North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

why odd number of teams in d1? Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

why odd number of teams in d1?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

why odd number of teams in d1? Empty why odd number of teams in d1?

Post by Blank77 23/08/13, 09:21 pm

Why does d1 go to 9 teams? Less games for the top teams and a bye week? Doesnt make sense to me. Why not just swap the bottom 2 and top 2 and keep it at 10?

Is there an obvious answer I am missing?
Blank77
Blank77
Original Supporting Member
Original Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

why odd number of teams in d1? Empty Re: why odd number of teams in d1?

Post by intrinsic 23/08/13, 11:47 pm

I'm just guessing, but maybe the league thought they could not maintain a consistent standard of play with more than 9 teams (that is, the top teams would crush the teams at the bottom of the table).
However, with a lot of the strongest players now going to ECNL, and a lot more players involved select soccer, I don't think that is true any longer, at least not to the same extent. You could look at the variance in points earned and goal differential from top to bottom on D1 for U14 and older for the past 7 years and see if the gap is closing- but I'm too lazy to do that research.

intrinsic
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

http://www.BlazeSoccer.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweeper 24/08/13, 08:09 am

Blank77 wrote:Why does d1 go to 9 teams?  Less games for the top teams and a bye week?  Doesnt make sense to me.  Why not just swap the bottom 2 and top 2 and keep it at 10?

Is there an obvious answer I am missing?
I have wondered the same thing many times. Less league revenue too, but maybe profit stays the same with the bye week.  Anyhow, seems odd.
Sweeper
Sweeper
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe scafone 24/08/13, 08:37 am

9 teams 8 games?? Even play. Plus you have HS season and field availability. Probably a #s thing

Joe scafone
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Slakemoth 24/08/13, 08:41 am

The smaller number of teams began long before ECNL, I think it went back to the Premier League. The top teams of D1 were typically also doing Premier League, so I think it was an effort to clear out some available weekends for those games, and probably showcase tourneys too. For a while all of the divisions (D1-D3) went to less than ten teams. Then about 2 or 3 years ago they bumped all of them back up to 10. ( at least D2 and D3). Then the next year was when they tossed out the ECNL teams. The older a group got, the more "stuff" outside the LHGCL they had going on, ( High School ball, Tournaments), so maybe it was an effort to make it all work by having fewer league games.

I know thats not a definitive answer, but the truth probably lies in there somewhere.
Slakemoth
Slakemoth
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Slakemoth 24/08/13, 08:43 am

Slakemoth
Slakemoth
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner9 24/08/13, 09:29 am

Slakemoth wrote:The smaller number of teams began long before ECNL, I think it went back to the Premier League.
It actually predates Premier League. Before they had a D3 (and to a lesser degree D2), the # of teams was reduced by 2 every couple of years in an attempt to concentrate the talent to the top of the league. The final few years were played with 6 D1 teams and you played a combined schedule with the next age group.

The advent of PL and ECNL has changed all that.

TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigfoot 24/08/13, 07:06 pm

Combination of things including PL and HS.

As the girls get older there were less players and less teams, this has been going on before there was a 3rd division in LHGCL.

As girls got older the number of players became smaller to keep the level of play even (to some extent) they adjusted the number of teams in the top group.
Bigfoot
Bigfoot
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by berserker13 24/08/13, 11:33 pm

It seems to be less necessary with the current state of things, though. In U16 D1 with 8 teams, the difference between last 3rd place and last place was 2 games.
berserker13
berserker13
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Hook It 26/08/13, 10:49 pm

Maybe they are just lazy!!! NTX has such a deep pool of player, there is literally an endless numbers of players/ teams/ coaches to keep the 3 LH divisions full at 10 each.....

I think it stinks, especially when they go to 18 size rosters at u13, why not keep it at 16 with more teams, and more revenues for LH....

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”
-IWD4U
[/b][/i].
Hook It
Hook It
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 27/08/13, 08:41 pm

I would even like to see less league games playing each team once increasing the amount of time to compete more on the national level.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 27/08/13, 09:10 pm

BUNDESLIGA wrote:I would even like to see less league games playing each team once increasing the amount of time to compete more on the national level.
If we were in Kansas I'd agree with that. But given league competition here is strong as almost any tournament in the country, we'd be making top level soccer far more expensive at younger age groups...without much benefit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 27/08/13, 09:54 pm

Playing the same teams and same players for the last 4 years is getting old!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 27/08/13, 10:05 pm

LHGCL is a hack fest, where players are rewarded for your ability to mug other players.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hook It 27/08/13, 10:50 pm

BUNDESLIGA wrote:LHGCL is a hack fest, where players are rewarded for your ability to mug other players.
I do agree somewhat... and there are plenty of injuries to back that up... but what is the alternative at U13... next year ECNL should be better.

I can tell you that there is a big difference from D3 to D1... clearly the more skilled the team the less brut force plays that happen.

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”
-IWD4U
[/b][/i].
Hook It
Hook It
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Hook It 27/08/13, 10:51 pm

BUNDESLIGA wrote:Playing the same teams and same players for the last 4 years is getting old!
don't you all do any out of town tourneys? we do like 9 per year 6 out of town this year....

-IWD4U
[/b][/i].
Hook It
Hook It
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 28/08/13, 05:43 am

Hook It wrote:
BUNDESLIGA wrote:Playing the same teams and same players for the last 4 years is getting old!
don't you all do any out of town tourneys?  we do like 9 per year 6 out of town this year....
Yep, southern cal this weekend. That is going to be a hell of a tournament.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 28/08/13, 05:44 am

Hook It wrote:
don't you all do any out of town tourneys?  we do like 9 per year 6 out of town this year....

Traveling to Oklahoma just to play texas teams is not my idea of a good tournament.

Back to top Go down

why odd number of teams in d1? Empty BUNDESLIGA aka Hook it aka Total Soccer aka BLAH BLAH BLAH

Post by Serie A 28/08/13, 10:24 am

Tom- I was getting worried about you, after that debacle over at Sting your posts really slowed down. I really enjoy reading all your "info" and was really bored. I absolutely LOVE what you are doing with this new bit of carrying on a actual conversation with yourself with Hook it and BUNDESLIGA its AWESOME!!!!lol! 

I think it would be EPIC if you would start a new thread with all your aliases Hook it-BUNDESLIGA Bring Total Soccer and BLAH BLAH BLAH back from the dead and let them ALL go at it.

Some topics that would be humorous would be stalking AndroFan with your 4 MAIN aliases, EXPERT ANALYSIS of ECNL, EVERYTHING about ODP-especially things coaches tell your daughter during tryouts (just to help newbie's know what it takes), maybe throw in a little about how 18 girls is to many on a team, or just how awesome Sting is while incorporating all these topics.affraid affraid 

Serie A
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 28/08/13, 11:17 am

Serie A wrote:Tom- I was getting worried about you, after that debacle over at Sting your posts really slowed down. I really enjoy reading all your "info" and was really bored. I absolutely LOVE what you are doing with this new bit of carrying on a actual conversation with yourself with Hook it and BUNDESLIGA its AWESOME!!!!lol! 

I think it would be EPIC if you would start a new thread with all your aliases Hook it-BUNDESLIGA  Bring Total Soccer and BLAH BLAH BLAH back from the dead and let them ALL go at it.

Some topics that would be humorous would be stalking AndroFan with your 4 MAIN aliases,  EXPERT ANALYSIS of  ECNL, EVERYTHING about ODP-especially things coaches tell your daughter during tryouts (just to help newbie's know what it takes), maybe throw in a little about how 18 girls is to many on a team, or just how awesome Sting is while incorporating all these topics.affraid affraid 

I always thought me-obsessed and Blah-Blah-Blah were the same person. So Blah-Blah-Blah was also TOM! Dang Tom I bet you're never bored! Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 28/08/13, 11:59 am

I am not blah,blah, blah, nor am I hook it.cheers 

Back to top Go down

Post by SoccerNUT 28/08/13, 12:02 pm

4-3-3 wrote:
Serie A wrote:Tom- I was getting worried about you, after that debacle over at Sting your posts really slowed down. I really enjoy reading all your "info" and was really bored. I absolutely LOVE what you are doing with this new bit of carrying on a actual conversation with yourself with Hook it and BUNDESLIGA its AWESOME!!!!lol! 

I think it would be EPIC if you would start a new thread with all your aliases Hook it-BUNDESLIGA  Bring Total Soccer and BLAH BLAH BLAH back from the dead and let them ALL go at it.

Some topics that would be humorous would be stalking AndroFan with your 4 MAIN aliases,  EXPERT ANALYSIS of  ECNL, EVERYTHING about ODP-especially things coaches tell your daughter during tryouts (just to help newbie's know what it takes), maybe throw in a little about how 18 girls is to many on a team, or just how awesome Sting is while incorporating all these topics.affraid affraid 
I always thought me-obsessed and Blah-Blah-Blah were the same person. So Blah-Blah-Blah was also TOM!  Dang Tom I bet you're never bored! Laughing 
Let's not forget UEFA!  If any of you have the opportunity to stand within ear shot at the ODP Practices and listen to the Wisdom spewing out on the sidelines, please take it all in.  TotalSoccer, Blah-Blah-Blah, UEFA, Hook it, and BUNDESLIGA should have a soccer forum round table about nutrition, supplements, weight training, skills training and trainers, ODP, ECNL, Notre Dame Soccer, EPL, and how the MLS doesn't train properly.  cheers cheers  Maybe THE TICKET could have him on as a special guest expert in all things Futbol.lol!
SoccerNUT
SoccerNUT
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 28/08/13, 12:22 pm

4-3-3 wrote:

I always thought me-obsessed and Blah-Blah-Blah were the same person. So Blah-Blah-Blah was also TOM!  Dang Tom I bet you're never bored! Laughing 
Dammit!  Insulted once again! affraid

I actually have a confession..................I'm also mslater and "Pixie Trixie" is my stage name.........................afro lol! Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

why odd number of teams in d1? Empty UEFA

Post by Serie A 28/08/13, 12:46 pm

I had totally forgotten about UEFA!! Good luck in  S. California this weekend that will be a great tournament. Hopefully the weather will be great and y'all do well, always tough out there. I am envious but sure am glad I do not have to foot the bill for all Tom's luggage. Can you imagine how expensive it is to pack for all these multiple personalities? Do they each get their own suitcase or just jumbled together?cheers cheers cheers lol!

Serie A
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 28/08/13, 12:48 pm

me?obsessed? wrote:
4-3-3 wrote:

Dammit!  Insulted once again! affraid

I actually have a confession..................I'm also mslater and "Pixie Trixie" is my stage name.........................afro lol! Twisted Evil
No way meobsessed. Not going out like that. I'm confessing all my usernames through the years. Never tried to be anonymous and haven't had any conversations with myself...not yet anyway:

mslater, fourfourtwo, 4-4-2 diamond, 3-4-3, 4-3-3, Atomic Dog

Before this is done I will also be: RefMikeRedux, 4-2-3-1, 3-5-2, and 3-2-1-DaughterFinallyQuit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next