North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
>!<JOIN ILLUMINATI IN UGANDA KAMPALA +2767271614024/03/24, 08:49 amyunuko
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 12:00 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Does Your Daughter Play for Fun or to Compete and Win? Pixel
Statistics
We have 15800 registered users
The newest registered user is Yuna

Our users have posted a total of 205174 messages in 31963 subjects

Does Your Daughter Play for Fun or to Compete and Win?

Go down

Does Your Daughter Play for Fun or to Compete and Win?

Does Your Daughter Play for Fun or to Compete and Win? Vote_lcap24%Does Your Daughter Play for Fun or to Compete and Win? Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 9 ]
Does Your Daughter Play for Fun or to Compete and Win? Vote_lcap65%Does Your Daughter Play for Fun or to Compete and Win? Vote_rcap 65% 
[ 24 ]
Does Your Daughter Play for Fun or to Compete and Win? Vote_lcap11%Does Your Daughter Play for Fun or to Compete and Win? Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 37

Poll closed

Does Your Daughter Play for Fun or to Compete and Win? Empty Does Your Daughter Play for Fun or to Compete and Win?

Post by SoccerDad75070 09/09/16, 08:29 am

Hello all,

There is a huge focus in our area on size and athleticism, but how important a factor in what separates one player from another is why and how they play? In many different sports you hear about passion to win or drive to compete and be better than than someone else. How important is it that a player plays to compete with others and win versus play because she loves to the game?

So, does your daughter play for the fun of playing or does she play to compete and beat the other girls - and if so, when did this drive and passion become evident?

SoccerDad75070
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Does Your Daughter Play for Fun or to Compete and Win? Empty Re: Does Your Daughter Play for Fun or to Compete and Win?

Post by jogobonito06 09/09/16, 08:44 am

All of the above.
jogobonito06
jogobonito06
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Does Your Daughter Play for Fun or to Compete and Win? Empty Re: Does Your Daughter Play for Fun or to Compete and Win?

Post by Guest 09/09/16, 08:46 am

for the snacks

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeperCommander 09/09/16, 08:54 am

If they are competing to be the best then I am sure they are having fun.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by TX Turf Burn 09/09/16, 09:48 am

All of the above, but the drive and passion to get better and play with the best in her age group grew to a different level once the jump from Academy to Select happened a few yrs ago.
TX Turf Burn
TX Turf Burn
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by db10 09/09/16, 09:56 am

My daughter plays for the sheer love of hypocrisy

TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SoccerDad75070 09/09/16, 09:59 am

Thanks TX Turf Burn

SoccerDad75070
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 09/09/16, 10:04 am

SoccerDad75070 wrote:and if so, when did this drive and passion become evident?

in response to adversity

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 09/09/16, 10:05 am

db10 wrote:My daughter plays for the sheer love of hypocrisy

Good plan. She'll get her money's worth. Should be very happy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teufel Hunden 09/09/16, 10:42 am

All of the above, but let me put some extra perspective:

In my daughter's particular case:

1-Definetly starts by having fun
2-As you progress in play level, player needs to start to compete to be better and keep her starting spot or spot on the team...at this point, it may not be as fun anymore, but player starts understating the game and what it takes to be off the bench and on the field
3 - Winning the match, it is important, however, if daughter did not play or did not play much, it isn't as important as playing...but to play, daughter needs to compete

From what we have experienced, when playing in high level teams / leagues, it really comes down to having to compete in order to have playing time which will enable the player to have fun (again, players have "fun" when they get to play). At the highest levels of competition, playing soccer has become a job. It is a difficult thing to grasp and accept, but as I have mentioned in previous threads discussing other similar topics, that is why we are thankful that we have so many teams in many different tiers of play that your daughter / family will find a place that will fit you the best. Not everyone is cut out to compete everyday, to be told that you did not make the team roster for the weekend game, to be pulled out of practice because you are slowing things down and not keeping up....I am sure some of you can relate.
Again, the above is based on what we have seen and experienced, nothing more.
Teufel Hunden
Teufel Hunden
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 09/09/16, 10:58 am

My DD plays for the sheer love of the game, which I instilled in her starting at age 6 by reminding her on a daily basis that if she doesn't get a full athletic ride to a Power 5 conference school that she is a complete and utter failure in my eyes, as I need to live my life vicariously through her athletic accomplishment in order to validate my self-worth as a parent.  So just make sure you go out and have fun sweetie! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 09/09/16, 11:59 am

My daughter plays because she likes new kits and cleats.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty 09/09/16, 12:30 pm

KeeperCommander wrote:If they are competing to be the best then I am sure they are having fun.

