North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Guest Player Releases after Spring Season Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Guest Player Releases after Spring Season

Go down

Guest Player Releases after Spring Season Empty Guest Player Releases after Spring Season

Post by emergency brake 10/04/12, 08:54 am

With the Spring season almost over several girls are more than likely going to be looking for teams to guest play with during the upcoming May tournament season. If a coach knows that certain players will not be returning to the team what would hold them back from signing a release and allow these players to try and find a new home? Also, why would a coach want players playing tournaments/practicing in May that are clearly not part of the plan moving forward? That seems counterproductive to me and a waste of time for all involved.

I was just wondering what are the benefits/reasons for not signing the release?

emergency brake
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Guest Player Releases after Spring Season Empty Re: Guest Player Releases after Spring Season

Post by oldboot 10/04/12, 09:45 am

emergency brake wrote:With the Spring season almost over several girls are more than likely going to be looking for teams to guest play with during the upcoming May tournament season. If a coach knows that certain players will not be returning to the team what would hold them back from signing a release and allow these players to try and find a new home? Also, why would a coach want players playing tournaments/practicing in May that are clearly not part of the plan moving forward? That seems counterproductive to me and a waste of time for all involved.

Last edited by oldboot on 10/04/12, 09:48 am; edited 1 time in total
oldboot
oldboot
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Guest Player Releases after Spring Season Empty Re: Guest Player Releases after Spring Season

Post by bigtex75081 10/04/12, 09:46 am

emergency brake wrote:With the Spring season almost over several girls are more than likely going to be looking for teams to guest play with during the upcoming May tournament season. If a coach knows that certain players will not be returning to the team what would hold them back from signing a release and allow these players to try and find a new home? Also, why would a coach want players playing tournaments/practicing in May that are clearly not part of the plan moving forward? That seems counterproductive to me and a waste of time for all involved.

I don't think a coach will assume any DD is going to leave unless you tell him/her otherwise. Experienced coaches should know not to assume anything because a player that seems to want to leave may be planning to be loyal. Players that the coach expects to stay may have already had plans to be leaving. Making assumptions is dangerous this time of year.

The coach may still need those players. For tournaments for example. He/she may not be interested in helping out another team by casually dismissing the players he/she has already. Having all your players around also helps with recuiting. It's a lot easier to recruit new kids when you've got 14 kids at a practice than it is to recruit with only 4 kids attending practice. I'm sure pride has something to to with it too.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by voiceofreason 10/04/12, 09:51 am

You summed it up nicely, nothing to do with what's best for the child, all about the coach! I think the previous dude was alluding to the fact the coach has already been told these kids are leaving, no ASSumptions, so why would keeping them, and probably hacked off parents, around benefit anyone?

voiceofreason
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 10/04/12, 10:08 am

voiceofreason wrote:You summed it up nicely, nothing to do with what's best for the child, all about the coach! I think the previous dude was alluding to the fact the coach has already been told these kids are leaving, no ASSumptions, so why would keeping them, and probably hacked off parents, around benefit anyone?
I'm not coaching a select team so I can't speak on the behalf of all select coaches. With that said… the coach's priority isn't just one child, the coach's priority is all the kids that he/she is responsible for. Their concern is the team as a whole.

Let's say (purely hypothetical) that there are 15 kids on the coach's squad. There are two more big tournaments still to be played for his/her team. The coach knows he's going to need at least all 15 players for the hottest-Texas-summer-heat tournaments. 3 players (that are under contract and that he/she has been training all year) that are very important to the team want a release to chase a new bumper sticker together. The coach knows that if the team struggles in these 2 tournaments the entire team could crumble apart and leave the remaining 12 girls stuck wondering what to do.

It's the job of the parent to look out for their DD, to be their DD's best advocate. The coach needs to worry about the team as a whole and all those DDs.

Obviously what I've depicted is completely hypothetical but I could understand a coach not signing a release if doing so negatively impacted 10-13 other little girls.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by voiceofreason 10/04/12, 10:17 am

Point taken. However, is that not what guest players are for? If the coach knows these kids are checked out would the coach not be inviting new players to play with the reamaining 10-13 girls? Anyway, probably could go on and on and when it is hypothetical it is difficult but I do respect your thoughts on the matter.

voiceofreason
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by emergency brake 10/04/12, 11:02 am

bigtex75081 wrote:
voiceofreason wrote:You summed it up nicely, nothing to do with what's best for the child, all about the coach! I think the previous dude was alluding to the fact the coach has already been told these kids are leaving, no ASSumptions, so why would keeping them, and probably hacked off parents, around benefit anyone?
I'm not coaching a select team so I can't speak on the behalf of all select coaches. With that said… the coach's priority isn't just one child, the coach's priority is all the kids that he/she is responsible for. Their concern is the team as a whole.

Let's say (purely hypothetical) that there are 15 kids on the coach's squad. There are two more big tournaments still to be played for his/her team. The coach knows he's going to need at least all 15 players for the hottest-Texas-summer-heat tournaments. 3 players (that are under contract and that he/she has been training all year) that are very important to the team want a release to chase a new bumper sticker together. The coach knows that if the team struggles in these 2 tournaments the entire team could crumble apart and leave the remaining 12 girls stuck wondering what to do.

It's the job of the parent to look out for their DD, to be their DD's best advocate. The coach needs to worry about the team as a whole and all those DDs.

Obviously what I've depicted is completely hypothetical but I could understand a coach not signing a release if doing so negatively impacted 10-13 other little girls.

I appreciate the input on this. Say the coach refuses to sign release forms for some girls looking for another place to play. Why would these parents allow their kids to play in tournaments with this team when they know that their current team is no longer an option? Basically playing to help the current coach fill their spots and possibly risking injury. If these girls were forced to play then I would imagine that might backfire for the coach on potential new players.

emergency brake
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by fourfourtwo 10/04/12, 11:17 am

bigtex75081 wrote:

The flip side in your hypothetical scenario is the coach could be hurting the other 10-13 players by letting players and families stick around that don't want to be there. Most teams are made up of families that are friends and won't want any naysayers spoiling the party. If the team wants to have those players stick around just so they can do better in a tournament, so be it. IMO the coach hiding it from the team to get results is much more likely to result in the team crumbling....sooner or later.

Some coaches will give you a release on the spot if you don't want to be there. Sure, they might have to face that player again in an upcoming league or tourney game, and yes they might have to play with fewer subs than they had before, but that's still the best way to do it IMO. You retain the respect of the departing family, and more importantly, of all the other families still in your camp. The families remaining with you are there because they want to be, not because of your ability to prevent them playing for anyone else. How a coach handles these sorts of issues is something worth asking about before you sign.

fourfourtwo
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 10/04/12, 11:21 am

fourfourtwo wrote:
bigtex75081 wrote:

The flip side in your hypothetical scenario is the coach could be hurting the other 10-13 players by letting players and families stick around that don't want to be there. Most teams are made up of families that are friends and won't want any naysayers spoiling the party. If the team wants to have those players stick around just so they can do better in a tournament, so be it. IMO the coach hiding it from the team to get results is much more likely to result in the team crumbling....sooner or later.

Some coaches will give you a release on the spot if you don't want to be there. Sure, they might have to face that player again in an upcoming league or tourney game, and yes they might have to play with fewer subs than they had before, but that's still the best way to do it IMO. You retain the respect of the departing family, and more importantly, of all the other families still in your camp. The families remaining with you are there because they want to be, not because of your ability to prevent them playing for anyone else. How a coach handles these sorts of issues is something worth asking about before you sign.
I've become the devil's advocate here. Twisted Evil

As a parent, would you really consider encouraging your DD to tank a couple tournament games to prove a point to her coach? Or to get out of playing in the next tournament? I might be at odds with a coach but I'm not going to force my DD to reflect that distaste. My DD (and I'm sure yours as well) knows that she must always try her very best. She's a part of the team and she needs to treat that relationship with care.

I do understand the injury risk but injuries can happen anywhere at anytime. My DD fell "up" the stairs on her way to bed last night and started to complain about her foot, not kidding.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicycle Guru-NOT 10/04/12, 12:01 pm

Have been through this with 2 boys in select and now my DD. What are you teaching your child about responsibility and living up to commitments if you ignore the fact that your DD is under contract with her current club until the end of June. If her current team is not playing in the tournament it is not a big deal, but if they are she has committed to play for them until the contract expires. Long after her soccer career is over she will need to survive in the real world with the ethics and values she learns from you.
Bicycle Guru-NOT
Bicycle Guru-NOT
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by emergency brake 10/04/12, 01:14 pm

Bicycle Guru-NOT wrote:Have been through this with 2 boys in select and now my DD. What are you teaching your child about responsibility and living up to commitments if you ignore the fact that your DD is under contract with her current club until the end of June. If her current team is not playing in the tournament it is not a big deal, but if they are she has committed to play for them until the contract expires. Long after her soccer career is over she will need to survive in the real world with the ethics and values she learns from you.

