North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

$ question Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

$ question

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

$ question Empty $ question

Post by Goingforbroke 08/02/13, 05:15 pm

My DD plays for a top 10 team. She's no superstar but is a solid starter.
We signed a contract and plan to honor it through the whole cycle. We knew this was going to be a big expense but it has become more than we though it'd be. What are our options after the first year. We just flat can't afford it after this. I'd like for her to stay put but the $ issue is making it very difficult with travels out of town and what not. I applied for financial help through the club but was promptly rejected. Was told I could work as volunteer for some deduction, but the pay is like $6 per volunteer hour.
Are there any other options? Are there any clubs that can assist on this? Can they help with a percentage at all? I know this issue is kind of taboo in here, but I honestly find it very expensive and need some good tips. Thanks.

Goingforbroke
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

$ question Empty Re: $ question

Post by Its Me 08/02/13, 06:20 pm

Unfortunately, a lot of parents are in the same situation.
- You can find a cheaper team
- Arlington/Plano team that participate in more local tournaments.
- Work some of the more profitable venues.
- I referee for additional monies. You'll average $15 p/hr on lower level games. The U16-U19 games you'll avg $40-$50 p/games (70-90 mins) However, you'll have to deal with parents.

Its true that select is expensive but I would guess that 60% of the parents are in you situation.
Its Me
Its Me
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by lovesoccer 08/02/13, 06:53 pm

It would be interesting to see what each club cost for select. I know some coaches add to the top of the club fees for add'l expenses (extra tourneys, out of town cost, indoor fees, etc...).

lovesoccer
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by DDPlays4Snacks 08/02/13, 08:06 pm

Find a team that doesn't travel. Personally, I think traveling out of state at this age is pretty wasteful, when "supposedly" NTX has all the talent in the world right here. Sure traveling is fun, but there are teams out there that don't look at it as a necessity.

go to an independent team/club

be up front with Coach and then Manager, that you are limited on the "add ons" that comes with Select Soccer: Futsal, Skill Sessions, 4v4 and 3v3 tourneys.

Start your own team, call it "Kick'n It", charge everyone else an arm n leg.

Rob a bank

Ask President Obama to provide SocCare monies to all the non-rich people so everyone can play because it is our right darn it, ( don't forget to get the free cell phone bonus package too)

I hope some of my ideas above will be helpful. If not, play rec, enjoy life, and laugh at all of us on your way to the bank.

DDPlays4Snacks
DDPlays4Snacks
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Goingforbroke 08/02/13, 09:39 pm

They all sound pretty darn good. The funny thing is that she never participates in futsal and 4v4 and all that and yet I don't see any difference between her and the ones that do as far as talent goes. I'm going to try real hard to talk her into a cheaper sport. Not going to change a thing but I'll give it a try. Anybody interested in buying a 3 year old kid to cover the her expenses?

Goingforbroke
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 09/02/13, 08:14 am

Far be it from me to ever open a can of worms in regard to a subject, but I can tell Broke the secret that only a few have figured out to playing select soccer for free (or next to nothing). Actually, more than a few are aware of the procedure but would most assuredly deny engaging in it.

All you have to do is wait until the very end of June or even AFTER signing in July, and find a team that badly needs players. It's not hard since the team managers will be posting on here like mad looking to stabilize their rosters to at least 14 players. Then you PM those in need and explain your situation. Just be honest: "We have NO money for select soccer but our daughter loves the sport". The response will likely be not to worry about that for now but to please bring her out to the next practice. If your daughter is even decent at the sport, the negotiations will begin - usually with an offer to play at half price. Then it just depends on how badly the team wants her and your finesse to make the deal work out.

Might this be considered unethical? Sure, by those who have paid full price. But who cares? You're not twisting anyone's arm to get your daughter on the team. Just keep your mouth shut about the final agreement and be nice on the sidelines. Get to know the team manager and offer to help with things like cleanup after practices, team photography, tournament registration, etc. Your daughter's scholarship will likely be offered again the following year. If not, there will be other teams in similar need of players.

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 09/02/13, 08:42 am

how about this. If she likes the team and coach try just being honest with the coach. Explain your financiall situation to the coach. Not all are bad guys and he may be able to help by lowering you club fees. My sons team gave 2 kids a half scholorship. They weren't even top players on the team but it was the only way they could play. Coaches aren't all bad and many will do what they can. If yours won't then maybe you just have to find a good coach that will.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 09/02/13, 08:56 am

If the issue for your family is income…
Then I agree with @Its Me about refereeing games. It’s a great source for pocket cash. And, if you enjoy being outside running around in the sun on a soccer field with groups of good kids, it’s a lot of fun. I’d strongly recommend contacting your local Rec association to get your foot in the door with them.

If your goal is to find a new team and the cheapest possible price…
The advice that @Xara gave is the best I’ve read in a long time. You’ll have to be smart but this is excellent stuff. The only disadvantage here is that you need to go into the situation knowing (and your DD knowing) that “beggars can't be choosers”. Once that first offer appears, you better be willing to pounce on it immediately.

If your goal is to try to stay with the same team…
Your timing right now isn’t very good. Right now your club and coach have you in the middle of the contract and they’re in charge of you and they know it. You're in a bad spot to try to negotiate. I really think you need to wait. Wait a couple months and just collect information about families looking elsewhere.

The coach isn't thinking about July right now. Right now he's worried about the schedule of upcoming games and preparing for them.

I'd wait to have this conversation with your coach until about a month before this contract lapses. When the coach is going to be more readily concerned about next year’s roster. Wait until more of the families that the coach currently has have decided they need to leave as well.

When the time is right you should say, "We definitely want to stay here on this team, please know that. We love you and the team and we think this is great. We definitely want to stay loyal BUT right now these costs are killing us. We can’t stay. We have to find a cheaper club. We can’t miss mortgage payments because DD is on this squad.” Then shake his hand and walk away. All you did was plant the seed.

A couple days later the coach will want to speak again. During that conversation you say, “If we can get a 50% (or whatever) reduction in our dues then we'll stay. Otherwise we have to go."

If your DD is a solid started AND he's getting ready to lose a couple others, he'll be willing to compromise.

Last edited by bigtex75081 on 09/02/13, 09:34 am; edited 1 time in total
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by boilerjoe_96 09/02/13, 09:01 am

Goingforbroke wrote: They all sound pretty darn good. The funny thing is that she never participates in futsal and 4v4 and all that and yet I don't see any difference between her and the ones that do as far as talent goes. I'm going to try real hard to talk her into a cheaper sport. Not going to change a thing but I'll give it a try. Anybody interested in buying a 3 year old kid to cover the her expenses?

Boy or girl? Already have 4 girls.. so needs to be boy. Plus then I can frequent both soccer forums... Very Happy
boilerjoe_96
boilerjoe_96
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Goingforbroke 09/02/13, 12:16 pm

Boy. Thank you all very, very much. I now have a better idea about how to make my move come re signing time. I'd be willing to do anything as far as chores of any kind. All of them in exchange for a 20-30% break, preferably with the same team since she's been tere for many years. Thanks again.

Goingforbroke
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 09/02/13, 03:00 pm

start with the field marshal duties Evil or Very Mad If she has been there awhile I am sure the coach will work with you
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by dallasnorth 09/02/13, 04:50 pm

Where do you live? There's always a team that charge less.

dallasnorth
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Busby Babes 10/02/13, 02:05 am

Goingforbroke wrote: My DD plays for a top 10 team. She's no superstar but is a solid starter.
We signed a contract and plan to honor it through the whole cycle. We knew this was going to be a big expense but it has become more than we though it'd be. What are our options after the first year. We just flat can't afford it after this. I'd like for her to stay put but the $ issue is making it very difficult with travels out of town and what not. I applied for financial help through the club but was promptly rejected. Was told I could work as volunteer for some deduction, but the pay is like $6 per volunteer hour.
Are there any other options? Are there any clubs that can assist on this? Can they help with a percentage at all? I know this issue is kind of taboo in here, but I honestly find it very expensive and need some good tips. Thanks.

Sad story, but all too common in the US. Welcome to the number 1 reason why we are so far behind overall to places like England, Germany, The Netherlands, Italy, Spain, France, etc... We lose out on so many potentially great players way too early due to the fact that there is so much emphasis on playing select, and many parents cant afford to keep their excellent athlete in it..A money suck, with less emphasis on growth in the sport...
Busby Babes
Busby Babes
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by mommabear1 10/02/13, 09:14 am

I am sure if I was in the same situation, I'd be more sympathetic, but as a parent who has fully paid their club fees I feel a little differently about this situation. There are many options for less expensive clubs, or even not signing with a club at all. But for those that do sign, and pay, why should we foot the bill for another kid while our fully paid up kid sits the bench? Some of you say that the money aspect if what is ruining youth sports...isn't this a classic example of playing to win? If my kid is sitting and someone who doesn't pay their fees is playing...is my dd becoming a better player somehow? I don't think so. If you can't pay the fees, find somewhere cheaper. Only reason to be ok with this would be if all you cared about was being on a winning team. Let the Coach take the pay cut if he wants that player on the team that bad. Understand I am by no means well off, but I fully realized when signing up my kid for club soccer what the costs were.

I have no problem taking my kid to extra skills, or paying to have skills coaches come onsite even, but due to the extra $35 a month it would be, Coach won't do it because some of the other kids' parents don't want to or can't pay it. Sort of like buying a Jaguar and leaving it sitting in the garage because you can't afford to change the oil in it. Don't buy the Jaguar...buy a Honda. (I drive a Honda and love it).

Now a different scenario would be a long time team member whose family's financial situation may have changed...then I think the team needs to be aware and given a vote to pay for that player to continue with the team...I'm quite sure no one would have a problem helping them out.

Ok, beat me up if you will. JMO

Oh, before you say I'm heartless or money grubbing, you should know I am someone who would give most people the shirt off my back. I am very compassionate...however club soccer isn NOT a need for a child, it is a want for a parent. You need food, I'm there for you....however, it should be MY choice to help, not done in the underhanded scheming way suggested by the poster above with their "secret" to not paying for club soccer.

mommabear1
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/02/13, 09:38 am

"Underhanded scheming?" Gotta love it.

Notice I wrote that no one's arm was being twisted in the transactions I described. If a team needs a few players badly enough to scholarship them, that's their business. It's not about fairness. You want fairness... vote for the Democrats. We're talking coaches and parents trying to ascertain a team has enough players to make and and doing what is necessary.

So what's wrong with a parent getting the very best deal he can under my scenario? Select soccer is a business. If you pay $20,000 for your Honda, and I get the exact same car from the exact same dealership for $5000 less, should they refund the same amount to you? Or should you have been a better negotiator?

Back to top Go down

Post by mommabear1 10/02/13, 09:46 am

Xara wrote:"Underhanded scheming?" Gotta love it.

Notice I wrote that no one's arm was being twisted in the transactions I described. If a team needs a few players badly enough to scholarship them, that's their business. It's not about fairness. You want fairness... vote for the Democrats. We're talking coaches and parents trying to ascertain a team has enough players to make and and doing what is necessary.

So what's wrong with a parent getting the very best deal he can under my scenario? Select soccer is a business. If you pay $20,000 for your Honda, and I get the exact same car from the exact same dealership for $5000 less, should they refund the same amount to you? Or should you have been a better negotiator?

Point taken. I can see this as a necessary evil if a team is in danger of not making due to not enough players and the group agrees they want to do whatever it takes to stay together...their choice.

Don't expect me to give you a ride in my Honda when you can't afford to then gas up and maintain your discounted one.

mommabear1
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/02/13, 10:31 am

Not to worry. I'll have $5000 in the bank to gas it up for the next 4 years.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 10/02/13, 10:51 am

"A fool and his money are soon parted."

Why not negotiate the costs of the big-ticket items we buy? Would you buy a new home without trying to negotiate on the asking price? How about a new car, would you just pay the MSRP without pushing for a better deal? The price of jewelry is extremely easy to negotiate if you know how to do it. (Hint on that: Pay in cash.) Hell, we use coupons to negotiate the price of everyday goods and services.

Why wouldn't you question the cost of a $2,500 bill for a year of soccer? Especially if your DD makes that team noticeably better? Isn't your DD earning her keep by providing a valuable service to that coach and that team? By helping that team win games, isn’t she offsetting the discount by improving that team’s earning potential?

Negotiating isn't underhanded; it's being a smart consumer. If select soccer prices weren't out of control then finding angles for negotiations wouldn't be necessary but that's not where we're at. The ignorant parents in NTX, standing there with open checkbooks, have allowed these prices to get to the point of stupidity.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by mommabear1 10/02/13, 11:19 am

I didn't say to not negotiate...I guess I am not communicating my point well either...by all means, negotiate. But pay the damn bill when it comes and don't whine that you can't. And don't whine every time there is an additional $35 for something...club soccer is expensive, if you can't afford it don't play.

mommabear1
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Referee 10/02/13, 11:46 am

Momma. If you pay full price and somebody else is smarter than you , or smart enough to pay less, why not let them? Just because you didn't think of a better or cheaper way doesn't mean that everyone has to pay what you pay. Notice that Goingforbroke is honoring his/her agreement to the full cycle. They're asking for opinions and ideas to save some $ for next contract. They're not asking for your anger outbursts and telling others off. You come across as a hard ass with my way or no way thinking. Let them try.

Referee
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Goingforbroke 10/02/13, 11:51 am

Oh no, no, no. Mommabear I wouldn't want the other parents to pay for me. Don't want to have them pitch in. I'd rather take her out and find a cheaper club. I guess I was just trying to ask for opinions. Maybe see if the club can somehow help. Sorry for any wrong assumptions.

Goingforbroke
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by mommabear1 10/02/13, 11:53 am

Referee if you knew me at all, you'd know that isn't true. Guess I have a burr in my a$$ right now because of other people not paying their agreed on club fees. I'll get out of this conversation until I'm in a better frame of mind.

PS. Going for broke I wasn't upset or offended by your question at all. I didn't mean to seem as though I was angry at your question. I am frustrated by some folk's mentality of living beyond their means and getting other folks to make up the difference. I apologize if I've come across as a hard ass. I pay my bills, I'm on time, I do what I say I will and I simply expect others to do the same. Maybe I hijacked the thread and went off on a tangent.

Sorry.

Last edited by mommabear1 on 10/02/13, 12:29 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Can't type on my phone!)

mommabear1
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 10/02/13, 11:58 am

I don't think it's just the contract fees that make this so difficult on a lot of us. It's the nickles and dimes that eat away at good intentioned parents. $18 for a indoor card... Travel costs and the travel cost of the coach... Uniforms... Hey, let's add an extra tournament... Oops, Classic league now requires every team to play with a specific $250 game ball... Indoor practices that weren't included in your fees... gasoline... etc.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Nooneaskedmebut 10/02/13, 12:31 pm

You know I got to thinking. We paid for a fund for travel and meals for the girls and the coach. Then a few weeks later we were told that the budget was going to be short so they asked for another 250.00 each. I'm begining to think that this extra money was to pay for one of the parents that couldn't afford and we were all succkered in to it. Rats. They should ve told us up front. I wouldn't mind if the parent was always available to help with volunteering and such.

Nooneaskedmebut
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner9 10/02/13, 12:40 pm

We always had a detailed budget handed out to each family. Completely transparent. Any team/club unwilling to hand one out to you is suspect. Also prefer the team treasurer to be separate from the team manager.

Gunner9
Gunner9
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next