North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
>!<JOIN ILLUMINATI IN UGANDA KAMPALA +2767271614024/03/24, 08:49 amyunuko
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 12:00 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

let your players rest! - Page 3 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15800 registered users
The newest registered user is Yuna

Our users have posted a total of 205174 messages in 31963 subjects

let your players rest!

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

let your players rest! - Page 3 Empty Re: let your players rest!

Post by soccerjack 14/07/16, 08:38 pm

jogobonito06 wrote:

Can someone send the cliffs notes on this?

Sure:

"In order to develop a Soccer Athlete to their fullest potential, you have to start with a superior ATHLETE.  Otherwise, you can do everything on the list and it still won't get her past making her HS team."[/quote]

Shhhhhh!!!  An entire industry will come crashing down if that secret gets out.[/quote]
M

Sooo taking your slow kid to speed and agility training won't make her faster and more agile? This is a bunch of bs....If I spend $10k a year, my kid should be a lock on the uswnt. I'd of been a professional athlete had my parents spent the money.

soccerjack
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerjack 14/07/16, 08:49 pm

Teufel Hunden wrote:The list is fantastic!! I will try to not deviating too much from the main topic (Let players rest!!); I think that the list brings up to light in a general context what is needed to really become, in this case a soccer athlete. As it is stated in this thread and others, it is not for everyone, hence the existence of many levels of play from REC to ECNL and soon DA. The discipline and commitment requirements in many cases are not well understood by players and families and commitments rise as the competition rises.

We can always discuss which coaches develop and which don't, and what coach is successful by recruiting the right players and cutting less performing players. However, like most things in life, you need to do your part and not solely rely on your coach. The belief that you will become a standout player in this era with only practicing 2 or 3 times a week are very slim if the goal is to participate at the highest level of play possible. There is a point where it is no longer to "play", it is to "compete". In order to compete, the player needs to dedicate more time on getting ready to "compete" at every drill of every practice. How do you do that? In a general sense, follow the list.

As I mentioned earlier, this list has the potential to branch out into many other subjects such as time, money, whether it is worth it, overwork, wanting to play multiple sports, etc. And these may be discussed, but that it is why it is not for everyone. This not only applies to soccer, it applies to all other sports at the higher levels.

The supporting activities that the list reflects such as futsal (and other forms of soccer training), performance based training (speed and agility. plyometrics and yoga training to name a few) are regular scheduled activities on top of the club soccer training sessions. It is a hard pill to swallow but it is not a secret. It is not hard to find out who is doing what to improve. Just visit some of the establishments that offer performance based training and other places that offer private  / group soccer clinics and you will find many players mostly from the top teams / clubs getting additional training. If you talk to any of them, you will also find out that they have been doing extra supporting work for several years (of course depending on the age of the player) which will explain why these players have improved and keep improving their play.

So as far as taking time off, it is imperative that time is programed for your soccer athlete. Every player has different needs and objectives therefore it is done on an individual basis.

The most important is whether your soccer player / athlete wants the commitment or not. If the goal is to play at the highest possible level, the player needs to commit to work beyond what it is required to excel, but I am sure you already know that because it is applicable to most things in life.

Are there a bunch of 12 yr old girls out there that know they want to compete at the highest level now? I thought I should be qb for the Cowboys at that age....never happened....,probably because my parents wouldn't pay for speed and agility training.
soccerjack
soccerjack
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Dec2020 14/07/16, 08:54 pm

IMO, natural athleticism is an obvious component, but the will to win and determination to be the best can even trump athleticism. When you have both, then you have the superstar.

Dec2020
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerjack 14/07/16, 08:58 pm

Dec2020 wrote:IMO, natural athleticism is an obvious component, but the will to win and determination to be the best can even trump athleticism. When you have both, then you have the superstar.

Agree...my point is there are too many parents that don't understand their own kid enough to see that.
soccerjack
soccerjack
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Handled 15/07/16, 08:05 am

I have a question that is stupid, so it is perfect for an anonymous forum like this . . .

Why is the obsession "the development of the player"? What are we "developing" them for? I think we all agree that 98% of our DD's will be done with soccer after high school. So is that what we are developing them for? In contrast, the value of learning about the concept of the "team" is actually something they can use the rest of their lives. So, if that means you sit on the bench for the betterment of the collective team, isn't that a reality our DD's need to come to grips with so they can be productive and well-adjusted adults?

If it truly is just about the individual and her "development", why play a team sport?

I am off to drive the car behind my DD while she runs 10 miles in the heat. You know, because I love her . . .

Handled
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15/07/16, 08:18 am

Handled wrote:I have a question that is stupid, so it is perfect for an anonymous forum like this . . .

Why is the obsession "the development of the player"?  What are we "developing" them for?  I think we all agree that 98% of our DD's will be done with soccer after high school.  So is that what we are developing them for?  In contrast, the value of learning about the concept of the "team" is actually something they can use the rest of their lives.  So, if that means you sit on the bench for the betterment of the collective team, isn't that a reality our DD's need to come to grips with so they can be productive and well-adjusted adults?  

If it truly is just about the individual and her "development", why play a team sport?  

