North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
>!<JOIN ILLUMINATI IN UGANDA KAMPALA +2767271614024/03/24, 08:49 amyunuko
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 01:09 amFever United Wright
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 12:00 pmDallas Texans East
Annis18/11/23, 12:00 pmPele
Triumph FC Boys09/11/23, 10:08 pmPele
ECNL Player ID Platform19/10/23, 02:34 pmsmugrr
Goalkeeper Wanted! 2007G Dallas Texans Soccer Team!10/10/23, 10:31 amDallas Texans East
BVB 09B Classic D305/10/23, 08:28 pmBdavis
Solar 14’ Rodriguez 19/09/23, 09:34 pmCHIVAS

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Poor Sportsmanship Pixel
Statistics
We have 15799 registered users
The newest registered user is Pancho83

Our users have posted a total of 205167 messages in 31957 subjects

Poor Sportsmanship

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Poor Sportsmanship Empty Poor Sportsmanship

Post by helvetii 17/10/16, 04:22 pm

If your daughters team plays Frisco Fusion in the near future, and your team successfully defends and has possession of the ball inside the 18 box. if a Fusion player should happen to get injured immediately after you gain possession; Please understand, if your daughter kicks the ball out of bounds as a part of good sportsmanship so the Fusion player can be attended to, the Fusion coach will not play the ball back to your team. He will aggressively play the throw in. When your coach asks the Fusion coach to play the ball back to your team as a part of good sportsmanship, he will refuse. Do not expect him to play by the same good sportsmanship that the rest of LH plays by. FYI.
helvetii
helvetii
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Poor Sportsmanship Empty Re: Poor Sportsmanship

Post by ONLYASOCCERDAD 18/10/16, 08:59 am

wow! saving soccer humanity. one post at a time Smile

ONLYASOCCERDAD
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SGS 18/10/16, 09:21 am

Better than teaching players poor sportsmanship and character one game at a time.

SGS
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SocDad 18/10/16, 11:00 am

I'm not sure I understand the argument...about how this is a sportsmanship issue.

Its always unfortunate that someone gets hurt while playing soccer......but we all teach "Play until the whistle blows".
If the whistle has not blown and the defender kicks it out on her own accord....then it was her own decision to "turn the ball over" to the other team.  Whether or not there is an injured player.

As for playing aggressive.  How long should a individual/team feel sympathy or feel that sportsmanship should last after a stoppage in play?  When the whistle is blow....every resume in play is a new start and should be played as normal.  If aggressive is their style...then so be it.

In the end, its not up to the Coaches to determine a "Gentlemen Sportsmanship Agreement" as to who gets the ball......it should be the refs decision and that decision is based off of the "Rules of Soccer".
SocDad
SocDad
Annual Supporting Member
Annual Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by helvetii 18/10/16, 11:33 am

SocDad wrote:I'm not sure I understand the argument...about how this is a sportsmanship issue.

Its always unfortunate that someone gets hurt while playing soccer......but we all teach "Play until the whistle blows".
If the whistle has not blown and the defender kicks it out on her own accord....then it was her own decision to "turn the ball over" to the other team.  Whether or not there is an injured player.

As for playing aggressive.  How long should a individual/team feel sympathy or feel that sportsmanship should last after a stoppage in play?  When the whistle is blow....every resume in play is a new start and should be played as normal.  If aggressive is their style...then so be it.

In the end, its not up to the Coaches to determine a "Gentlemen Sportsmanship Agreement" as to who gets the ball......it should be the refs decision and that decision is based off of the "Rules of Soccer".

Really SocDad? Why don't you take a few minutes to investigate how this is done on the professional and international level. You will see more examples than you can count. If a ball is voluntarily kicked out so an opposing player can be tended to, the gentlemanly thing to do is to inbound the ball and kick it to the team that made time for the staff to come onto the field. I believe you already know this.
helvetii
helvetii
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by helvetii 18/10/16, 11:36 am

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/8/8/9121065/soccer-player-politely-allowed-to-walk-ball-in-after-accidental-goal
helvetii
helvetii
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by helvetii 18/10/16, 11:39 am

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/13j0up/soccer_player_accidentally_scores_a_fair_play/
helvetii
helvetii
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by helvetii 18/10/16, 11:42 am

https://www.quora.com/In-football-when-a-player-is-injured-if-the-opposite-team-had-possession-before-the-play-was-stopped-they-will-go-for-a-drop-ball-after-the-substitution-and-the-other-team-gets-the-ball-What-if-the-other-team-doesnt-get-the-ball-and-it-flies-directly-into-the-net-Is-it-a-goal

If y'all are still failing to see the point, read the first bullet point.
helvetii
helvetii
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by helvetii 18/10/16, 11:57 am

Uno mas. This is the best describe article. This is such expected behavior that when some character tries and scores when the team was expecting to get the ball played back to them, the opposing team will allow an equalizer. As stated previously, your daughters should not stand around waiting for Frisco Fusion to act in a sportsman like manner. Be ready.

http://www.realclearsports.com/lists/unwritten_rules/soccer_injuries.html?state=play
helvetii
helvetii
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by FC1 18/10/16, 01:17 pm

Is it really poor sportsmanship? Its subjective. However, I am sure we can all agree that getting on a soccer forum and bashing another team about sportsmanship is a great example of poor sportsmanship. Just saying..... pot meet kettle.

FC1
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by upper95 18/10/16, 02:23 pm

There is no requirement to play the ball out if an opponent is on the ground.   If your teammate is on the ground, do not stop defending.  play until the referee stops play.

There is no requirement to play the ball back to opponents and the referee is not allowed to direct this action.

Incidently, the Laws of the Game were changed to not allow a goal to be scored directly from a dropped ball. Previously, the common practice of kicking the ball back to the keeper after an injury could result in a goal, accidently or otherwise.  

Referees are no longer allowed to "manufacture" an outcome on a restart, e.g., direct that an uncontested dropped ball be kicked to the keeper or a thrown-in to an opponent.  Referee WILL however drop the ball solely to the keeper if she had possession when play was stopped.

There will always be people who take advantage of others' good intentions and sympathies. Teach your daughters that they can help others but first be secure in themselves.

upper95
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SGS 18/10/16, 02:48 pm

No one debating referee, it's the opposing coach who decided to take advantage of someone else's good intentions and sportsmanship, great message to his players.

SGS
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SGS 18/10/16, 02:54 pm

Rediculous comments defending something that is performed at every level all over the world. A team passes the ball out of bounds so the other teams player can receive treatment, the other team passes the ball back to the team that had possession. Anybody who has been involved in the game and knows the game would do this. People who don't know the game see no problem with it. It's a poor act and something that would not happen. FC 1 it is not subjective at all, again proves you don't know the game. As a parent watching I was shocked that the opposition chose to take advantage of people's good will like that.

SGS
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by upper95 18/10/16, 02:58 pm

no-one is defending poor sportsmanship.

upper95
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by helvetii 18/10/16, 03:19 pm

FC1 wrote:Is it really poor sportsmanship? Its subjective. However, I am sure we can all agree that getting on a soccer forum and bashing another team about sportsmanship is a great example of poor sportsmanship. Just saying..... pot meet kettle.

If pointing out that an opposing coach deliberately and willfully took advantage of the good intentions of the opposing team is bashing then I'll wear that like a badge of honor.
helvetii
helvetii
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by helvetii 18/10/16, 03:26 pm

upper95 wrote:There is no requirement to play the ball out if an opponent is on the ground.   If your teammate is on the ground, do not stop defending.  play until the referee stops play.

There is no requirement to play the ball back to opponents and the referee is not allowed to direct this action.

Incidently, the Laws of the Game were changed to not allow a goal to be scored directly from a dropped ball. Previously, the common practice of kicking the ball back to the keeper after an injury could result in a goal, accidently or otherwise.  

Referees are no longer allowed to "manufacture" an outcome on a restart, e.g., direct that an uncontested dropped ball be kicked to the keeper or a thrown-in to an opponent.  Referee WILL however drop the ball solely to the keeper if she had possession when play was stopped.

There will always be people who take advantage of others' good intentions and sympathies. Teach your daughters that they can help others but first be secure in themselves.

Common Upper95! There is no requirement that you say please and thank you and wash your hands before dinner either. Its just good form and established manners. I am assuming that you would be gratefully for a voluntary stoppage if it were your daughter on the ground. Would you then not advocate kicking it back also?
helvetii
helvetii
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 5050Ball 18/10/16, 03:28 pm

Spirit of the game. Something far too many don't understand.
5050Ball
5050Ball
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by upper95 18/10/16, 05:05 pm

helvetii wrote:
upper95 wrote:There is no requirement to play the ball out if an opponent is on the ground.   If your teammate is on the ground, do not stop defending.  play until the referee stops play.

Common Upper95!  There is no requirement that you say please and thank you and wash your hands  before dinner either.  Its just good form and established  manners.   I am assuming that you would be gratefully for a voluntary stoppage if it were your daughter on the ground.  Would you then not advocate kicking it back also?

Stating what is required and not required, and the referee's role in such situations, is helpful to some. There was no objection stated to voluntary acts, so the indignation is unwarranted.

Being wary of a lack of reciprocation is prudent, you may interpret my last statement as "sure kick the ball out of play, but deep into the opponents' end of the field."

The referee can and will stop play if the player appears to be seriously injured.

My former player and current referee daughter thanks you for your concern.

upper95
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by FC1 18/10/16, 05:17 pm

SGS wrote:Rediculous comments defending something that is performed at every level all over the world. A team passes the ball out of bounds so the other teams player can receive treatment, the other team passes the ball back to the team that had possession. Anybody who has been involved in the game and knows the game would do this. People who don't know the game see no problem with it. It's a poor act and something that would not happen. FC 1 it is not subjective at all, again proves you don't know the game. As a parent watching I was shocked that the opposition chose to take advantage of people's good will like that.

Subjective means it is not factual. Opinions are not factual, therefore it is subjective. I can assure you, I have been around the game for longer than I care to admit. I am familiar with the thought behind kicking the ball out so the player can receive treatment. However, it is ultimately the ref's decision. He / she can stop the game whenever they want or feel it is warranted. Why should the players have to kick the ball out of bounds in order for the injured player receive treatment? The ref is the only "adult" on the field and should be the one to make that call. If you are citing pro's here, you also realize pro teams often get "injured" when their team is winning and use this as a strategic time wasting tactic. With that being said, we have all heard coaches tell their kids to go down in the middle of the field as well as a tactic. Why reward this behavior? Play until the whistle. That way, all the blame / decision making will be on the ref's. For all we know your team kicked the ball out of bounds due to them being in danger, etc. Why reward that with giving you the ball back?

FC1
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by helvetii 18/10/16, 06:11 pm

FC1 wrote:
SGS wrote:Rediculous comments defending something that is performed at every level all over the world. A team passes the ball out of bounds so the other teams player can receive treatment, the other team passes the ball back to the team that had possession. Anybody who has been involved in the game and knows the game would do this. People who don't know the game see no problem with it. It's a poor act and something that would not happen. FC 1 it is not subjective at all, again proves you don't know the game. As a parent watching I was shocked that the opposition chose to take advantage of people's good will like that.

Subjective means it is not factual. Opinions are not factual, therefore it is subjective. I can assure you, I have been around the game for longer than I care to admit. I am familiar with the thought behind kicking the ball out so the player can receive treatment. However, it is ultimately the ref's decision. He / she can stop the game whenever they want or feel it is warranted. Why should the players have to kick the ball out of bounds in order for the injured player receive treatment? The ref is the only "adult" on the field and should be the one to make that call. If you are citing pro's here, you also realize pro teams often get "injured" when their team is winning and use this as a strategic time wasting tactic. With that being said, we have all heard coaches tell their kids to go down in the middle of the field as well as a tactic. Why reward this behavior? Play until the whistle. That way, all the blame / decision making will be on the ref's. For all we know your team kicked the ball out of bounds due to them being in danger, etc. Why reward that with giving you the ball back?

Ok FC1. Lol!
helvetii
helvetii
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe scafone 18/10/16, 09:12 pm

Talk about calling kettle black...You should see this "Helveti's" sideline behavior. This guy's an idiot.  He's a Hillary supporter.

Last edited by Joe scafone on 19/10/16, 06:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Joe scafone
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by nolanryan 18/10/16, 11:09 pm

I have no dog in this fight, but I've known the Fusion coach for a good while and he's a decent person and coach.  My DD has not played for him but a couple of her friends have and if this happened it would be unusual.  I heard the game vs. LP was chippy.  Could there be another side to this?
nolanryan
nolanryan
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Marvelousmar 19/10/16, 07:00 am

Fair play is the term. However, know both these sides and seems to be the result of the "heat of the moment" Genrally if a play goes down and you hear the fair play call by the coach and it's and obvious injury it's correct to return the ball. No rule but I have seen refs not understand and been in games where the gray line of what was going on was present. The lines can turn the calmest man into a lunatic the game has that effect sometimes. The one question if the moment is was a goal scored. If the team defended not sure the reason for the beef. The opportunity to defend and learn from the situation was provided. Some times things happen in this game that we don't like or is unexplainable. Beauty and pain of this game. Just my two cents in coaching follow the Golden rule and it becomes less stressful. Frustration occurs in this game when the rule isn't followed. This occurs when we only have team glasses on and the inability to see the plank in your own teams eyes. I love thr cry for a foul but not recognizing your own teams fouls. So I have been thinking about working on a book for maybe 5 years now. Youth competitive soccer for parents. We might need a separate installment for just the North Texas Fun. Nick and Peter let's just put the game to bed and schedule a part two. Heck I will even come and play mediator as it seems I missed a classic battle.. Give peace a chance....
Marvelousmar
Marvelousmar
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by helvetii 19/10/16, 07:05 am

Joe scafone wrote:Talk about calling kettle black...You should see this "Helveti's" sideline behavior. This guy's an idiot.  He's a Hillary supporter.

Do you really want to talk about sideline behavior? Really? Why don't you tell our friends here how many matches you have been expelled (for you that is asked to leave the facility) from. The first game my daughter played with your team, the refs called the game early and left the field because of you. I count no less than five expulsions for you. I have none. Close the laptop and just walk away.
helvetii
helvetii
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by helvetii 19/10/16, 07:07 am

I have said my piece. I am done here. Thanks for the great discussion.
helvetii
helvetii
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next