North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Why is there No protection given to Keepers anymore Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Why is there No protection given to Keepers anymore

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Why is there No protection given to Keepers anymore Empty Why is there No protection given to Keepers anymore

Post by GGoat 27/07/14, 11:16 am

My dd has played keeper for 7 years and I have noticed a decrease in the refs protecting the keepers. She has been hit knocked down kicked and even knocked out with no calls. In ODP and other keeper coaches have taught her when you jump to raise your knee or dive to lift your leg to protect your chest and abd on a 1 v 1. Yesterday she was involved in a 1 v1 and came out the forward kicked the ball and she dove but missed the ball and raised her leg like she had been taught the forward ran over her like we have all seen a million times the ball went wide and a few minutes later the ref blew the whistle and called a pk and said the keeper raised her leg. I know they have not been protecting the keepers as much anymore but to penalize them for protecting themselves is crazy. What are the rules on this and has anyone else heard of this.

GGoat
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Why is there No protection given to Keepers anymore Empty Re: Why is there No protection given to Keepers anymore

Post by Triumph FC 27/07/14, 11:48 am

If there is no connection on the ball by the GK and they take the player out it's a foul and a penalty kick.
Triumph FC
Triumph FC
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

http://www.triumphfc.org

Back to top Go down

Why is there No protection given to Keepers anymore Empty Re: Why is there No protection given to Keepers anymore

Post by GGoat 27/07/14, 11:58 am

Then why isnt that called on every 1 v 1 most of the time the keeper cant get to the ball the reason they come out is to cut off the angle so the keeper cant dive for a ball and miss if they take a good shot also the ref said she cant raise her legs which is what she has been taught to protect herself. Also many times she connects with the ball and the forward sill kicks her or lands on her and the ref makes no call against the forwards. One time she had the ball in both hands the forward ran into her kneed her in the head knocked her out then kicked the ball in the net and no call and counted the goal.

Last edited by GGoat on 27/07/14, 07:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

GGoat
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 27/07/14, 12:48 pm

No contact with ball! PK! Sound like a occupational hazard!

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by ONLYASOCCERDAD 27/07/14, 12:53 pm

ggoat, as she gets older it will become more and more physical. generally speaking there will be a call on a hard collision, with the ball being awarded to the person that gets the first touch on the ball. the ref could have as easily called the fowl without you dd having raised her leg.

ONLYASOCCERDAD
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Triumph FC 27/07/14, 01:06 pm

Depends, all situations are totally different. The refs job is to protect ALL players and I understand the GK job is probably the hazardous on the field but the way you keep discribing it he thought that your daughter came out in a dangerous manner, whether contact is made with the opposing player or not if intent is there it's a foul
Triumph FC
Triumph FC
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Coach&Ref 27/07/14, 03:04 pm

That's an easy call as everyone has told you.

To your second point: keepers are allowed to protect themselves with their knee IF they are, in the opinion of the referee, not lunging out with it raised in traffic, where it would be dangerous to other players. Some keepers take advantage of this because they have been afforded WAY more protection than in the past.

Also, keep in mind, that any other player has just as much right to the ball as the keeper.

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by GGoat 27/07/14, 05:57 pm

My point is the refs do not protect the keepers anymore. We had a game today high ball came in she jumped the other team pushed her down another girl headed it out of bounds. He did make a call when 2 girls pushed her in the goal on a corner kick and she was able to reach around the pole and push it out. There is no down side to forwards to foul the keeper esp when they dont make the calls or have a chance for a pk it rewards them to do so.When 2 players are running to a ball the keeper dives to block it and the forward runs over her after shooting . The forward could have jumped over her or tried to avoid but she knows if she hits her there will not be a call and she may get a pk out of it. All because there is rarely ever a call to protect the keeper anymore and if there is a call it really doesnt matter because its just a free kick from the goal box. To penalize the keeper for raising her leg to protect herself when she is on the ground and getting trampled is crazy but that is the call he made on a 1-1 tied game with less than 15 min left.

