North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
McKinneyu United - Frisco PlanoToday at 09:01 pmmikecorich
07 Girls Teams - DALLAS OPEN May 28-31, 2021Today at 06:44 pmU90C
ECRL - NTX Tryouts are OPEN in Lantana, Argyle, Flower MoundToday at 03:54 pmNTX Celtic FC
ECRL - NTX Tryouts are OPEN in Lantana, Argyle, Flower MoundToday at 03:49 pmNTX Celtic FC
05 Mid Fielder Open to Guest Playing OpportunitiesToday at 03:39 pmSoccerDad75070
Confused on new ECNL clubsToday at 11:28 amdtk9119
Tryouts for Manchester Red - Albion (Lake Highlands)Today at 11:16 amTiltmasterR
BVB International Academy - 08 Girls Academy (GA) Try-OutsToday at 07:56 amsoccerdynamics1
Solar South 10G-AdamesToday at 07:13 ambigballer07
09 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN May 28-31, 2021Yesterday at 10:43 pmU90C
10 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN May 28-31, 2021Yesterday at 10:42 pmU90C
11 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN May 28-31, 2021Yesterday at 10:41 pmU90C
05 Girls Teams - DALLAS OPEN May 28-31, 2021Yesterday at 10:40 pmU90C
08 Girls Teams - DALLAS OPEN May 28-31, 2021Yesterday at 10:39 pmU90C
11 Girls Teams - DALLAS OPEN May 28-31, 2021Yesterday at 10:37 pmU90C
BVB International - 03/04 Girls Academy (GA) Try-OutsYesterday at 02:22 pmsoccerdynamics1
BVB International Academy - 06 Girls Academy (GA) Try-OutsYesterday at 02:12 pmsoccerdynamics1
Solar West 08G ECNL-RL NTX Open PracticesYesterday at 01:37 pmsolar08glanier
Solar West 08G ECNL-RL NTX Open PracticesYesterday at 01:21 pmsolar08glanier
FRISCO FUSION 09G OPEN PRACTICE INFORMATIONYesterday at 11:46 amGazza
FRISCO FUSION 08G OPEN PRACTICE INFORMATIONYesterday at 11:40 amGazza
FRISCO FUSION 10G OPEN PRACTICE INFORMATION Yesterday at 11:27 amGazza
STING 09G BOYLE- (EULESS)Yesterday at 11:19 amCoachBoyle
BVB International Academy 05 Girls Academy (GA) Try-OutsYesterday at 09:57 amsoccerdynamics1
BVB International Academy - 09 Girls Academy (GA) Try-OutsYesterday at 09:34 amsoccerdynamics1
Log in

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Plano labor day  Pixel
Statistics
We have 14819 registered users
The newest registered user is Luisa Velazquez Caez

Our users have posted a total of 201316 messages in 29841 subjects

Plano labor day

Go down

Plano labor day  Empty Plano labor day

Post by Justbecause2016 05/09/17, 06:29 am

WOW, seems that coaching is turning into teaching kids how to kick as hard as they can, just run after the ball and hit as many of the other team as possible. I watched a ton of soccer the weekend and am sad to say long ball is dominate in this age group. Yikes!!!!! Also an 06 team won gold and all 06 teams play on up made solid showings. Is our group falling victim to long ball coaching???

Justbecause2016
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Posts : 61
Points : 1752
Join date : 2016-10-09

Back to top Go down

Plano labor day  Empty Re: Plano labor day

Post by ProDallas 05/09/17, 09:01 am

I've also noticed this trend in some college level teams. TCU vs. Missouri women's game was on tv this past weekend, so I watched to see how college level looks right now. Both teams have some nicely skilled players (Mizzou also very physically aggressive - lots of fouls), but they definitely employed the long-ball tactics a lot more than I would expect. Sometimes, if it's there and will help you score goals, fine. But, to be one-dimensional with that approach seems very limiting and is definitely shortsighted when it comes to developing younger players. TCU ended up winning with a PK in double overtime due to a foul in the box. Ref had let another one go earlier in OT, but the physical play finally caught up to MU, which I was glad for (disclosure: I am not an alum of either school).
ProDallas
ProDallas
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 240
Points : 2053
Join date : 2016-10-12
Location : Dallas

Back to top Go down

Plano labor day  Empty Re: Plano labor day

Post by 5050Ball 05/09/17, 10:05 am

The Power 5 conference coaches are between a rock and a hard place. Most would love to keep the ball and knock it around. But they have to recruit a certain level of athlete to even stay on the field with teams in their conference. And we're still not producing enough of those athletes who are technical, savvy players.

