North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

When to switch teams Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

When to switch teams

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

When to switch teams Empty When to switch teams

Post by soccerhuh18 04/04/18, 10:59 am

What are the signs that it's time to switch teams? For a u8/9/10 academy player who's on a mid-level team, reasons to stay, reasons to go?

Our situation-
top 3 player, starter on the team
great kids and parents
coach is kind but firm with the girls and they love the coach
coach seems focused on development over wins BUT
other than one kid, the players never switch positions/learn other positions
when possible, players are brought from another team in the club for games to secure wins
one FAST player (not the one kid mentioned above) is not discouraged from roaming the entire field and doing everyone's job
coach has multiple teams and ours seems to be lowest priority
Practices are often combined with boys which minimizes direct coaching for the girls

a few other little things that are minor, but makes me wonder what's most important at this age and what are signs that it's time to move on. I definitely don't want a grass is greener kind of situation, ending up on a different team when we really had it good here. Thoughts?

soccerhuh18
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

When to switch teams Empty Re: When to switch teams

Post by ProDallas 04/04/18, 11:10 am

I think you're definitely right to evaluate the situation and weigh options. I'm curious to learn the perspectives of some of the more veteran parents on here, too.

Concerning your situation, I would be most concerned about A) kids never switching positions, especially at such a young age and B) bringing in kids from other teams whenever possible. I can understand bringing in others to help once in a while, but this sounds like too much to me. Those kids are taking playing time away from the regular team members. I believe game experience is critical to overall player development and those guests are getting the benefit of more game experience at the expense of the team members (not to mention at the expense of the parents who are paying for that coach/team).
ProDallas
ProDallas
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelinaGoalee 04/04/18, 11:33 am

soccerhuh18 wrote:What are the signs that it's time to switch teams?  For a u8/9/10 academy player who's on a mid-level team, reasons to stay, reasons to go?

Our situation-
great kids and parents
when possible, players are brought from another team in the club for games to secure wins
one FAST player (not the one kid mentioned above) is not discouraged from roaming the entire field and doing everyone's job
Practices are often combined with boys which minimizes direct coaching for the girls

a few other little things that are minor, but makes me wonder what's most important at this age and what are signs that it's time to move on.  I definitely don't want a grass is greener kind of situation, ending up on a different team when we really had it good here.  Thoughts?

That seems like a bit of a contradiction??
I would be very mindful of that bringing kids in to secure the win thing...

but honestly, if YOUR kid is a top 3 player, and a starter....then she is a CORE player on the team and you shouldnt leave unless her playing time is being affected by guest players.

At the same time...do your research and find out if there is a more ideal situation out there before you jump ship. If your daughter is getting better....just chill and have her make friends with other girls at other places through camps and training and possible guest playing opportunities. makes the transition easier if needed.

AngelinaGoalee
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty 04/04/18, 01:12 pm

soccerhuh18 wrote:What are the signs that it's time to switch teams?  For a u8/9/10 academy player who's on a mid-level team, reasons to stay, reasons to go?

Our situation-
great kids and parents

a few other little things that are minor, but makes me wonder what's most important at this age and what are signs that it's time to move on.  I definitely don't want a grass is greener kind of situation, ending up on a different team when we really had it good here.  Thoughts?

Usually fairly easy to tell.

You have to keep what is in your DD's best interest (at this age, her individual development & fun) in mind, and the coach usually keeps what is best for the TEAM (Wins, building stronger, deeper roster=current & future Cash Flow) in mind.

As long at the two align then no reason to change, if they start to diverge, then probably better to start looking at other options.

Lefty
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Bodhisattva 04/04/18, 01:31 pm

Our situation-
great kids and parents

Look at the FBR rankings and switch to whatever team is #1.

TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerhuh18 04/04/18, 01:40 pm

All of this makes complete sense, but if she decides to commit to soccer in a couple of years, will she be hindered by things like not knowing how to play any position but the one she currently plays? We are leaning toward staying because she loves her team, but I can't help but have a little FOMO as her parent.

soccerhuh18
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty 04/04/18, 01:50 pm

soccerhuh18 wrote:All of this makes complete sense, but if she decides to commit to soccer in a couple of years, will she be hindered by things like not knowing how to play any position but the one she currently plays?  We are leaning toward staying because she loves her team, but I can't help but have a little FOMO as her parent.

Partially depends on what position she is locked into playing now, but most coaches work all the girls on the fundamentals that apply to all positions at the younger ages.

Lefty
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest101 04/04/18, 01:54 pm

Did your dd show interest in looking for another team?  Has she voiced her concern over playing time?  Losing?  Lack of winning trophies?  Frustration with team/teammates?  

If she hasn't brought any of that up then wtf are you doing?  Leave the kid alone she's probably happy healthy and fine where she is at.  Trust me you will know when it is the right time, she will tell you.  The only exception to that is if she is perfectly happy but you can see that she is not growing and developing at the same pace as other players.  At that time you might need to step in.

Guest101
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerhuh18 04/04/18, 01:58 pm

I hadn't considered this! I think that team practices an hour and a half from our house and she'd probably be a bench warmer, but whatever it takes, right? Wink
Bodhisattva wrote:

Our situation-
great kids and parents

Look at the FBR rankings and switch to whatever team is #1.

soccerhuh18
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerhuh18 04/04/18, 02:04 pm

Guest101 wrote:Did your dd show interest in looking for another team?  Has she voiced her concern over playing time?  Losing?  Lack of winning trophies?  Frustration with team/teammates?  

If she hasn't brought any of that up then wtf are you doing?  Leave the kid alone she's probably happy healthy and fine where she is at.  Trust me you will know when it is the right time, she will tell you.  The only exception to that is if she is perfectly happy but you can see that she is not growing and developing at the same pace as other players.  At that time you might need to step in.

No, you are completely right. She's happy. I just worry. Like I said, it's the FOMO in me and I need to just let her have fun.

soccerhuh18
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Foxysoccermom 04/04/18, 02:25 pm

Have you looked into jdl or DA2? That's where she needs to be if she wants to play past 13. You can never switch to early or too often.
Foxysoccermom
Foxysoccermom
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Medicine Man 04/04/18, 02:32 pm

Zizou can recommend his best coach.

Watch "GOOD MORNING VIETNAM!!!" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/AwSra5p8MDw

Watch "Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Relax (Laser Version)" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/rCp2h5jslKY
Medicine Man
Medicine Man
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by ProDallas 04/04/18, 02:38 pm

It seems another variable would have to do with timing in regard to classic league qualifying and getting locked into a team contract for the U11 year.
ProDallas
ProDallas
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccertard 04/04/18, 03:58 pm

Threaten the coach one night after practice. Just rough him/her up a little bit. Remind them that development starts with quality throw ins.

What's most important at this age is identifying the Italian on the team, and feed that ball to them.
soccertard
soccertard
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by quizzically miffed 04/04/18, 04:20 pm

No coach is perfect and, compared to many, it sounds like you have a decent situation. What stood out to me is that players only play one position; the coach works on development over winning “BUT”; one player is allowed to roam all over the field; and that your daughter is happy. The last point is the most important, but she could also be happy on a team that more fully develops her skills. Since you are in a good situation, there is no rush to move. Watch the teams that she plays against, paying attention to the coach, parents and how the girls play and interact. If the team appears to check off some of your current concerns, reach out to the coach and ask about coming out for practice.
quizzically miffed
quizzically miffed
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty 04/04/18, 05:03 pm

soccerhuh18 wrote:All of this makes complete sense, but if she decides to commit to soccer in a couple of years, will she be hindered by things like not knowing how to play any position but the one she currently plays?  We are leaning toward staying because she loves her team, but I can't help but have a little FOMO as her parent.

Let me take a wild guess.

One of top 3 players on the team, but locked into playing in the back because other 'top' players can't or won't play defense?

Could probably do better than most of the forwards and mids, but never gets the chance because the coach needs her on defense?

Lefty
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest101 04/04/18, 05:24 pm

Lefty wrote:

One of top 3 players on the team, but locked into playing in the back because other 'top' players can't or won't play defense?  

Could probably do better than most of the forwards and mids, but never gets the chance because the coach needs her on defense?

A bit harsh?  That is a very likely scenario, and one that I have seen work out in the past.  Defender makes the transition to another team and becomes a starter at mid or forward (ECNL level).  If the dd has expressed interest in playing another position it could be time to talk with coach.  Most coaches will begin letting your dd play up if they think they will lose her completely by not giving her an opportunity.  From what I am hearing this coach will CPP in a defender anyway so there is no harm in having a conversation.

Guest101
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty 04/04/18, 05:31 pm

Guest101 wrote:
Lefty wrote:

A bit harsh?  That is a very likely scenario, and one that I have seen work out in the past.  Defender makes the transition to another team and becomes a starter at mid or forward (ECNL level).  If the dd has expressed interest in playing another position it could be time to talk with coach.  Most coaches will begin letting your dd play up if they think they will lose her completely by not giving her an opportunity.  From what I am hearing this coach will CPP in a defender anyway so there is no harm in having a conversation.

Sometimes the truth can be harsh.

You bring up a key point on if the DD wants to play a different position, or is it the parent who would like to see her with the ball more and scoring goals?  A lot depends on the players personality.

We had one in the exact scenario and when another, better, team approached her about playing in the midfield for them, her response was 'I like center back as the outcome of the game depends on how I play.  If I make a mistake we probably won't win.'

Lefty
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerhuh18 04/04/18, 05:55 pm

Lefty wrote:
Guest101 wrote:
Lefty wrote:

Sometimes the truth can be harsh.

You bring up a key point on if the DD wants to play a different position, or is it the parent who would like to see her with the ball more and scoring goals?  A lot depends on the players personality.

We had one in the exact scenario and when another, better, team approached her about playing in the midfield for them, her response was 'I like center back as the outcome of the game depends on how I play.  If I make a mistake we probably won't win.'
Partially true, but not exactly. At the risk of her coach reading this and feeling like it sounds a little familiar, I’ll explain. She does play in the back, but this is not about my ego. I don’t want her to play up so she can score goals, I want her to play up so she can learn how to do it. On the rare occasion that she runs up and has the opportunity to score, she panics because she never practices up there. It’s almost an aversion to offense because it’s out of her comfort zone. Looking at big picture, isn’t better for her to be comfortable anywhere on the field? Even, very rarely, when she is moved up during practice, she naturally falls back to defense. She doesn’t ask to play forward because she doesn’t like doing things she’s not good at.

soccerhuh18
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SelectSoccerGirl 04/04/18, 09:47 pm

My DD is older now, but for the first 5 years of her soccer career she only played one position. Her coach never moved her. She became really good at that one position and it felt natural to her, but when my DD switched to a different team it was a problem. Her new coach moved everyone all around the field. When my DD had to play positions she never had played, she struggled and she was then competing for playing time with girls who had played all over the field for years. No bueno! Have you asked the coach if she can start splitting time at other positions?

SelectSoccerGirl
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by socceroos 05/04/18, 07:15 am

From previous experience with my DD and the process we went through because we switch her every 2 years since U7 for various reasons but I believe you have to find a team and coach in the early years that will develop her technical abilities then as she gets older those skills can be applied at any position a coach puts her. I think moving her to a different team all depend on what you feel is best for your DD but you have to evaluate her abilities because she probably is still a developing player. If you feel that she can learn more and be more challenged at a higher level than go try out at different teams. If she is U11 or under she probably just wants to have fun playing with her friends and teammates as she probably has no idea what she wants. When you get to u12 and up then you probably want to find a coach that can communicate and motivate his players along with good training. Hope this helps

socceroos
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerhuh18 05/04/18, 08:32 am

SelectSoccerGirl wrote:My DD is older now, but for the first 5 years of her soccer career she only played one position. Her coach never moved her. She became really good at that one position and it felt natural to her, but when my DD switched to a different team it was a problem. Her new coach moved everyone all around the field. When my DD had to play positions she never had played, she struggled and she was then competing for playing time with girls who had played all over the field for years. No bueno! Have you asked the coach if she can start splitting time at other positions?

I haven't asked because I trust him as the expert, but I might talk to her and see if she wants to advocate for herself. She is not worried at all about the future, except for the fact that she wants to play select so she can "go to fun places like Colorado and Disney."

soccerhuh18
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by dvdfdx1 05/04/18, 09:25 am

If it makes you feel better soccerhuh18, I think most of us parents who have daughters that play in the back wonder if they should be learning more positions, and trying new things.  Its normal as a parent.

If your daughter is happy playing that position, and you see development.  Then stay with it knowing that is an extremely important position.  Otherwise, there are a ton of other clubs in the NTX area to check out in May/June.  

Some kids are more benefited at certain field positions.  So if your trying something different just know she might not be as gifted at that field position.  Which could have her working harder.  Not necessarily a bad thing.  You just have to be careful you don't ruin the game for her.  Or cause her to burn out.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you do.

dvdfdx1
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by melashbrew 05/04/18, 10:19 am

We were in a similar situation with our last team...stuck in 1 position. After expressing our concerns with our coach, it became clear that our daughter would only be able to play in 1 position on that team. After a lot of discussion, we decided her overall development was more important and we moved teams. (Our daughter was involved in the decision making process.) We loved our previous team and all of the players and families, but ultimately we decided her development would continue to be stifled if we stayed. On our new team, our daughter gets lots of opportunity in different positions. It has become clear to me that different coaches see different things in players. Finding the right match is key.

melashbrew
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by ProDallas 06/04/18, 09:15 am

For the select team veterans, how has player movement typically unfolded leading up to the classic league U11 qualifying tournament? Was there more movement last year because birth year transition? Or, is a lot of shuffling typical as players target the right fit on top-30 teams with coaches they are comfortable signing a contract with?
ProDallas
ProDallas
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum