North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

College Exposure ?'s - wait or move on? Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

College Exposure ?'s - wait or move on?

Go down

College Exposure ?'s - wait or move on? Empty College Exposure ?'s - wait or move on?

Post by Justwatchin98 17/10/13, 09:45 am

Okay, just trying to get a grasp on all this college showcase for my daughter. It seems from all the rant that you pretty much don't have a chance in hell for your daughter to be seen by colleges if she isn't in ECNL. So, why all the showcases..why would LH teams play in showcases if they aren't going to get the attention for the girls?

What if she wants to play on a Div II team, does this impact her options because she isn't on ECNL?

What if your daughter isn't starting? They say the coaches are there for the first 15 or less minutes & if your daughter isn't in, then she isn't seen....is this true?

What if you know you are on the wrong team, your daughter isn't learning anything, level of play has dropped since she started playing on the team and you know the coach is working hard to get college exposure for other players but not you; do you wait until you find the right team next year to showcase on another team or do you get a release in December to find the right team?
Justwatchin98
Justwatchin98
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

College Exposure ?'s - wait or move on? Empty Re: College Exposure ?'s - wait or move on?

Post by Skip 17/10/13, 01:08 pm

Well I think we are in a similar situation and new to "the process". So Im in no way and expert and not an ECNL hater. If you have the means and that's what your DD wants than I believe it's a great opportunity. But, based on my research and the feedback I have gotten I don't believe it's the only way for your DD to get exposed and have opportunity to play in college. This our understanding and how we are going to approach it.

-My DD has to identify the schools (mulitple!) she is interested in. Academics first, then socccer, both have to be realistic for her abililty/desire
-MY DD has to contact the coaches, they don't want to hear from me. Try to build a relationship and make sure they know where they will be able to see her play
-Grades are just as important, without a high GPA and class rank options will be limited
-Not planning for a full ride, 25%+ and acamdemic scholaship are the goal
-Support from club and HS coach

At this point Big D1 is not a big part of the conversation, she doesn't wan to be in classes with 600+ other kids and doesn't want to fit school around soccer. Of course if A&M calls she will take the call. So D2/D3 will be her focus, even considering JCs if she can't decide on a major soon. She knows she wants to stay in the "region" and wants to continue playing at the next llevel. We believe there will be opportinuties for her with this mindset and hard work.

Hope this helps!

And we do have a positive attitude right now, woudl appreciate if people don't rain on our parade Wink 

Skip
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

College Exposure ?'s - wait or move on? Empty Re: College Exposure ?'s - wait or move on?

Post by ekkeeper1 17/10/13, 01:48 pm

It is possible to not be on an ECNL team and to play on a college team I know of a player who has never played ECNL who is going to play for a D1 program next year. Are they going to get the most exposure yes but coaches will still look at other players on different teams. Division II, Division III and even some NAIA programs play some very good soccer. Not all but some.

Example when I played there was no D3 Classic League. My team played in Arlington, but we competed well with the D2 teams and teams at the top of Plano. I played D2 college soccer. When I was being recruited I was mostly interested in a smaller school with a sports management option as a major. I had several D II, D III and NAIA as well as some JC look at me and offer me visits etc. NOw if you are trying to play big school D1 im going to go out on a limb and say that being ECNL is largely beneficial. Also your DD's coach knowing some of college coaches might also help. Also my suggestion depending on what year your daughter is start emailing coaches Now some contact from coach to players are limited in Fresh, Soph, and Junior years due to NCAA regulations. If you DD is a 98 im guessing she is a Soph? I would email any schools she is interested in within the region. Examples of some D 2 schools: Dallas Baptist, TExas A&M Commerce, West Texas A&M, Texas Womans University, among others. There are plenty of options. Communicate with those coaches send them daughters game schedules especially for Showcases.

I would suggest guest playing in showcases as long as DD's team not playing that a way she could maybe play on teams that are higher level.

ekkeeper1
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Justwatchin98 17/10/13, 03:54 pm

Great input thanks.  And this is definitely not a bashing of ECNL, I think its a great avenue especially for those looking at D1 colleges....I just don't want it turn out that she missed out on her school choice because we didn't go ECNL even though she is looking at smaller D2 or lower D1 colleges.  I think I fear that even the smaller D1 colleges prefer ECNL players over D1 LH players.

I think my main issue is her not showing well with her current team right now; not sure if waiting to find another team is the better option for her or if waiting will hurt her opportunities.
Justwatchin98
Justwatchin98
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Inky29 17/10/13, 09:14 pm

Playing in ECNL only gets you seen more easily by college coaches, however as every college coach will tell you, if you can play then you will be found.

So if you aren't in ECNL then I'd play in as many showcases as possible, be as proactive as possible.

Inky29
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty 17/10/13, 09:33 pm

Inky29 wrote:Playing in ECNL only gets you seen more easily by college coaches, however as every college coach will tell you, if you can play then you will be found.

So if you aren't in ECNL then I'd play in as many showcases as possible, be as proactive as possible.
Let me ask the obvious question?

I agree that if you are good enough you will most likely be found by a college coach of some kind and get some kind of offer.

The same holds true for ECNL.  If you are good enough the ECNL coaches will find you and you may even be able to play ECNL for much less than LHGCL, PPL, or APL.

Why go against the odds and make it more difficult than it has to be by not playing ECNL where you will get more exposure, likely more college options and $ if that is your goal?

Lefty
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by John Galt 18/10/13, 12:59 pm

My DD played in several showcase tournaments last year. She plays on a LHGCL Div 1 team. At the tournaments we attended their were plenty of coaches from Div 1 through Div 3 and Junior Colleges. There are 7 teams in LH Div 1. I believe that any girl on any of those teams can play in college if she wants to. Each of the Teams has a player or two who will commit to a D1 program familiar to most, i.e. Stephen F Austin, North Texas, Texas State. Those programs also will recruit and sign several ECNL players. The rest of the D1 players wil choose not to play or sign with schools like, Trinity, San Angelo State, UTD, St Edwards etc. These programs will also have several players who played ECNL. The top college D1 programs Texas Tech, Texas, Texas A&M are players for the most part who are among the top players on an ECNL team.

Hope this helps.
John Galt
John Galt
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Skip 18/10/13, 01:16 pm

I have a question about showcases. Is there any value in traveling accross the country to play showcases if your DD is staying in the region? Her team is talking about North Carolina, Las Vegas, Surf Cup, etc....

Skip
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by John Galt 18/10/13, 01:58 pm

Skip wrote:I have a question about showcases. Is there any value in traveling accross the country to play showcases if your DD is staying in the region? Her team is talking about North Carolina, Las Vegas, Surf Cup, etc....

Possibly here are the coaches that attended our games in San Diego last year.

Troy
Florida Gulf Coast
Stevens
Viola
Utah
TCU
Army
Northern Arizona
Northern Colorado
Cornell
South Dakota State
WACU
ULL
Dallas Baptist
Alabama State
Wyoming
University of Denver
UNLV
Idaho State
Marshall
Marquette
Central Arkansas
Auburn
Southern Utah
Northeastern - Boston
Davidson
University of New Mexico
Iowa State
Minnesota
University of Louisiana Lafayette
Wyoming
John Galt
John Galt
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down