North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Can private school students try out for public school athletics? Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Can private school students try out for public school athletics?

Go down

Can private school students try out for public school athletics? Empty Can private school students try out for public school athletics?

Post by TXSoccerMom2202 06/02/13, 11:08 am

I couldn't find much on the internet so I am just trying to get some basic info. Can private school students try out for public school athletis? Does each school district set their own quidelines?
If so, does anyone have any first hand experience with the process?

Just curious...

TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Can private school students try out for public school athletics? Empty Re: Can private school students try out for public school athletics?

Post by santos.l.halper 06/02/13, 11:23 am

Depends on the state law. Florida passed "The Tebow Rule" that allowed the home schooled superstar athlete to play in a public school. Texas has no such analogous law/rule. Yet. Got any connections in Austin?
santos.l.halper
santos.l.halper
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Can private school students try out for public school athletics? Empty Re: Can private school students try out for public school athletics?

Post by my2cents 06/02/13, 12:57 pm

Yes..., but Texas also has no law or rules specifically forbidding it. At least 7 or 8 years ago they didn't. But... ADs and the UIL will tell you it is not allowed. The ADs have the authority to do so and choose to not go through the difficult task of verifying academic eligibility ( accredited course program, verifiable grades, standardized test scores.) The UIL will just tell you no, it is not allowed, which is a lie. It is (or was) not in their bylaws or rules anywhere. I researched them for homeschool which under law in Texas is considered private school. I know a coach who had homeschoolers on a public school soccer team in Houston about 10 years ago. He is up here now and told me back then he would love to have my homeschooled sons play but his AD would not allow it.

my2cents
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sDad 06/02/13, 01:24 pm

Texas has UIL (public) and TAPPS (private) leagues. Jesuit used to play in TAPPS, then switched over to UIL. I know there is a "home school" team in TAPPS that is an organization of home school students that have put together teams. I know that players on TAPPS teams get scouted the same if not more than UIL teams, due to the fact that most private schools are "college preparatory" schools, so the assumption is that the student is more prepared for college than the ordinary public school student...(notice I said assumption). Also, there are a significant number of club players in TAPPS due to the affluence factor, and that also coincides with the assumption of the ability of the parents to pay for college due to limited scholarships (on the boys side).
10sDad
10sDad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffM 06/02/13, 01:45 pm

10sDad wrote:Texas has UIL (public) and TAPPS (private) leagues. Jesuit used to play in TAPPS, then switched over to UIL. I know there is a "home school" team in TAPPS that is an organization of home school students that have put together teams. I know that players on TAPPS teams get scouted the same if not more than UIL teams, due to the fact that most private schools are "college preparatory" schools, so the assumption is that the student is more prepared for college than the ordinary public school student...(notice I said assumption). Also, there are a significant number of club players in TAPPS due to the affluence factor, and that also coincides with the assumption of the ability of the parents to pay for college due to limited scholarships (on the boys side).

If you are referring to HSAA,(just to clarify) They aren't officially part of any league/organization, they schedule whomever will play them. Typically, they play private schools until Christmas, and public afterward. And as of now in soccer, they have Girls Varsity & JV, Boys Varsity & JV, and Boys & Girls middle school. They also have a number of teams in other sports as well, including pointy ball.

http://www.hsaa.org/

this takes you to the front page, scroll down the left side to see info & schedules

Last edited by JeffM on 06/02/13, 03:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sDad 06/02/13, 01:49 pm

JeffM wrote:
10sDad wrote:Texas has UIL (public) and TAPPS (private) leagues. Jesuit used to play in TAPPS, then switched over to UIL. I know there is a "home school" team in TAPPS that is an organization of home school students that have put together teams. I know that players on TAPPS teams get scouted the same if not more than UIL teams, due to the fact that most private schools are "college preparatory" schools, so the assumption is that the student is more prepared for college than the ordinary public school student...(notice I said assumption). Also, there are a significant number of club players in TAPPS due to the affluence factor, and that also coincides with the assumption of the ability of the parents to pay for college due to limited scholarships (on the boys side).

If you are referring to HSAA,(just to clarify) They aren't officially part of any league/organization, they schedule whomever will play them. Typically, they play private schools until Christmas, and public afterward. And as of now in soccer, they have Girls Varsity & JV, Boys Varsity & JV, and Boys & Girls middle school. They also have a number of teams in other sports as well, including pointy ball.

http://www.hsaa.org/

this takes you to the front page, schroll down the left side to see info & schedules
Cool! Their organization is coming together nicely! good to see. I always thought athletics and after-school activities was a huge detriment to home schooling. Glad to see progress in that area.
10sDad
10sDad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by ekkeeper1 06/02/13, 03:35 pm

The varsity girls home school team is pretty good they have some good players on their team. I refereed them a few weeks ago at a tournament. I would like to see them against some of the decent hs teams because the game i watched they were a lot better then the team they played. They defiantly have some club players on their team.

ekkeeper1
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by santos.l.halper 06/02/13, 03:47 pm

ekkeeper1 wrote:The varsity girls home school team is pretty good they have some good players on their team. I refereed them a few weeks ago at a tournament. I would like to see them against some of the decent hs teams because the game i watched they were a lot better then the team they played. They defiantly have some club players on their team.

On the site, they are permanent national champions in the home school soccer world. Way to represent North Texas soccer! cheers
santos.l.halper
santos.l.halper
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Son_ofa_Pitch 06/02/13, 04:14 pm

I believe you have to be enrolled in the school to participate in athletics. But I can be wrong..
Son_ofa_Pitch
Son_ofa_Pitch
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Number07 07/02/13, 09:18 am

I would think with the transfer and recruiting rules it would be hard to do
Number07
Number07
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07/02/13, 09:29 am

Public schools are bounded to students within the borders of their districts. Private schools through TAPPS have transfer dates set for fall, winter, and spring sports. As long as you are enrolled as a full time student before these transfer dates you are eligible to play a sport in TAPPS.

Back to top Go down

Post by TXSoccerMom2202 07/02/13, 02:35 pm

Thanks for all the responses. I am reading each one and trying to make sense of it all.

My daughter attends a private school but we are zoned for Hebron HS. I would think that since that is my "designated school" and I pay into the school taxe base, she should at least be given a chance to try out for a sports teams, though at best, I'll bet it's highly discouraged from the school district and would be a nightmare getting a clear cut answer. We have a few years yet but I was just wondering how that might work.

TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07/02/13, 03:06 pm

TXSoccerMom2202 wrote:Thanks for all the responses. I am reading each one and trying to make sense of it all.

My daughter attends a private school but we are zoned for Hebron HS. I would think that since that is my "designated school" and I pay into the school taxe base, she should at least be given a chance to try out for a sports teams, though at best, I'll bet it's highly discouraged from the school district and would be a nightmare getting a clear cut answer. We have a few years yet but I was just wondering how that might work.

I would guess that UIL has a rule stating she must be a full time student to participate. What private does she attend? Move her to a private that plays winter soccer. There are many good private school female teams to choose from. ie Prestonwood Baptist, Carrollton Christian

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffM 07/02/13, 04:31 pm

totalsoccer wrote:
TXSoccerMom2202 wrote:Thanks for all the responses. I am reading each one and trying to make sense of it all.

I would guess that UIL has a rule stating she must be a full time student to participate. What private does she attend? Move her to a private that plays winter soccer. There are many good private school female teams to choose from. ie Prestonwood Baptist, Carrollton Christian

There may also be an option of paying a participation fee to another private school to play there, especially if your school does not have a team. My daughter (now 20) was in a private school orchestra when we were homeschooling her. They allowed her to pay a fee, for that class only. That may be an option as well, you would have to contact the private school you are interested in to be sure.

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by tornado11 23/05/13, 08:42 pm

ekkeeper1 wrote:The varsity girls home school team is pretty good they have some good players on their team. I refereed them a few weeks ago at a tournament. I would like to see them against some of the decent hs teams because the game i watched they were a lot better then the team they played. They defiantly have some club players on their team.

Some years they are quite decent...but not this past season. I watched them get blasted by Hockaday (8-3 IIRC) and Greenhill (4-0)....by the way, why no mention of SPC private schools ?....the main ones, Hockaday, ESD, Greenhill and Ft Worth Country Day would beat (and do regularly) most TAPPS schools...for example...ESD and Greenhill combined went 6 and 0 vs TAPPS schools this past season...

tornado11
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by tornado11 23/05/13, 08:44 pm

santos.l.halper wrote:

On the site, they are permanent national champions in the home school soccer world. Way to represent North Texas soccer! cheers

...like being the one eyed man in the land of the blind methinks...

tornado11
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffM 25/05/13, 01:40 pm

tornado11 wrote:
santos.l.halper wrote:

...like being the one eyed man in the land of the blind methinks...

Maybe not so much anymore. came in 2nd this year. Team from STX won it. Took two OTs, and 13 PKs though.

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by JH01 25/05/13, 01:49 pm

No they cant. Private school students must play for their private schools sports teams

JH01
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 25/05/13, 04:15 pm

I know home school students will soon be able to play with their local public schools via the pending tebow homeschool law.
Blank77
Blank77
Original Supporting Member
Original Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fhjmom 25/05/13, 11:09 pm

Blank77 wrote:I know home school students will soon be able to play with their local public schools via the pending tebow homeschool law.

It looks like the Tebow bill is dying in committee this session, so nothing will change, at least for now.

fhjmom
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down