GGoat
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 27/07/14, 06:11 pm

Here's an idea. Let her become a forward, then she will get all the calls. If it were my DD I would continue using the techniques she has been taught to protect herself, but I would add one and that is the ability to punch the ball clear rather than trying to catch everything. I have seen keepers use the two handed punch effectively not just to clear the ball but to make a strong statement to incoming forwards enter my box at your own risk!

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by GGoat 27/07/14, 06:35 pm

Ya we have been working on that. Her High ball game needs work she says she is afraid if she punches it and misses then they will score and most of the time when she jumps she gets knocked down before she can hit it. Its not about playing forward and getting all the calls. Its about he fact the the forward doesnt have anything to loose when making contact at worst they may get a call which is rare but its a fk like a goal kick so it doesnt matter at best they hurt the keeper and take her out of the game or score or in this case get a Pk in a tied game. This is why they teach keeps to jump with there knee up and raise there legs to when they dive to protect themself, but if the refs are going to take that away also esp when they come out on a 1 v 1 in which they have very little chance to get to the ball then I guess keeper should just stay on their line and hope for the best. It was just so strange to get a call that she raised her leg to high when she was on the ground. I dont think there is een a penalty for that. It wouldnt be a high kick cause she on the ground and didnt get anywhere near her head

GGoat
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Triumph FC 27/07/14, 07:11 pm

It's dangerous play!
Of course the GK should come and get the ball...with her hands and arms. Stop the crap about keeper needs to protect themselves. 90% of forwards don't go in to hurt the keeper but run the risk of hurting themselves just like any tackle between 2 outfield players. You seem to think keepers seem have every right to go feet up, knee up to protect themselves at every play because they keep knocking her down. When 2 players jump in the air for a ball sometimes 1 gets knocked down that doesn't mean it's a foul!
Triumph FC
Triumph FC
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by GGoat 27/07/14, 07:47 pm

Total crap Triumph if what you are saying is true then why do they teach keepers at every level to protect themselves and to raise the knee when they jump or dive. If you dive face first or hands first into a running forwards knee or cleat you are going to get hurt. But a forward running at full speed and their knee goes into into a players face or or chest the forward is going to win. There was one game she played in where a girl cleated her knee on a 1 v1 of course no call. The other girl said she hurt her knee hit it again my dd said and my older daughter told her dont put an ace wrap because she will become a target and that is very true at this level. Esp when contact is made and there is no call or the call goes against the keeper who is in the more vulnerable position. In the past the keeper position was awarded some protection because they are usually in a more vulnerable position Just think back to the last time there was a call against a forward  for kicking, or knocking down or running over a keeper it almost seems like it has reversed and the keeper does not get any calls when taking contact. Im wondering why there is No Protection given anymore and when it changed. that is what my post is asking just giving some examples

GGoat
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Triumph FC 27/07/14, 07:59 pm

Really knee in the face? The ball is on the ground, the technique is to come and get hands in the ball including the forearms. That has nothing to do with raising a knee to protect, themselves that's basic technique. It's hazards of being a keeper. Ankle and ACL injuries part of being a soccer player and yet you seem to think no one is allowed to touch the keeper. Players have every right to challenge for a 50/50 ball! I think they should bring back the rule where you could barge the GK into the back of the net and it was a goal! Might toughen up the wimpy keepers!
Triumph FC
Triumph FC
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by SocDad 27/07/14, 08:03 pm

As having a parent of a Keeper....

And we train her according to the situation:
Jumping...Jump with 1 knee in the air....it serves 2 main purposes:  (a) provides more lift and (b)  it does help provide protection when players are rushing her.
Coming out....Sliding is a very effective tool.  a Sideway Feet first slide...How many keepers go head first...none.  Legs, knees and hands and arms are all supposed to be used as blockages.  I highly doubt any keeper is using thier feet like a "Impalier"  It is near impossible to have your leg at 90 degree angle and strike the opponet in the chest "Brave Heart Style" Smile

The very last thing I tell my DD is when she takes the field is:
"Protect Yourself"

1.  I say "Protect Yourself" because you have to be a little crazy in the head to be a keeper.  So I say this to remind her that she can get hurt.
2.  Goalies are not trained to hurt other players.
3.  By NO accounts do I think any (Child) forwards are out there to intentionally hurt anyone, they are just playing soccer.  Honestly, Triumph is right...the fowards are the ones who will most likely get hurt.  GK'ers practice these types of situations/collisions all the time, but Forwards dont practice "How to run into the Goalie and Survive the collission"  What a Face 
4.  I would rather take my chances with a penalty shot and have a healthy child...than viceaversa. (I know its selfserving....but deep down inside everyone feels this way)

PSS...
2 weeks ago at the so called 'Prequal" tourney....I witnessed a FCD keeper literally take out a foward out, a feet first sideway slide, tripped the foward, and made the forward almost do a flip in the air.  You know, one of those ESPN highlight moments.  The keeper popped right up and was fine, but the foward did get hurt.  Everyone GASP'ed.  The GK'er did not touch the ball at all and she got "RED card"...yep RED Carded.  Everyone was like "OMG...did he really RED card a KEEPER?".
Honestely, I do not think it was intentional at all...but if they were older...I might have believed it would be.
SocDad
SocDad
Annual Supporting Member
Annual Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by txtransplant 27/07/14, 08:04 pm

In most 1v1 situations, all a goalie needs to do is go out far enough to cut the angle. By making the forward take a shot under pressure, at a bad angle, they'll miss. Rarely does a goalie need to go diving headfirst at a players feet.

Watch professional goalies. They often come out, one leg stretched out to the left or the right, arms raised to block a potential chip shot. The goalie focuses on making themselves as big as possible and block the shot instead of trying to gain possession.
txtransplant
txtransplant
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by GGoat 27/07/14, 08:18 pm

Triumph no hope for you.I hope your not a coach or ref. Keepers are taught not to dive in head first into a oncoming forward. I never said that no one is allowed to touch the keeper they are run into hit and kicked all the time. What im saying is when there is a 50/50 ball and the keeper gets there first there is rarely a call when the forward kicks falls over them or knocks them down on a high ball, But what some people are saying is if the keeper doesnt get to the ball first and the forward still runs into or flips over the keeper the ref makes the call and it should be a pk. In the past the keepers were not called for this. Also anywhere else on the field if 2 players ran into each other like they run into keepers there would be a call but now it seems like the keepers are free game and they better just hang on to the ball. Ps when was the last time you saw a "wimpy Keeper flop" but you see those tough forwards do it every game

GGoat
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by GGoat 27/07/14, 08:22 pm

Soc dad when was the last time you saw a red card given or even a call made when the keeper gets run into kicked or knocked down when they get to the ball first it rarely ever happens any more thats what im saying in my post

GGoat
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SocDad 27/07/14, 08:34 pm

GGoat wrote:Soc dad when was the last time you saw a red card given or even a call made when the keeper gets run into kicked or knocked down when they get to the ball first it rarely ever happens any more thats what im saying in my post

NEVER...I haven't seen one yet!
SocDad
SocDad
Annual Supporting Member
Annual Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by SocDad 27/07/14, 08:38 pm

SocDad wrote:
GGoat wrote:Soc dad when was the last time you saw a red card given or even a call made when the keeper gets run into kicked or knocked down when they get to the ball first it rarely ever happens any more thats what im saying in my post

And Speaking of that....a game this morning....LP Owens/FCD White
the LP Keeper came out and got slammed (laid out) by the FCD forward.....play was stopped....ball was given to LP....but no card issued.
SocDad
SocDad
Annual Supporting Member
Annual Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Triumph FC 27/07/14, 08:43 pm

GGoat wrote:Triumph no hope for you.I hope your not a coach or ref. Keepers are taught not to dive in head first into a oncoming forward. I never said that no one is allowed to touch the keeper they are run into hit and kicked all the time. What im saying is when there is a 50/50 ball and the keeper gets there first there is rarely a call when the forward kicks falls over them or knocks them down on a high ball, But what some people are saying is if the keeper doesnt get to the ball first and the forward still runs into or flips over the keeper the ref makes the call and it should be a pk. In the past the keepers were not called for this. Also anywhere else on the field if 2 players ran into each other like they run into keepers there would be a call but now it seems like the keepers are free game and they better just hang on to the ball. Ps when was the last time you saw a "wimpy Keeper flop" but you see those tough forwards do it every game

No one said about diving head first! No one coaches feet first or feet high to protect yourself. Last one said Don't dive in feet first! I guess you need to talk to her coaches to find out what they are teaching her because I can see many more PK's coming, Good job your just a parent hopefully there is some hope for you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcfZA97L8wA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPpwHfV3XjI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhyEoc1Cah4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFF9dwIvHjw
Triumph FC
Triumph FC
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by beastmaster 27/07/14, 08:46 pm

Actually I have seen the forward on my dd's team receive a yellow card for running into a keeper. Her team has also had a couple goals called back because someone had contact with the keeper. I have also watched a keeper use the leg in the air to trip a forward and no call made. Being a keeper is a hazardous job and while yes they need to protect themselves, every other player on the field should also protect themselves.

My dd is a keeper and I expect her to protect herself. She has been playing keeper for about 8 years. I can't help but very much disagree with your argument. She has received the benefit of the doubt from refs and has been warned when her play is borderline, but she has never been called for appropriately protecting herself.

beastmaster
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SocDad 27/07/14, 08:54 pm

beastmaster wrote:

Actually I have seen the forward on my dd's team receive a yellow card for running into a keeper.  Her team has also had a couple goals called back because someone had contact with the keeper. I have also watched a keeper use the leg in the air to trip a forward and no call made.   Being a keeper is a hazardous job and while yes they need to protect themselves, every other player on the field should also protect themselves.  

My dd is a keeper and I expect her to protect herself. She has been playing keeper for about 8 years. I can't help but very much disagree with your argument. She has received the benefit of the doubt from refs and has been warned when her play is borderline, but she has never been called for appropriately protecting herself.

Let me retract 1 word....NEVER....I should have just said:  "...I haven't seen one yet".

beastmaster....just for clarity....who or what part do you disagree with??
SocDad
SocDad
Annual Supporting Member
Annual Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by GGoat 27/07/14, 09:03 pm

beastmaster wrote:

Actually I have seen the forward on my dd's team receive a yellow card for running into a keeper.  Her team has also had a couple goals called back because someone had contact with the keeper. I have also watched a keeper use the leg in the air to trip a forward and no call made.   Being a keeper is a hazardous job and while yes they need to protect themselves, every other player on the field should also protect themselves.  

Well we did this weekend and another keeper was red carded in another post for not getting to the ball first and tripping a player . I have seen calls made if the keeper is standing with the ball in both hands and a player runs into her. One time she had caught the ball and had it wrapped up on the ground and the forward was kicking it a few times and the ref made a call but no card. What im talking about is a 50 50 ball where the keeper gets to the ball first and the forward then runs into the keeper or flips over her or knocks her down there is no call or warning but if the forward get to the ball first and flips over the keeper its a pk or warning or a red card

GGoat
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by GGoat 27/07/14, 09:07 pm

SocDad wrote:
SocDad wrote:

And Speaking of that....a game this morning....LP Owens/FCD White
the LP Keeper came out and got slammed (laid out) by the FCD forward.....play was stopped....ball was given to LP....but no card issued.

Soc dad thats what im talking about it happens all the time When they get up or wake up they get the ball back

GGoat
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by GGoat 27/07/14, 09:13 pm

Triumph this is what you said " the technique is to come and get hands in the ball including the forearms" How else do you come in hands first without face first The way soc dad said it is the way she has been trained to do it "Sliding is a very effective tool. a Sideway Feet first slide...How many keepers go head first...none. Legs, knees and hands and arms are all supposed to be used as blockages. " But thats ok a lot of coaches in rec think just put the biggest slowest player in the goal and tel them to catch it with their hands and forearms also

GGoat
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next