North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Using only 1 Goalkeeper - Page 2 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Using only 1 Goalkeeper

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Using only 1 Goalkeeper - Page 2 Empty Re: Using only 1 Goalkeeper

Post by keep22 03/04/13, 10:24 am

as parent of stud GK cheers

"no fair" cries the parent of the backup GK. want fair see GLASA Rec

and yes all of us GK parents think their DD's are stud keeps...all in fun yall

keep22
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 03/04/13, 10:30 am

bigtex75081 wrote:
silentparent wrote:
bigtex75081 wrote:By the time they are U14/15, a superstar field player (forward, mid, defender) would never accept a situation in which they sit 50% of every game, even for the top-most team. Why would 2 superstar GKs accept that limitation?

True, what you have is THE goalkeeper and a kid who watches the games and waits for THE goalkeeper to get hurt or the score is so high they can come in....
Yeah but if you're that backup... I think you (and your parents) would have to be absolutely insane to sign that contract.

But frankly what choice do you have? Your kid is probably by now a gk not a field player. There are only so many gk positions to go around. You hope you get your chance or find another team where YOU are the main gk......

Back to top Go down

Post by TatonkaBurger 03/04/13, 10:33 am

I agree that all GKs should practice as a field player with the team and then get extra work as a GK after/before team practice. It is extra time but it comes with the territory of a specialized position. Also agree that competition is great at any level, whether academy or select, so having to GKs on a roster who challenge each other is a good thing. I am just not sure at what age the GK should be full-time and the GK sub is really just a field player who has some GK skills/experience.
TatonkaBurger
TatonkaBurger
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 03/04/13, 10:40 am

Silentparent, you are priceless. Gunners must think that because we post in Academy we are naive to the nuances of North Texas competetive girls soccer and how that pertains to the position of goalkeeper. The bottom line is you go with your starter until she is no longer the starter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 03/04/13, 10:53 am

Cleansheets wrote:Silentparent, you are priceless. Gunners must think that because we post in Academy we are naive to the nuances of North Texas competetive girls soccer and how that pertains to the position of goalkeeper. The bottom line is you go with your starter until she is no longer the starter.

Exactly, not sure which coach gunners refers to. Hey games on the line, suzy i know you are the starting keeper for every game and play most of the games and have played fantastic but its jennys turn... scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunners 03/04/13, 11:07 am

silentparent wrote:
Cleansheets wrote:Silentparent, you are priceless. Gunners must think that because we post in Academy we are naive to the nuances of North Texas competetive girls soccer and how that pertains to the position of goalkeeper. The bottom line is you go with your starter until she is no longer the starter.

Exactly, not sure which coach gunners refers to. Hey games on the line, suzy i know you are the starting keeper for every game and play most of the games and have played fantastic but its jennys turn... scratch

Get back to me in a few years and let me know how your assumption of 90/10 playing time for GK's works out.

As I said, at older ages coaches NEED two keepers. When they NEED two keepers, they must work the playing time out to where both GK's are content. A backup keeper will not be content with 90/10.

TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 03/04/13, 11:20 am

Gunners wrote:
silentparent wrote:

Get back to me in a few years and let me know how your assumption of 90/10 playing time for GK's works out.

As I said, at older ages coaches NEED two keepers. When they NEED two keepers, they must work the playing time out to where both GK's are content. A backup keeper will not be content with 90/10.

that's what you don't get,we already know kids that are on several teams that do this... Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by sideline fan 03/04/13, 12:09 pm

I absolutely agree that a back up keeper is needed--but i also believe it should be a field player and just one main keeper. This is a highly skilled position. The U11 keepers i know not only go to team practice (foot and ball skills) but go to keeper training at least once a week. This is in addition to keeper camps. lots of dedication to get better by most of these ladies. Why put in this amount of time if you are only playing 50%.

sideline fan
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 03/04/13, 02:13 pm

silentparent wrote:
Gunners wrote:
silentparent wrote:

that's what you don't get,we already know kids that are on several teams that do this... Rolling Eyes
I’m sorry but I’m struggling to get past this. I need to just go ahead and write it out so I can stop dwelling on it…

What kind of a moron would sign up (or their kid up) to play exclusively as a backup GK? (I’m not talking about a GK/Field Player combo.) If you sign on for something like that, you’re an idiot. What lesson are you teaching your kid in that situation? How the world appears from the bench? How to properly applaud the people that are actually in the arena?