I don't think this is a matter of teaching ethics. It is not like anyone is looking to just walk away from the team and leave their commitments. The goal is to work within the rules currently in place and come to an understanding on what is best for both parties. I would think a coach would want to focus their efforts on obtaining new players and eliminate the distraction of players looking to move on.

emergency brake
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by imabee 10/04/12, 01:19 pm

Bicycle Guru-NOT wrote:Have been through this with 2 boys in select and now my DD. What are you teaching your child about responsibility and living up to commitments if you ignore the fact that your DD is under contract with her current club until the end of June. If her current team is not playing in the tournament it is not a big deal, but if they are she has committed to play for them until the contract expires. Long after her soccer career is over she will need to survive in the real world with the ethics and values she learns from you.

There are many situations in the real world that are not black and white. Your commitment to your family always overrides commitments to others, even coaches and teammates.

imabee
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by nukem 10/04/12, 01:34 pm

imabee wrote:

There are many situations in the real world that are not black and white. Your commitment to your family always overrides commitments to others, even coaches and teammates.

Except for your dd, Bee. Her commitment is to her team first, then everything else cheers Or at least it better be Twisted Evil
nukem
nukem
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by imabee 10/04/12, 01:38 pm

nukem wrote:
imabee wrote:

Except for your dd, Bee. Her commitment is to her team first, then everything else cheers Or at least it better be Twisted Evil

You know it!!! Well except if there is a volleyball conflict. KIDDING! Laughing

imabee
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by TNT 10/04/12, 02:01 pm

I believe your not allowed to guest play in a tournament in which your current team is playing. Guest playing in other tournaments at this time of year should not be an issue, however it obviously is. This can be a sticky situation that can result in your DD being in an uncomfortable position with her current coach and fellow players, if your not careful you can also put a bad taste in the mouth of the coach you are pursuing. Makesure to think out your steps before taking them.

TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicycle Guru-NOT 10/04/12, 04:24 pm

emergency brake wrote:

I don't think this is a matter of teaching ethics. It is not like anyone is looking to just walk away from the team and leave their commitments. The goal is to work within the rules currently in place and come to an understanding on what is best for both parties. I would think a coach would want to focus their efforts on obtaining new players and eliminate the distraction of players looking to move on.

Everything parents do and say regarding their children is a teaching moment. Man beats his wife, the statistics are overwhelming that the child will grow up and do the same. Child sees his parents abuse drugs or alcohol, again the stats are overwhelming the child will have the same issues. I know these are extreme examples but children learn life from the parents. If there are serious issues with the club or coach by all means leave. If however the player is just unhappy about playing time, style of play, etc... they take a bad lesson away from not living up to their commitment. Learned from my Grandfather, "finish what you start" and "at the end of the road all you have is your word".

Regarding rules, there is no rule that states you cannot guest with another team in the same tourney your current team is playing in. However, coaches will usually not sign the release. If serious issues exist with coach/club the player can go to NTSSA, present their case, and if strong enough NTSSA will sign the release.
Bicycle Guru-NOT
Bicycle Guru-NOT
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by coachr 10/04/12, 04:54 pm

Bicycle Guru-NOT wrote:
emergency brake wrote:

Everything parents do and say regarding their children is a teaching moment. Man beats his wife, the statistics are overwhelming that the child will grow up and do the same. Child sees his parents abuse drugs or alcohol, again the stats are overwhelming the child will have the same issues. I know these are extreme examples but children learn life from the parents. If there are serious issues with the club or coach by all means leave. If however the player is just unhappy about playing time, style of play, etc... they take a bad lesson away from not living up to their commitment. Learned from my Grandfather, "finish what you start" and "at the end of the road all you have is your word".

Regarding rules, there is no rule that states you cannot guest with another team in the same tourney your current team is playing in. However, coaches will usually not sign the release. If serious issues exist with coach/club the player can go to NTSSA, present their case, and if strong enough NTSSA will sign the release.
Your grandpa was probably wise for his time but the following words better suit these days:
The lord loves a working man.
Don't trust whitey.
See a doctor and get rid of it.
coachr
coachr
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by imabee 10/04/12, 05:02 pm

Shark has been jumped.

imabee
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by coachr 10/04/12, 06:19 pm

imabee wrote:Shark has been jumped.
Guest Player Releases after Spring Season 100903HappyDays1
coachr
coachr
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down