North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Anyone have a child that plays soccer with bifocal glasses? Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Anyone have a child that plays soccer with bifocal glasses?

Go down

Anyone have a child that plays soccer with bifocal glasses? Empty Anyone have a child that plays soccer with bifocal glasses?

Post by jimmye4golf 01/04/14, 08:44 am

Our 3 year old daughter just started soccer this season and she wears bifocal glasses with a prism to help straigten one lazy eye. When she dribbles she looks straight down at the ball. Im wondering if the bifocal or prism makes it hard to see the ball so she looks farther down to get past the bifocal part of the lens. She has only played in 4 games and is a monster on the field. Just wondering if anyone else has delt with this or heard of it. Thanks

jimmye4golf
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Anyone have a child that plays soccer with bifocal glasses? Empty Re: Anyone have a child that plays soccer with bifocal glasses?

Post by soccerisdumb 01/04/14, 09:38 am

The prism will actually help her.  Good for you for having a 3 yo wearing them!  My DD is also playing U4 and she is a beast as well.  Good luck with the season   Very Happy

soccerisdumb
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Anyone have a child that plays soccer with bifocal glasses? Empty Re: Anyone have a child that plays soccer with bifocal glasses?

Post by Coach&Ref 01/04/14, 09:42 am

jimmye4golf wrote:Our 3 year old daughter just started soccer this season and she wears bifocal glasses with a prism to help straigten one lazy eye. When she dribbles she looks straight down at the ball. Im wondering if the bifocal or prism makes it hard to see the ball so she looks farther down to get past the bifocal part of the lens. She has only played in 4 games and is a monster on the field. Just wondering if anyone else has delt with this or heard of it.  Thanks

I don't know about the medical condition with her eye and if it correctable, but I can tell you that 100% of kids her age and up, keep their heads down when dribbling the ball. At those younger ages, it takes an enormous amount of concentration to even focus on dribbling, no matter who the child is. In fact, you will hardly see any kids at ages 5-6yo perceive that they even have any teammates. If a game is 5v5, to them it's like 1v9. No one should worry about this, since it means the confidence is building within the child and encouraging growing footskills that will help later down the road.

You have plenty of time to correct the medical issue, if possible, and don't worry at all about her soccer development right now. Just let her play around and have fun. There are plenty of girls who are very skilled who wear glasses/contacts who have no issues on the pitch.

Play lots of other sports right now and just let her be a child.

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmye4golf 01/04/14, 10:39 am

Oh I agree with glasses and contacts not hurting anything. Ive worn glasses/contacts since the 2nd grade and have played football, soccer, golf, baseball and tennis with no problem. Well no vision problem. I was curious about the bifocal part at the bottom of the lens. They are designed to see up close like for reading. My mother wears bifocals and I gave her a soccer ball and told her to look down at it and she said it was extremly blurry. ( just did this about 10 mins ago). Our 5 year old has played since she was 3 also and has never looked down like our 3 year old does. Actually Ive never seen anyone play soccer look down like she does. She has been wearing glasses for almost a year and a half and her eye has improved tremendously.

jimmye4golf
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Coach&Ref 01/04/14, 01:46 pm

jimmye4golf wrote: Our 5 year old has played since she was 3 also and has never looked down like our 3 year old does. Actually Ive never seen anyone play soccer look down like she does. She has been wearing glasses for almost a year and a half and her eye has improved tremendously.

No disrespect, but how long have you coached rec/academy/select? It is hard enough to get select girls to keep their heads up with the ball at their feet, let alone 3-5yos.

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by fhjmom 01/04/14, 02:22 pm

Coach&Ref wrote:
jimmye4golf wrote: Our 5 year old has played since she was 3 also and has never looked down like our 3 year old does. Actually Ive never seen anyone play soccer look down like she does. She has been wearing glasses for almost a year and a half and her eye has improved tremendously.

No disrespect, but how long have you coached rec/academy/select? It is hard enough to get select girls to keep their heads up with the ball at their feet, let alone 3-5yos.

No disrespect, but I took this, "Ive never seen anyone play soccer look down like she does", to mean that he has never seen a player look down in the same manner in which his DD looks down. I don't think he meant that he hasn't seen young players look down at the ball, just that his DD is looking down differently or in a more exaggerated fashion, possibly due to the bifocals. I can understand that a player with bifocals might feel the need to look down even more so than a player with typical vision to see over the top of the prism part of the lens.

fhjmom
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Coach&Ref 01/04/14, 02:31 pm

fhjmom wrote:
Coach&Ref wrote:

No disrespect, but I took this, "Ive never seen anyone play soccer look down like she does", to mean that he has never seen a player look down in the same manner in which his DD looks down. I don't think he meant that he hasn't seen young players look down at the ball, just that his DD is looking down differently or in a more exaggerated fashion, possibly due to the bifocals. I can understand that a player with bifocals might feel the need to look down even more so than a player with typical vision to see over the top of the prism part of the lens.

Oh OK. I might have just misinterpreted it. Sorry if I did.

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down