North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
>!<JOIN ILLUMINATI IN UGANDA KAMPALA +2767271614024/03/24, 08:49 amyunuko
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 12:00 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Demise of DA Pixel
Statistics
We have 15800 registered users
The newest registered user is Yuna

Our users have posted a total of 205174 messages in 31963 subjects

Demise of DA

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Demise of DA Empty Demise of DA

Post by real411 10/04/20, 02:58 pm

With the demise of the DA, to be announced shortly, we are calling on the US Soccer Federation to apply maximum pressure to end the ECNL. With everything going on in the country, it is time to go back to the way it was.

A time where everyone competed under one umbrella, the infrastructure still exists in every state. Imagine that, where teams, all teams, actually had the chance to get to the very top.

The State Cup again becomes the trophy that EVERYONE gets a fair chance to compete for and that becomes the ultimate goal.

In turn, the statewide leagues are over. You compete in your local leagues, then showcase tournaments based on merit.

I am ok going back to the Regional Leagues as long as it is very limited, and only one, two, maybe three teams from a state are eligible, again, based on merit. That way you have teams that really deserve it and the competition is high level. Not like it is in ECNL and the DA where there is a huge disparity in level of competition.

As far as developing National teams, we can go back to the ODP system with the full strength and support of the US Soccer Federation. Make the system, which can work, actually work. All the money saved that is wasted on the DA can be used to make ODP affordable for the players that really deserve to be in the ODP system.

All of this creates a competitive environment in a fair and balanced way. Let these big clubs that have been selected for DA or ECNL (selection often based on their connections, let’s face it) have to compete with the smaller clubs. Let the best teams rise!

real411
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Demise of DA Empty Re: Demise of DA

Post by timmyh 10/04/20, 03:09 pm

This might can work for North Texas and Southern California where there is a high concentration of talented teams in every age group, but i think the ship has sailed on "just local leagues" for many areas of the country.   The disparity between the top teams and the rest of the local teams is simply too great.  Take nearby Austin or Tulsa as an example.  Lonestar and TSC have top teams that are 10+ goals a game better than the 5th best local team.

Regional brackets are a good solution to this problem. One of the benefits for a closed regional bracket is that it saves tremendously on club logistics.  When all of your teams head out for a nearby road trip, that's much more efficient than just a single age group. Of course the trade off for that is unfairness to clubs outside of that system who have very good teams in single age groups.

I will agree with your larger point that now seems to be a good time to take stock of what is best, and re-adjust as necessary.  I also definitely agree that, here in NTX, we have a uniquely excellent situation and should take advantage of that rather than be bound by the notion that we need to travel around to help players and teams in other cities find competition.  They should feel free to come here, but there is no local benefit to us traveling around to help them develop their players.

timmyh
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Yo 10/04/20, 03:23 pm

US Club formed specifically to relegate the USYS model to 2nd tier and succeeded. I can't see any motivation for USSF to take on that battle.

Yo
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ern 10/04/20, 09:01 pm

Outside of timmy's notion that NTX teams are "developing" players in outside areas simply by competing against them, he is right-o.  

411's pipe dream is just that ...

USSF has no authority, nor the ability to, "end the ECNL".  And the reason both the ECNL and USSDA exist (not that both need to) is to feasibly and logistically consolidate talent for increased efficiency of recruitment.  He or she (411) should make no mistake ... the "very top" and "ultimate goal" for 99% of the elite kids in NTX aren't to win a "State Cup", regardless of whether or not the aforementioned platforms exist.  

And you mentioned the reinvigoration of ODP ... which would be fantastic (if it were 1995).  However, based on the overall content of his or her post, he or she clearly knows sh*t, about absolutely anything when it comes to either the ECNL or GDA (which is understandable given his or her situation).  

"Havin' dreams is what makes life tolerable"

Wink

Big Ern
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Demise of DA Empty Ernie relax

Post by real411 10/04/20, 09:26 pm

Ernie, don't take it so personal. Maybe I know nothing, but I know enough to tell you that DA is done before you knew it.

The point is that ECNL and DA are effectively walls to minimize competition. You can talk all you want about consolidating great players, but the net effect is that ECNL and DA teams became more about recruiting and less about development. And lets be real, ECNL was created to effectively create mini-monopolies around the country and most clubs have abused the ECNL license as a way to increase revenue as opposed to providing a good service. Imagine if ECNL teams had to actually compete in games and compete for players on a level playing field.

The biggest problem is ECNL shut off competition. It eliminated the chance of clubs outside the selected few, to build something truly great.

If ECNL wants to continue, for the good of the game, they need to figure out a system to allow competition from outside the system to inside their system. Maybe open up tournaments to allow 25% of non-ECNL teams to complete.

I think that would help everyone, give all teams a chance, be a helluva a lot of fun, and would be the right thing to do.

real411
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by FriscoSoccer2004 10/04/20, 09:33 pm

It’s called Dallas Cup, Surf Cup, WAGS or Vegas Cup, etc. Ecnl teams (and a few DA teams) have been known to play in those... check the results. Doubt you will see many upsets from none DA or ECNL teams.
FriscoSoccer2004
FriscoSoccer2004
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by LeftBehind 11/04/20, 12:13 am

FriscoSoccer2004 wrote:It’s called Dallas Cup, Surf Cup, WAGS or Vegas Cup, etc.   Ecnl teams (and a few DA teams) have been known to play in those...   check the results.  Doubt you will see many upsets from none DA or ECNL teams.  

Most would and do get run ruled. Pipe dream at its finest.

LeftBehind
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Demise of DA Empty That is the point

Post by real411 11/04/20, 07:15 am

FriscoSoccer2004 wrote:It’s called Dallas Cup, Surf Cup, WAGS or Vegas Cup, etc.   Ecnl teams (and a few DA teams) have been known to play in those...   check the results.  Doubt you will see many upsets from none DA or ECNL teams.  

That is the point, why do you think these ECNL teams are better? Because with the ECNL brand, which was one of the great marketing schemes of all time, high level players flock to those clubs just because of the word "Elite". What I am saying is that if you open up competition, and level the playing field, and then all of a sudden ECNL clubs would have to compete. Now they are given an unfair advantage. DON'T BE FRIGHTENED OF THE SMALL CLUBS.

real411
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by NoSpinZone 11/04/20, 08:27 am

real411 wrote:

That is the point, why do you think these ECNL teams are better? Because with the ECNL brand, which was one of the great marketing schemes of all time, high level players flock to those clubs just because of the word "Elite". What I am saying is that if you open up competition, and level the playing field, and then all of a sudden ECNL clubs would have to compete. Now they are given an unfair advantage. DON'T BE FRIGHTENED OF THE SMALL CLUBS.

Nobody is afraid. Old Liverpool, and Fever are nonECNL clubs that have put together good teams in different age groups from time to time. Good players want to play with good players. So those good players tend to congregate together(DA/ECNL). Those clubs did it without your so called 'level' playing field. Quit making excuses and crying, and develop a team that can compete! No welfare checks here.

NoSpinZone
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by real411 11/04/20, 03:30 pm

real411 wrote:

I have developed a team, from the ground up, from a small club. A team that put 21 players in college, the vast majority in D1, and five that played on the very top teams in the nation. That is where I am coming from. That is where the opportunity is lost for so many others. It was not not built on recruiting but on developing. Did we add players a long the way? Yes, but very few, and only as was needed as we moved up the chain from small sided to 11v11 and then as a player or two would drop off here and there.

What I am talking about is the same in the economy. It is not healthy to have what is effectively a monopoly or oligopoly.

ECNL was designed to limit competition, to set up walls.

Take down the walls.

Don't be frightened. And if you are not frightened, set up a system to allow crossover play for any team that is worthy.

real411
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Leave it to Fever 11/04/20, 03:33 pm

Ain't nobody want to drive to no games out of town. The virus gone make everyone play games here for a long time coming.

Leave it to Fever
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Frisco Mamasita 11/04/20, 06:25 pm

Does this mean all them DA trophies aren't worth diddly squat?

Frisco Mamasita
Frisco Mamasita
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SoccerBasics 11/04/20, 06:32 pm

Hooper214 wrote:Does this mean all them DA trophies aren't worth diddly squat?

There were trophies??? Man, had I known that I would have had my kid in the program formerly known as DA. HAHAHAHAHA

SoccerBasics
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by JLA956 12/04/20, 03:27 pm

Soccer Wire article on DA shutdown rumor:

https://www.soccerwire.com/resources/opinion-covid-19-provides-opportunity-for-u-s-soccer-to-shut-down-development-academy

JLA956
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by WinTheChipzRdown 12/04/20, 06:50 pm

If this happens, it’ll just be the rewind button ⏪ seems like.

Take us back 3 years where ECNL was the lone top league for girls. But DKSC seems to have made some strides since then because of the merger and AF moving over along with GV.
Some players will face some harsh realities and there will be some upset parents and some politics being activated. Soccer in the spring never fails to NOT provide the dramatics.

Last edited by WinTheChipzRdown on 12/04/20, 08:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

WinTheChipzRdown
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthiness 12/04/20, 07:52 pm

Wheels are spinning.  I hear Socal DA is toast. Surf, Legends, and Beach joining ECNL. Tophat, too.

I can't imagine some new league forming for Dash, FCD, OKE, and Lonestar (Solar already in ECNL) that is going to have enough cache to prevent their top girls from heading for a rival ECNL team.  

A repurposed DPL (or similar entity) to include the former DA teams isn't gonna cut it when ECNL already has the platform ready to go and it includes just about every other top club in the country. Sorry, Ern, but a new "national" league for a couple dozen elite girls teams (like FCD) doesn't seem feasible to me in the current environment. Maybe it works for boys Academy teams right now, but for girls it doesn't make sense. The money isn't there anymore to justify it in the current climate. Maybe someday.

I simply don't see what legit options exist for a GDA club that wants to remain relevant other than rejoining ECNL.
Truthiness
Truthiness
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by 07soccerdad 12/04/20, 08:59 pm

More assumptions and rumors ☝☝☝That’s all we need...

07soccerdad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by cenTex 13/04/20, 08:47 pm

More assumptions and rumors. What else is this place for?

FCD, Lonestar, and Solar into ECNL. Not sure of status of Energy or Dash, but I think they are also in.  Texas ECNL conference going to consist of at least two brackets and likely three.  A top bracket with the top club’s top teams, a 2nd bracket of a couple A teams (like perhaps Sting Austin and Celtic) and ECRL teams. Perhaps could be a 3rd bracket of weaker ECRL teams. Probably pro/rel from year to year. Travel minimized as Colorado off to join another group.
That actually sounds pretty damn good. Again, just rumors but this is from another parent who is pretty well connected to things.

cenTex
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ern 14/04/20, 11:36 am

real411 wrote:
real411 wrote:

I have developed a team, from the ground up, from a small club. A team that put 21 players in college, the vast majority in D1, and five that played on the very top teams in the nation. That is where I am coming from. That is where the opportunity is lost for so many others. It was not not built on recruiting but on developing. Did we add players a long the way? Yes, but very few, and only as was needed as we moved up the chain from small sided to 11v11 and then as a player or two would drop off here and there.

What I am talking about is the same in the economy. It is not healthy to have what is effectively a monopoly or oligopoly.

ECNL was designed to limit competition, to set up walls.

Take down the walls.

Don't be frightened. And if you are not frightened, set up a system to allow crossover play for any team that is worthy.

Based on your clearly one-sided perspective 411, it seems as if you may not have had the experience to make a claim like "ECNL was designed to limit competition, to set up walls." ... which is kinda cute.

I'll keep it simple for ya, and I rarely (if ever) had written these words in my years on this forum ... You are wrong  Smile

The ECNL/DA/their member clubs/coaches/teams are not frightened of the smaller clubs (which, in my opinion are in trouble ... but that's a whole other thread), and ...

The ECNL was not "designed to limit competition" (quite the contrary actually), but to have top talent compete against top talent across the country in effort to both challenge those players in preparation for the next level and (maybe more valuable overall) to get them in a single location for efficiency of recruitment for the next level.

Big Ern
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ern 14/04/20, 11:52 am

Truthiness wrote:Wheels are spinning.  I hear Socal DA is toast. Surf, Legends, and Beach joining ECNL. Tophat, too.

I can't imagine some new league forming for Dash, FCD, OKE, and Lonestar (Solar already in ECNL) that is going to have enough cache to prevent their top girls from heading for a rival ECNL team.  

A repurposed DPL (or similar entity) to include the former DA teams isn't gonna cut it when ECNL already has the platform ready to go and it includes just about every other top club in the country. Sorry, Ern, but a new "national" league for a couple dozen elite girls teams (like FCD) doesn't seem feasible to me in the current environment. Maybe it works for boys Academy teams right now, but for girls it doesn't make sense. The money isn't there anymore to justify it in the current climate. Maybe someday.

I simply don't see what legit options exist for a GDA club that wants to remain relevant other than rejoining ECNL.

Agreed truthi --

If DA does go down this week, I believe the aforementioned SoCal clubs along with FCD (for the time being) should, and will be admitted to the ECNL.  That said, if FCD didn't join and there were to be an exodus of top talent, where would they go?  The ECNL rosters at DKSC, Sting and Solar are already overloaded with defectors from last year's loss of ECNL.  Texans?  What about their GDA kids?  

And even more fascinating is that this is all, at this point, still pure speculation brought on by a couple of Tweets.  It could come out tomorrow (and this is exactly what many of those of us with kids in GDA were told over the weekend) that USSF announces DA is done ... for the 2020 season Wink

Big Ern
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 05DD 14/04/20, 01:20 pm

Big Ern wrote:
Truthiness wrote:Wheels are spinning.  I hear Socal DA is toast. Surf, Legends, and Beach joining ECNL. Tophat, too.

Agreed truthi --

If DA does go down this week, I believe the aforementioned SoCal clubs along with FCD (for the time being) should, and will be admitted to the ECNL.  That said, if FCD didn't join and there were to be an exodus of top talent, where would they go?  The ECNL rosters at DKSC, Sting and Solar are already overloaded with defectors from last year's loss of ECNL.  Texans?  What about their GDA kids?  

And even more fascinating is that this is all, at this point, still pure speculation brought on by a couple of Tweets.  It could come out tomorrow (and this is exactly what many of those of us with kids in GDA were told over the weekend) that USSF announces DA is done ... for the 2020 season Wink
E, are you saying DKSC, Solar, Sting and especially Texans would turn those kids away? Not likely.
I too would like to hear something more official than a random tweet.
05DD
05DD
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthiness 14/04/20, 05:30 pm

It's happening.

The U.S. Soccer Federation has decided to shut down the U.S. Soccer Development Academy program for both boys and girls effective immediately, multiple sources told The Athletic on Tuesday.

Current MLS clubs and academy directors from some of the non-professional clubs that were part of the inaugural Development Academy season in 2007 have already been informed of the decision to shut down the league.

https://theathletic.com/1746877/2020/04/14/sources-ussf-to-shut-down-boys-and-girls-development-academy-programs/
Truthiness
Truthiness
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by cenTex 14/04/20, 06:46 pm

I guess that's a wrap for the 2019-2020 season.

Average of Final Standings Across All Age Groups
1.8  FC Dallas
2.3  Solar
2.8  Real Colorado
4.6  Sporting Blue Valley
5.7  Lonestar
6.0  Houston Dash
6.2  Dallas Texans
6.8  Oklahoma Energy
7.6  Colorado Rush
9.6  Sporting Omaha

cenTex
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ern 14/04/20, 07:34 pm

05DD wrote:
Big Ern wrote:

Agreed truthi --

E, are you saying DKSC, Solar, Sting and especially Texans would turn those kids away? Not likely.
I too would like to hear something more official than a random tweet.

It'd certainly be a tough situation for all (coaches, kids and parents) involved and given what I know if some of the coaches at DKSC and Sting, it'd be tough to crack the already crowded ECNL rosters due to the (all so rare these days) loyalty factor.  If FCD girls are somehow excluded from ECNL, I'd expect many to defect to Solar or Texans.

Big Ern
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by WinTheChipzRdown 14/04/20, 08:45 pm

I’m sure some parents are making “security” phone calls already.

Those “slight reaching out” phone calls are getting more aggressive or are about to be.

WinTheChipzRdown
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next