North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

A little advice for GU11 and GU12 parents Pixel
Statistics
We have 15030 registered users
The newest registered user is Bsunccgrd

Our users have posted a total of 203376 messages in 30802 subjects

A little advice for GU11 and GU12 parents

Go down

A little advice for GU11 and GU12 parents Empty A little advice for GU11 and GU12 parents

Post by FriscoSoccer2004 11/02/16, 04:32 pm

Ran across this on another forum and felt it was definitely worth passing on to NTX

Here is a little advice that might help you and more importantly your daughter survive this long journey and still love it like she is 10. U12 was the key year for my player deciding that she wanted to be a player that played in college.

1. Celebrate the victories with her, console her after the losses but never forget it's just fun. You won't remember that many game scores but she will remember that you were on her side.

2. Start skills training no later than this year. No matter what position she plays now or whether she is the best player on her team or the worst to play at the highest level requires a good first touch and skill on the ball.

3. Watch women's and men's soccer with her. It gives you another thing to bond over and she can see what is possible.

4. Make sure she plays multiple positions. This one is simple. Versatility is valuable and the position she plays at 11 might be significantly different than what she plays at 16 or what she is recruited to play.

5. Pick the coach first and the club second. Certain coaches will focus on improving your player and projecting what they will turn into. Some coaches only care about winning and/or their resume. Certain clubs get kids into college. It is as simple as that.

6. Ask your kid every year if she really wants to play. This one sounds weird but it reminds them and you that this whole thing is about them.

7. Make sure school is number 1. Having good grades opens up more college options for your player and allows them the ability to get additional money.

8. Focus on your player getting better every week not on the wins and losses. Not once was my daughter asked about how good her team was at U12 or how many tournaments she won. Don't lose focus on your players development.

9. Get her in a position to be showcased at U16. Whether that means a team team change at U15 or U12. Make sure that the club she is on when most of the action happens has a record of putting players in college.

10. Once she is committed the hard work really starts. Most coaches are committing kids based upon a projection of where they will be at 18-23 years old. Kids that get committed and stop working usually end up quitting soccer because they end up riding the pine.
FriscoSoccer2004
FriscoSoccer2004
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

A little advice for GU11 and GU12 parents Empty Re: A little advice for GU11 and GU12 parents

Post by ricnbontx 17/02/16, 04:46 pm

Thanks for sharing.
ricnbontx
ricnbontx
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

A little advice for GU11 and GU12 parents Empty Re: A little advice for GU11 and GU12 parents

Post by Hersoccerdad 21/02/16, 12:36 pm

Good advice. Thanks!

Hersoccerdad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by WisdomTeeth 19/03/16, 05:18 pm

Amen. Just read this to my daughter. cheers
WisdomTeeth
WisdomTeeth
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum