North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Powerade Fab 50 Rankings - Page 3 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Powerade Fab 50 Rankings

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Powerade Fab 50 Rankings - Page 3 Empty Re: Powerade Fab 50 Rankings

Post by Ferris 17/02/12, 09:36 am

Pitchmon wrote:
Ferris wrote:
Longing4agame wrote:
1st 2theball wrote:
u95g dad wrote:I expected Boyd to get the #1 ranking with SLC and Marcus losing. I would think they would be #1 in the National Ranking as well since #3 lost. There is a good chance they will stay there until playoffs and maybe the rest of the year if they run the table.

I was surprised to see Plano West #2. I understand they beat Marcus but they also lost to Fossil Ridge (not that long ago) and tied two other teams. I would think SLC and Marcus would both be ahead of West since each only have one loss and both were to strong teams.

And where is Ridge in the rankings? I know they have some quality wins against PW and Coppell and played SLC tough. They must have some bad losses as well.

Thankfully, it will all be determined on the pitch but it is fun to talk about anyway. cheers

Not sure about any bad losses for the Ridge...I know there were some losses early during pre-season tourneys where bench was emptied and coach was tinkering with line-ups and such...I believe there was one game where an outside mid ended up playing keeper.. Shocked

Rankings this early are fun to talk about, but I agree that they will hold more value after everyone has gone thru the district @ least once.

I would agree about no bad losses for Ridge. They've been competitive in every game. I find it hard to believe they are not in these rankings either. I guess thats what you get when you're in a district with SLC, Coppell and Keller. That's reminiscent of the murderers row lineup for the '27 Yankees. Ridge has beat Coppell, lost to SLC, and has Keller next Tuesday. They are fun to watch for sure.

Not that they are BAD losses by any means, but I'm confident the reason that Fossil Ridge isn't on his rankings is because of their losses to Allen and Hebron. Allen and Hebron have had other losses/ties that have dropped them out of his rankings as well. So, despite Ridge's wins against Coppell and Plano West, the combination of all factors/competition has likely left Fossil Ridge just outside the Texas Top 20 in his mind. Just my two cents...

My take on these standings is obviously it starts on previous year and I think they put a lot of weight on what was the old Nolan Showcase. So bad or not noticeable previous year, don't play in the showcase and you get what you get. Doesn't make it right, Ridge has a fine team but from 10,000 feet they may not be seen.........yet.
Yes, you're take is exactly right. Previous year results seem to influence the rankings heavily (until proven to be inaccurate through current year play). The fact that the old Nolan Showcase pits "ranked" teams from Texas, Florida & California and as such is the only real chance to evaluate cross-state competition would explain the weighting given to that event. I'm sure the fact that the individual doing the ranking personally attended all of the games played at TCU also plays into the weighting given to results from that tournament (for the better or worse). As you suggest, everything else in the rankings is then a result of making comparisons to those data points until proven otherwise on the field. Not a bad system, but it's not perfect either. I've yet to find one that is...

I've always thought that someone taking the time to publicly acknowledge and evaluate girls' soccer on a national platform (as well as those that play it) is a very good thing. So kudos to him/them for their involvement. At this point it's fun to have any kind of ranking as a reference point to help frame our "discussions" and biases. Smile

Ferris
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by locomotion 17/02/12, 11:11 pm

Ferris wrote:
Pitchmon wrote:
Ferris wrote:
Longing4agame wrote:
1st 2theball wrote:
u95g dad wrote:I expected Boyd to get the #1 ranking with SLC and Marcus losing. I would think they would be #1 in the National Ranking as well since #3 lost. There is a good chance they will stay there until playoffs and maybe the rest of the year if they run the table.

I was surprised to see Plano West #2. I understand they beat Marcus but they also lost to Fossil Ridge (not that long ago) and tied two other teams. I would think SLC and Marcus would both be ahead of West since each only have one loss and both were to strong teams.

And where is Ridge in the rankings? I know they have some quality wins against PW and Coppell and played SLC tough. They must have some bad losses as well.

Thankfully, it will all be determined on the pitch but it is fun to talk about anyway. cheers

Not sure about any bad losses for the Ridge...I know there were some losses early during pre-season tourneys where bench was emptied and coach was tinkering with line-ups and such...I believe there was one game where an outside mid ended up playing keeper.. Shocked

Rankings this early are fun to talk about, but I agree that they will hold more value after everyone has gone thru the district @ least once.

I would agree about no bad losses for Ridge. They've been competitive in every game. I find it hard to believe they are not in these rankings either. I guess thats what you get when you're in a district with SLC, Coppell and Keller. That's reminiscent of the murderers row lineup for the '27 Yankees. Ridge has beat Coppell, lost to SLC, and has Keller next Tuesday. They are fun to watch for sure.

Not that they are BAD losses by any means, but I'm confident the reason that Fossil Ridge isn't on his rankings is because of their losses to Allen and Hebron. Allen and Hebron have had other losses/ties that have dropped them out of his rankings as well. So, despite Ridge's wins against Coppell and Plano West, the combination of all factors/competition has likely left Fossil Ridge just outside the Texas Top 20 in his mind. Just my two cents...

My take on these standings is obviously it starts on previous year and I think they put a lot of weight on what was the old Nolan Showcase. So bad or not noticeable previous year, don't play in the showcase and you get what you get. Doesn't make it right, Ridge has a fine team but from 10,000 feet they may not be seen.........yet.
Yes, you're take is exactly right. Previous year results seem to influence the rankings heavily (until proven to be inaccurate through current year play). The fact that the old Nolan Showcase pits "ranked" teams from Texas, Florida & California and as such is the only real chance to evaluate cross-state competition would explain the weighting given to that event. I'm sure the fact that the individual doing the ranking personally attended all of the games played at TCU also plays into the weighting given to results from that tournament (for the better or worse). As you suggest, everything else in the rankings is then a result of making comparisons to those data points until proven otherwise on the field. Not a bad system, but it's not perfect either. I've yet to find one that is...

I've always thought that someone taking the time to publicly acknowledge and evaluate girls' soccer on a national platform (as well as those that play it) is a very good thing. So kudos to him/them for their involvement. At this point it's fun to have any kind of ranking as a reference point to help frame our "discussions" and biases. Smile
I've got no bias. I think my rankings are better Very Happy

locomotion
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

http://www.sportsmobility.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenshi Dave 18/02/12, 12:15 am

Loco ... Do you live in Flower Mound or Lewisville High School area?

I'm surprised Plano United isn't in the top ten.
Kenshi Dave
Kenshi Dave
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by locomotion 18/02/12, 11:44 am

Kenshi Dave wrote:Loco ... Do you live in Flower Mound or Lewisville High School area?

I'm surprised Plano United isn't in the top ten.
I do live in the Flower Mound / Lewisville area. But my daughter no longer plays soccer... Ok, maybe I'm still a LITTLE biased... but I still like my rankings better... :-)

locomotion
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenshi Dave 18/02/12, 05:33 pm

Sorry ... I didn't mean PLANO United ... I meant North Texas United.
Kenshi Dave
Kenshi Dave
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by locomotion 19/02/12, 08:20 pm

Kenshi Dave wrote:Sorry ... I didn't mean PLANO United ... I meant North Texas United.
I figured that. I have a good idea when my leg is being pulled... Cool

locomotion
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Pitchmon 19/02/12, 10:47 pm

locomotion wrote:
Ferris wrote:
Pitchmon wrote:
Ferris wrote:
Longing4agame wrote:
1st 2theball wrote:

I've got no bias. I think my rankings are better Very Happy

I like the LOCO rankings he has at least heard of Keller who so far is doing o.k. and in the mix for playoffs> The seconfd half of 7-5A will be intersting!
Pitchmon
Pitchmon
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Powerade Fab 50 Rankings - Page 3 Empty "New" State Rankings as of Feb 20, 2012

Post by Ferris 20/02/12, 12:27 pm

New State Rankings posted today on ESPNHS...no real change from last week. I'm still not sure why Mansfield and Coppell don't ever drop, despite both registering a tie last week...Westlake continues to get credit for only losing to Marcus, Southlake and Klein Oak (certainly no shame in those losses...however, ties against The Colony, Arlington, Waco Midway and S.A. Reagan don't seem to hurt them either). Klein Oak, Kingwood and Cy-Fair all seem to be strong contenders from Houston area. Any other thoughts on the ranking?

Texas: 1. McKinney Boyd (11-0-2), 2. Plano West (10-1-2), 3. Marcus (15-1-0), 4. Southlake Carroll (17-1-0), 5. Mansfield (10-1-3), 6. Coppell (12-2-3), 7. Ursuline Academy (22-2-0*), 8. Klein Oak (12-0-1), 9. Kingwood (13-2-1), 10. Grapevine (12-2-2), 11. Westlake (8-3-4), 12. Cy-Fair (10-1-1), 13. Fort Worth Country Day (16-1-1*), 14. Flower Mound (11-2-0), 15. St. Agnes (22-2-2*), 16. Wakeland (12-0-2), 17. Seven Lakes (12-3-0), 18. Fort Bend Austin (9-0-3), 19. Keller (9-2-3), 20. Denton Ryan (12-1-0).

ALSO...Congrats to Ursuline on their TAPPS championship!
Ferris
Ferris
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Numanga 22/02/12, 07:59 am

Should be a big shake up in the Top 10 with Boyd losing and another Plano West tie last night.
Uncle Numanga
Uncle Numanga
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by stillyuk 22/02/12, 09:59 am

Rowlett? They lost to Rowlett? What's the story? Any player meltdowns for Boyd (wouldn't be the first time)?

stillyuk
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by TX Cole 22/02/12, 02:27 pm

stillyuk wrote:Rowlett? They lost to Rowlett? What's the story? Any player meltdowns for Boyd (wouldn't be the first time)?
No meltdowns, just got beat, we didn't finish our chances in the first half, and got beat to every ball the in second half.

TX Cole
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by u95g dad 22/02/12, 05:09 pm

TX Cole wrote:
stillyuk wrote:Rowlett? They lost to Rowlett? What's the story? Any player meltdowns for Boyd (wouldn't be the first time)?
No meltdowns, just got beat, we didn't finish our chances in the first half, and got beat to every ball the in second half.
Congrats on a long run of being undefeated! cheers The loss may actually help the team because they won't have the pressure of the streak on their shoulders. Also, getting a few competitive district games will help them get better for the playoffs. The rematch should be a fun one to watch.
u95g dad
u95g dad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by stillyuk 22/02/12, 05:15 pm

TX Cole wrote:

It happens in this sport! How they respond is the key.

stillyuk
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by blondefish 22/02/12, 06:19 pm

Longing4agame wrote:
1st 2theball wrote:

Ridge vs Keller game was a battle until the final whistle. Lots of great talent on both sides of the ball. Ridge came out on top 1-0. Now looking forward to our rematch vs. Southlake. GO RIDGE!! Very Happy
blondefish
blondefish
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

http://www.texasmustangssc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Numanga 23/02/12, 07:00 am

BOO RIDGE!
Uncle Numanga
Uncle Numanga
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Longing4agame 23/02/12, 07:47 am

Uncle Numanga wrote:BOO RIDGE!

BOO you.
Longing4agame
Longing4agame
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Numanga 23/02/12, 10:27 am

Longing4agame wrote:

BOO you.

Boo you too.
Uncle Numanga
Uncle Numanga
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by u95g dad 23/02/12, 01:53 pm

Uncle Numanga wrote:
Longing4agame wrote:

BOO you.

Boo you too.

Boo Who? Sad
u95g dad
u95g dad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Numanga 23/02/12, 02:15 pm

I do not boo you
Uncle Numanga
Uncle Numanga
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Pitchmon 23/02/12, 10:50 pm

blondefish wrote:
Longing4agame wrote:
1st 2theball wrote:

A scrum after a late corner decided it, good game evenly matched

Ridge vs Keller game was a battle until the final whistle. Lots of great talent on both sides of the ball. Ridge came out on top 1-0. Now looking forward to our rematch vs. Southlake. GO RIDGE!! Very Happy

Boo Ridge..LOL...a scrum after a corner decided it, evenly matched game, refs well lets not go there. LOL
Pitchmon
Pitchmon
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Powerade Fab 50 Rankings - Page 3 Empty Texas Rankings Thru 2/26

Post by Frogfan1 27/02/12, 10:55 am

Texas: 1. Southlake Carroll (18-1-0), 2. Plano West (11-1-3), 3. McKinney Boyd (12-1-2), 4. Marcus (16-2-0), 5. Mansfield (12-1-3), 6. Coppell (13-2-3), 7. Ursuline Academy (22-2-0*), 8. Klein Oak (14-0-1), 9. Kingwood (15-2-1), 10. Grapevine (14-2-2), 11. Westlake (10-3-4), 12. Cy-Fair (11-1-2), 13. Rowlett (10-1-3), 14. Fort Worth Country Day (16-1-1*), 15. Flower Mound (12-2-1), 16. Wakeland (14-0-2), 17. Fort Bend Austin (12-0-3), 18. St. Agnes (22-2-2*), 19. Denton Ryan (14-1-0), 20. Fossil Ridge (7-3-1).

Frogfan1
Frogfan1
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Powerade Fab 50 Rankings - Page 3 Empty UPDATED Texas Top 20 - Week of Feb 27

Post by Ferris 27/02/12, 01:59 pm

Frogfan1 wrote:Texas: 1. Southlake Carroll (18-1-0), 2. Plano West (11-1-3), 3. McKinney Boyd (12-1-2), 4. Marcus (16-2-0), 5. Mansfield (12-1-3), 6. Coppell (13-2-3), 7. Ursuline Academy (22-2-0*), 8. Klein Oak (14-0-1), 9. Kingwood (15-2-1), 10. Grapevine (14-2-2), 11. Westlake (10-3-4), 12. Cy-Fair (11-1-2), 13. Rowlett (10-1-3), 14. Fort Worth Country Day (16-1-1*), 15. Flower Mound (12-2-1), 16. Wakeland (14-0-2), 17. Fort Bend Austin (12-0-3), 18. St. Agnes (22-2-2*), 19. Denton Ryan (14-1-0), 20. Fossil Ridge (7-3-1).

Some interesting changes, although not unexpected...top 4 are shuffled after losses by Boyd and Marcus. Boyd drops 2 spots, Marcus 1. Southlake jumps two spots with a win on Tuesday and Plano West stands pat after a win and a tie. Rowlett gets credit for a good record and vaults into top 20 at #13 after beating Boyd, while Flower Mound drops a spot to #15 after tying Plano West (go figure). Keller drops out after losing to Fossil Ridge who enters at #20. Katy Seven Lakes is the other team to drop out after a loss and a tie. It would appear only head-to-head wins/losses will create much movement among the top 20. I would expect most of this group to stay largely unchanged until playoffs shakes things out. Others thoughts?
Ferris
Ferris
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Frogfan1 27/02/12, 04:03 pm

Ferris wrote:
Frogfan1 wrote:Texas: 1. Southlake Carroll (18-1-0), 2. Plano West (11-1-3), 3. McKinney Boyd (12-1-2), 4. Marcus (16-2-0), 5. Mansfield (12-1-3), 6. Coppell (13-2-3), 7. Ursuline Academy (22-2-0*), 8. Klein Oak (14-0-1), 9. Kingwood (15-2-1), 10. Grapevine (14-2-2), 11. Westlake (10-3-4), 12. Cy-Fair (11-1-2), 13. Rowlett (10-1-3), 14. Fort Worth Country Day (16-1-1*), 15. Flower Mound (12-2-1), 16. Wakeland (14-0-2), 17. Fort Bend Austin (12-0-3), 18. St. Agnes (22-2-2*), 19. Denton Ryan (14-1-0), 20. Fossil Ridge (7-3-1).

Some interesting changes, although not unexpected...top 4 are shuffled after losses by Boyd and Marcus. Boyd drops 2 spots, Marcus 1. Southlake jumps two spots with a win on Tuesday and Plano West stands pat after a win and a tie. Rowlett gets credit for a good record and vaults into top 20 at #13 after beating Boyd, while Flower Mound drops a spot to #15 after tying Plano West (go figure). Keller drops out after losing to Fossil Ridge who enters at #20. Katy Seven Lakes is the other team to drop out after a loss and a tie. It would appear only head-to-head wins/losses will create much movement among the top 20. I would expect most of this group to stay largely unchanged until playoffs shakes things out. Others thoughts?

Which rankings do you guys think are the most accurate? The ESPN one above or Loco's http://www.sportsmobility.net/ ?
Frogfan1
Frogfan1
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Longing4agame 27/02/12, 04:15 pm

Frogfan1 wrote:
Ferris wrote:

Which rankings do you guys think are the most accurate? The ESPN one above or Loco's http://www.sportsmobility.net/ ?

Depends on the criteria used in Loco's rankings.
Longing4agame
Longing4agame
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferris 27/02/12, 04:28 pm

Frogfan1 wrote:
Ferris wrote:

In general, I think the ESPN ranking does a pretty good job once there have been some games played to even out any lingering pre-season biases, etc. (a problem with any early season ranking system). In my opinion, ESPN tends to assign appropriate weighting to strength of each region, strength of 5A vs 4A vs Private, and common opponents overall. That's not to say that some of the pre-season biases don't tend to linger a bit. For example, Austin Westlake appears to be a good team (their only losses being all 1-0 to Carroll, Marcus and Klein Oak), however, they are ranked higher than I would expect on a consistent basis given their other ties. Similarly, Fossil Ridge is getting some acknowledgement for their wins over Plano West and Keller yet they are the only team with 3 losses (besides Westlake) in the Top 20. If I'm going to fire off some hot sports opinions, I guess I would add that Mansfield and Coppell seem to be ranked higher than they should be based on competition-to-date.

Loco's rankings are great, but different than ESPN's at this point. I really like to see all of the top Texas teams and where they stack up against each other based on their record. Loco's ranking is a statistical average based on record alone, although I know Loco has plans to incorporate strength-of-schedule, as well as his usual magic. He has shown before that his rankings can be very accurate on the whole and I would expect them to continue to evolve. Only a few of the top 50 on his list do not have complete game histories, but in general, the ranking appears to be a good snapshot of the top programs in the state as we move towards playoffs.
Ferris
Ferris
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by locomotion 27/02/12, 07:15 pm

High School is different than the club rankings. The age group moves along over time, and the makeup of a team generally stayed the same. At least when the N+1 rule was still in place. The season was longer. There were many more games to work from.

The Varsity team of a High School changes radically from year to year, so past history doesn't really account for future performance. Though on rare occasion, there is some overlap year over year. One or 2 key players can come in as freshman, and make a difference for the full 4 years.

The big problem with rankings, especially early in the year, is the strength of schedule. How to determine it. Unlike club, where I could define multipliers, DI = 8, D2 = 4, D3 = 2, and Plano/Arlington = 1, High School doesn't lend itself to the same type of multipliers. Is 5A always better than 4A? Is 4A better than Private? Take Ursuline. Marcus beat them 2-0, and Plano West beat them 1-0. And thats it. They won everything else.

I'm having a hard time trying to come up with a math formula that considers all of the variability within each division. Then you have the district. Is 3-5A lower than 18-5A. Is 7-5A better than 8-5A? With the top 3 in 7-5A avg 21.67 in rank by record, and the top 3 in 8-5A avg 15.3 in rank by record. Lower is better by the way :-)

I'm guessing that there are some 4A districts that can beat the pants off some of the 5A districts. Likely, the schools in 4A that will be moving up to 5A, v. the 5As that are moving down to 4A. But, even that doesn't tell the story...

So, for now, until I can come up with something else, I'm sticking with record. You'll note that I added the ability to seperate the divisions out so that a strictly division comparison can also be made. You choose your poison.

Looking at just the 5A rankings, I'm pretty sure that the top 20 are pretty good. A few can be shuffled around a bit, but it's pretty decent I think. I think we'll see a few others pop up in the top 20, as they get more recorded games in the system.

We'll see who's better when the end is near..... Maybe. Very Happy

locomotion
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next