Seen many cases where players on DD's team are playing to compete and be the best, trying to win the match, but not having any fun.  

Usually due to:
. fear of failure or disappointing others (i.e. parents)
. having their self worth tied to soccer performance
. need to succeed to get $ for college (i.e it is their job)

Ours had fun as they played for the sheer fun of competing (ECNL/NPL/ODP, etc) and trying to win.  They never viewed soccer as an obligation, or a job, or a means to and end.  Also the same reason they declined college offers.  i.e. don't want it to be a job.  

They also competed and focused on winning in academics and did view that as their job, and as a means to an end.  And no it was not always fun.

Lefty
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by ElClassico 09/09/16, 12:53 pm

My DD simply plays to for the enjoyment of heading down to the pub after the match for a pint or two with her mates while laughing at all the geezers on the sidelines.

Last edited by ElClassico on 09/09/16, 01:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
ElClassico
ElClassico
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsMeAgain 09/09/16, 01:06 pm

you need an all of the above option....................... Rolling Eyes
ItsMeAgain
ItsMeAgain
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 09/09/16, 02:32 pm

Teufel Hunden wrote:All of the above, but let me put some extra perspective:

In my daughter's particular case:

1-Definetly starts by having fun
2-As you progress in play level, player needs to start to compete to be better and keep her starting spot or spot on the team...at this point, it may not be as fun anymore, but player starts understating the game and what it takes to be off the bench and on the field
3 - Winning the match, it is important, however, if daughter did not play or did not play much, it isn't as important as playing...but to play, daughter needs to compete

From what we have experienced, when playing in high level teams / leagues, it really comes down to having to compete in order to have playing time which will enable the player to have fun (again, players have "fun" when they get to play). At the highest levels of competition, playing soccer has become a job. It is a difficult thing to grasp and accept, but as I have mentioned in previous threads discussing other similar topics, that is why we are thankful that we have so many teams in many different tiers of play that your daughter / family will find a place that will fit you the best. Not everyone is cut out to compete everyday, to be told that you did not make the team roster for the weekend game, to be pulled out of practice because you are slowing things down and not keeping up....I am sure some of you can relate.
Again, the above is based on what we have seen and experienced, nothing more.

Damn Gunny, you post anything under a couple of sentences? Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 09/09/16, 02:37 pm

My DD plays using the John Kreese philosophy of athletic competition.

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 09/09/16, 02:42 pm

A great coach once said some kids PLAY soccer and others COMPETE at it.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by setplay 10/09/16, 09:55 am

I think mine is addicted to the shoes.
setplay
setplay
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Striker78 12/09/16, 09:31 am

I can't choose all of the above but that is what it is. My daughter has been playing since she was 4 and loves the game more than anything. With that love comes sheer determination to be the best player on the field. She wants to win every game.
Striker78
Striker78
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SteamingBean 12/09/16, 11:01 am

A & B. Mine have fun and compete to be the best, but they don't worry about winning or losing because they can't help it when those dang crazy goalkeepers screw everything up
SteamingBean
SteamingBean
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SteamingBean 12/09/16, 11:03 am

SteamingBean wrote:A & B.  Mine have fun and compete to be the best, but they don't worry about winning or losing because they can't help it when those dang crazy goalkeepers screw everything up

(Just kidding  just kidding..  before Sheets and the other GKs get mad.  we used to be a GK family too)
SteamingBean
SteamingBean
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by ProudDad1 12/09/16, 01:24 pm

WhySeauxSerious wrote:My daughter plays because she likes new kits and cleats.

This. best answer for this side of the board.
ProudDad1
ProudDad1
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down