North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

What's the biggest surprise for you? Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

What's the biggest surprise for you?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What's the biggest surprise for you? Empty What's the biggest surprise for you?

Post by hombre 21/10/12, 07:30 am

Fall season of select is almost done and dusted. What surprised you about the fall season? Any particular team or teams? Anything about officiating? Play time? Coaches? All observations are welcome.
hombre
hombre
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

What's the biggest surprise for you? Empty Re: What's the biggest surprise for you?

Post by bigtex75081 21/10/12, 08:51 am

Biggest surprise for me... NTSSA announced that because of an increasing demand for releases that there would be a new fee to process them. Their reason was because the current staff couldn't keep up with the volume of releases being requested.

Least surprising to me... They increased fees to make us pay for the releases but no other action was taken, like to research WHY that demand keeps going up.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

What's the biggest surprise for you? Empty Re: What's the biggest surprise for you?

Post by Lifeonthepitch 21/10/12, 05:18 pm

It's always great to see the teams who struggled early on start to make their move.

There will be D1 surprises. Shocked

Lifeonthepitch
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Joan Of Arc 21/10/12, 06:07 pm

Solar Red has to be the biggest surprise so far. Draw with Dynasty. Loss to Feet and Gio. 9th place right now. That team went through a stretch with Webb where they never lost. I know their forward has been out but giving up goals to Gio and Feet just seems surprising. Maybe this is not the same team Webb had. Still lots of soccer to play.
Joan Of Arc
Joan Of Arc
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by scoregazam 21/10/12, 06:54 pm

Good and Bad Suprises:

#1 Good Surprise....... FC Dallas South. Granted they have only played 2 of what I consider to be the top 7, they have surprised against teams that I personally thought they would have struggled with. They have been consistent week in and week out, which I bet any parent or coach can say is a challenge in itself at this age. Their one loss coming to Fever and a good win against Sting Rez. They have only allowed 2 goals thus far.

#2 Bad Surprise........ Waco Blast. No consistency at all. I have seen them play quite a bit this year. At times they look to be a D1 team and at times they look to be be barely hanging on to a D2 spot. They do have some talented girls but lack the ability to possess the ball.

#3 Bad Surprise........ Dyansty FC. Can anyone on this team score?????? They create quite a few chances but dont have anyone to finsh. The two games I watched this season they outplayed the team but couldnt get the result due to not having any strikers. Although looking at their results they have already played the top 3 and 5 of the top 10. Maybe their road gets a little easier

#4 Good Surprise...... Solar Gio. I wasnt a big believer, but I stand corrected. One bad result for you girls IMO. If you could only have the Sting Dunston game back....... Great work to those girls and the coach. Keep it up! Still have to play the top 3 of the top 4.

#5 Bad Surprise....... Solar Red....... WTH? Even their wins havent been that impressive. I mean no disrespect the following teams; Dynasty, Cosmos, and Defeeters, because yall obviously played Colvins team very well, (especially Dynasty) but in my opinion there is way too much talent on that team to be scraping by. I expect them to have a turn around in the second half. If not maybe they are not what we thought they were.
scoregazam
scoregazam
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Urajoke 21/10/12, 09:16 pm

scoregazam wrote:Good and Bad Suprises:

#1 Good Surprise....... FC Dallas South. Granted they have only played 2 of what I consider to be the top 7, they have surprised against teams that I personally thought they would have struggled with. They have been consistent week in and week out, which I bet any parent or coach can say is a challenge in itself at this age. Their one loss coming to Fever and a good win against Sting Rez. They have only allowed 2 goals thus far.

#2 Bad Surprise........ Waco Blast. No consistency at all. I have seen them play quite a bit this year. At times they look to be a D1 team and at times they look to be be barely hanging on to a D2 spot. They do have some talented girls but lack the ability to possess the ball.

#3 Bad Surprise........ Dyansty FC. Can anyone on this team score?????? They create quite a few chances but dont have anyone to finsh. The two games I watched this season they outplayed the team but couldnt get the result due to not having any strikers. Although looking at their results they have already played the top 3 and 5 of the top 10. Maybe their road gets a little easier

#4 Good Surprise...... Solar Gio. I wasnt a big believer, but I stand corrected. One bad result for you girls IMO. If you could only have the Sting Dunston game back....... Great work to those girls and the coach. Keep it up! Still have to play the top 3 of the top 4.

#5 Bad Surprise....... Solar Red....... WTH? Even their wins havent been that impressive. I mean no disrespect the following teams; Dynasty, Cosmos, and Defeeters, because yall obviously played Colvins team very well, (especially Dynasty) but in my opinion there is way too much talent on that team to be scraping by. I expect them to have a turn around in the second half. If not maybe they are not what we thought they were.

Yawn.

Urajoke
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by hombre 22/10/12, 06:04 am

bigtex75081 wrote:Biggest surprise for me... NTSSA announced that because of an increasing demand for releases that there would be a new fee to process them. Their reason was because the current staff couldn't keep up with the volume of releases being requested.

Least surprising to me... They increased fees to make us pay for the releases but no other action was taken, like to research WHY that demand keeps going up.

Are these released girls getting back into girls classic league or do they gotta go play rec for the rest of the time until June? Why are most of them wanting out?
hombre
hombre
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22/10/12, 10:48 am

hombre wrote:
bigtex75081 wrote:Biggest surprise for me... NTSSA announced that because of an increasing demand for releases that there would be a new fee to process them. Their reason was because the current staff couldn't keep up with the volume of releases being requested.

Are these released girls getting back into girls classic league or do they gotta go play rec for the rest of the time until June? Why are most of them wanting out?

Went through QT with a team, made D1, but wasn't happy. Asked and received release. We don't regret leaving LH. DD went to Arlington and is having a blast and gaining lots of confidence. I don't think she'd still be playing soccer next year if we'd stayed. Her enjoyment of the game is now back full force...most important thing at U11 I think. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Lifeonthepitch 22/10/12, 12:55 pm

I suspect that most girls leaving teams early on, especially a D1 team, are doing so because they are sitting the bench more than their parents can handle.

I'm not sure this is a problem LHGCL or NTSSA can fix.

Lifeonthepitch
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDDRedux 22/10/12, 01:16 pm

This was a pretty big surpriseWhat's the biggest surprise for you? GROSS
DoubleDDRedux
DoubleDDRedux
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22/10/12, 02:17 pm

Lifeonthepitch wrote:I suspect that most girls leaving teams early on, especially a D1 team, are doing so because they are sitting the bench more than their parents can handle.

I'm not sure this is a problem LHGCL or NTSSA can fix.

Not necessarily. My dd wasn't up to the pressure/stress and intensity put on her. She plays for the fun of it and if it isn't fun...she didn't care to do it. She doesn't have that drive to be the best of the best...just wants to go out there and do her thing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Whoseurdaddy 22/10/12, 09:14 pm

Urajoke wrote:

Yawn.

You tired?

Whoseurdaddy
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Urajoke 23/10/12, 09:24 am

Whoseurdaddy wrote:
Urajoke wrote:

Yawn.

You tired?

Yes got a nap and ready to read something more thought provoking than what is above. What you got whoseurdaddy? I know you have something eye opening.

Urajoke
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by pitchafit 23/10/12, 11:19 am

I'm kind of surprised at the perception of what parents thought LH was going to be..
'For the Fun of it..not happy... we changed teams even though we made a commitment..'
I know everyone has to have their child's best interest driving them but your child may have taken someone else's spot who understood what it took to compete at this level....
They should finish out the season- happy or not, network with other teams, take some time to find another fit...I think both parents and players will be happy at the end...
pitchafit
pitchafit
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 23/10/12, 01:44 pm

pitchafit wrote:I'm kind of surprised at the perception of what parents thought LH was going to be..
'For the Fun of it..not happy... we changed teams even though we made a commitment..'
I know everyone has to have their child's best interest driving them but your child may have taken someone else's spot who understood what it took to compete at this level....
They should finish out the season- happy or not, network with other teams, take some time to find another fit...I think both parents and players will be happy at the end...

At the risk of my daughter quitting soccer? I don't think so. She's been doing this since she was 3...that is commitment. If you want to be self righteous...go ahead. You never know how you will react to your daughter crying & begging you to let her skip practice until you it happens to you Wink I'm a customer of select soccer, not a slave. We weren't happy, we paid what we owed and got a release.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 23/10/12, 01:54 pm

[quote="02ddsoccerfan"]
pitchafit wrote:I'm kind of surprised at the perception of what parents thought LH was going to be..

At the risk of my daughter quitting soccer? I don't think so. She's been doing this since she was 3...that is commitment. If you want to be self righteous...go ahead. You never know how you will react to your daughter crying & begging you to let her skip practice until you it happens to you Wink I'm a customer of select soccer, not a slave. We weren't happy, we paid what we owed and got a release. [/quot

Well done, these clubs are businesses. You owe them nothing. I do what's best for your kid and don't look back. Would you eat a meal that tastes terrible just because you made a commitment to the server by sitting in a booth?

Back to top Go down

Post by pitchafit 23/10/12, 02:28 pm

Not being self-righteous at all..
I said I KNOW EVERYONE HAS TO HAVE THEIR CHILD'S BEST INTEREST AT HEART... I understand that, HOWEVER...if your child was crying and begging to let her skip practice then why did you continue??
The child doesn't just become unhappy AFTER they get into LH...There's a build up...unfor some parents are just more excited to say that their kid made it in instead of making changes before it got to this point..
Silent parent- Being a SLAVE? little dramatic there.. you had a contract, you knew the expectations...you shop around BEFORE try-outs not after all the dust is settled then decide 'whaaa i don't like it here'... IMO

pitchafit
pitchafit
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 23/10/12, 02:48 pm

Silent parent- Being a SLAVE? little dramatic there.. you had a contract, you knew the expectations...you shop around BEFORE try-outs not after all the dust is settled then decide 'whaaa i don't like it here'... IMO

not my words, but i agree. I laugh at people who think they have a commitment to keep with a business that won't give a second thought to honoring theirs. clubs taking 18 kids and knowing that its physically impossible to give adequate playing time to that number, contracts that favor clubs and leave little power to parents besides "tough it out" You should do whatever is best for your kid, the club, the team the business will survive. Your kid depends on you to watch out for her interests, the club is watching out for its interest 24/7.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Referee 23/10/12, 04:15 pm

Yep. That does sound like an unhappy parent who wants her kid to be the star and couldn't quite make it. Always blame the kid. But the parent is always the problem. The kid is used to hard training and the parent demands more. Oops! let's blame te coach. Any lame excuse to get out and save face. Poor kid, everytime she tries something new and fails, helicopter mom and dad can save the day and make up a silly excuse.
Maybe quitting the sport might be a good thing for her and find something else where she's better at. Look at the top of this board. It says SELECT SOCCER. Obviously she was good enough at some point to make it. Commitment is the key here. As in staying put and toughing it out. This is not an end of the year diet thing, or a gym membership when one can just say I don't want this anymore. Boo hoo!

Referee
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by the7wolf 23/10/12, 04:24 pm

The Phantom Menace.

Absolute crap.

TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

http://www.thewolfandtheshepherd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 23/10/12, 04:31 pm

Yes it may be called Select soccer but it is still a bunch of 10 year olds playing a GAME. The contract is to assure the business get its money. Period. As far as taking the spot of another kid that now does not get a chance? Really? "Well we did not really want to pick you , but since this other girl is not going to play I guess we will put you on the team" Yeah, some 10 year missed the opportunity of a lifetime there!

my2cents
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Referee 23/10/12, 04:41 pm

Take her to the local Y. She'll be very happy there. Will you?

The biggest surprise for me is that the parents have to pay for the coaches hotel and all expenses on out of town tourneys. As if we didn't pay enough already. I imagine the coach at home and the wife says "Honey, I want to go to Phoenix" Sure! Let me hit my 01's and tell them we need to go to a tournament there. Then on top of it all parents are being asked to donate during the month of October. What a $ maker for the clubs.

Referee
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by pitchafit 23/10/12, 04:53 pm

my2cents wrote:Yes it may be called Select soccer but it is still a bunch of 10 year olds playing a GAME. The contract is to assure the business get its money. Period. As far as taking the spot of another kid that now does not get a chance? Really? "Well we did not really want to pick you , but since this other girl is not going to play I guess we will put you on the team" Yeah, some 10 year missed the opportunity of a lifetime there!

Maybe you don't quite understand how this works..... and maybe things have changed since my college player was in select...YOu as a parent did your homework, you tried out for a team, you STAYED with the team regardless of your playing time (that was not promised)... the coach didn't have kids backing out then have to go look for other players to fill rosters,then jack up fees for the rest of the parents (tournament fees) because there are less players on the roster.. Maybe our contract was different too.. our contract wasn't just about money, it spoke of sportsmanship, expectations of coach, player and parents...no big surprises.. Play rec soccer!
pitchafit
pitchafit
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ballhead 23/10/12, 04:54 pm

Referee wrote: Take her to the local Y. She'll be very happy there. Will you?

The biggest surprise for me is that the parents have to pay for the coaches hotel and all expenses on out of town tourneys. As if we didn't pay enough already. I imagine the coach at home and the wife says "Honey, I want to go to Phoenix" Sure! Let me hit my 01's and tell them we need to go to a tournament there. Then on top of it all parents are being asked to donate during the month of October. What a $ maker for the clubs.

Do you think the coach should pick up his/her own travel expenses out of their 12-18k (or whatever) salary?

My guess is you're going to pay for it one way or another, either as coach travel expenses, or as increased salary to allow them to be able to pay for it, but I don't think most coaches make enough to actually eat their own expenses.

On our team these expenses are estimated and budgeted by the team and paid out to the coach at the end of the travel when receipts are turned in. The club never sees a penny of it.

I don't know anything about October donations, so I really can't say anything about that.

Last edited by ballhead on 23/10/12, 05:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarification)
ballhead
ballhead
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner9 23/10/12, 05:01 pm

We've been with 5 different clubs and we always paid the coach's expenses. Typically, the mgr purchased all the airline tickets, hotel rooms, vans, etc. and then split it evenly among the players. It wasn't a source of income for the coach or the club.
Gunner9
Gunner9
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum