North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

June 1st-looking and need advice Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

June 1st-looking and need advice

Go down

June 1st-looking and need advice Empty June 1st-looking and need advice

Post by Uncanny 26/05/14, 10:54 pm

DD's team is no longer a good fit, so it's time for her to look around.  Personally, we’ve never had to do this, and so the process seems daunting. What kinds of questions should I be asking coaches before/after attending practices or guest playing?  I know each coach is different but I’ve heard so many stories of coaches stringing players along promising them a spot and then ‘not having room’ for them at the last minute…commonplace or just bad luck?  How can that be avoided? Feeling there is plenty to be wary of but not sure what to watch for Shocked Any advice is appreciated! My daughter is an '00 if that makes any difference...

Uncanny
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

June 1st-looking and need advice Empty Re: June 1st-looking and need advice

Post by fatherofoneplayer 27/05/14, 08:57 am

Uncanny wrote:DD's team is no longer a good fit, so it's time for her to look around.  Personally, we’ve never had to do this, and so the process seems daunting. What kinds of questions should I be asking coaches before/after attending practices or guest playing?  I know each coach is different but I’ve heard so many stories of coaches stringing players along promising them a spot and then ‘not having room’ for them at the last minute…commonplace or just bad luck?  How can that be avoided? Feeling there is plenty to be wary of but not sure what to watch for Shocked Any advice is appreciated! My daughter is an '00 if that makes any difference...

Best advice I can give is this.......Do not feel that you need to find a team by July 1st. IMO one month is not near long enough to be sure you found the right place. Take your time and visit as many teams as you can until you find the right place. Good luck.
fatherofoneplayer
fatherofoneplayer
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by RightWingDad 27/05/14, 09:12 am

My advice, check your network. What dad's do you know on other 00 teams...that you can trust? Also, does your dd know kids at school or church that she could talk to...or introduce you to her dad? If you are looking at a large club, you could try calling the DOC (director of coaching).

Do you have a good relationship with your current coach? If you do, that might be very worthwhile. I'm quite sure he/she would be more than willing to give you some suggestions.

If you've been at this for a few years (unless you just moved here this year) you should know how some of the teams in your league play. Also, you can check the upcoming in town tournaments. That might be a great place to watch teams/coaches and do a little networking.

Here's a random thought, and one I'll probably get a lot of ribbing for...but if you go to a tournament, maybe ask a ref. I get very frustrated at quite a lot of them, but you never know. Whether you are looking for a new job, or finding a new team it never hurts to turn over every rock possible.

We soccer parents have either been there or will be in the future. Best of luck to you and your DD!.
RightWingDad
RightWingDad
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Hamster 27/05/14, 04:19 pm

Attend some practices.

Do the other players show on time? This is a good gauge of team discipline.
Do the players seem happy and joke around together? How structured is the practice? How long have the existing players been attached to the team. Teams with good long term retention are usually healthy places to be.

Most important: try to guest play with the team. You will learn a lot about coaches, players, & parents during competitive play. After the guest play, request a conference with the coach regarding his/her assessment of your player's strengths & weaknesses.

Mia Hamster
Mia Hamster
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by InaB 28/05/14, 10:42 am

I agree with Mia and several others. First and foremost, you need to know how your DD reacts to the coach and the team. You have to obtain feedback from the coach on what he likes/doesn't like (yes to both). You have to talk to team parents to understand the workings of the team and parents (if you are told something like "we have a very strong core of girls who have been with the team forever, and we are rebuilding with girls who fit better," that could be a warning sign). And remember, go early and go often - research and find several teams who might be a fit and go back more than twice. Its like dating, people tend to be really on their toes the first couple of dates.

If the coach gives you good constructive feedback after practice and gives your DD good constructive feedback during practice then that should be a team you continue to practice with.

Just remember that you and your DD are going through a job interview. As much as you are checking them out the team/coach is checking you out. Your DD needs to go out and show them what they would miss out on. She needs to take in any advice and act on it. She needs to always, always, always put her best foot forward. She needs to show what she has to offer that no other player can do the same way.
InaB
InaB
Original Supporting Member
Original Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by legitsoccermom 28/05/14, 12:59 pm

Anyone who has to find another team needs to justreference back to this reply up above. I can't quote on mobile but That is great advice INaB
legitsoccermom
legitsoccermom
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Ilik2wach 29/05/14, 07:35 am

There is quite a bit of good advice above. Having done this a few times with my multiple kids/players, one suggestion I would make would be to go out and scout and observe practices and/or matches without anyone on the team you are looking at knowing you are there (if possible). This can be time consuming, however, it allows you to observe how the team and coach behave "normally" without either side "auditioning".
Ilik2wach
Ilik2wach
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down