North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Starting, Bench-Sitting, and Questioning the Status Quo Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Starting, Bench-Sitting, and Questioning the Status Quo

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Starting, Bench-Sitting, and Questioning the Status Quo Empty Starting, Bench-Sitting, and Questioning the Status Quo

Post by deepthoughts 17/04/12, 09:59 am

Do you play for a coach where the same kids sit on the bench at the beginning of each game? By U10, starter vs bench sitter lines have been drawn by many coaches, not because it is smart, not because it is best, but rather because it is the status quo.

I realize that my post today might be greeted with a bit of ridicule. People tend to ridicule any idea that challenges conventional thinking. But I hope that you think about contemplate my proposal for a no-kid-left-behind-in-U11 (a.k.a. the No Bench Revolution) before commenting.

Before you think that my motivation might be bitterness or a knee-jerk reaction to personal events, let me assure you that it is not. My daughter is, for better or worse, a permanent starter in today’s system, on a team destined for Lake Highlands D1. My conclusions are not in relation to her but rather a product of years of observation. I have enjoyed many years of youth soccer, I had vivid experiences regarding starting vs bench with my older kids, and I have had several years to consider this specific issue before writing my post today.

I believe the perma-Starter-vs-Bench status quo is wrong. I believe all kids in pre-teen / early teen / going-through-puberty age brackets (U10 - U13) should start in at least half their team’s games. The full-time-off-the-bench formula starts in U10. The formula is flat wrong, but most coaches and parents endorse and propagate the system. We live in a new hyper-competitive youth development time and some things have gone awry: There simply should be no full-time bench-sitters this soon.

Humans are too smart and too self-aware, even at 10. When Brittney becomes a bench-sitter, she realizes what it means soon enough, because the clues that starting matters are numerous. Coaches talk about who starts and the importance of starting. Britt’s parents talk about trying harder, so that she will start. Kids on the team pick up on the messages and start to act differently, subtly but differently, between each other. It matters in today’s system, with coaches following the status quo, and Brittney’s confidence will surely erode over time. She will begin to play like she is a substitute of whom less is expected.

Yet, if a coach decided to buck the trend, it is very feasible — even easy — to implement a policy where everyone starts, just not every game. Eleven start with only 15 or 16 players on the team, making the math easy enough, if coach simply writes the starting line-up on an index card before each game and saves his cards. Coach could even use starting-this-week as motivation to drive personal best effort during practice.

Imagine how much better off your team would be if you developed 16 kids who all passionately believed they were starters and impact players. I believe it would be better for the coach, better for the parents, better for the kids, better for the team, better for recruiting, and better for player development. No kid is left behind in the No Bench Revolution. If one kid is not cutting it, the coach needs to step up and have the honest discussion with the parents, not keep them on the pine until he has ruined her soccer for life. With such honesty and frankness, the girl could find a team or a sport before she sits around mulling her failure for a year or two. She may leave soccer but enjoy lacrosse if her confidence is intact.

There is little downside to this idea, other than coaches setting the expectation straight with his parents and players, and planning the line-ups. Yet the vast majority of coaches in North Texas follow the flawed thinking inspired by professional sport. Professional soccer only allows 3 substitutions per game so the decision on one’s starting eleven is crucial. But there is no reason that a U12 coach must follow suit.

My older kid was a permanent starter on defense her first year of select and truly excelled. The team allowed far less than one goal per game, Then, coach decided our team was not producing enough goals and he moved my kid to be a winger, initially coming off the bench. His idea was that she had the speed and talent to pull off the move and I went along. What he and I didn’t realize that six months of coming-off-the-bench would damage her confidence as badly as it did. Bench-sitter thinking resulted in her not playing the same. She lost her swagger and never became the starting winger. Today, she is a decent player, still quick and skilled, but her soccer trajectory was cut in half by the mental aspects of the starter-or-not status quo.

If a coach were wise, he would realize that damning certain kids to the confidence-zapping bench before they hit puberty is wrong. Damning a kid to the bench because they are smaller and have a late birthdate in the August-July cycle is also wrong. A wise coach could easily make many, consistent public statements that his or her team has no bench players but rather 100% starters who simply rotate which games they start. A wise coach could easily manage the situation so that every kid starts more than half the team’s games. A wise coach could make it easy for a kid to communicate to him and therefore ensure she starts when she has grandparents or out-of-town family coming to her game — that kid would be happy and confident to invite her loved ones. Such a wise coach would have 16 players to count on and not just 11. Such a wise coach would not have to jump through hoops to find empty promises to keep bench kids paying up and on the team. Such a wise coach would not have to worry about ‘upsetting the apple cart’ when he decides not to start a player who has been a perma-starter forever.

Parents can decide to have this conversation with coaches. It makes sense for everyone, including the stars of the team, to have the best team possible.

Yes, a day will come when the insidious starting issue will become front and center again for your daughter. The transition to high-school soccer is the most likely event. The first three questions a high school coach asks when discussing a kid is “what team is she on”, “what position does she play”, and “does she start”. But if you played for a wise coach who implemented NBR, the answer to the last question would be yes.

The No Bench Revolution program would work. And it would be a great recruiting tool as the 02 class heads into the final months before Lake Highlands Qualifying Tournament. The benefits include:
+ Not hard to manage for the coach, because starting line-ups are decided before the game, not during the heat of the contest,
+ Some kids play much better when starting than when coming off the bench — you would discover better overall team play,
+ The team would avoid all bench-player-can’t-contribute mentality,
+ Intra-player relationships would not get hosed up by starter vs bench player cliques / hard lines we see today,
+ The coach would avoid parents of starters going crazy if their kid sits at the beginning of one game… even the true stars would begin some games on the sideline,
+ The team would develop better for the long run, not just one day’s result,
+ The program would keep everyone happier and the team healthier.

Some will say that not starting your best possible line-up might result in a loss once is a while. I agree that there is always a slight risk, but learning to come back from behind is an important lesson during development as well. It seems wise to build a great team of 16 interchangeable and valuable players. I want to see every Brittney have every opportunity to succeed at soccer and have confidence in life. It really is not about winning 3-1 vs 5-0, yet how often do we see a coach ranting about giving up one goal in an otherwise simple win.

What do you think? Do you think a No-Bench Revolution can work in North Texas and spread to the rest of the country? If so, parents will have to be the one’s that start the NBR. We do ultimately pay the checks and the customer is always right.
deepthoughts
deepthoughts
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Starting, Bench-Sitting, and Questioning the Status Quo Empty Re: Starting, Bench-Sitting, and Questioning the Status Quo

Post by Larrythesoccerguy 17/04/12, 10:07 am

deepthoughts wrote:Do you play for a coach where the same kids sit on the bench at the beginning of each game? By U10, starter vs bench sitter lines have been drawn by many coaches, not because it is smart, not because it is best, but rather because it is the status quo.

I realize that my post today might be greeted with a bit of ridicule. People tend to ridicule any idea that challenges conventional thinking. But I hope that you think about contemplate my proposal for a no-kid-left-behind-in-U11 (a.k.a. the No Bench Revolution) before commenting.

Before you think that my motivation might be bitterness or a knee-jerk reaction to personal events, let me assure you that it is not. My daughter is, for better or worse, a permanent starter in today’s system, on a team destined for Lake Highlands D1. My conclusions are not in relation to her but rather a product of years of observation. I have enjoyed many years of youth soccer, I had vivid experiences regarding starting vs bench with my older kids, and I have had several years to consider this specific issue before writing my post today.

I believe the perma-Starter-vs-Bench status quo is wrong. I believe all kids in pre-teen / early teen / going-through-puberty age brackets (U10 - U13) should start in at least half their team’s games. The full-time-off-the-bench formula starts in U10. The formula is flat wrong, but most coaches and parents endorse and propagate the system. We live in a new hyper-competitive youth development time and some things have gone awry: There simply should be no full-time bench-sitters this soon.

Humans are too smart and too self-aware, even at 10. When Brittney becomes a bench-sitter, she realizes what it means soon enough, because the clues that starting matters are numerous. Coaches talk about who starts and the importance of starting. Britt’s parents talk about trying harder, so that she will start. Kids on the team pick up on the messages and start to act differently, subtly but differently, between each other. It matters in today’s system, with coaches following the status quo, and Brittney’s confidence will surely erode over time. She will begin to play like she is a substitute of whom less is expected.