I am off to drive the car behind my DD while she runs 10 miles in the heat.  You know, because I love her  . . .

Hi, Coach!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15/07/16, 08:55 am

newbiefornow...really an excellent list. We've tried to do everything on that list at one time or another for our kid. Two things not on the list that, in my humble opinion, are more important than all of them:

1) Nuture your dd's passion for the game. They have to truly love it to be making those sorts of commitments. It can't feel like all work, and it can't be the parent always pushing this long list of things to do in the game. Joy has to sustain them. (Teammates matter!)

2) Free, unstructured playing contributes to #1, and is more important IMO than anything else. Their time with the ball without any coaching at all should far exceed time with coaches or trainers present. Futsal is a fantastic tool (IMO), but if you aren't careful we parents can turn futsal into yet another stressful competition.

Put them on indoor teams and let them coach themselves. Find pickups. Find coaches who encourage and support unstructured playing for their players. My DD didn't do nearly enough of this, but during periods when she did, her progress seemed effortless.

I know a player who has always done this, and still does this at u15.

Watch her play today and she is nowhere near the biggest, fastest or most athletic, but she stands out right away as the smartest soccer player on the field most every time she plays. IF I were a betting man, she will accomplish more in the game than all the more highly touted athletic players for that simple reason. She loves the game and plays to express herself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 15/07/16, 09:27 am

Yes, more coaches need to sit down shut up and remember who is out their playing the game.

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty 15/07/16, 10:41 am

Handled wrote:I have a question that is stupid, so it is perfect for an anonymous forum like this . . .

Why is the obsession "the development of the player"?  What are we "developing" them for?  I think we all agree that 98% of our DD's will be done with soccer after high school.  So is that what we are developing them for?  In contrast, the value of learning about the concept of the "team" is actually something they can use the rest of their lives.  So, if that means you sit on the bench for the betterment of the collective team, isn't that a reality our DD's need to come to grips with so they can be productive and well-adjusted adults?  

I am off to drive the car behind my DD while she runs 10 miles in the heat.  You know, because I love her  . . .

Thanks you for your perspective Bernie!

Please stress that with your children as it will make it easier in life for mine to get ahead.

Lefty
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Teufel Hunden 15/07/16, 11:19 am

4-3-3...I agree 100% with your points. As I tried to convey in my earlier post; the "newbiefornow list" was to be referenced in a "general context". The intention was to attemp to provide and convey that there is more required than just attending your daughter's regular club practices if you want to improve your game.

What I failed to communicate were some basic assumptions such as your daughter's passion for the game and willing to accept that this is a process (and sacrifices) that is not accomplished overnight. It requires consistency for long periods of time, and the results take time to take part and reflect on your daughter's game. It simply becomes part of your preparation in route in becoming the best player you can be. Once again, as 4-3-3 stated, by really learning the game with structured and unstructured soccer activities on a consistent basis, at the end your daughter will be the better overall player.

An earlier poster indicated if there were any 12 year olds that knew they want to compete at the highest level....the answer is yes. The "process" that I am referring to above starts at an early age. A great percentage of players drop out at 12 years old, so as a parent you identify early enough whether your daughter is interested in the game or not or her interests are elsewhere. Repeating myself from my earlier post; please visit your area supplemental soccer programs and performance programs. You will find players from as young as 5/6 year olds that are starting to learn the game to u17/u18; of course the little ones just starting out (and mostly in soccer programs, not performance due to being too young) and the older players striving to get better.

The nurturing for the game part does not start at 12 years old, it starts much earlier, so you will know with some certainty if your daughter would want to pursue a more competitive environment. There are exceptions too ALL rules. Late bloomers, naturally gifted that tried the sport later, etc. that may do very well, but it is more the exception than the rule.

The act of nurturing may signify something different for everyone, to me it means taking my daughter to watch live soccer (FCD, International friendlies, other club games, etc) and lots of EPL, La Liga, Mexican league games on TV. Sharing our opinions on a particular play while watching the game etc. This "nurturing" process started at the age of 6. Although my daughter may not be the most gifted and talented, her passion and love for the game has propelled her to play at the highest level of soccer that she can play at this particular time.

I am sharing my opinion based on personal experience and what we have seen around us. There are exceptions to ALL rules and once again, the attempt here is to indicate what I have seen that is required to be the best you can be. If the "best you can be" is not good enough (not making a particular team, not playing college), at least your daughter (and you as a parent supporting your daughter) can say that you gave it a great and honest shot. If playing at the highest level is not your daughter's goal and she is happy don't change anything. Just like gymnastics, you cannot just decide to "turn it on" and participate in competitive gymnastics overnight, specially at an older age. Are there things that I would change and do differently in my daughter's journey through the process...the answer is a big YES, but unfortunately, as a parent you are also learning as you go. This forum helps soccer parents share their experiences (good and bad ones) and hopefully make the best out of it. At the end, your daughter will have learned so many lessons that will help her deal with daily "real" life now, and later once she leaves the nest. I think that is what we all want for our kids.

Back to the "let the players rest" part......  

And no, there are no cliff notes for this post; and yes, I am getting paid while I wrote this cheers
Teufel Hunden
Teufel Hunden
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3