If they don't win, they're out of a job.

The good news is I think the trend is actually in the other direction. The next generation coming up is well ahead of the last one technically and some of these traditionally direct programs are getting commits from really good soccer players.

It won't change overnight. Supply and demand still rules.

5050Ball
5050Ball
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 247
Points : 2419
Join date : 2015-06-19

Back to top Go down

Plano labor day  Empty Re: Plano labor day

Post by TxFutbal 05/09/17, 12:05 pm

Question.. I get some of the D1 schools do what they need to do in order to win and sometimes long ball supports that strategy. I have even seen it from NC, TAMU, and UT in recent matches (UT more than all due to the make up of the their team this year). My question... Are the smaller D2/D3 teams doing the same or are they actually focused on playing "proper soccer". Now everyone has heard my perspective on "long ball" or as some coaches will say "thru ball" and there is certainly a place for it in the game because you have to take what the opponent gives you, but anyone who saw PLD soccer this weekend, long ball was the strategy for many teams and not just in the '05 age group. It dominated many games in the '03s as well.

TxFutbal
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 424
Points : 2154
Join date : 2016-09-11

Back to top Go down

Plano labor day  Empty Re: Plano labor day

Post by IAmSoccerfan 05/09/17, 01:42 pm

Please explain "long ball" and "proper soccer". I'm just trying to determine if "long ball" is when the defender just sends the ball down field for the forward to chase down or is it "long ball" if the defender passes to a midfielder, who passes to another midfielder, then that player sends a "thru ball" up the field for the forward? How many passes make it "proper soccer"? FTR, I'm not trying to be an ass. I really would like to know.
IAmSoccerfan
IAmSoccerfan
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Posts : 58
Points : 2905
Join date : 2013-08-01

Back to top Go down

Plano labor day  Empty Re: Plano labor day

Post by soccerjack 05/09/17, 01:58 pm

IAmSoccerfan wrote:Please explain "long ball" and "proper soccer".  I'm just trying to determine if "long ball" is when the defender just sends the ball down field for the forward to chase down or is it "long ball" if the defender passes to a midfielder, who passes to another midfielder, then that player sends a "thru ball" up the field for the forward?  How many passes make it "proper soccer"?  FTR, I'm not trying to be an ass.  I really would like to know.  


The long ball, thru ball and/or kickball is how the other team plays when your team loses.  Proper soccer is how your team plays win or lose.

Got it?
soccerjack
soccerjack
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Posts : 994
Points : 3515
Join date : 2014-07-11

Back to top Go down

Plano labor day  Empty Re: Plano labor day

Post by 05girls 05/09/17, 02:09 pm

Back to the OP, the 05 gold division was a hodgepodge of good and bad teams. A smattering of 05 LH D1,d2, maybe a d3, 2 very good 06 teams (including DTS), and a very good team from Oklahoma. The quality of soccer played from game to game probably varied wildly. I don't think this tournament can be used to deduce anything other than the powers that be have spread talent across 4 different leagues which has watered down the overall playing field. You will continue to find quality and lack of within the same bracket going forward.

I don't know about the long ball comment. The games we were a part of had some decent soccer being played by kicks and Oklahoma. I imagine the two 06 teams offered the same. Beyond that you are dealing with D2/3 teams who may not have found their sea legs just yet.

05girls
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 143
Points : 2616
Join date : 2014-08-01

Back to top Go down

Plano labor day  Empty Re: Plano labor day

Post by TxFutbal 05/09/17, 02:25 pm

Long Ball = Defender or Mid launching ball from their side of pitch with no regard to where it goes and hope the only girl with skills up top can collect the ball and out muscle the defender with size/leverage/pushing/fouling to get a shot or wait until the skilled player who plays outside mid/forward to catch up to receive the drop and then shoot from just outside the 18. If the "Long Ball" was made by the outside/center mid this is can be considered a thru ball as long as the ball doesn't rise above the logo on the player jersey where the receiving player can collect it and then go to goal. There might be some who disagree with this definition but you get the idea.

TxFutbal
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 424
Points : 2154
Join date : 2016-09-11

Back to top Go down

Plano labor day  Empty Re: Plano labor day

Post by jogobonito06 05/09/17, 02:25 pm

IAmSoccerfan wrote:Please explain "long ball" and "proper soccer".  I'm just trying to determine if "long ball" is when the defender just sends the ball down field for the forward to chase down or is it "long ball" if the defender passes to a midfielder, who passes to another midfielder, then that player sends a "thru ball" up the field for the forward?  How many passes make it "proper soccer"?  FTR, I'm not trying to be an ass.  I really would like to know.  

Nothing wrong with a nicely placed, nicely received long ball. But when you watch a team launch balls from the back that go over the touchline or end-line 80% of the time, you really need to wonder. But occasionally a blind hog finds an acorn and one is launched into the opposing box, bounces around for a minute and a half and is toe-poked in.

Then it's brilliant soccer.
jogobonito06
jogobonito06
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 354
Points : 2759
Join date : 2014-10-30

Back to top Go down

Plano labor day  Empty Re: Plano labor day

Post by Pele98 05/09/17, 03:06 pm

TxFutbal wrote:Long Ball = Defender or Mid launching ball from their side of pitch with no regard to where it goes and hope the only girl with skills up top can collect the ball and out muscle the defender with size/leverage/pushing/fouling to get a shot or wait until the skilled player who plays outside mid/forward to catch up to receive the drop and then shoot from just outside the 18.  If the "Long Ball" was made by the outside/center mid this is can be considered a thru ball as long as the ball doesn't rise above the logo on the player jersey where the receiving player can collect it and then go to goal.  There might be some who disagree with this definition but you get the idea.

You have just described how Man U play with Lukaku in the lineup...........and they happen to be at the top of the EPL table, with 3 games in.

I always thought soccer is the game of using your strengths and maximizing your opponents weakness.  If you have speed and power as your strength, why would you want to walk the ball from your end to the other?  If you have Wambach as your striker, why would you want lo play low balls?  If you have Xavi, Messi and Iniesta, why would you want to play long balls past your mids?

If a team can put balls in the other side's net, that is the proper way to play the game.  Otherwise, it is a ballet on a soccer pitch.
Pele98
Pele98
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Posts : 624
Points : 5026
Join date : 2009-05-06
Location : Enjoying soccer........somewhere

Back to top Go down

Plano labor day  Empty Re: Plano labor day

Post by IAmSoccerfan 05/09/17, 04:15 pm

soccerjack wrote:
IAmSoccerfan wrote:Please explain "long ball" and "proper soccer".  I'm just trying to determine if "long ball" is when the defender just sends the ball down field for the forward to chase down or is it "long ball" if the defender passes to a midfielder, who passes to another midfielder, then that player sends a "thru ball" up the field for the forward?  How many passes make it "proper soccer"?  FTR, I'm not trying to be an ass.  I really would like to know.  


The long ball, thru ball and/or kickball is how the other team plays when your team loses.  Proper soccer is how your team plays win or lose.

Got it?

Makes sense to me.
IAmSoccerfan
IAmSoccerfan
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Posts : 58
Points : 2905
Join date : 2013-08-01

Back to top Go down

Plano labor day  Empty Re: Plano labor day

Post by Big Ern 05/09/17, 04:24 pm

05girls wrote:Back to the OP, the 05 gold division was a hodgepodge of good and bad teams.  A smattering of 05 LH D1,d2, maybe a d3, 2 very good 06 teams (including DTS), and a very good team from Oklahoma.  The quality of soccer played from game to game probably varied wildly.  I don't think this tournament can be used to deduce anything other than the powers that be have spread talent across 4 different leagues which has watered down the overall playing field.  You will continue to find quality and lack of within the same bracket going forward.  

Very true but an even better way to put it is that the addition of ECNL and DA at U13 has decimated the field that still play PLD and at LHGCL for that matter ... both on a slippery slope towards mediocrity.  This will be the last either will see of DTS 06 as well.

Big Ern
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Posts : 1200
Points : 3692
Join date : 2014-09-02

Back to top Go down

Plano labor day  Empty Re: Plano labor day

Post by 05girls 05/09/17, 04:56 pm

Add JDL to that list.

05girls
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 143
Points : 2616
Join date : 2014-08-01

Back to top Go down

Plano labor day  Empty Re: Plano labor day

Post by Guest 07/09/17, 12:29 pm

in terms of talent and playing level:
ECNL replaced by DA
LHGCL D1/JDL/Champions League replaced by ECNL
PPL replaced by LHGCL D1/JDL/Champions League
what replaces PPL? Rec? then what replaces Rec?

nows a good time to be a ref for some extra bucks...theres plenty of soccer to go around.
Even City Futsal has outdoor teams now.
Not saying anything about a money grab at all....
But Lets get this money!!

All this change to stand back and realize "thangs are still the same"

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Plano labor day  Empty Re: Plano labor day

Post by KeeperCommander 07/09/17, 08:21 pm

JonSneauxTargaryen wrote:in terms of talent and playing level:
ECNL replaced by DA
LHGCL D1/JDL/Champions League replaced by ECNL
PPL replaced by LHGCL D1/JDL/Champions League
what replaces PPL? Rec? then what replaces Rec?

nows a good time to be a ref for some extra bucks...theres plenty of soccer to go around.
Even City Futsal has outdoor teams now.
Not saying anything about a money grab at all....
But Lets get this money!!

All this change to stand back and realize "thangs are still the same"
Its not what replaces Rec its what will replace DA.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Posts : 1666
Points : 4479
Join date : 2013-09-30
Location : Sidelines watching practice

Back to top Go down

Plano labor day  Empty Re: Plano labor day

Post by Big Ern 07/09/17, 09:32 pm

KeeperCommander wrote:
JonSneauxTargaryen wrote:in terms of talent and playing level:
ECNL replaced by DA
LHGCL D1/JDL/Champions League replaced by ECNL
PPL replaced by LHGCL D1/JDL/Champions League
what replaces PPL? Rec? then what replaces Rec?

nows a good time to be a ref for some extra bucks...theres plenty of soccer to go around.
Even City Futsal has outdoor teams now.
Not saying anything about a money grab at all....
But Lets get this money!!

All this change to stand back and realize "thangs are still the same"
Its not what replaces Rec its what will replace DA.

Fun stuff KC -- What's your best guess?

And on a more personal note ... How long are you guys gonna hold out until you bring her over to try to win a spot?

Big Ern
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Posts : 1200
Points : 3692
Join date : 2014-09-02

Back to top Go down

Plano labor day  Empty Re: Plano labor day

Post by KeeperCommander 07/09/17, 09:58 pm

10 years ago no one 00.1% thought ECNL was viable. Now in its 9th year and not slowing but it was thought that a better league was possible. Now they say it's DA. So how long before someone decides DA has run its course and invents a new better league? My guess, in 5 years DA will be revamped.


Last edited by KeeperCommander on 07/09/17, 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Posts : 1666
Points : 4479
Join date : 2013-09-30
Location : Sidelines watching practice

Back to top Go down

Plano labor day  Empty Re: Plano labor day

Post by Big Ern 07/09/17, 10:36 pm

KeeperCommander wrote:10 years ago no one thought ECNL was viable. Now in its 9th year and not slowing but it was thought that a better league was possible. Now they say it's DA. So how long before someone decides DA has run its course and invents a new better league? My guess, in 5 years DA will be revamped.

Gotcha KC and fair assessment, although I think "no one" is a little strong --

I could be wrong here but wasn't the ECNL the pioneer when it came to creation of super teams at each of it's representing clubs that would showcase regionally and nationally?  In this case however, the USSDA isn't having to recreate the wheel.  And as unfair to US Club as it may be ... because the USSF is the supreme governing body over the highest levels of soccer in our country ... it isn't likely to matter.

I do know that outside of the Texans U13s and U14s, most of the top U13-U15 talent (and some of the top talent from the ECNL exclusive clubs) in Texas has gone to the DA teams.  I'd bet that this is the case at most of the DA clubs in the Frontier Division (and much of the country) as well.

We shall soon see.

Big Ern
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Posts : 1200
Points : 3692
Join date : 2014-09-02

Back to top Go down

Plano labor day  Empty Re: Plano labor day

Post by KeeperCommander 07/09/17, 10:41 pm

BigErn wrote:
KeeperCommander wrote:10 years ago no one thought ECNL was viable. Now in its 9th year and not slowing but it was thought that a better league was possible. Now they say it's DA. So how long before someone decides DA has run its course and invents a new better league? My guess, in 5 years DA will be revamped.

Gotcha KC and fair assessment, although I think "no one" is a little strong --

I could be wrong here but wasn't the ECNL the pioneer when it came to creation of super teams at each of it's representing clubs that would showcase regionally and nationally?  In this case however, the USSDA isn't having to recreate the wheel.  And as unfair to US Club as it may be ... because the USSF is the supreme governing body over the highest levels of soccer in our country ... it isn't likely to matter.

I do know that outside of the Texans U13s and U14s, most of the top U13-U15 talent (and some of the top talent from the ECNL exclusive clubs) in Texas has gone to the DA teams.  I'd bet that this is the case at most of the DA clubs in the Frontier Division (and much of the country) as well.

We shall soon see.
Corrected to be more believable.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Posts : 1666
Points : 4479
Join date : 2013-09-30
Location : Sidelines watching practice

Back to top Go down

Plano labor day  Empty Re: Plano labor day

Post by KeeperCommander 08/09/17, 08:48 am

BigErn wrote:
KeeperCommander wrote:
JonSneauxTargaryen wrote:in terms of talent and playing level:
ECNL replaced by DA
LHGCL D1/JDL/Champions League replaced by ECNL
PPL replaced by LHGCL D1/JDL/Champions League
what replaces PPL? Rec? then what replaces Rec?

nows a good time to be a ref for some extra bucks...theres plenty of soccer to go around.
Even City Futsal has outdoor teams now.
Not saying anything about a money grab at all....
But Lets get this money!!

All this change to stand back and realize "thangs are still the same"
Its not what replaces Rec its what will replace DA.


And on a more personal note ... How long are you guys gonna hold out until you bring her over to try to win a spot?
Ah the dark side, yes very good question. First we must complete our training with Yoda and then we will see.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Posts : 1666
Points : 4479
Join date : 2013-09-30
Location : Sidelines watching practice

Back to top Go down

Plano labor day  Empty Re: Plano labor day

Post by Big Ern 08/09/17, 09:25 am

KeeperCommander wrote:
BigErn wrote:
KeeperCommander wrote:
JonSneauxTargaryen wrote:in terms of talent and playing level:
ECNL replaced by DA
LHGCL D1/JDL/Champions League replaced by ECNL
PPL replaced by LHGCL D1/JDL/Champions League
what replaces PPL? Rec? then what replaces Rec?

nows a good time to be a ref for some extra bucks...theres plenty of soccer to go around.
Even City Futsal has outdoor teams now.
Not saying anything about a money grab at all....
But Lets get this money!!

All this change to stand back and realize "thangs are still the same"
Its not what replaces Rec its what will replace DA.


And on a more personal note ... How long are you guys gonna hold out until you bring her over to try to win a spot?
Ah the dark side, yes very good question.  First we must complete our training with Yoda and then we will see.

Touche ... very clever KC.  There's always Solar ya know --  

And BTW ... many out there would consider LP and Coach AF the dark side

Big Ern
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Posts : 1200
Points : 3692
Join date : 2014-09-02

Back to top Go down

Plano labor day  Empty Re: Plano labor day

Post by Guest 08/09/17, 09:27 am

BigErn wrote:
KeeperCommander wrote:
BigErn wrote:
KeeperCommander wrote:
JonSneauxTargaryen wrote:in terms of talent and playing level:
ECNL replaced by DA
LHGCL D1/JDL/Champions League replaced by ECNL
PPL replaced by LHGCL D1/JDL/Champions League
what replaces PPL? Rec? then what replaces Rec?

nows a good time to be a ref for some extra bucks...theres plenty of soccer to go around.
Even City Futsal has outdoor teams now.
Not saying anything about a money grab at all....
But Lets get this money!!

All this change to stand back and realize "thangs are still the same"
Its not what replaces Rec its what will replace DA.


And on a more personal note ... How long are you guys gonna hold out until you bring her over to try to win a spot?
Ah the dark side, yes very good question.  First we must complete our training with Yoda and then we will see.

Touche ... very clever KC.  There's always Solar ya know --  

And BTW ... many out there would consider LP and Coach AF the dark side

So y'all know each other....

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Plano labor day  Empty Re: Plano labor day

Post by TxKpr 08/09/17, 09:45 am

I like soccer
TxKpr
TxKpr
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Posts : 95
Points : 2615
Join date : 2014-06-15

Back to top Go down

Plano labor day  Empty Re: Plano labor day

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum