North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

What type of things would you look for when searching for a coach Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

What type of things would you look for when searching for a coach

Go down

What type of things would you look for when searching for a coach Empty What type of things would you look for when searching for a coach

Post by shoesnsocks 08/09/12, 07:51 am

I just wanted to see what we should look at when searching for a coach for our daughter. What would be the most important things we should consider. Thanks in advance, any input would greatly be appreaciated.

Is it the type of license they have?
Is it their communication with the team?
Is it their coaching style?

shoesnsocks
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

What type of things would you look for when searching for a coach Empty Re: What type of things would you look for when searching for a coach

Post by Guest 08/09/12, 07:54 am

1. Does your DD connect with the coach
2. Focus of sessions for the age in question.

License is last on the list if even on the list. I know some A licensed that ain't worth the paper its printed on, and an E licensed that can hang with any of them.

Back to top Go down

What type of things would you look for when searching for a coach Empty Re: What type of things would you look for when searching for a coach

Post by #9156 08/09/12, 08:06 am

Good integrity.
Knowledge of the game.
Ability to challenge, inspire, motivate, and encourage players!
Support and guide players.
Make a positive difference in his/her life.
Feel pride the PLAYERS' accomplishments
Willing to obtain more knowledge.

TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 08/09/12, 08:45 am

If you can, sneak up behind the coaches' sideline and watch them. See how the coach interacts with the players. The coach will be an influential figure for your daughter and you should know the type of person the coach is when parents are outside of earshot.

In particular, see how the coach balances playtime. See how the coach approaches a player that made a mistake. See how the coach reacts when they are losing a game.

If you’re on the parents’ sideline, watching from across the field, you really don't know how the coach is managing the kids. It's hard to pay attention to which kids are being subbed and which are glued to the end of the bench for all but 5 minutes.

For the last one, seeing how they react when they’re losing a game... all coaches are fantastic people to the children when they're winning by a couple goals. It's all sunshine, sugar, and gumdrops when you’re winning. But when the coach’s team is losing by a goal or two, you may be looking at a different coach entirely. That is when a coach shows their true colors.

Also... Watch for unnecessary touching.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by travelin light 08/09/12, 09:50 pm

1. Does your coach motivate your daughter to want to become a better player?
2. Does your coach allow the girls to have fun, or is it all work, work, work?
3. Does your coach react to adversity in a positive manner, such as losing a close match or when players make mistakes?
4. Does your daughter feel comfortable and like your coach?
5. Does your coach have good knowledge and passion for the game?
6. Does your coach treat the parents with respect such as providing honest feedback and replying to emails or phone calls?

If you can anwser yes to these questions, that is a great place to start. There are lots of coaches that might have the "certification and pedigree", but have no clue on how to be a good role model and teacher. Good coaches, especially for players at young ages, can be major influences in not only kids' soccer development, but they can be teachers of valuable life lessons as well. Many coaches feel pressure to win, mostly from the parents. IMO, at this age, winning is not near as important as learning the fundamentals of the game. If you think you are with the wrong coach, trust your instincts...
travelin light
travelin light
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 09/09/12, 09:19 am

(1) What is the coach's win/loss record? If he (or she) is any good, his teams should win most of their games. If he talks about "development" more than "winning"... Run!

(2) In what division does he coach? Anything below LH D2 and you're probably looking at someone who offers sub-par training. The very best coaches offer separate skills training for $40-$50 an hour in addition to what they already make for training you daughter's team.

(3) Does he work for one of the "top 5" clubs? Beware otherwise. You get what you pay for. Anything less than around $2300 a year and there's just no way it can be worthwhile.

(4) Does he have a foreign accent? Good. Is he faking a foreign accent? Bad.

(5) Does the coach scream and berate the players? A good coach knows how to get 100% effort at all times and will utilize the methodology necessary. Watch out for the quiet types.

(6) Did he play professionally? MLS is loaded with lousy players who somehow go on to become "excellent" coaches. If the guy didn't at least play at a D1 college and currently hold a B license, look elsewhere.

(7) Does he allow the parents to scream at players and officials from the sideline? Are the parents ever featured in YouTube videos for fighting? Good coaches pick passionate players AND parents.

(8 ) Does the coach communicate regularly with the parents? Good coaches avoid this. They simply don't have the time.

(9) Does the coach primarily play his top 11 in games? That's a plus. It's a subtle punishment of his bench players for not being better and is very motivational for girls.

(10) And finally, does the coach's name regularly come up on this forum in negative discussions? All the better. It's best to follow the lead of parents on here who subject their daughters to regular mistreatment by the coach. They realize the ends justifies the means.

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Timer 09/09/12, 10:08 am

shoesnsocks wrote:I just wanted to see what we should look at when searching for a coach for our daughter. What would be the most important things we should consider. Thanks in advance, any input would greatly be appreaciated.

Is it the type of license they have?
Is it their communication with the team?
Is it their coaching style?

Same thing you would look for in a teacher of any subject and it varies by age.

At the younger ages, can they teach them the skills and concepts that the kids will need to build on later? Can they demonstrate and make the learning enjoyable, if not fun. More important to be a teacher of skills and concepts and how to apply in game siuations than being a good game coach.

As they get a little older teaching them how to apply the skills and concepts sucessfully in game situations, self discipline and self awareness become more important. Teaching them how to be an sucessful player given their levelof skill, athleticism and soccer IQ to allow them to keep enjoying the game. Improving their understanding the game and being able to read situations and anticipate situations (see the game faster than others)becomes more important. Ability to provide in game adjustments to influence the outcome of the game.

At the older ages it is applying what has been learned, motivating, in game coaching and
preparing them for the next level if that is what they want.

Old Timer
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by IKnowMyABCs 10/09/12, 01:37 pm

Ha, ha, Xara, I get it.

Hmmm...first, there may be more than one "right coach" for you child. Supposedly Academy encourages this Smile Even if you pick a coach and are happy with him/her it is nice to go to clinics, skills sessions, 3v3 or somewhere they can be exposed to other coaches with different ideas.

I agree with watching a coach during a game, especially during a loss. Although many coaches can get heated up during a game and still be a good coach for your kid. If you can watch SEVERAL practices that can help too. Often, a prospective coach knows you are there for a "visit" and may be on their best behavior but several practices should show you more. Also, ask anyone and everyone you know about the coach. Network like crazy to find people who know the coach or know someone who does. Of course, not everything you hear may be true or unbiased but it is still info to put in your decision "bank". Continue to "network" even if you think you've found the right coach--coaches change, teams change, and you never know when you may be looking again.

Also, I go watch a couple games and what I specifically look for is whether most of the players have good individual skills. I'm not talking about the "one speedy fast flashy forward" I'm talking about all the players. Do they pass, do they receive well, how is their touch, do they control the ball well, do all the players play or is the goal just to get the ball to the one "speedy forward". To me, this is the number one thing--if you see that all the players are obviously being taught good technical skills then you likely have a good coach behind it.

Last, you just have to try one out. Again, it's academy, so the THEORY is that it's okay to try different coaches, even each new season, to find the right fit.

IKnowMyABCs
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Busby Babes 10/09/12, 02:40 pm

If he models his tactical style after Stuart Pearce, John Peacock, or Noel Blake...run like hell...lol
Busby Babes
Busby Babes
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 10/09/12, 03:07 pm

What type of things would you look for when searching for a coach C3PO
Blank77
Blank77
Original Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DrSoccer 10/09/12, 04:46 pm

xara- Very Happy
DrSoccer
DrSoccer
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by KSD 11/09/12, 08:58 am

My two cents.

At a young "Academy" age I think the coaches ability to verbally (email doesn't count) communicate with both players and parents is extremely critical. This may also be true for Select ages... but I have no experience there (yet) so cannot speak to it.

Next, the coaches dedication to the team is very important. I'd ask parents (not the coach) how many practices have been cancelled (except for weather) over the last 3 months. If greater than 3... I'd run for the hills.

I also think it's important for coaches to seek out the best competition for their teams. Some coaches hate to scrimmage other teams and also hide their teams from tournaments since they fear losing. So that's another question for the parents on the team... how many scrimmages/tournaments has the full team participated in over the last 6 months?

And I'd also find out the thinking that went into choosing the league the team plays in. Some coaches seem to love to rack up wins against weaker competition since everyone (except the other team) smiles after a 10-0 beat down, right?

And, finally, as previous posters have covered quite well... the coach should obviously have some good soccer experience and background. But, really, just about every Academy coach in the area seems to have this covered to some extent which is why the things I mention above are what's most important to me. Of course, you will need to seek out the best "style" of coaching for your DD since some coaches like to spend hours on footskills while others teach tactics while others teach both. You will need to find the style that works best for you and your daughter. As for me and my DD... we prefer a nice balance.

Oh, man I almost forgot, for 04s and below... if they don't have an awesome team cheer (yelling club name doesn't count)... get out of there. You MUST have an awesome team cheer! cheers cheers cheers

KSD
KSD
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by coachr 11/09/12, 11:15 am

I like coaches with black trucks
coachr
coachr
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 11/09/12, 11:36 am

coachr wrote:I like coaches with black trucks

With shaved legs?
Blank77
Blank77

Back to top Go down

Post by coachr 11/09/12, 05:41 pm

Blank77 wrote:

With shaved legs?
Mmmmmmmm sounds good to me!
coachr
coachr
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by the7wolf 11/09/12, 05:42 pm

coachr wrote:
Blank77 wrote:

With shaved legs?

And/or paws?

TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

http://www.thewolfandtheshepherd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by coachr 11/09/12, 07:00 pm

wolf2.0 wrote:
coachr wrote:
Blank77 wrote:

With shaved legs?

And/or paws?
Wolf or cat?
coachr
coachr
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by the7wolf 11/09/12, 08:03 pm

coachr wrote:
wolf2.0 wrote:
coachr wrote:
Blank77 wrote:

With shaved legs?

And/or paws?
Wolf or cat?

Cat paws are only good for making cookies and shifting kitty-litter.

TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

http://www.thewolfandtheshepherd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down