If your team had wanted me to be a dedicated backup keeper for your squad, with no field time, you’d better be cutting me checks every month. I don’t care how good the team is. Playing is fun. Sitting on the bench is not fun. And when it stops being fun then it starts being a job. I value my time so when it starts feeling like a job, I need to get paid for my time. And I’m not even talking about just playing on a partial or full scholarship… F*&% THAT!!!! I mean you need to pay me cash money $$$ for my services in addition to a full scholarship.

I understand you may want your team to have a backup goalkeeper but those kids step out there to be on the field. They don’t go out there to watch someone else play in their place.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by SocDad 03/04/13, 02:48 pm

So I have been ready everyone's opinion and have a few questions or comments:

1. We are playing Academy now and have 1 year before select. But more importantly, I am looking to the future and want to learn from everyone about what is to come our way. My worst fear is finding out things I wish I have know from prior experienced players/Parents.

2. If you have 2 equally just a good Keepers....or lets say for argument sake that my DD doesn't get the starter position....won't my kid get bored? And just because someone didn't make starter for one team doesn't mean they are not good enough to play for another team? From what I have learned so far....is that its a small window of opportunity to learn and get good before the SH!t gets real (Select) only to be wasted only playing 50% of the time. Practice all you want but the real learning comes from the stress's of games.

3. As for training, what I am experiencing now is that she is having to sacrifice a team training with a dedicated Keeper training. So is it normal to have a team practice and keeper training all in the same night/day, like having team practice then do keeper training? And yes, that is a lot of extra training to do for just 50% play. And as the girls get older...what would be the reasons why a player would want to be part of a team just to sit on the bench?

4. I forget who mentioned......"got tired of specialized keeper practice and being put in keeper during practice as well"....well this is happening to us.... and it is target practice with very little field time.

SocDad
SocDad
Annual Supporting Member
Annual Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by TatonkaBurger 03/04/13, 03:39 pm

SocDad wrote:So I have been ready everyone's opinion and have a few questions or comments:

1. We are playing Academy now and have 1 year before select. But more importantly, I am looking to the future and want to learn from everyone about what is to come our way. My worst fear is finding out things I wish I have know from prior experienced players/Parents.

2. If you have 2 equally just a good Keepers....or lets say for argument sake that my DD doesn't get the starter position....won't my kid get bored? And just because someone didn't make starter for one team doesn't mean they are not good enough to play for another team? From what I have learned so far....is that its a small window of opportunity to learn and get good before the SH!t gets real (Select) only to be wasted only playing 50% of the time. Practice all you want but the real learning comes from the stress's of games.

3. As for training, what I am experiencing now is that she is having to sacrifice a team training with a dedicated Keeper training. So is it normal to have a team practice and keeper training all in the same night/day, like having team practice then do keeper training? And yes, that is a lot of extra training to do for just 50% play. And as the girls get older...what would be the reasons why a player would want to be part of a team just to sit on the bench?

4. I forget who mentioned......"got tired of specialized keeper practice and being put in keeper during practice as well"....well this is happening to us.... and it is target practice with very little field time.

Quick questions: what made your DD decide to be a GK? How are her skills on the field? Was she forced to be a GK because of a lack of field skills? What does she want to do going forward, be a full-time GK or play both GK (50%) and in the field (50%)?

You want to be prepared for the future but you need to know what is best for your DD too. As has been mentioned, a specialized position at this age requires more time and commitment. If you are all-in for being a GK, you need to be all in. FWIW, Hope Solo only started playing GK in college at UW, not before.

Last edited by TatonkaBurger on 03/04/13, 03:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit/clarify)
TatonkaBurger
TatonkaBurger
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 03/04/13, 03:45 pm

true but hope solo is a world class athlete. I think the real question is does your DD have a burning desire to be a gk or just kinda likes being a gk? i personally think gk'sfall behind in their footskills as a rule, so i would encourage you to be clear in your mind and of course your dd mind as to what she would like to do...

Back to top Go down

Post by good4nuthin 03/04/13, 03:50 pm

SocDad wrote:So I have been ready everyone's opinion and have a few questions or comments:

At this time last year, my GK who goes select in July, was playing in as many games with as many teams we could fit in. She was on three rosters in three different leagues and guested for anyone who needed her. Some times she shared time, sometimes she played the entire game. Sometimes she played three games back to back without a break.

