNL Seniors, ALL but one have committed...

My "facts" from the 00 age group come from my knowledge of the age group.  It doesn't cheapen your knowledge of the 99 age group although because you've tripped over yourself agreeing with me while trying to disagree with me and contradicting yourself I'm not so sure "I" would trust what you say about the '99s seniors.

So I did a little research--- simply clicking on the names of each girl on the '99/u17 roster of the 5 NTX clubs.  You said "ALL" of the u17 seniors (c/o 2016) are committed! Here are the facts (at least the ones from the pages those parents have completed for ECNL).

Number of '99 ecnl u17 c/o 2016 seniors:  5 (1-FCD, 3-Feet, 1-Solar)
Number of u17 c/o 2016 seniors that are committed:  1-Feet to UTEP
Interesting factoid:  1 of the 5 seniors has been playing w/ her graduating class until this year presumably because she isn't committed and thus want to play in front of more coaches by playing with predominately juniors '99 u17 ECNL as the u18 group gets basically no college coach participation because those girls are already committed.

So in the end you agree with me even if you don't want to  Laughing

US Soccer says "Age Pure"...the parents should translate that for themselves to mean "play with your graduation class...if you can"
outonthelimb
outonthelimb
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SkeetsG06 on 31/08/15, 01:36 pm

In 7 years of NTX forum posting whether Turfmonster or the current forum, this is the most confusion group of posts I have ever read.

OOL and I are really, really good friends...and we normally agree on most soccer related topics. I don't think I know Soccer Sounder.

My 0 cents is I think both of you make good points. Here is my perspective:

My overall, POV is AP will be option of choice as time passes. During the transition to AP, decisions will vary based on child's ability and their age in the youth soccer cycle.
1) Academy decision will be easy to choose AP fairly quickly.
-In Academy, playing AP will be the preferred route quickly b/c clubs will want the biggest, fastest, and most developed kids which will most likely be the older kids. This is not a new fact. Read the book, "Outlier".
-Younger kids that are truly exceptional, which is rare, will be obvious and will almost be forced to play up at some pt.

2) Kids in Transition from Academy to Select:
-The 5 ECNL Clubs will want the teams to convert to AP.
-Smaller Clubs will choose according to the make up of the age of the players on their team.
-All clubs will initially go along with whatever the parents want to avoid losing them. As such, most kids will attempt to play up, but will quickly realize, the 12 to 18 month age advantage is too much for their dd. The dd will end up age pure.
-Parents, Jan-July, will find the advantage of the AP system will help them in ODP, US training CTR, id2, etc. The kids will have had the optimum chance to reach their potential. These kids will not miss out on recruiting b/c they will get college exposure thru ODP, US training CTR, id2, etc. When the college coaches start recruiting their grades they will also have to look at the AP over time b/c graduating classes will overlap age groups.
-Parents, in Aug-July, will find happiness based on their childs ability. If the child is good, they will be fine. If the child is average, they will hate the transition.

3) Transition from select to ECNL
-IMO the decision varies on age group.
-U16 and above, will stay with graduating class b/c the dd have already committed or they are in the midst of recruiting now and will most likely commit by the end of U16 season.
-U15 ECNL players now should stay with that group and move to U16. It is easy stay, b/c U16 will be peak recruiting for your graduating class AND I think college coaches will still be confused on which group to scout.
-U14 ECNL players will depend on your ability. If you are a starter but not national team caliber stay graduating. If you THINK there is potential to make id2, US training Ctr, etc. play AP.
-U13 Switch to AP to optimize potential for national team/pool exposure. Stay with current team if you don't want national team and are good enough to start playing up.

Whew, I am dropping the mic! Peace

SkeetsG06
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum