North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Anyone else think outdoor on Feb 11th is STUPID? Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Anyone else think outdoor on Feb 11th is STUPID?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Anyone else think outdoor on Feb 11th is STUPID? Empty Anyone else think outdoor on Feb 11th is STUPID?

Post by RosiePalms 10/02/12, 05:14 pm

Why does the LHGCL spring season start the 2nd weekend in February? There are several important games tomorrow and instead of playing soccer, they girls will be battling wind chills in the teens trying to survive. I don't understand the rush to get things started so early and when it is so cold. Can we not start playing in a month and shoot for 2 games a week or even let the season end a little later. I know for many age groups, the season is 70% over before it is even really spring and games are done before the end of April.

It isn't just LHGCL, rec leagues are starting up in a week or so as well. Nothing is more stupid dealing with the health and popularity of our sport than scheduling 5 year olds to play at 8am in February and this happens in basically every league across the NTX.

The average high in 30 days is 10 degrees higher and if we actually waited until the end of March the average high hits around 70. Instead we are heading out tomorrow to play a game when it will be in the 20s. Um, stupid.
RosiePalms
RosiePalms
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Anyone else think outdoor on Feb 11th is STUPID? Empty Re: Anyone else think outdoor on Feb 11th is STUPID?

Post by BackDraft 10/02/12, 05:33 pm

RosiePalms wrote:Why does the LHGCL spring season start the 2nd weekend in February? There are several important games tomorrow and instead of playing soccer, they girls will be battling wind chills in the teens trying to survive. I don't understand the rush to get things started so early and when it is so cold. Can we not start playing in a month and shoot for 2 games a week or even let the season end a little later. I know for many age groups, the season is 70% over before it is even really spring and games are done before the end of April.

It isn't just LHGCL, rec leagues are starting up in a week or so as well. Nothing is more stupid dealing with the health and popularity of our sport than scheduling 5 year olds to play at 8am in February and this happens in basically every league across the NTX.

The average high in 30 days is 10 degrees higher and if we actually waited until the end of March the average high hits around 70. Instead we are heading out tomorrow to play a game when it will be in the 20s. Um, stupid.
Your DD does not have to play. You should call the leagues and ask them what the problem is and why are they being stupid!
BackDraft
BackDraft
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Anyone else think outdoor on Feb 11th is STUPID? Empty Re: Anyone else think outdoor on Feb 11th is STUPID?

Post by Guest 10/02/12, 05:41 pm

They're just trying to mimic their heroes... Didn't I read somewhere that the USWNT is playing a game in NTX on Feb. 11th???

Back to top Go down

Post by justsayin02 10/02/12, 05:45 pm

Rosie, before I get on with my response to your topic.....can you please find another AVATAR, although this website is for parents, it is about our underage DD's and it just seems a bit tasteless to be using your screen name and avatar on this site! I know you were probably going for that affect but really????

As far as the times of year the games are played, I agree that it is tough weather sometimes, very tough, especially for 5yrs olds. However, many teams in the U9 and U10 age bracket play more than 1 league a weekend, so they already have two games a week. They also look forward to the league time ending so they can participate in all the tournaments that take place after the leagues end.

Wait til high school or select, when they schedule you at 9pm in Feb., not freezing rain, sleet or snow will stop a game!

Justsayin
justsayin02
justsayin02
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamethrower 10/02/12, 06:01 pm

Incorrect, High school soccer has set rules for weather. Below freezing and the game is called off. or if the wind chill is at a certain number. The only reason Lake or Chamber classic does not cancel is to save the scheduler time. They could both care less about the quality of soccer being played.

Flamethrower
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 1more_dd_dad 10/02/12, 06:02 pm

The problem with starting later involves Spring Break, Easter and Rainouts... With just one rain out and a weekend off at Spring break your already into the first week of May. In the case of select, the month of June is for open practice. I for one like the few weeks breake for vacation and other things, where do you move the games?
1more_dd_dad
1more_dd_dad
Original Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1more_dd_dad 10/02/12, 06:07 pm

Flamethrower wrote:Incorrect, High school soccer has set rules for weather. Below freezing and the game is called off. or if the wind chill is at a certain number. The only reason Lake or Chamber classic does not cancel is to save the scheduler time. They could both care less about the quality of soccer being played.

This is very inaccurate. You do not understand the logistics of coordinating multiple fields and locations with multiple associations. Add out of town teams to the mix and its even more dificult. I have had a role in deciding if games play for a while now and and you would be suprised at the nasty phone calls I have recieved for cancelling games in the worst of weather. Its more about logistics and much much less about saving anyone time...
1more_dd_dad
1more_dd_dad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/02/12, 06:42 pm

Rosie must have some compromising photos of the Lake Highlands board members as they just cancelled all games for tomorrow...

Back to top Go down

Post by Ownsyourface 10/02/12, 06:44 pm

Hearing that at least some of the early games may have been cancelled.
Ownsyourface
Ownsyourface
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/02/12, 06:47 pm

Ownsyourface wrote:Hearing that at least some of the early games may have been cancelled.

Just got an e-mail from the LHGCL scheduler that said ALL games tomorrow have been cancelled.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ownsyourface 10/02/12, 07:03 pm

bwgophers wrote:Rosie must have some compromising photos of the Lake Highlands board members as they just cancelled all games for tomorrow...

I guess maybe I should pay more attention.
Ownsyourface
Ownsyourface
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by EyesWideOpen 10/02/12, 07:24 pm

Ownsyourface wrote:Hearing that at least some of the early games may have been cancelled.

Does this mean LH cares more than Primetime? Or maybe it will somehow be warmer on the Primetime fields...maybe they're bringing in giant heters...and domes!
EyesWideOpen
EyesWideOpen
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by intrinsic 10/02/12, 08:13 pm

1more_dd_dad wrote:The problem with starting later involves Spring Break, Easter and Rainouts... With just one rain out and a weekend off at Spring break your already into the first week of May. In the case of select, the month of June is for open practice. I for one like the few weeks breake for vacation and other things, where do you move the games?

I wish this were true for Plano (PPL). Most 99 teams have four games over Spring Break (Sat/Sun on both weekends).

intrinsic
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

http://www.BlazeSoccer.org

Back to top Go down

Post by coachr 10/02/12, 08:27 pm

bwgophers wrote:

Just got an e-mail from the LHGCL scheduler that said ALL games tomorrow have been cancelled.
LH is just scared Rosie's five sisters will speak up too.

In all seriousness, I'm sick of all of the non competitive parents screwing up the opportunity for the rest of us to get our families out in whatever weather we feel necessary.
coachr
coachr
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by intrinsic 10/02/12, 08:32 pm

When school is cancelled due to snow or ice, what is the first thing that many kids want to do? Go outside and play in the same weather that is being deemed too cold for an organized game.

Growing up in NY, I would meet a friend to practice hockey on the pond in the center of town before school. Glad we didn't wait for warmer weather. And some hockey teams in our league had outdoor rinks, so of course sometimes we played in bitter cold weather.

Maybe it would be better to start the soccer season later, but cold weather can come to TX even in March sometimes, and when it does, I think we should play the games anyway.

intrinsic
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

http://www.BlazeSoccer.org

Back to top Go down

Post by The Force 10/02/12, 09:56 pm

we can play in 110 heat , but a little cold we don't

wow
The Force
The Force
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner9 11/02/12, 12:32 am

Flamethrower wrote:Incorrect, High school soccer has set rules for weather. Below freezing and the game is called off. or if the wind chill is at a certain number. The only reason Lake or Chamber classic does not cancel is to save the scheduler time. They could both care less about the quality of soccer being played.

Must be a new rule. I've sat in stands with 3 inches of ice on them and it was WAY below 32.
Gunner9
Gunner9
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamethrower 11/02/12, 12:55 am

You must be"Old school"the time before we all thought about the kids. UIL rules are as fact now.. you old school folk are stupid.. and yes, I grew up old school.. Just look out for the best interest of the kids and the development ofthe game first now. Who or what team is going to learn anything tomorrow, or better yet "Develop" in 25 -30 mph winds? ass cold?

Flamethrower
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by justsayin02 11/02/12, 02:58 am

Gunner9 wrote:

Must be a new rule. I've sat in stands with 3 inches of ice on them and it was WAY below 32.

Must be new bcuz I too have sat in stands with sleet and snow coming down that started before, during and continued after game and they didn't call it. Must be very new as my daughter is a 2010 graduate.
justsayin02
justsayin02
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by PokerPro 11/02/12, 06:23 am

If we had a 2 hour practice scheduled under these "horrible" conditions that would still take place.
We're from the west side of the world and I'm sure the reschedule will be on a school day at 6:30pm.
That means we will get to pick up our kiddo from school at 4:15, bring her change of clothes so she can change in the car on the drive, and then head 45 miles somewhere north in rush hour traffic. In the past this has proven to be at least a 75 to 90 minute drive. Then we'll get to play the game and get home around 9 if we don't stop to grab dinner...all of this on a school night.
So yeah when the games are cancelled it is a HUGE problem for us especially when it's because it's "too cold" It is Feburary so umm yeah....what do they expect? This is also the spring season so I'm sure we can expect more games to be cancelled due to weather so for the first one to be cancelled for such a lame reason is frustrating.

PokerPro
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty 11/02/12, 08:34 am

PokerPro wrote:If we had a 2 hour practice scheduled under these "horrible" conditions that would still take place.
We're from the west side of the world and I'm sure the reschedule will be on a school day at 6:30pm.
That means we will get to pick up our kiddo from school at 4:15, bring her change of clothes so she can change in the car on the drive, and then head 45 miles somewhere north in rush hour traffic. In the past this has proven to be at least a 75 to 90 minute drive. Then we'll get to play the game and get home around 9 if we don't stop to grab dinner...all of this on a school night.
So yeah when the games are cancelled it is a HUGE problem for us especially when it's because it's "too cold" It is Feburary so umm yeah....what do they expect? This is also the spring season so I'm sure we can expect more games to be cancelled due to weather so for the first one to be cancelled for such a lame reason is frustrating.

Maybe they are going to follow the pattern they established at some of the older ages. Cancel as many games as they can early, adjust the schedules to play 5-6 games in a 10 day period and call it a season.

Lefty
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11/02/12, 08:52 am

PokerPro wrote:If we had a 2 hour practice scheduled under these "horrible" conditions that would still take place.

Lets see, 5:00A.m. wake-up 40 min drive to field, on the field at 7:00(no sun yet) warm-up if you can because its 26 degrees with 25 mile per hour winds game starts 8:00 A.M NO THANKS! I will take my chances for a week day game at 50+ degree temps.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pele98 11/02/12, 09:20 am

totalsoccer wrote:

Lets see, 5:00A.m. wake-up 40 min drive to field, on the field at 7:00(no sun yet) warm-up if you can because its 26 degrees with 25 mile per hour winds game starts 8:00 A.M NO THANKS! I will take my chances for a week day game at 50+ degree temps.

And that's a difference between those who JUST want to play and those who REALLY want to play.
Pele98
Pele98
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11/02/12, 09:44 am

Pele98 wrote:
totalsoccer wrote:

And that's a difference between those who JUST want to play and those who REALLY want to play.

Really, you think the weather makes a player and or quetions a players passion! LOL Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 11/02/12, 10:07 am

Wow, no one is mentioning concussions due to rock hard soccer balls or muscle pulls from tightening up in the cold. Kids don't die from cold. Where are you all when it is 110 out and there is a REAL danger present. With the exception of the really little ones this is about the parents not wanting to get cold. Get over it. Get your kid under armor gear, put on some long johns and quit whining.
I too have been to HS games that went below 32 degrees.

my2cents
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next