We now have her down to two rosters within the same organization. Sometimes she shares time, sometimes not. But she plays three futsal games and three outdoor games per weekend - she gets plenty of touches regardless if she shares time.

I guess my point is, good Goalkeepers at this age (for any age at that matter) are in demand. If you want her to play more and she wants to play more, go play more! You are unrestricted for another year, make the most of it.

And as an added benefit, you will know many coaches and they will know your DD. If she ever wants to make a move or does not want to share time, you will have options.
good4nuthin
good4nuthin
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 03/04/13, 03:59 pm

I got tired just reading that!

Back to top Go down

Post by good4nuthin 03/04/13, 04:16 pm

Cleansheets wrote:I got tired just reading that!

I am doing my best to ruin her and am secretly trying to get her to take up golf. But the kid keeps making saves and won't take those dang gloves off. Even when she is playing in the field in practice she wears them.

I swear she is crazy like her mother.

Going select and only having one game per week will be like being on vacation...
good4nuthin
good4nuthin
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by TatonkaBurger 03/04/13, 04:31 pm

silentparent wrote:true but hope solo is a world class athlete. I think the real question is does your DD have a burning desire to be a gk or just kinda likes being a gk? i personally think gk'sfall behind in their footskills as a rule, so i would encourage you to be clear in your mind and of course your dd mind as to what she would like to do...

I absolutely agree, was just trying to make the point that if your DD wants to be a GK, the decision does not have to be made right now.

As you were.
TatonkaBurger
TatonkaBurger
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by ekkeeper1 03/04/13, 04:33 pm

I actually made my club team, that i mentioned previously as a field player/back up keeper. I was willing to put in the work even as a back up to get more goal time, over time it showed. I got much better then the other keeper where originally we were very close in ability. I also played on the field though so I was never sitting on bench or at least for full games etc. The longer I stayed with the team the more goal time I got until I said either I wanted to play full time or I would move on. Worked out for everyone. I doubt i would have stayed on the team long though if i had just been a back up keeper and never played I would never have stayed with my team.

A good thing to remember coaches will look for different things in goalkeepers some like taller ones some more athletic ones it all depends. So whats good for one coach may not be something another coach would look for. When i did finally move on from team there were a few teams who would not take me because I was "too short." Im about 5' 6."

I would maybe look for a coach that makes the keeper spend time in team training on the field. Yes utilize in goal sometimes or in some shooting drills but also give opportunity to work on the field.

ekkeeper1
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by keep22 03/04/13, 04:53 pm

socdad
forget the crap about small window to be a good keeper. your DD is still young...the window slams faster on field skills. go and check out older team practices. find a coach/team that spends the first 45-60 minutes of practice learning field/foot skills that include their keepers. you and your DD will regret not getting them if she ever decides not to be a GK.

above all "keeper" happy not bored...bah dumb teesh!

keep22
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 03/04/13, 06:47 pm

I like the 2 comments immediately above from keep22 and ekkeeper1.

If you're going to shop for a new coach... Consider a coach that was a goalkeeper during his/her playing career. Some coaches that only played in the field during their careers don't always relate well to goalies. Those coaches seem to prefer just nudging their goalies to the club's keeper coach instead. Or they instruct their goalie to stay in goal for 80% of every practice for the rest of the group to work on shooting. A head coach that played goalkeeper will have a better understanding of the path in front of your DD.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Using only 1 Goalkeeper - Page 2 Empty Keeper Experiences that Got Results

Post by powerkeep1 12/05/13, 04:57 pm

We went through a phase set on playing full time vs sharing goal and found our daughter learned more in goal with a similar skilled keeper and a defensive minded coach than full time with a club and coach without knowledge of the keeper position. We also recommend playing multiple sports for the most athletic players. Ours played soccer and basketbal up till sophomore year and still does soccer and HS track.Her personal Keeper coach really likes basketball as a great cross training tool for soccer footwork and has given her more explosive ability and quickness. Do not recommend field play for serious college minded goalkeepers. It's usually only beneficial for the coach and club. As for spending time on the bench a student of the game can learn as much watching from the bench as on the field if they are truly dedicated to learning the position.HS age keepers that desire to play D1 college soccer are also dedicating 2-4 hours of one on one keeper training with a personal coach outside of club each week. We also recommend the HS soccer experience. She has faced some of the top collegiate prospects from 94,95,96, and 97 classes.

powerkeep1
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2