North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Why is LH recruiting Seniors?? Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Why is LH recruiting Seniors??

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Why is LH recruiting Seniors?? Empty Why is LH recruiting Seniors??

Post by futbollove 11/03/12, 09:44 am

I have much respect for my elders. I appreciate the fact that they have been on this earth, paid their dues, and I believe they should be able to liye out their twilight years however they please. But I don't want to see them officiating competitive soccer games. I can't count the number of retirees I saw officiating in the couple of hours I spent at UTD yesteday. (Sadly, most were AR's)
If you're too old to work anywhere else, you're too old to officiate youth sports. Shame on you LH.
futbollove
futbollove
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Why is LH recruiting Seniors?? Empty Re: Why is LH recruiting Seniors??

Post by Ed 11/03/12, 10:41 am

futbollove wrote:I have much respect for my elders. I appreciate the fact that they have been on this earth, paid their dues, and I believe they should be able to liye out their twilight years however they please. But I don't want to see them officiating competitive soccer games. I can't count the number of retirees I saw officiating in the couple of hours I spent at UTD yesteday. (Sadly, most were AR's)
If you're too old to work anywhere else, you're too old to officiate youth sports. Shame on you LH.

You are off base here, age isn't the problem with most refs, I know plenty of retirees that are more fit than most of the parents on the sidelines. I know several men 70+ that can run a half marathon. The problem isn't the age of the referees, it is the fitness and competency. I've seen refs in their 30s that were too out of shape to be reffing and plenty that don't know how to position themselves to be able to make good calls/no calls.

Ed
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by futbollove 11/03/12, 10:56 am

Ed wrote:
futbollove wrote:I have much respect for my elders. I appreciate the fact that they have been on this earth, paid their dues, and I believe they should be able to liye out their twilight years however they please. But I don't want to see them officiating competitive soccer games. I can't count the number of retirees I saw officiating in the couple of hours I spent at UTD yesteday. (Sadly, most were AR's)

You are off base here, age isn't the problem with most refs, I know plenty of retirees that are more fit than most of the parents on the sidelines. I know several men 70+ that can run a half marathon. The problem isn't the age of the referees, it is the fitness and competency. I've seen refs in their 30s that were too out of shape to be reffing and plenty that don't know how to position themselves to be able to make good calls/no calls.

Just because they can run a marathon doesn't mean they can keep up with the back and forth of a select soccer game.
futbollove
futbollove
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by inthenet 11/03/12, 11:26 am

At least one of those "seniors" you saw yesterday is a nationally badged level 4 referee. I suspect he's figured out a way to "keep up" with the incredible speed and skill of a U11 to U15 match.

I know that compared to the college and pro level, the Lake Highlands matches, with the myriad of parent referee assessors that attend every event, are much more demanding.

inthenet
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by futbollove 11/03/12, 02:12 pm

inthenet wrote:

At least one of those "seniors" you saw yesterday is a nationally badged level 4 referee. I suspect he's figured out a way to "keep up" with the incredible speed and skill of a U11 to U15 match.

I know that compared to the college and pro level, the Lake Highlands matches, with the myriad of parent referee assessors that attend every event, are much more demanding.

He obviously wasn't one of the refs I saw, and if so, that was decades ago.
futbollove
futbollove
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Why is LH recruiting Seniors?? Empty Is this how it happens?

Post by Guest 11/03/12, 02:32 pm

Why is LH recruiting Seniors?? 103033

Excuse me, but LHGCL is running low on referee's for this weekend.
Can you help out?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed 11/03/12, 08:09 pm

futbollove wrote:
Ed wrote:

Just because they can run a marathon doesn't mean they can keep up with the back and forth of a select soccer game.

Obviously you have no concept of fitness. Give me a fit 65+ year old center/AR over a out of shape 30 year old any day. And I have seen plenty of out of shape ~30 - 40 yr olds reffing LHGCL.

Ed
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by futbollove 11/03/12, 08:48 pm

Ed wrote:
futbollove wrote:
Ed wrote:

Obviously you have no concept of fitness. Give me a fit 65+ year old center/AR over a out of shape 30 year old any day. And I have seen plenty of out of shape ~30 - 40 yr olds reffing LHGCL.

And I've seen plenty of really bad, slow old 65 year olds reffing LHGCL. More than I care to see. I'm more concerned about the health of 11-15 yr old kids, than you and your 65+ "fit" buddies. But that's just me.
futbollove
futbollove
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed 11/03/12, 09:36 pm

futbollove wrote:
Ed wrote:
futbollove wrote:
Ed wrote:

And I've seen plenty of really bad, slow old 65 year olds reffing LHGCL. More than I care to see. I'm more concerned about the health of 11-15 yr old kids, than you and your 65+ "fit" buddies. But that's just me.

It appears you are more concerned about sterotyping rather than reality or the "health" of the kids. You are a bit slow on the uptake so let me type slow enough for you to hopefully understand, There are plenty of out of shape referees in LHGCL, CHamber Classic, PPL, APL, Rec, H.S. soccer, some are older some are younger and some are middle aged. There are also some very fit, very qualified "older" referees in these leagues as well as fit, qualified younger and middle aged refs. Age is not the problem with refs in these leagues, it is an overall lack of qualified, fit refs.
And no I am not a 65+ retiree...

Ed
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotshagger 11/03/12, 10:00 pm

giggedy wrote:Why is LH recruiting Seniors?? 103033

Excuse me, but LHGCL is running low on referee's for this weekend.
Can you help out?

This gal managed to recruit someone older than either of these geezers March 3.
Shotshagger
Shotshagger
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by TNT 12/03/12, 07:04 am

At least they speak english, that has to be a plus.

TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by NasirJones 12/03/12, 10:06 am

Here is an easy solution for anyone concerned with the Refs or safety of thier kid:

http://www.ntxsoccer.org/referee/becomeareferee.aspx
NasirJones
NasirJones
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by butt3r 12/03/12, 12:03 pm

NasirJones wrote:Here is an easy solution for anyone concerned with the Refs or safety of thier kid:

Maybe easy for you, but I would say most of us don't have the time or interest to become a referee. Also, nothing on that link says anything about being a quality referee, just a referee - which we have enough.
butt3r
butt3r
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by inthenet 12/03/12, 12:20 pm

Certainly its much more productive to get on this board and just complain about everything: Lake Highlands sucks, they schedule games when they shouldn't, they cancel games when they shouldn't, the fields suck, the referee's are too old, too young, too slow, and they just suck over all, the clubs suck, and the coaches suck.

I don't know why LH doesn't just say "we won't use refs over 40 years of age". Certainly there won't be any problem with that. Nothing discriminatory there.

inthenet
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 12/03/12, 12:30 pm

They should just hand cards and a whistle to the first heckler, um I mean expert, on the sidelines that yells something out about a wrong call. That way we can be sure to have the most qualified people out there. Razz No need to worry about the fitness either because we all know they are just lazy and anyone could do better. Wink

my2cents
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by futbollove 12/03/12, 12:37 pm

my2cents wrote:They should just hand cards and a whistle to the first heckler, um I mean expert, on the sidelines that yells something out about a wrong call. That way we can be sure to have the most qualified people out there. Razz No need to worry about the fitness either because we all know they are just lazy and anyone could do better. Wink

That may actually be an improvemet.
futbollove
futbollove
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner9 12/03/12, 12:41 pm

futbollove wrote:
my2cents wrote:They should just hand cards and a whistle to the first heckler, um I mean expert, on the sidelines that yells something out about a wrong call. That way we can be sure to have the most qualified people out there. Razz No need to worry about the fitness either because we all know they are just lazy and anyone could do better. Wink

Some years ago at WAGS (which used to be one of the top tourneys in the US), the tournament folks came to us and said one parent from each team would have to run a line in the next two games. The look of terror in the parent's eyes was priceless.
Gunner9
Gunner9
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 12/03/12, 01:23 pm

futbollove wrote:

I just can't understand why it is not possible to get better quality. I mean on an older game you can make up to $20 or so for a line and maybe $35 for a center. Three games $75 minus gas and lunch. At the end of the year if you make over $600 you get a 1099 and get to pay taxes as a self employed contractor. You might actually clear $50 for giving up your Saturday to listen to people 80 yards away scream you got it wrong when you had a different angle and were only 10 yards away.

If it is so bad that your kid is not safe then pull them off. It is a game. If you just don't like the call, step up or shut up.

my2cents
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Why is LH recruiting Seniors?? Empty Seen it done before

Post by twotone 12/03/12, 01:37 pm

One heckler was busy doing his best and the referee paused the game, jogged over to the heckler who was relaxing comfortably in his bag chair with his sandles off and his Route 44 Sonic drink (diet, of course) chilling in the cup holder. The ref didnt actually say anything to the heckler, just put the whistle in his extended hand in a gesture for the heckler to reach out and grab it. i don't remember any movement from the heckler other than there was no movement at all....not to stand up, not to reach out and take the whistle, not to trade shirts with the ref and put on the yellow, nothing. i might've seen him wipe the sweat off his brow, though.

of course, i'm not sure the heckler could've actually stood up without help based on how he was engulfing that bag chair with his big belly and butt sinking that thing into the ground. He couldn't have run across the field into position for free kick that was called after the foul that he couldn't see from 60 yards away.

twotone
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by NasirJones 12/03/12, 02:17 pm

my2cents wrote:
futbollove wrote:

I just can't understand why it is not possible to get better quality. I mean on an older game you can make up to $20 or so for a line and maybe $35 for a center. Three games $75 minus gas and lunch. At the end of the year if you make over $600 you get a 1099 and get to pay taxes as a self employed contractor. You might actually clear $50 for giving up your Saturday to listen to people 80 yards away scream you got it wrong when you had a different angle and were only 10 yards away.

If it is so bad that your kid is not safe then pull them off. It is a game. If you just don't like the call, step up or shut up.

BOOM!! Game over
NasirJones
NasirJones
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by NasirJones 12/03/12, 02:40 pm

butt3r wrote:
NasirJones wrote:Here is an easy solution for anyone concerned with the Refs or safety of thier kid:

Maybe easy for you, but I would say most of us don't have the time or interest to become a referee. Also, nothing on that link says anything about being a quality referee, just a referee - which we have enough.

Dude, that is a joke.. I guess you have plenty of time to complain... There are really dozens of Refs here in North Texas that were just Dads/Moms, who wanted to make a difference and began reffing. Trust me, it only takes about 6 months as a Ref to realize that the parents are way over the top.. Not to say it was not a terrible missed call that started this thread.. But us parents must believe that there is a quality group of top notch Refs just sitting around waiting for LH to pay a little more to lace em up, lol.. If you took more than the time it takes to type a complaint in txsoccer.net, you would know that: High School Refs, Ref in LH/PPL/APL every week, D1 and all levels of College Refs, Ref in LH/PPL/APL every week, you even have a few MLS guys Ref in LH/PPL/APL every week.... You think a College Soccer Ref is a FT Gig?? The human element of being a Ref is a part of the game, but that NFL instant replay generation has all us soccer parents feeling entitled...

I had the privilage of Reffing a Texans Tournament with a fellow Ref who was a FIFA Ref who had a World Cup under his belt. I could not believe I was on the field with this guy! He fell in love with Dallas when coming in to Ref the Dallas Cup. But that guy was yelled at from start to finish by the experts on the side... That is a true story and the point is, we parents have no idea what a good Ref is...

And incase you havent heard, us Refs call us parents "The Experts"...

Yea they should hire other Refs.. Hire who?? Hire YOU!!??
NasirJones
NasirJones
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by GOTB@LLZ?? 12/03/12, 03:43 pm

That's a great idea. Why not use that strategy in all aspects of life.

When you get bad service at a restaurant , don't complain to the manager. Pick up an application and get to work.

Next time someone cuts you off on the highway, don't yell or honk your horn. Get out of the car, and chauffeur that person around all day.

Co-worker being lazy, do his/her job for them.

Don't like illegals, don't complain to your Senator/representative, don't vote. Just start cutting your own grass, clean your own houses, keep your own kids. Embarassed

Of course I kid, but the answer to better officiating isn't to hand your whistle to anyone who disagrees with you. Learn your craft and do it to the best of your ability. Even if it is part time. Make the calls as you see them and go home with a clear conscience.
FYI - working in the service industry is the wrong profession for someone who can't take criticism. But hey, you can always complain about the customer and offer them the job you "volunteered" for. Maybe, you should try that on your FT job with your boss next time he criticizes your work.
GOTB@LLZ??
GOTB@LLZ??
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffM 12/03/12, 04:34 pm

GOTB@LLZ?? wrote:

When you get bad service at a restaurant , don't complain to the manager. Pick up an application and get to work.

Next time someone cuts you off on the highway, don't yell or honk your horn. Get out of the car, and chauffeur that person around all day.

Don't like illegals, don't complain to your Senator/representative, don't vote. Just start cutting your own grass, clean your own houses, keep your own kids. Embarassed

Of course I kid, but the answer to better officiating isn't to hand your whistle to anyone who disagrees with you. Learn your craft and do it to the best of your ability. Even if it is part time. Make the calls as you see them and go home with a clear conscience.
FYI - working in the service industry is the wrong profession for someone who can't take criticism. But hey, you can always complain about the customer and offer them the job you "volunteered" for. Maybe, you should try that on your FT job with your boss next time he criticizes your work.

I think the unique problem with this craft is that crowds go off on you even when you've got it right, and/or doing it to the best of your ability.

And I thought when you saw how you could do something better, you went out and started your own business, and made lots of money. Very Happy (Isn't that why there's so many restaraunts?)

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by inthenet 12/03/12, 04:54 pm

JeffM wrote:
GOTB@LLZ?? wrote:

I think the unique problem with this craft is that crowds go off on you even when you've got it right, and/or doing it to the best of your ability.

And I thought when you saw how you could do something better, you went out and started your own business, and made lots of money. Very Happy (Isn't that why there's so many restaraunts?)

I think that's the key point. The people doing all the criticizing, aren't, for the most part, remotely qualified to do so. My 17 year old quit reffing last year because she was tired of getting yelled at by over the top parents.

inthenet
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by RosiePalms 12/03/12, 04:59 pm

NasirJones wrote:
butt3r wrote:

Dude, that is a joke.. I guess you have plenty of time to complain... There are really dozens of Refs here in North Texas that were just Dads/Moms, who wanted to make a difference and began reffing. Trust me, it only takes about 6 months as a Ref to realize that the parents are way over the top.. Not to say it was not a terrible missed call that started this thread.. But us parents must believe that there is a quality group of top notch Refs just sitting around waiting for LH to pay a little more to lace em up, lol.. If you took more than the time it takes to type a complaint in txsoccer.net, you would know that: High School Refs, Ref in LH/PPL/APL every week, D1 and all levels of College Refs, Ref in LH/PPL/APL every week, you even have a few MLS guys Ref in LH/PPL/APL every week.... You think a College Soccer Ref is a FT Gig?? The human element of being a Ref is a part of the game, but that NFL instant replay generation has all us soccer parents feeling entitled...

I had the privilage of Reffing a Texans Tournament with a fellow Ref who was a FIFA Ref who had a World Cup under his belt. I could not believe I was on the field with this guy! He fell in love with Dallas when coming in to Ref the Dallas Cup. But that guy was yelled at from start to finish by the experts on the side... That is a true story and the point is, we parents have no idea what a good Ref is...

And incase you havent heard, us Refs call us parents "The Experts"...

Yea they should hire other Refs.. Hire who?? Hire YOU!!??

At first I thought your lack of understanding of the apostrophe (refree's are, lol) and bad grammer/mispelling (privilage) was just a sign of sloppy posting, but after reading this rant you confirmed what I thought about you all along. I won't even go into the number of stupid points you are making. Stating that you are a ref is just confirming the point originally brought up by OP.
RosiePalms
RosiePalms
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next