North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
>!<JOIN ILLUMINATI IN UGANDA KAMPALA +2767271614024/03/24, 08:49 amyunuko
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 01:09 amFever United Wright
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 12:00 pmDallas Texans East
Annis18/11/23, 12:00 pmPele
Triumph FC Boys09/11/23, 10:08 pmPele
ECNL Player ID Platform19/10/23, 02:34 pmsmugrr
Goalkeeper Wanted! 2007G Dallas Texans Soccer Team!10/10/23, 10:31 amDallas Texans East
BVB 09B Classic D305/10/23, 08:28 pmBdavis
Solar 14’ Rodriguez 19/09/23, 09:34 pmCHIVAS

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Real Colorado leaving Girls DA - Page 3 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15799 registered users
The newest registered user is Pancho83

Our users have posted a total of 205167 messages in 31957 subjects

Real Colorado leaving Girls DA

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Real Colorado leaving Girls DA - Page 3 Empty Re: Real Colorado leaving Girls DA

Post by Truthiness 23/03/20, 01:11 pm

timmyh wrote:

I think ECNL is already doing everything they can to peel off Solar and FC Dallas (Tophat, NC Courage and FC Virginia, too). One swift blow to the back of the Federations head.

And despite the egos, let's not forget the primary why the answer is more and more likely to be "yes" - - - There is more money to be made from 2 ECNL teams than there is from just a single DA team.  It's not just the extra 18 paying customers in 6 age groups, it's the lesser investment in needing specifically licensed coaches and other federation required investments. DA isn't a money maker. But two ECNL teams certainly is.

https://www.soccerwire.com/news/north-carolina-courage-united-futbol-academy-join-ecnl-for-2020-2021-season/

ECNL's "Kill the GDA" Checklist:
Solar
Real Colorado
FC Dallas
TSJ FC Virginia
NC Courage
Tophat

Two down.  Four to go.

Truthiness
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Real Colorado leaving Girls DA - Page 3 Empty Re: Real Colorado leaving Girls DA

Post by timmyh 25/03/20, 01:04 am

Truthiness wrote:
timmyh wrote:

I think ECNL is already doing everything they can to peel off Solar and FC Dallas (Tophat, NC Courage and FC Virginia, too). One swift blow to the back of the Federations head.

And despite the egos, let's not forget the primary why the answer is more and more likely to be "yes" - - - There is more money to be made from 2 ECNL teams than there is from just a single DA team.  It's not just the extra 18 paying customers in 6 age groups, it's the lesser investment in needing specifically licensed coaches and other federation required investments. DA isn't a money maker. But two ECNL teams certainly is.

https://www.soccerwire.com/news/north-carolina-courage-united-futbol-academy-join-ecnl-for-2020-2021-season/

Solar
Real Colorado
FC Dallas
TSJ FC Virginia
NC Courage
Tophat

Two down.  Four to go.

Will be very surprised at this point if Tophat isn't next, and soon. There's simply nobody left for them to play (just four other teams in their conference, and very few can provide competitive games in most age groups).

Frontier going to face the same dilemma should Lonestar or Solar bail and the majority of remaining teams require airplane tickets to play a league game.

timmyh
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by KicknBalls 25/03/20, 03:20 pm

Truthiness wrote:
timmyh wrote:

Solar
Real Colorado
FC Dallas
TSJ FC Virginia
NC Courage
Tophat

Two down.  Four to go.

918Soccer is starting to get a little soccer Chubby. he has been dying for DA to leave so his daughters can be in best league again. TSC fired all their coaches and brought in a mediocre college coach to run the program.

KicknBalls
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ern 25/03/20, 08:15 pm

timmyh wrote:
Truthiness wrote:
timmyh wrote:

Solar
Real Colorado
FC Dallas
TSJ FC Virginia
NC Courage
Tophat

Two down.  Four to go.

Will be very surprised at this point if Tophat isn't next, and soon. There's simply nobody left for them to play (just four other teams in their conference, and very few can provide competitive games in most age groups).

Frontier going to face the same dilemma should Lonestar or Solar bail and the majority of remaining teams require airplane tickets to play a league game.

Tick Tock ... Tick Tock ...

"From what I was told by those in the know back when the GDA was introduced, the intent was to eventually contract to the pro clubs only and be fully funded ... similar to some of the YourApeeIn models.  Many of us that have been there from the beginning have had a similar message passed on from the "powers" at each year's preseason meeting.

Recently, there has also been more evidence that this is the case with the rapid regional expansion of the MLS -- There are already 30 and you'll see 32 clubs awarded in no time, each with regional logistical consideration in mind.  If ya asked me I'd tell you that I'd guess you'll see fully funded teams competing in a regional league consisting of Dallas, Austin, Houston, Colorado (Rapids in case you're wondering), and Nashville, among others in the somewhat near future.  Thus truly making the USSDA exclusively for the most committed and talented girls in the country, leaving the others in the ECNL.
"

Big Ern
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by timmyh 25/03/20, 09:45 pm

Big Ern wrote:
timmyh wrote:
Truthiness wrote:
timmyh wrote:

Solar
Real Colorado
FC Dallas
TSJ FC Virginia
NC Courage
Tophat

Two down.  Four to go.

"From what I was told by those in the know back when the GDA was introduced, the intent was to eventually contract to the pro clubs only and be fully funded ... similar to some of the YourApeeIn models.  Many of us that have been there from the beginning have had a similar message passed on from the "powers" at each year's preseason meeting.

Recently, there has also been more evidence that this is the case with the rapid regional expansion of the MLS -- There are already 30 and you'll see 32 clubs awarded in no time, each with regional logistical consideration in mind.  If ya asked me I'd tell you that I'd guess you'll see fully funded teams competing in a regional league consisting of Dallas, Austin, Houston, Colorado (Rapids in case you're wondering), and Nashville, among others in the somewhat near future.  Thus truly making the USSDA exclusively for the most committed and talented girls in the country, leaving the others in the ECNL.
"

I see this coming for the boys, but lots of these MLS clubs don't have a girls program. Under this scenario, are you thinking someone like Austin FC and NY Red Bulls or Inter Miami
would be forced to start up and fully fund a girls program?  Or would the girls clubs not be tied to MLS teams?

timmyh
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by 918soccer 25/03/20, 10:43 pm

KicknBalls wrote:
Truthiness wrote:
timmyh wrote:

Solar
Real Colorado
FC Dallas
TSJ FC Virginia
NC Courage
Tophat

Two down.  Four to go.

918Soccer is starting to get a little soccer Chubby. he has been dying for DA to leave so his daughters can be in best league again. TSC fired all their coaches and brought in a mediocre college coach to run the program.

I had a dream... that one day all of the nations top clubs would once again play together in harmony and defined not by the color of their patch, but by the content of their ability. That American youth would no longer be separated into two diluted warring factions but united under one common platform of providing the absolute strongest competition with the least travel... I had a dream.

918soccer
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ern 26/03/20, 09:37 am

timmyh wrote:
Big Ern wrote:
timmyh wrote:
Truthiness wrote:
timmyh wrote:

Solar
Real Colorado
FC Dallas
TSJ FC Virginia
NC Courage
Tophat

Two down.  Four to go.

"

I see this coming for the boys, but lots of these MLS clubs don't have a girls program. Under this scenario, are you thinking someone like Austin FC and NY Red Bulls or Inter Miami
would be forced to start up and fully fund a girls program?  Or would the girls clubs not be tied to MLS teams?

scratch  Is it just me or this deja vu?

Again.  All of the youth programs at the MLS clubs would be fully funded by the USSF/USSDA and MLS club entity itself operates independently from their affiliated youth program entity (just as they do now).  Those new MLS clubs will simply absorb a club and/or girl's program side in their own market ... i.e. FC Dallas-Inter, Houston Dynamo-Rush (and others), Colorado Rapids-Storm.  Guessing Austin FC-Lonestar.

"They're all chickens.  The rooster has sex with all of them."

Big Ern
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Durian 26/03/20, 11:26 am

Big Ern wrote:
timmyh wrote:
Big Ern wrote:
timmyh wrote:
Truthiness wrote:
timmyh wrote:

Solar
Real Colorado
FC Dallas
TSJ FC Virginia
NC Courage
Tophat

Two down.  Four to go.

"

scratch  Is it just me or this deja vu?

Again.  All of the youth programs at the MLS clubs would be fully funded by the USSF/USSDA and MLS club entity itself operates independently from their affiliated youth program entity (just as they do now).  Those new MLS clubs will simply absorb a club and/or girl's program side in their own market ... i.e. FC Dallas-Inter, Houston Dynamo-Rush (and others), Colorado Rapids-Storm.  Guessing Austin FC-Lonestar.

"They're all chickens.  The rooster has sex with all of them."

I get what you are saying Big E, it makes sense but more so on the boys side in my opinion. Let me hyperfocus on GDA in North Texas. There are nine NWSL teams. Four are affiliated with MLS, five are affiliated with someone else. The new team coming on board in the NWSL is based in Kentucky, looks like they have an affiliate not in MLS. I can only speak of the current situation here in North Texas, FC Dallas doesn't have a Womens pro team. Are the Bass' working behind the scenes to get one, maybe so or maybe not. Nothing is there until its there.

So for now, whats the incentive for a Girls team to stay in DA? You're saying and correct me if I am wrong that FC Dallas is a separate entity from the Club side and that both girls and boys side would be funded by DA, to me this works if you have a Womens Pro Team. Just using Solar as an example, what if Solar gets an affiliation with an NWSL team. Does the model still work for FC Dallas to have GDA? As a soccer player what club would you pick to play for if this scenario happened?

I guess what I am trying to say is regardless of affiliation with MLS or not. From a club level on the girls side there is no incentive to stay in GDA unless of course there's a pro affiliation. The few teams that have tried are now trickling back.

Guess time will tell how it all plays out.

Durian
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthiness 26/03/20, 11:55 am

Durian,
I think the difference would be is the Federation would be subsidizing these specific teams. Something like:
"Here's $250k/year for each of the 30 MLS clubs. We expect you to offer free elite programming and travel for two boys teams and two girls teams (U16/17 and U18/19) and to play in a league under rules and regulations that we will provide. How you build those teams is up to you (find local partners, or even not-so-local partners, if necessary). What you do with the rest of your age groups and teams is up to you."
Truthiness
Truthiness
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ern 26/03/20, 12:04 pm

Right Truthi and durian ... If you think that GDA = pro, then understood.

However, I staunchly disagree that ^ is the case on the girl's side in this country.  Some benefits to the scenario in question would include ...

1) Completely free (including travel)
2) Most exclusive, dedicated talent pool
3) Your choice of full ride to a power 5 school
4) Most probable track to a YNT

Having been around the GDA parents, kids and coaches from the beginning, I'd tell you that the "pro" aspect is quite a distance down the line of goals for these kids, if there at all.  For most it looks like this ... college ball, NT, then (for a select few) pro ball.

Big Ern
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Durian 26/03/20, 12:06 pm

Lets go with that, why are teams leaving GDA? If you are going to potentially be getting "free money" why leave?

Durian
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ern 26/03/20, 12:10 pm

Durian wrote:Lets go with that, why are teams leaving GDA? If you are going to potentially be getting "free money" why leave?

Dude.  

Shocked

Big Ern
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Durian 26/03/20, 12:10 pm

Big E so as of current GDA is currently free travel? I guess time will tell where who goes where. I did see a U16 GDA player just sign with UNT. She will be an incoming Freshmen next year.

Durian
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ern 26/03/20, 12:15 pm

Durian wrote:Big E so as of current GDA is currently free travel?  I guess time will tell where who goes where. I did see a U16 GDA player just sign with UNT. She will be an incoming Freshmen next year.

Funny you should ask -- Actually just received a message from the club last night stating that they are not collecting travel dues for now.  Guess why Wink

And yes -- The U16er you mentioned is an extremely intelligent home schooler graduating in May.

Big Ern
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Durian 26/03/20, 12:20 pm

Let me rephrase. Did you pay dues in 2019? I assume you did based on your comment...so outside of the current situation...when is this model going to be in effect?  In addition....clubs (business) usually inact change when they are pleased or happy with the current situation?

Durian
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ern 26/03/20, 12:24 pm

Durian wrote:Let me rephrase. Did you pay dues in 2019? I assume you did based on your comment...so outside of the current situation...when is this model going to be in effect?  In addition....clubs (business) usually inact change when they are pleased or happy with the current situation?

Yessir -- We've paid 50% dues the past few years.  

And the "model" isn't going into effect ... it's simply a prognostication.

Big Ern
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Durian 26/03/20, 12:31 pm

Don't get me wrong I am definitely not knocking DA. I am just scratching my head as to why the domino affect seems to be happening in DA and not in ECNL.

Durian
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by timmyh 26/03/20, 04:11 pm

Durian wrote:Don't get me wrong I am definitely not knocking DA. I am just scratching my head as to why the domino affect seems to be happening in DA and not in ECNL.

When in doubt, just follow the money.

timmyh
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ern 26/03/20, 05:56 pm

Durian wrote:Don't get me wrong I am definitely not knocking DA. I am just scratching my head as to why the domino affect seems to be happening in DA and not in ECNL.

Well that's an easy one Duri ...

GDA has lost them all due to being so "poorly managed" ... You know ... the HS restrictions, substitution rules, etc ...

Embarassed ...  Wink

Big Ern
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by BWGophers 27/03/20, 02:02 pm

Big Ern wrote:

GDA has lost them all due to being so "poorly managed" ... You know ... the HS restrictions, substitution rules, etc ...

Embarassed ...  Wink

My 2 cents FWIW...

It's simply businesses (Clubs and ECNL) making business decisions based on what they believe will best serve the bulk of their customers (the parents who write the checks), and provide the biggest upside to their bottom line.

It looks to me like many of the parents who write the checks are not seeing significant added value (e.g. lower out-of-pocket cost, added college recruiting benefit, etc.) from GDA that offsets the tighter restrictions of GDA (additional weekly practice/film study commitment, stricter substitution rules, restrictions on HS play).

ECNL will survive because ECNL is run like a business and has shown they will adapt their business model to survive (e.g. selected "2-for-1" deals to entice clubs to forego DA for "All-in" on ECNL).

GDA, and it's more structured development guidelines, has a place, and if it can find the right balance, it will survive as well.  It's looking like that balance may be to offer significantly reduced cost to a smaller overall elite group of players. (BigE's talk of a USSF plan to reduce the overall size of DA and align it with MLS/NWSL clubs).

TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthiness 27/03/20, 02:30 pm

BWGophers wrote:
Big Ern wrote:

Embarassed ...  Wink

My 2 cents FWIW...

It's simply businesses (Clubs and ECNL) making business decisions based on what they believe will best serve the bulk of their customers (the parents who write the checks), and provide the biggest upside to their bottom line.

It looks to me like many of the parents who write the checks are not seeing significant added value (e.g. lower out-of-pocket cost, added college recruiting benefit, etc.) from GDA that offsets the tighter restrictions of GDA (additional weekly practice/film study commitment, stricter substitution rules, restrictions on HS play).

ECNL will survive because ECNL is run like a business and has shown they will adapt their business model to survive (e.g. selected "2-for-1" deals to entice clubs to forego DA for "All-in" on ECNL).

GDA, and it's more structured development guidelines, has a place, and if it can find the right balance, it will survive as well.  It's looking like that balance may be to offer significantly reduced cost to a smaller overall elite group of players. (BigE's talk of a USSF plan to reduce the overall size of DA and align it with MLS/NWSL clubs).

I think you pretty much nailed it.  
ECNL has made adjustments to remain relevant.  I think GDA has yet to feel making adjustments is needed and just assumed GDA would evolve just like the boys DA did. The writing on the wall is that was a poor assumption and that some decisions need to be revisited (or accelerated).
Truthiness
Truthiness
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by BWGophers 27/03/20, 04:45 pm

Truthiness wrote:
BWGophers wrote:
Big Ern wrote:

Embarassed ...  Wink

My 2 cents FWIW...

I think you pretty much nailed it.  
ECNL has made adjustments to remain relevant.  I think GDA has yet to feel making adjustments is needed and just assumed GDA would evolve just like the boys DA did. The writing on the wall is that was a poor assumption and that some decisions need to be revisited (or accelerated).

I am by no means part of any soccer cognoscenti or Illuminati.  Just a Dad with a kid who played competitive soccer and wanted to play in college.  From my naive little outsider-looking-in viewpoint, GDA was formed for 2 primary reasons:

1) It was a direct response to the EEOC complaint filed by the 5 USWNT players in 2016.  "The men have a DA, but the women don't..."
2) USSF saw that it was losing control of the development pipeline to ECNL

The problem is that USSF, and thus GDA, is run much more as a Fiefdom, rather than a business.  The Fiefdom's primary goal above all others is to identify and develop YNT/WNT talent.  In reality, that goal only serves a chosen few, but USSF thought they could just mandate GDA and everybody would come running because they are USSF.  That did happen to some degree, but the problem was that the horse was already out of the barn with regards to the pay-to-play model, and ECNL has already established itself as business model that served the high-end segment of the pay-to-play market quite well.  The parents at the high-end of the pay-to-play market are becoming savvier consumers as time goes on, as they want value and options above all, and as I said before, after a couple of years of seeing what GDA was, many aren't seeing a value or flexibility advantage for their kid in GDA.

As a Fiefdom, USSF is by nature both slower to recognize and slower to react, than both the clubs and ECNL, who recognize that they are businesses first, so the clubs and ENCL are reacting and adapting faster than USSF.

Last edited by BWGophers on 27/03/20, 06:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spellcheck)

TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 918soccer 27/03/20, 07:39 pm

Instead of developing a competing league to ECNL, many believe the federation should have focused on improved identification and supplemental YNT training programs where YNT-identified players stayed on their ECNL teams but received extra, fully-funded US Soccer training - much more than the twice-a-year camps. If US soccer is going to recruit mostly from GDA, especially with so many top clubs dropping, their ID and selection process will be severely flawed. Identification and YNT training are critical for success, not managing a youth league. In addition, all players benefit from playing the toughest competition, not from being spread out in two diluted leagues.

918soccer
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by smugrr 31/03/20, 11:14 am

At one point, that was what ODP was going to be all about, and that has certainly not happened.

smugrr
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by JHHoliday 07/04/20, 04:29 pm

No word on whether Solar and FCD are staying DA or all-out? Someone on here has to have some scoopage. Come on.

JHHoliday
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthiness 10/04/20, 12:27 am

Some chatter that there could be announcement next week that DA (both boys and girls) is being disbanded next year.
Could be yet nonsense as I struggle to see exactly how that could true, but the rumor is out there and, if true, that's a genuine bombshell.

Link :
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1248426339339620353
Truthiness
Truthiness
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next