North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Playing for results and standings vs. teaching the game Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Playing for results and standings vs. teaching the game

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Playing for results and standings vs. teaching the game Empty Playing for results and standings vs. teaching the game

Post by Guest 10/09/12, 06:25 am

How many coaches teaching tactics to gain a result rather than teaching the game?

Back to top Go down

Playing for results and standings vs. teaching the game Empty Re: Playing for results and standings vs. teaching the game

Post by 02Dad 10/09/12, 07:17 am

On select teams where relegation and promotion is in play, does anything else other than winning matter?
02Dad
02Dad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Playing for results and standings vs. teaching the game Empty Re: Playing for results and standings vs. teaching the game

Post by Itsme 10/09/12, 07:19 am

totalsoccer wrote:How many coaches teaching tactics to gain a result rather than teaching the game?

Aren't tactics part of the game?

Itsme
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 10/09/12, 07:28 am

Sorry but it's hard to bang on a coach for teaching the kids an aspect of the game.

When coaches teach tactics the intent is to help the team win games. I'm sitting here trying to think of a tactic that ISN'T intended to win games for you. I can't think of any.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by DrSoccer 10/09/12, 07:54 am

tactics are part of the game, but any coach should teach both. Up to about 10 it should be 80-100% skills and small sided games. Ideally that would continue till 14 but realistically by U14 the split should lean toward small sided games, drills, and scrimmages. A player should alwayswork individually on deficient skills in order to play at whatever level the team is at. Now as far as emphasizing tactics to win, thats a different bird. If your coach believes that by possessing the ball your team will win then go for it at u6. If you mean finding the biggest kid in the league and firing the ball upfront every possession then the answer is never.
DrSoccer
DrSoccer
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadrunner42 10/09/12, 08:36 am

Is it appropriate to ignore individual skills practice during the season and instead concentrate on how to beat the other team at say the u11/u12 level? What if practice time is spent on analyzing the other team's tendencies and tactics are put into place each week to overcome the next opponent?

Roadrunner42
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/09/12, 09:02 am

Itsme wrote:
totalsoccer wrote:How many coaches teaching tactics to gain a result rather than teaching the game?

Aren't tactics part of the game?

It seems that a lot of game tactics being used are more to emphasize standings and results than the development of the child. ex. bunker play vs.high and low pressure.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/09/12, 09:06 am

I don’t know maybe not keeping standings and decreasing the emphasis on league play and increasing emphasis on tournament and small sided might relieve some of the pressure of just gaining a result. What do you guys think?

Back to top Go down

Post by 4-4-2-Diamond 10/09/12, 09:07 am

Roadrunner42 wrote:Is it appropriate to ignore individual skills practice during the season and instead concentrate on how to beat the other team at say the u11/u12 level? What if practice time is spent on analyzing the other team's tendencies and tactics are put into place each week to overcome the next opponent?

Appropriate? Maybe. If the parents are ok with it and the wins keep coming, it should work for a while. It's obviously piss poor for player development.

Last edited by 4-4-2-Diamond on 10/09/12, 09:31 am; edited 1 time in total

4-4-2-Diamond
Annual Supporting Member
Annual Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/09/12, 09:08 am

02Dad wrote:On select teams where relegation and promotion is in play, does anything else other than winning matter?

I agree with you! It does seem in NTX soccer nothing else matters!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/09/12, 09:10 am

4-4-2-Diamond wrote:
Roadrunner42 wrote:Is it appropriate to ignore individual skills practice during the season and instead concentrate on how to beat the other team at say the u11/u12 level? What if practice time is spent on analyzing the other team's tendencies and tactics are put into place each week to overcome the next opponent?

Appropriate? Maybe. If the parent's are ok with it and the W's keep coming, it should work for a while. It's obviously piss poor for player development.

It seems that we are just teaching towards the test rather than developing players. Lets just start giving out all the answers.

Back to top Go down

Post by InaB 10/09/12, 09:13 am

Well, I have to think that I am hearing a case for filming opponents and having game reviews and tatics sessions in lieu of practice. Heck, they do it in high school, college and professional football - why not the real FOOTBALL? Each team can have covert parents staked out at the next opponent's game to get film. And while they are at it, they can do some scouting for next season. Why hasn't anyone already thought of this? (Umm, wait a minute, perhaps they have. Who is that guy in the hat, sunglasses and trenchcoat on the sidelines over there?) Hey fella, come here, I want to talk to you!! (Why is the guy running? I was just going to pay him for a copy of his video?) Razz
InaB
InaB
Original Supporting Member
Original Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 4-4-2-Diamond 10/09/12, 09:27 am

InaB wrote:Well, I have to think that I am hearing a case for filming opponents and having game reviews and tatics sessions in lieu of practice. Heck, they do it in high school, college and professional football - why not the real FOOTBALL? Each team can have covert parents staked out at the next opponent's game to get film. And while they are at it, they can do some scouting for next season. Why hasn't anyone already thought of this? (Umm, wait a minute, perhaps they have. Who is that guy in the hat, sunglasses and trenchcoat on the sidelines over there?) Hey fella, come here, I want to talk to you!! (Why is the guy running? I was just going to pay him for a copy of his video?) Razz

lol!

IMO there are very, very few coaches/teams guilty of this hyper focus on game planning, filming and scouting Ulittle opponents and spending an inordinate amount of practice time on weekly tactics geared toward getting the minimum required standings points against team X.

There may be others, but I only know of one.

They know they are; we know they are. It's no secret.

If you signed up for it, you knew what you were getting. Why complain now? Just accept the good with the bad in the deal you struck.

Most everyone else looks to me like they're striking a reasonable balance between getting game results and doing what's best for the talent they have at their disposal. This is a non issue for most.

4-4-2-Diamond
Annual Supporting Member
Annual Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty 10/09/12, 09:47 am

If you are a coach and want to survive in the existing environment(keep your team/keep getting paid)it is.

No wins, no bye, no team, no $.

Last edited by Lefty on 10/09/12, 09:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Lefty
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/09/12, 09:49 am

InaB wrote:Well, I have to think that I am hearing a case for filming opponents and having game reviews and tatics sessions in lieu of practice. Heck, they do it in high school, college and professional football - why not the real FOOTBALL? Each team can have covert parents staked out at the next opponent's game to get film. And while they are at it, they can do some scouting for next season. Why hasn't anyone already thought of this? (Umm, wait a minute, perhaps they have. Who is that guy in the hat, sunglasses and trenchcoat on the sidelines over there?) Hey fella, come here, I want to talk to you!! (Why is the guy running? I was just going to pay him for a copy of his video?) Razz

Who needs to film teams! we play each other so much!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/09/12, 09:52 am

All good points! Great dialogue!

Back to top Go down

Post by 4-4-2-Diamond 10/09/12, 10:04 am

If I film it's to watch my DD and see what things she is doing well and what to improve. We dont watch her game film together. [edit] Not anymore anyway.[/edit]

If dd's coach ever asked me to film I'd do it in a heartbeat because I know he is focused on our dd's more than scouting the other team.

4-4-2-Diamond
Annual Supporting Member
Annual Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/09/12, 10:15 am

4-4-2-Diamond wrote:If I film it's to watch my DD and see what things she is doing well and what to improve. We dont watch her game film together. [edit] Not anymore anyway.[/edit]

If dd's coach ever asked me to film I'd do it in a heartbeat because I know he is focused on our dd's more than scouting the other team.

Film and game analysis is an excellent learning tool!

Back to top Go down

Post by 4-4-2-Diamond 10/09/12, 10:34 am

totalsoccer wrote:
4-4-2-Diamond wrote:If I film it's to watch my DD and see what things she is doing well and what to improve. We dont watch her game film together. [edit] Not anymore anyway.[/edit]

Film and game analysis is an excellent learning tool!

To be used sparingly. Especially at 9,10,11. Overdone it just adds more pressure to an already over-pressurized environment, which is why I don't review game film with the DD anymore. If she wants to watch it on her own she can. If the coach wants to review something specific with her that's easier demonstrated on video - cool beans.

But spending hours each and every week going over every game's video is not the best use of her time at this age. Not when first touch needs work and the window for technique mastery is closing. Just my opinion anyway. I think relying so heavily on scouting and week to week tactics is appropriate for much older players, but counter-productive for this age and a symptom of being too heavily focused on the team result vs the player's long term development. When your DD is 11 and knows the roster, substitution patterns and common facial expressions of every LH team because she's watched so much game film, something isn't quite right.

4-4-2-Diamond
Annual Supporting Member
Annual Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/09/12, 10:42 am

Watching other teams and players has been good for my DD. She has not been a great student of the game, but enjoys watching her friends play!

Back to top Go down

Post by 4-4-2-Diamond 10/09/12, 10:58 am

totalsoccer wrote:Watching other teams and players has been good for my DD. She has not been a great student of the game, but enjoys watching her friends play!

Good to hear. I'm not going to Xara you for being a bad parent because you offend my sensibilities of what's acceptable for your own daughter. One kid's poison could be another kid's pill. I made my DD lookup Zidane videos. I honestly beleieve that did more for her game than all the Ulittle video she's ever seen.

4-4-2-Diamond
Annual Supporting Member
Annual Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/09/12, 11:00 am

my dd has never watched a Ulittle video!

Back to top Go down

Post by 4-4-2-Diamond 10/09/12, 11:10 am

totalsoccer wrote:my dd has never watched a Ulittle video!

Pardon me for being imprecise. lol! I still refer to 11-year-olds as Ulittles. They are growing up fast.

4-4-2-Diamond
Annual Supporting Member
Annual Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/09/12, 11:27 am

4-4-2-Diamond wrote:
totalsoccer wrote:my dd has never watched a Ulittle video!

Pardon me for being imprecise. lol! I still refer to 11-year-olds as Ulittles. They are growing up fast.

They are growing up to fast!

Back to top Go down

Post by IKnowMyABCs 10/09/12, 01:25 pm

Depends on the age. But top level academy teams (top 10 ish) definitely must also teach tactics in order to win. As in, if the field is going to be big we must condition and do switching, long passing, put top players on defense, etc. Whatever percentage of time is spent on these things necessarily takes at least some time away from individual skills training (foot skills, receiving, trapping, etc). Also, a team more focused on the win pretty much has to put kids into certain positions and leave them there. The top level of competition often demands this in order to be competitive. In addition, most top level player's parents feel the need to seek additional skills training besides regular practices. Also, if a coach can keep his team in the "limelight" with wins, he/she can also draw already skilled players from other club teams, requiring less skills training. It is what it is, I guess. If your kid is a top player on a top team and you don't mind doing additional skills work, then it works for you. And it is nice for kids to get to play with other top players. Now, if your kid is just a decent player on a top team but is not developing enough skills and/or not being allowed to make mistakes or try a new position because of the fear of losing then maybe you might make the choice to find (I'm talking academy here) a team where they can get more skills and have opportunities to try new things even though the team overall w/l record is not as good. Just depends on the kids and parents I'd say.

IKnowMyABCs
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next