Yet, if a coach decided to buck the trend, it is very feasible — even easy — to implement a policy where everyone starts, just not every game. Eleven start with only 15 or 16 players on the team, making the math easy enough, if coach simply writes the starting line-up on an index card before each game and saves his cards. Coach could even use starting-this-week as motivation to drive personal best effort during practice.

Imagine how much better off your team would be if you developed 16 kids who all passionately believed they were starters and impact players. I believe it would be better for the coach, better for the parents, better for the kids, better for the team, better for recruiting, and better for player development. No kid is left behind in the No Bench Revolution. If one kid is not cutting it, the coach needs to step up and have the honest discussion with the parents, not keep them on the pine until he has ruined her soccer for life. With such honesty and frankness, the girl could find a team or a sport before she sits around mulling her failure for a year or two. She may leave soccer but enjoy lacrosse if her confidence is intact.

There is little downside to this idea, other than coaches setting the expectation straight with his parents and players, and planning the line-ups. Yet the vast majority of coaches in North Texas follow the flawed thinking inspired by professional sport. Professional soccer only allows 3 substitutions per game so the decision on one’s starting eleven is crucial. But there is no reason that a U12 coach must follow suit.

My older kid was a permanent starter on defense her first year of select and truly excelled. The team allowed far less than one goal per game, Then, coach decided our team was not producing enough goals and he moved my kid to be a winger, initially coming off the bench. His idea was that she had the speed and talent to pull off the move and I went along. What he and I didn’t realize that six months of coming-off-the-bench would damage her confidence as badly as it did. Bench-sitter thinking resulted in her not playing the same. She lost her swagger and never became the starting winger. Today, she is a decent player, still quick and skilled, but her soccer trajectory was cut in half by the mental aspects of the starter-or-not status quo.

If a coach were wise, he would realize that damning certain kids to the confidence-zapping bench before they hit puberty is wrong. Damning a kid to the bench because they are smaller and have a late birthdate in the August-July cycle is also wrong. A wise coach could easily make many, consistent public statements that his or her team has no bench players but rather 100% starters who simply rotate which games they start. A wise coach could easily manage the situation so that every kid starts more than half the team’s games. A wise coach could make it easy for a kid to communicate to him and therefore ensure she starts when she has grandparents or out-of-town family coming to her game — that kid would be happy and confident to invite her loved ones. Such a wise coach would have 16 players to count on and not just 11. Such a wise coach would not have to jump through hoops to find empty promises to keep bench kids paying up and on the team. Such a wise coach would not have to worry about ‘upsetting the apple cart’ when he decides not to start a player who has been a perma-starter forever.

Parents can decide to have this conversation with coaches. It makes sense for everyone, including the stars of the team, to have the best team possible.

Yes, a day will come when the insidious starting issue will become front and center again for your daughter. The transition to high-school soccer is the most likely event. The first three questions a high school coach asks when discussing a kid is “what team is she on”, “what position does she play”, and “does she start”. But if you played for a wise coach who implemented NBR, the answer to the last question would be yes.

The No Bench Revolution program would work. And it would be a great recruiting tool as the 02 class heads into the final months before Lake Highlands Qualifying Tournament. The benefits include:
+ Not hard to manage for the coach, because starting line-ups are decided before the game, not during the heat of the contest,
+ Some kids play much better when starting than when coming off the bench — you would discover better overall team play,
+ Intra-player relationships would not get hosed up by starter vs bench player cliques / hard lines we see today,
+ The coach would avoid parents of starters going crazy if their kid sits at the beginning of one game… even the true stars would begin some games on the sideline,

Some will say that not starting your best possible line-up might result in a loss once is a while. I agree that there is always a slight risk, but learning to come back from behind is an important lesson during development as well. It seems wise to build a great team of 16 interchangeable and valuable players. I want to see every Brittney have every opportunity to succeed at soccer and have confidence in life. It really is not about winning 3-1 vs 5-0, yet how often do we see a coach ranting about giving up one goal in an otherwise simple win.

What do you think? Do you think a No-Bench Revolution can work in North Texas and spread to the rest of the country? If so, parents will have to be the one’s that start the NBR. We do ultimately pay the checks and the customer is always right.

I didn't read your entire post because it was giving me tired head. But the problem in academy is that too many kids aren't playing on a team that fits their skill level. If you aren't playing much you should find a lower level team that needs you.

Larrythesoccerguy
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Starting, Bench-Sitting, and Questioning the Status Quo Empty Re: Starting, Bench-Sitting, and Questioning the Status Quo

Post by futbollove 17/04/12, 10:37 am

Awesome idea. I don't see it happening here in uber-competitive NTX soccer, but I totally agree with you. All kids, should be given the chance to start, and get that experience. As well as a good experience for starters to come off the bench.
futbollove
futbollove
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by deepthoughts 17/04/12, 10:44 am

Larrythesoccerguy wrote:
I didn't read your entire post because it was giving me tired head. But the problem in academy is that too many kids aren't playing on a team that fits their skill level. If you aren't playing much you should find a lower level team that needs you.

First, I'm sorry about the length. I did get on a bit of a roll. There are a lot of aspects to the issue.

Second, I understand your point about finding a team that your kid will start on, but that was not my point at all. If the coaches and parent's expectations can't change, your solution is logical; however, that would simply continue the current North Texas competitive soccer path where some 25% of the hopeful young ladies in North Texas soccer get their confidence shot down at a very early age with unknown longer-term ramifications, while their parents spend around $3K a year for that privilege.
deepthoughts
deepthoughts
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ballhead 17/04/12, 10:49 am

I don't know whether this is tongue in cheek or serious. I'm hoping its the former.

If the situation is how you describe it, that means that 11 players are likely happy with the status quo, leaving a minority looking for change. How's that gonna work? Are you thinking some of the starting players parents are going to lobby for their kid to sit?

There are always some players (although, in my experience, its more likely the parents) that really think they are the better player, but for some reason the coach decides to start someone else. For the most part, though, the players knew who the better players are. In some cases that has worked as an incentive, in other cases, it didn't really matter. I'm sure there are some players who perform below capability because her confidence is low, but I don't think its that big a problem. Every team my dd has played on has had players that for whatever reason weren't driven. Every team has also had a parent or two who proclaimed that the player was performing poorly strictly due to the lack of confidence from: A. Not starting B. Playing time C. Coach yells at them D. Who knows?

The bottom of virtually every roster includes a few players that aren't quite "there" yet. Sometimes, these players have attitudes, lack stamina, or any number of other issues. To say that they automatically start for some number of games based on nothing but their name on the roster doesn't make much sense to me.

I could also argue in the other direction that taking a starter that works every day, practices hard, goes to extra skills sessions, and plays her heart out, but ends up on the bench in deference to letting someone else start "just because", could inflict damage on her, in that what she sees is that no matter how good she is, or how hard she works, or what results she delivers, it isn't enough to earn her the start over the player that is, more or less, going through the motions.

Players come in all different sizes, shapes, levels of commitment, levels of skill, and work ethic. Your proposal, if it really is one, to ignore those differences when creating your lineup, seems poorly thought out to me.
ballhead
ballhead
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by coachr 17/04/12, 10:49 am

Larrythesoccerguy wrote:
deepthoughts wrote:Do you play for a coach where the same kids sit on the bench at the beginning of each game? By U10, starter vs bench sitter lines have been drawn by many coaches, not because it is smart, not because it is best, but rather because it is the status quo.

I think the bench revolution is not realistic in the North Texas community of parents that are willing to pay someone not to let their kid play. Think about how stupid that is! So the best some parents come up with is "let little jinny or jonny play for a lower level team".
Having a child under a contract where the child's family pays to be in the contract yet has no control over the wording of said contract probably make labor attorney pants go crazy. Such a contract with a minor is automatically voidable in Texas and seems pretty damn illegal.
The thought should be: you pay me and I'll sign your contract.
In light of this madness I've come up with a logical pay to play system that will obviously not be used by the club scum.
Each team in a club establishes a budget that pays EVERYTHING for one year. A club rep goes to each game that said club has a team in. This representative carefully charts the number of minutes each child plays. At the end of the month each child's minutes are tallied up and the bill is sent to the parents. Each team members portion depends on the percentage of minutes played.
coachr
coachr
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17/04/12, 10:51 am

i totally agree. i think that if you are asked to sign for a team it should be because you are good enough for that team. rotating starters would inspire confidence and keep the kids excited. I personally hate the idea of relegation for 10 and 11 year olds. it produces the mindset you talk about and coaches start coaching and thinking about winning. i think this mentality is why so many kids quit soccer. if you don't play and occasionally start , what's the point? I think that starting kids would not lead to losses because the kid would probably play at some point and holding out the carrot of starting may make the difference. good idea!

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 17/04/12, 10:52 am

Love the post.

I think starts should be driven by each individual's practice attendence that week. If one kid attends all the practices that week, while another can only attend 1 or 0, the kid that practiced should start. That system benefits everyone as increased practice attendance, something the parents and kids DO control, improves the team as a whole.

It's OK for a "star" to miss the first 5 or 10 minutes of a game while watching. You don't have to sit all your "stars" at the same time at the same game. Instead, it helps keep the talent level on the field at any given time more balanced for the entire game.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by USA203 17/04/12, 10:53 am

I don't know enough to comment on your idea other than I have wondered about this part of it. I see comments from people saying if your child is on the bench (or not getting a lot of play time) then they should just move teams next season to one where they are a starter (or where they get a lot of play time). I've wondered, if every player who is not a starter (or "lots of playtime" player) moves to another team then where does that leave the team that now has no subs for the new season and must pick up some more who then won't be happy as subs....etc, etc. It seems to me like there must be coaches who recognize that they have to play their "non-starters" a fair amount or they won't be good as subs when really needed AND they'll probably also leave at the end of the season leaving the coach to have to start all over. All this assumes, of course, that a coach would have a frank discussion with a player's parents where the player is unlikely to be successful with that team--I'm talking about subs who are playing at or near the level of the other players on the team.

USA203
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by deepthoughts 17/04/12, 10:53 am

futbollove wrote:Awesome idea. I don't see it happening here in uber-competitive NTX soccer, but I totally agree with you. All kids, should be given the chance to start, and get that experience. As well as a good experience for starters to come off the bench.

India gained its independence from England without a war. Reagan ended the Soviet Union and with it, the greatest threat to mankind without one nuke detonated. Apartheid ended in South Africa without civil war. Yet uber-competitive NTX soccer can't adopt a philosophy that results in hundreds -- if not thousands -- of girls growing up with much greater confidence? Surely the goal is worth it. If some of the coaches / parents took the lead with a gleam in their eye, I can't believe it is impossible.
deepthoughts
deepthoughts
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17/04/12, 10:57 am

"Every team has also had a parent or two who proclaimed that the player was performing poorly strictly due to the lack of confidence from: A. Not starting B. Playing time C. Coach yells at them D. Who knows? "

I hope YOU are tongue in cheek about this. Let's see, I don't start, I don't play and the coach yells at me. yep i can't wait to practice and try hard under those circumstances.... LAME. 2nd, happy w the status quo? sorry i strongly disagree. motivating players to become better soccer players is what is being paid for, NOT WINS at 10 and 11. parents like you have defiled this system for years and we all pay the price.

Back to top Go down

Starting, Bench-Sitting, and Questioning the Status Quo Empty no excuses

Post by girlovestacos 17/04/12, 11:13 am

deepthoughts wrote:
Larrythesoccerguy wrote:

First, I'm sorry about the length. I did get on a bit of a roll. There are a lot of aspects to the issue.

Second, I understand your point about finding a team that your kid will start on, but that was not my point at all. If the coaches and parent's expectations can't change, your solution is logical; however, that would simply continue the current North Texas competitive soccer path where some 25% of the hopeful young ladies in North Texas soccer get their confidence shot down at a very early age with unknown longer-term ramifications, while their parents spend around $3K a year for that privilege.

As a coach, there shouldn't be a bench player in any club setting. If you choose the players you want to play for your team and every single player hasn't what you believe to be the right stuff to start then the error is with the coach not the player. Either the coach was wrong or hasn't the skill to bring out the best in the player they saw at tryout.

Or....Bottom line is money, many coaches will take a player or several on at a higher skill level team to pay his club dues. We parents aren't idiots, just hopeful that the sales pitch the coach is giving us will pan out. This is the very reason there is so much discord in the club soccer world, everybody is working their angle to make a nonprofit organization profitable to them. Club soccer stopped being about development when clubs and coaches realized that they could raise their fees after a good statistical season.

Many will defend the status quo, it is ok to do so. Society used to defend the burning of witches too, that doesn't make it right, but at the time it was ok to do so. Many tell their kids "it is a tough, dog eat dog world out there and you should prepare for it". We should be saying, "go and make a difference, change the world to what you want it to be". So, go make a difference, Deepthoughts is trying to.
girlovestacos
girlovestacos
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17/04/12, 11:17 am

silentparent wrote:"Every team has also had a parent or two who proclaimed that the player was performing poorly strictly due to the lack of confidence from: A. Not starting B. Playing time C. Coach yells at them D. Who knows? "

I hope YOU are tongue in cheek about this. Let's see, I don't start, I don't play and the coach yells at me. yep i can't wait to practice and try hard under those circumstances.... LAME. 2nd, happy w the status quo? sorry i strongly disagree. motivating players to become better soccer players is what is being paid for, NOT WINS at 10 and 11. parents like you have defiled this system for years and we all pay the price.

Unfortunately, I think you are wrong about the coaches not getting paid to win. I think that is exactly what they are getting paid to do. And the reason is because the parents require it... ( I don't like it by the way)

Look at the other threads on this forum. Most of them are rankings threads or predictions of who will win threads. The parents are driving this and demanding that the coaches win.

What would happen if the top teams in this age groups lost three or four games in a row. This forum would be in an uproar about what players are going to leave and where they will go. A coach would read that and think, "screw this development stuff, I better win if I want to keep a team, and my job."

Until the parents change, nothing will.

With regard to the starter idea, I think that is just a symptom of the win at all cost mentality. It is a nice thought, but will not get any tractions unless the main goal is to have my kid get better, not to win all the games and be on a highly ranked team.

Back to top Go down

Post by coachr 17/04/12, 11:19 am

coachr wrote:
Larrythesoccerguy wrote:

I think the bench revolution is not realistic in the North Texas community of parents that are willing to pay someone not to let their kid play. Think about how stupid that is! So the best some parents come up with is "let little jinny or jonny play for a lower level team".
Having a child under a contract where the child's family pays to be in the contract yet has no control over the wording of said contract probably make labor attorney pants go crazy. Such a contract with a minor is automatically voidable in Texas and seems pretty damn illegal.
In light of this madness I've come up with a logical pay to play system that will obviously not be used by the club scum.
Each team in a club establishes a budget that pays EVERYTHING for one year. A club rep goes to each game that said club has a team in. This representative carefully charts the number of minutes each child plays. At the end of the month each child's minutes are tallied up and the bill is sent to the parents. Each team members portion depends on the percentage of minutes played.
The club rep salary is included in fees.
coachr
coachr
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17/04/12, 11:20 am

i agree about the winning. it is our fault as parents. i would love to see academy until 13. then it can be about winning after developing a love for the game and some skill. i think this is more like the rest of the world does youth soccer and is better off because of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by ballhead 17/04/12, 11:22 am

silentparent wrote:"Every team has also had a parent or two who proclaimed that the player was performing poorly strictly due to the lack of confidence from: A. Not starting B. Playing time C. Coach yells at them D. Who knows? "

The statement was multiple choice, A, B, C, OR D, (which was really a catchall for anything else). If they all apply, why would you allow her to stay on the team?

My own dd was a star in rec, went to the bench in academy, and worked her way to starter, went back to the bench in club, and worked her way back to full time starter.

Academy can be about finding the team that fits the player, as well as the player fitting the team. Forcing the player into the starting lineup is nuts. If starting is that important, find a team she can start on.
ballhead
ballhead
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Larrythesoccerguy 17/04/12, 11:42 am

ballhead wrote:

The statement was multiple choice, A, B, C, OR D, (which was really a catchall for anything else). If they all apply, why would you allow her to stay on the team?

My own dd was a star in rec, went to the bench in academy, and worked her way to starter, went back to the bench in club, and worked her way back to full time starter.

Academy can be about finding the team that fits the player, as well as the player fitting the team. Forcing the player into the starting lineup is nuts. If starting is that important, find a team she can start on.

I totally agree.
If starting positions are just handed out to everyone, what is the incentive for a kid to put in the extra work to get better? That sounds like rec soccer.

Larrythesoccerguy
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Bierluva 17/04/12, 11:42 am

What nobody has brought up is the fact that NTX is playing 11v11 at the age of 10. From what I researched... no one else does it... in the world. That would stop most of your "benching". With smaller sided games, you would have more teams, more playing time, smaller rosters, etc... the ages of 10-13 are very important in terms of technical development and most important, confidence building. Not only confidence in yourself, but in game time situations with the ball. These kids are going through puberty and go through a very awkward stage where their bodies grow at crazy rates and add hormones into it as well. They are going to be emotional wrecks anyway. Why not build their confidence and technical skills on smaller fields like everyone else does and minimize the bench player problem.
It really comes down to researching the right coach and not just running to big or "more established" clubs... there are some coaches that are pushing for the smaller format at these ages and are fighting the NTX uphill battle...
Bierluva
Bierluva
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Joan Of Arc 17/04/12, 11:43 am

deepthoughts wrote:
futbollove wrote:Awesome idea. I don't see it happening here in uber-competitive NTX soccer, but I totally agree with you. All kids, should be given the chance to start, and get that experience. As well as a good experience for starters to come off the bench.

India gained its independence from England without a war. Reagan ended the Soviet Union and with it, the greatest threat to mankind without one nuke detonated. Apartheid ended in South Africa without civil war. Yet uber-competitive NTX soccer can't adopt a philosophy that results in hundreds -- if not thousands -- of girls growing up with much greater confidence? Surely the goal is worth it. If some of the coaches / parents took the lead with a gleam in their eye, I can't believe it is impossible.

That's Good Stuff cheers
Joan Of Arc
Joan Of Arc
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by OOrah 17/04/12, 11:44 am

Is it better to be a bench player with decent time in D1 or a key starter in D2?
OOrah
OOrah
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Starting, Bench-Sitting, and Questioning the Status Quo Empty d2

Post by pringlelover 17/04/12, 12:35 pm

d2 starter

pringlelover
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by FCsoccer1 17/04/12, 12:39 pm

I totally see you view and I too feel this should change. This problem isn't just in Select, U6-U10 coaches are doing it too (Academy and Recreational). Bring in the money is their objective.

People & Companies are not afraid until you take them to court or report them to the BBB.
FCsoccer1
FCsoccer1
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 17/04/12, 01:04 pm

coachr wrote:
Larrythesoccerguy wrote:

Truly hilarious!! Laughing " Johnny , your getting too good and playing too many minutes. Had to pay for Suzies braces this week so we can only afford 55 minutes this week. I'll give you the sign when we are out of minutes. Fall down and grab your ankle." Razz

Last edited by my2cents on 17/04/12, 01:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

my2cents
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by $occerpro 17/04/12, 01:11 pm

Wow, dude that is some serious deep thinking! Shocked
$occerpro
$occerpro
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17/04/12, 01:17 pm

girlovestacos wrote:
deepthoughts wrote:
Larrythesoccerguy wrote:

As a coach, there shouldn't be a bench player in any club setting. If you choose the players you want to play for your team and every single player hasn't what you believe to be the right stuff to start then the error is with the coach not the player. Either the coach was wrong or hasn't the skill to bring out the best in the player they saw at tryout.

Or....Bottom line is money, many coaches will take a player or several on at a higher skill level team to pay his club dues. We parents aren't idiots, just hopeful that the sales pitch the coach is giving us will pan out. This is the very reason there is so much discord in the club soccer world, everybody is working their angle to make a nonprofit organization profitable to them. Club soccer stopped being about development when clubs and coaches realized that they could raise their fees after a good statistical season.

Many will defend the status quo, it is ok to do so. Society used to defend the burning of witches too, that doesn't make it right, but at the time it was ok to do so. Many tell their kids "it is a tough, dog eat dog world out there and you should prepare for it". We should be saying, "go and make a difference, change the world to what you want it to be". So, go make a difference, Deepthoughts is trying to.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum