North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Attention '04 Parents! Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Attention '04 Parents!

Go down

Attention '04 Parents! Empty Attention '04 Parents!

Post by u8wnt 15/03/11, 09:41 am

Hi, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Pia Sundhage and I am the coach for the US Womens National Team. Recently, I enjoyed a trip to the great state of Texas to do some recruiting at the Pot 'o Gold Tournament. Before I begin, I must say that the US Soccer office phones have been ringing off the hook from parents in Dallas telling us how great their daughters are. Well, I must say I need to take the time to help you parents understand the reality of U8 soccer.

I would like to let you know what we look for in players when considering them for our pool. There are three things that we look for in making a complete player. These are vision, speed and patience. Vision because players must be able to see the game and by that I mean understand what they need to do next. Vision is not only passing, but also seeing when to beat a defender one on one, slowing the game down or speeding the game up. Speed because at the level I am sure ALL your girls will be playing at one day soon the game gets fast. They must have speed, not only in their feet, but in their vision. Patience because the game does not always unfold the way a player envisions it. They must learn patience by seeing what isn't there as much as what is there.

I must admit, none of your girls are as great as you have been telling us they are. In fact, it was pretty easy to tell that in this particular tournament that SIZE was the biggest factor. Oh, and a novel idea by me, the genius coach, is that SIZE will be probably the biggest advantage for the next 5-6 years. Don't get me wrong, there will be exceptions, but without a doubt this is a huge factor in U8 soccer. It was pretty obvious to me that the biggest teams won most of the games. Is that a coincidence? I would doubt it at this age level.

Oh my goodness, looks who is here. Hey Anson, how are you? Do you want to chime in on the Pot 'o Gold Tournament?

Thanks Pia. Hey guys, Anson Dorrace here. Like Pia, I too made a special recruiting trip to Dallas to see what all the hub bub is about. I must say that there are some really good players here. Not quite as good as what their parents have been telling me in emails and letters, but some real potential without a doubt.

If you don't mind, I would like to add my views from this past weekend.

Wait a second Anson? What qualifications do you have? You have never played this game at a high level. It is obvious that these parents don't care what you say, if you can't juggle a ball 10,000 times. You were just a walk on a weak team in the 1970's, you don't have a clue what soccer is about.

Well Pia, I think I will let my 20 National Championships speak for themselves. But fine, since I don't have the playing experience and they won't respect my views of the tournament, I will just leave these parents with some recommendations.

Please start at number 1 and continue down the list. If you want to play at UNC you must complete this list.

1. Go to Toys R Us and immediately buy your daughter a make up kit, a pony and a puzzle.
2. Don't talk to them about soccer for 1 week.
3. Tell them how much you Love them, no matter how bad they play
4. Get your team together with the team you just played and all of you go out for pizza together
5. SHUT THE F UP!!!!!!!

It is blatantly obvious that 99.9% of you on this board don't have a clue about the game of soccer, development, or coaching for that matter. Quit yelling at your kid, quit telling us how great they are, quit pushing them every single minute they are awake, quit making enemies of people that you will have to share a sideline with in the next 5 years, quit assuming you know what is best for someone else's kid and most of all quit being a bunch of overzealous, overinvolved, know it all parents.

Whether you know it or not, you will ruin your daughter and her love for this great sport if you don't stop. Your daughter is 7, let her act and live like a 7 year old.

See you at the next recruiting event. Maybe I'll come to the next Primetime tournament.

Pia, it was great to see you. Will you be there next week in So Cal for the U5 tournament?

u8wnt
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Attention '04 Parents! Empty Re: Attention '04 Parents!

Post by Guest 15/03/11, 09:48 am

"It is blatantly obvious that 99.9% of you on this board don't have a clue about the game of soccer, development, or coaching for that matter. Quit yelling at your kid, quit telling us how great they are, quit pushing them every single minute they are awake, quit making enemies of people that you will have to share a sideline with in the next 5 years, quit assuming you know what is best for someone else's kid and most of all quit being a bunch of overzealous, overinvolved, know it all parents."

You might as well be talking to the wall. All of these parents think they know the game. And they all think they know what is best for their daughters. Pele could tell them otherwise, but they would all still know better.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15/03/11, 09:50 am

POW!

Attention '04 Parents! 2Q==

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelby427 15/03/11, 10:07 am

I bet more than half of these kids will burn out by U14.

The #1 piece of advice I can give to let your kids last long in this great game is to NOT CRITIQUE your child's performance after the game. In fact, other than "good job" do not talk about the game at all. If there is something you want to "coach on" wait a few days.

This will take the pressure off and allow your kids to enjoy playing, which is the #1 way they will improve at this age because if they enjoy playing, they will want to practice or "play" on their own.

Shelby427
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15/03/11, 10:13 am

Are you saying Pow? What are you saying? Why do you keep doing that?

This is sold out everywhere, so I believe all the 04 parents are probably experts.....

Attention '04 Parents! 0764552295

Last edited by Blank77 on 15/03/11, 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 15/03/11, 10:16 am

okay let me see if I have this straight.
1. I need to be a sexist pig to my daughter and force her to play with dolls and makeup
2. I need to keep her from playing soccer all week no matter how badly she wants too.
3. Pizza is the key.
4. Shut up and pay your coach because they know EVERYTHING

The time of the uneducated parent is passing. Many parents have played as much or more soccer as many of the coaches. I will take your 99% and see you 90% for the coaches. Parents are overzealous, but so are many of the coaches. It is a detrimental enviornment that we have all participated in creating. And like you said "let my 20 national champ talk for themselves". I suspect that DM could make similar claims in youth soccer.

Here is an idea. If you don't understand what a coach is doing then ask. The coach should be able to explain everything that is being done and why (I said unerstand not agree). It should be done in the best interest of your DD. Don't push your DD or allow a coach to do so. Do ask that she always try hard and do the best theat "she" can. At this age she has to learn not only skill but most important of all, a love for the game. Let her play as much as "she" chooses. Don't focus on the score but on the joy and little accomplishments. I saw a beardsley girl run up to her coach for a high five and a hug. Then proudly pronounce "I scored a goal! In a game" There was big smiles ear to ear and plenty of praise. She didn't care that the tied and he didn't either. My DD started early playing up and had never met a ball she wasn't going to dribble to the end and shoot. She did a step over in the box and the thought about it. Passed accross to and open teammate who scored. You would have thought they won the world cup for the praise that the coach and I heaped on her. From that point on she passed the ball. If all you praise is the wins and score it is all your dd will try to achieve. Praise the play, the effort, the ideas and imagination.
So attn 04 parents! Forget about the score, the scholorships, trophies, teams. Remember your DD. If she has "it" she will get there as long you don't let you and the coaches get in the way.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperSoccer 15/03/11, 10:18 am

A large part of the problem is because of a couple of the Liverpool 04 parents. Not all them, just a couple of them. After every tournament they feel the need to come on here and claim that they dominated all of their opponents and make negative statements about their opponents. In reality, their coach is focused on development. Even within the Liverpool family, many of the parents are embarrassed by the behavior of these select few.

SuperSoccer
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawnboy 15/03/11, 10:22 am

Great. Just what we need... another self-appointed expert.

Rolling Eyes

Lawnboy
Lawnboy
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawnboy 15/03/11, 10:24 am

Blank77 wrote:Are you saying Pow? What are you saying? Why do you keep doing that?

This is sold out everywhere, so I believe all the 04 parents are probably experts.....

Michael Lewis? Cool - I loved Liar's Poker.

Lawnboy
Lawnboy
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 15/03/11, 10:26 am

I wouldn't lay the blame soley at the doorstep of the LP parents but it is a recognized point. But also shared by those who want to see a group of 7yr old girls fall. There were certianly plenty lined up with joy for the Rowdies season and 3v3 losses. Those LP parents will be on board or eventually they will leave to some other team that wins. You are correct the coaches focus of the coach is not there and at some point it bothers those who are looking for the wins and 7yr old glory.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15/03/11, 10:52 am

I like the general message by the original poster but not sure using anson helps the story. I've been reading some of his work lately, and the DM approach is far more aligned with anson's philosophy than the 5 bullet points about let your kid be a kid.

Of course anson doesn't coach 7 to 10-year-olds, but if he did he'd probably get the biggest, fastest, most athletic kids together and run intense, highly focused practices and teach them to be highly competitive beasts.

Good topic though. I like shelby's advice and have been trying to follow it for at least a year. Still only 50% success rate. It's hard out here for us over the toppers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15/03/11, 11:16 am

u8wnt wrote:Hi, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Pia Sundhage and I am the coach for the US Womens National Team. Recently, I enjoyed a trip to the great state of Texas to do some recruiting at the Pot 'o Gold Tournament. Before I begin, I must say that the US Soccer office phones have been ringing off the hook from parents in Dallas telling us how great their daughters are. Well, I must say I need to take the time to help you parents understand the reality of U8 soccer.

I would like to let you know what we look for in players when considering them for our pool. There are three things that we look for in making a complete player. These are vision, speed and patience. Vision because players must be able to see the game and by that I mean understand what they need to do next. Vision is not only passing, but also seeing when to beat a defender one on one, slowing the game down or speeding the game up. Speed because at the level I am sure ALL your girls will be playing at one day soon the game gets fast. They must have speed, not only in their feet, but in their vision. Patience because the game does not always unfold the way a player envisions it. They must learn patience by seeing what isn't there as much as what is there.

I must admit, none of your girls are as great as you have been telling us they are. In fact, it was pretty easy to tell that in this particular tournament that SIZE was the biggest factor. Oh, and a novel idea by me, the genius coach, is that SIZE will be probably the biggest advantage for the next 5-6 years. Don't get me wrong, there will be exceptions, but without a doubt this is a huge factor in U8 soccer. It was pretty obvious to me that the biggest teams won most of the games. Is that a coincidence? I would doubt it at this age level.

Oh my goodness, looks who is here. Hey Anson, how are you? Do you want to chime in on the Pot 'o Gold Tournament?

Thanks Pia. Hey guys, Anson Dorrace here. Like Pia, I too made a special recruiting trip to Dallas to see what all the hub bub is about. I must say that there are some really good players here. Not quite as good as what their parents have been telling me in emails and letters, but some real potential without a doubt.

If you don't mind, I would like to add my views from this past weekend.

Wait a second Anson? What qualifications do you have? You have never played this game at a high level. It is obvious that these parents don't care what you say, if you can't juggle a ball 10,000 times. You were just a walk on a weak team in the 1970's, you don't have a clue what soccer is about.

Well Pia, I think I will let my 20 National Championships speak for themselves. But fine, since I don't have the playing experience and they won't respect my views of the tournament, I will just leave these parents with some recommendations.

Please start at number 1 and continue down the list. If you want to play at UNC you must complete this list.

1. Go to Toys R Us and immediately buy your daughter a make up kit, a pony and a puzzle.
2. Don't talk to them about soccer for 1 week.
3. Tell them how much you Love them, no matter how bad they play
4. Get your team together with the team you just played and all of you go out for pizza together
5. SHUT THE F UP!!!!!!!

It is blatantly obvious that 99.9% of you on this board don't have a clue about the game of soccer, development, or coaching for that matter. Quit yelling at your kid, quit telling us how great they are, quit pushing them every single minute they are awake, quit making enemies of people that you will have to share a sideline with in the next 5 years, quit assuming you know what is best for someone else's kid and most of all quit being a bunch of overzealous, overinvolved, know it all parents.

Whether you know it or not, you will ruin your daughter and her love for this great sport if you don't stop. Your daughter is 7, let her act and live like a 7 year old.

See you at the next recruiting event. Maybe I'll come to the next Primetime tournament.

Pia, it was great to see you. Will you be there next week in So Cal for the U5 tournament?

Whew. At least I'm in the .01%.

Back to top Go down

Post by wxyz 15/03/11, 12:21 pm

I am not sure if the original posters are who she/he claim to be and if their statements are true but if true, you gotta love NTX soccer parents... Calling, emailing, and writing letters to the US Womens National Team coach to talk about their 7 or 8 year olds... I hope that is not true... Anyway, I agree with most of their suggestions (but not the one about going to Toys R Us). Most of us (parents and coaches) take this WAY TOO SERIOUSLY. Let them play and learn to love the game!

Assuming that you are not one of those parents, you need to find a right coach/team. Read the "Has DM lost the plot?" thread to see if DM's approach works for you and your DD. There are coaches who try to "keep up with DM" and there are coaches who simply ignore the "win now at all cost" mindset and focus on developing his/her players. Be wary of a coach who "cuts" girls during Academy years... Be wary of a coach who tries to micro manage during games... Be wary of a coach who asks defenders to simply kick the ball out or boot it to the big/fast forward... Be wary of a coach who cares more about winning than playing good soccer...

wxyz
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Itsme 15/03/11, 12:27 pm

wxyz wrote:I am not sure if the original posters are who she/he claim to be and if their statements are true but if true, you gotta love NTX soccer parents... Calling, emailing, and writing letters to the US Womens National Team coach to talk about their 7 or 8 year olds... I hope that is not true... Anyway, I agree with most of their suggestions (but not the one about going to Toys R Us). Most of us (parents and coaches) take this WAY TOO SERIOUSLY. Let them play and learn to love the game!

Assuming that you are not one of those parents, you need to find a right coach/team. Read the "Has DM lost the plot?" thread to see if DM's approach works for you and your DD. There are coaches who try to "keep up with DM" and there are coaches who simply ignore the "win now at all cost" mindset and focus on developing his/her players. Be wary of a coach who "cuts" girls during Academy years... Be wary of a coach who tries to micro manage during games... Be wary of a coach who asks defenders to simply kick the ball out or boot it to the big/fast forward... Be wary of a coach who cares more about winning than playing good soccer...

I'm almost certain the original post in this thread is bogus. Hard for me to believe Anson would misspell his last name.

Itsme
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by soccer5555 15/03/11, 12:29 pm

wxyz wrote:I am not sure if the original posters are who she/he claim to be
Please don't tell me you received an email from a Nigerian prince today too.

soccer5555
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by freefl2 15/03/11, 12:37 pm

soccer5555 wrote:
No but I think one of his relatives offered to help me with $17,300,00 bank transaction and all I had to do was give them my bank account and routing number along with my SSAN and DOB. You don't think it was one of those scammers of phisher do you? Rolling Eyes

freefl2
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by wxyz 15/03/11, 12:37 pm

soccer5555 wrote:
Did u receive one too?

wxyz
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by wxyz 15/03/11, 12:39 pm

freefl2 wrote:
soccer5555 wrote:
No but I think one of his relatives offered to help me with $17,300,00 bank transaction and all I had to do was give them my bank account and routing number along with my SSAN and DOB. You don't think it was one of those scammers of phisher do you? Rolling Eyes

What? I was only offered $16,200,000! I guess there must have been some market movement in the underlying assets...

wxyz
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelby427 15/03/11, 12:44 pm

wxyz wrote:
freefl2 wrote:
soccer5555 wrote:

What? I was only offered $16,200,000! I guess there must have been some market movement in the underlying assets...

That's nothing... I just won $500,000,000 in an international lottery. I am going to forward by bank account information and then I will OWN this forum you HEAR ME?!?!?!?

Funny thing is I never purchased a ticket for this lottery, but... who CARES about DETAILS... I am going to be FILTHY STINKING RICH!!!

Shelby427
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15/03/11, 01:04 pm

Shelby427 wrote:
wxyz wrote:
freefl2 wrote:
soccer5555 wrote:

That's nothing... I just won $500,000,000 in an international lottery. I am going to forward by bank account information and then I will OWN this forum you HEAR ME?!?!?!?

Funny thing is I never purchased a ticket for this lottery, but... who CARES about DETAILS... I am going to be FILTHY STINKING RICH!!!

Toby: Didn't you lose a lot of money on that other investment? The email?
Michael Scott: You know what Toby, when the son of the deposed king of Nigeria emails you directly, asking for help, you help! His father ran the freaking country! Ok?

Back to top Go down

Post by TorquauyU 15/03/11, 04:37 pm

Blank77 wrote:Are you saying Pow? What are you saying? Why do you keep doing that?

It's the  Catalina wine mixer!
TorquauyU
TorquauyU
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Attention '04 Parents! Empty The good coach - epilogue

Post by Guest 15/03/11, 05:55 pm

I picked this up from a coaches forum and thought it seemed relevant here. This was compiled with input from multiple coaches of various levels (club, high school, college, pro,international, etc.)

Finding The Best Soccer Situation For Your Child

There’s one question we get over and over again, usually posed something like this: “How do I find the best team for my child?”

Our answer is invariably the same, and it’s pretty simple: “Find the best coaching available.”

Then comes that pesky follow up: “How do I do that?”

The answer to that one is nowhere near so simple.

First let’s define what we consider to be the best coaching. To do that we’ll “start with the end in mind”, what we would like to see in an athlete in the long term.

Often overlooked is that the primary purpose of youth sports is what former NBA player Bob Bigelow says is “to develop better people.” Jim Thompson, founder of the Positive Coaching Alliance says that the most important outcome from youth sports is developing “stronger, more responsible and confident individuals who will be successful in life.”

Think about it. The life lessons, for good or ill, learned through sports will be more enduring, and are therefore more important, than anything these athletes will learn about a particular sport.

Children learn what they live. If a coach or club demonstrates fairness, honesty, loyalty, fair play, a sense of adventure and willingness to be “spontaneous and daring”, that’s most likely what athletes learn there. On the other hand, if what’s demonstrated is questionable ethics, a lack of loyalty, a willingness to tolerate play at the gray edges of fair play and sportsmanship, that’s most likely what athletes will learn there.

Now let’s consider the soccer side of things, again from a longer term perspective. “Developing Great Skills provides keys to an athlete’s success at higher levels of soccer and to that player’s lifelong enjoyment of The Game.”

There we have two longer term goals. To achieve them most effectively developing the individual player must come first. Recently, April Heinrichs, former captain and then coach of World Champion Women’s National Teams, pointed out what’s most needed in the development of American players: “Technique, technique, technique.” Another coach puts it another way: “Players who do not get a thorough grounding in The Game’s essential skills at the younger ages are being cheated out of their futures in the game.”

There are two barriers to this sort of training. For openers, many coaches – including those who may have strong skills – have not learned to teach them effectively. U.S. Soccer has recently revised the state level programs for licensing coaches (the “F”, “E” and “D” courses) after discovering that candidates for the National Coaching License couldn’t teach skills.

But another barrier, and maybe the more significant one, is related to increasing pressures to win more and more at earlier and earlier ages. This easily leads to the trap of “winning today (at the sacrifice of tomorrow.)” Here you see training that prioritizes team organization over player development and team environments where the fear of mistakes – because a coach believes that mistakes can make you lose - stifles boldness and creativity.

In other words, the failure to teach skills comes from those who can’t or won’t teach them. It’s often a mix of both.

Experience counts: True proficiency in all things requires thousands of hours of intense preparation and practice. That includes coaching. A great player will rarely be a great coach as a novice. It’s one thing to be able to do it, something quite different to teach it. Yale once had a swim coach who produced national championships but who was a danger to himself and others if he was in the water. And some coaches with 20 years of experience are mostly repeating the first year for the 21st time. But most coaches have a Teachable Spirit and want to continually learn and improve. Experience is a great teacher.

So now we have the parameters: experienced coaching that will provide positive character development and a solid technical foundation for playing the game at higher and higher levels for a long as the player wants to do so and is willing to make the effort to improve. At its very best, coaching will inspire developing a player’s willingness to work hard to eliminate weaknesses. But it will also involve developing strengths, soccer strengths and strengths of character, the things that make some players special, which set them apart, which define what coaches call the “personality player”.

We’d love to tell you that you have lots of those kinds of choices. You don’t. Just on the soccer side, we don’t see any club that is fully committed to a model where the first priority is the development of skillful and creative players.

There are coaches, however, who have that priority. Interestingly, you might find them with a club’s “B” and “C” teams. (We’ve even heard of a U11 “A” team coach who’s frank about it – “I don’t develop players: that’s what the “B” team is for.”) Without the pressures to win, coaches of “B” and “C” teams can feel more freedom to put a greater emphasis on individual development.

But we don’t know all of the coaches either. So let’s look at what you can do to find that kind of coaching. Here’s where it gets hard.

First, do the homework. Before anything else, be clear about your own family’s expectations. Each season parents should consider the following questions: Why do I want my child playing? What will be a successful season for me as a parent? What are my goals for him or her? What do I hope she gains from the experience? What do I think his role will be on the team?

Once you have done that, find a quiet time to ask the athlete the same questions. Ideally, the answers will be in sync with yours. If they are not, you’ll have to decide whose expectations the athlete will be asked to pursue.

Now let’s go outside the home.

Next, ask questions. Last year, we produced a list of 12 Questions (forum folks can do a search) that you can use to explore the Player Development philosophy of a coach or club. We understand that those questions are being asked at the meetings where the next year’s programs are being presented. The answers aren’t always what we might prefer, but the message is getting out there that more and more a parent is becoming, as the commercial says, “an educated consumer” and might have expectations that are not solely focused – or even much focused - on what the scoreboard shows on any given Saturday.

Those questions are making a dent.

But that’s not enough. To really be an informed consumer takes legwork, and not a little of it. You need to watch several practices and games of a prospective coach to get a sense of the style and substance of the coaching and the environment in which that happens.

At this point, many parents will say, “How can I do that? I played Football (or Field Hockey, or no sports at all). I don’t have a clue about soccer.” So, with the help of dozens of contributors to a website for coaches we’ve put together a list of things to look for – and recognize - even if you feel hopelessly clueless about soccer. You will have a clue about these things.

Watch a coach’s practices (you may need to see 3-4 to get a true picture of the training environment.)

1. How are players greeted? Is it warm, positive, confident?

2. How engaged is the coach throughout the session?

3. How much time are players doing, rather than stopped and listening?

4. Is everyone on the team being coached? Is there coaching that appears directed to increasing individual player strengths as well as eliminating weaknesses? Does the coaching seem to inspire players?

5. “Correction is a compliment.” Is correction given in a positive manner that conveys the message both that I want you to get better and believe you can?

6. “What gets rewarded gets repeated.” How much recognition, using players’ names, is given to positive moments?

7. Is effort and boldness getting positive recognition (and encouragement), or just the outcomes that succeed?

8. “Doers make mistakes”. Mistakes can make you better. Are those kinds of mistakes praised or criticized?

9. Do sessions seem well prepared? Are activities set up before the session starts? Are players moving with a ball at the designated starting time? Is there good flow from one activity to the next? Does the session end on time?

10. Watch how many soccer balls are in play. At younger ages, a fair amount of time should be spent “everyone with a ball” or “a ball for two”.

11. What % of sessions includes some form of 1v1 play? (All should.)

12. If working on shooting, does it include working on technique or just shooting games?

13. Overall, does the session seem to be focused more on developing better players or organizing the team for the next game?

14. “Juggling makes every other touch better.” Does it appear that learning to juggle is encouraged?

15. Is there any emphasis on exterminating “Useless Weak Foot Syndrome?”

16. A clue to player engagement: is the practice noisy, or is the only voice that of the coach? Do the players appear to be enjoying their time together?

17. Watch players’ faces. Do they seem to be enjoying it? Better, do they have that scrunched-up-face look that comes with total focus and involvement?

18. What’s the tone of the end-of-the-session summary? Does it efficiently sum up what was done and why?

19. When it’s all done, do the players look satisfied with what they’ve experienced? Do they leave with smiles and happy chatter?

20. Does the coach leave the same way?

And now, attend a couple of games.

1. Whose game is it? Games should largely belong to the players. Does the coach largely “Train and trust” the players or is there a constant stream of instructions that micromanages play on the field.

2. Is the positive/negative environment of the team the same as at practice, regardless of the score?

3. Even if you can’t hear what the coach is saying pre-game, half-time and at the end, how would you describe the tone?

4. What are parents saying/doing on the sideline? It’s amazing how much parental sidelines reflect the influence of and respect for the coach.

5. Is the post game summary “quick and done”? It takes everyone, including players, time to process a game, so the in-depth stuff should wait until the next practice. (A timely reminder here that one of the things players most dread is the PGA - Post Game Analysis - which happens most frequently on the CRH - C _ _ R _ _ _ H _ _ _.) Does the coach’s summary end on a positive?

Finally, let’s consider one other item.

Youth soccer commitments are year-to-year. There’s often a large turnover on rosters between selection for U11 teams and the first game at U12. (A question about those numbers will be added to the Twelve Questions list.) This reflects the flaws in tryout processes. But it can also reflect an inability to develop the players selected. Too often, the grass is greener elsewhere and teams will look there for a replacement rather demonstrating commitment to those they’ve chosen. If that happens where you are, just keep in mind that nobody ever owes more loyalty to a club or team than that club or team exhibits to its athletes.

But it’s also important to reexamine your child’s situation each year to assess whether his or her development is satisfactory. It can be hard to switch teams, but as we tell the players getting a poorly sent pass, “You don’t want to turn one bad ball into two.” Remember that the answer to the original question is, “Find the best coaching available.” That quest, however, will be worth the effort.[/size]

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down