North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

How to Fix Lake Highlands Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

How to Fix Lake Highlands

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How to Fix Lake Highlands Empty How to Fix Lake Highlands

Post by haterinho 27/10/14, 07:42 pm

With CPP dominating discussion last few weeks, figured I'd start a thread for ideas on how to fix the league.

First... has to be an admission that it is indeed broken. After U13, not much question LH is a shadow of what it could be and once was...and NO, I don't believe ALL of the blame can be given to ECNL taking 80+ players out of the league at u14.

a few thoughts:

1) LH as an entity needs to focus on quality. The website, marketing plan, communication, officiating, rules and administration, etc.

2) Cease and desist catering to the big clubs that will eventually form their own league anyway. Compete on quality - not catering. See #1. Go back to N+1 for keeping byes and figure out a way to enforce it.

3) Implement innovative league rules that foster player development:

a) 8v8/9v9 until U13. 11v11 doesn't start until U14. Disallow headers until u14.

b) Throw out all current assigners and referee administration and start over. Implement new culture of officiating quality. Make LH refs the highest paid refs and most frequently assessed refs in the city...raise the league fees if you have to do it.

c) Setup common sense player pass rules. Limit # of CPP for any one player to 3 games. Any more than that the coach needs to do a roster transfer. Only allow one division step down, d1 can't CPP to d3. Establish a graduated CPP model. U11 - U13 shouldn't need anymore than 1 CPP per game. U14 - 3 players, U15 - 4 players, U16 and up 5 players. This allows additional flexibility for older age groups that have far more injuries and showcase requirements.

4) GET RID OF THIS BOGUS LOOPHOLE ALLOWING ECNL TEAMS to KEEP BYES at U14.

The verdict is in - this is a sham and is essentially CPP on steroids. Coaches can now roster kids from day one to teams for which they had no intention of them playing. Stick them on an '00 roster, a different division...doesn't matter - anywhere that has space...we'll just cobble together something week to week for games and promise all the parents an ECNL patch. ECNL has a date conflict? These teams are showing up with drastically different rosters far beyond what could happen with just 3 CPP players. The idea of promotion / relegation and earned division placement make zero sense in this environment.

Repeat! Focus on quality (see #1) . Instead of introducing this chaos at U14 - HOST a NEW QT at U14 for all divisions.

Guarantee the top 5 in each division retains a bye into at least their existing division, but do a new QT and allow the other 14 spots across all three divisions to be EARNED at U14.

A drastically improved D3 team can jump straight to D1 where they belong. A bubble D1 team that would've been relegated but for ECNL has to EARN their right to stay in LH...see #1.  You cannot and should not copy ECNL. LH is what it is because the spots are earned through competition.

5) Establish a culture of transparency.
    a) publish the injury and card infraction data by club/coach/team
    b) allow teams to publish their individual player stats
    c) publish the club affiliations of every board member along with minutes and dates/times for key meetings

6) MARKET THE INDIVIDUAL PLAYERS. Feed the beast. If the ECNL/topdrawer cabal has taught us anything - it's that effective marketing of the individual is manna from heaven for the club soccer parent demographic.

Hopefully others have ideas and some of the good ones make it to fruition...this area has too many resources and too much talent to let LH continue this gradual slide.

haterinho
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

How to Fix Lake Highlands Empty Re: How to Fix Lake Highlands

Post by Guest 27/10/14, 08:18 pm

Very nice. I'm impressed with how well this is thought through and presented. Let me be the first to nominate you as LH reform Czar.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 27/10/14, 09:12 pm

How can one be elected for the board at LH?

Back to top Go down

Post by purezen 27/10/14, 09:17 pm

Borussia wrote:How can one be elected for the board at LH?

I think you have to be a Sting parent?! lol!
purezen
purezen
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 27/10/14, 09:19 pm

Last I had looked I was fairly sure the president was a Texans team manager.

Back to top Go down

Post by reccostx 27/10/14, 11:10 pm

Haterinto, excellent suggestions.

Glad to see a lot of favorable interest in eliminating the abusive practices being perpetrated by big clubs in the Lake Highlands Girls Classic League CPP rule.

To get the process rolling, I would think initiating a petition, supporting the reforms and submitting it to LH and NTXS to show the level of support behind the movement. I am sure nearly all, if not all independents would support and by the sounds of it, many from big clubs who are honest with themselves over the unfair competitive aspects of this rule and the effects it is having by violates the spirit of the game and ultimately hurting the kids.

Not sure how to start something like that but I saw one in my community and it used goggle docs

https://drive.google.com/previewtemplate?id=0As3tAuweYU9QcHlVM3hrY2tocEkxUWpNSmZNZ1hHWVE&mode=public&urp=https://www.google.com/url?sa%3Dt%26rct%3Dj%26q%3D%26esrc%3Ds%26so&pli=1&ddrp=1#

reccostx
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by legitsoccermom 28/10/14, 12:34 am

Excellent suggestions/changes and I would as well sign that as well..
legitsoccermom
legitsoccermom
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hooligan 28/10/14, 08:36 am

Just like coaches try to game the system with CPP, Big Club DOCs try to game the system by influencing the rules in their favor. All these boneheads want to get some sort of unfair advantage.
The big clubs try to use their size and aggressiveness to influence the rules. They push for CPP and stuff that really only benefits them, but when we demand stricter enforcement of the rules on the field, they run to "that's FIFA rules", or "the game has to remain pure". Where exactly do I find CPP in the FIFA LOTG?

LHGCL just needs to do what is right for the kids without allowing themselves to be influenced by the big club lobby - and I like some of the ideas the OP put up. If a big club or two balks at it...so what. Are they gonna start their own league? Even if 2 clubs went lock, stock and barrel into creating their own league, they would only have 4-5 teams per age group, the disparity between teams would be huge and it wouldn't last.
Hooligan
Hooligan
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 28/10/14, 09:01 am

If you want changes, this is the process according to the bylaws.  

D. Amendment. Proposed amendments to these Bylaws may be submitted to the Board of Directors by any Officer or any four (4) teams participating in the League. Written notice of any proposed amendments shall be submitted in writing to each Board member at least ten (10) days prior to the Board of Directors meeting at which the amendment(s) will be voted on. Amendments submitted by any teams must be signed by at least four (4) team coaches or managers representing four different teams participating in the League at the time the proposed amendment is submitted. A majority vote of the Board members present at a meeting at which a quorum is present is required to approve any amendment(s). Notice of the proposed amendment shall be valid if it contains only a general statement of the proposal, and such notice does not need to contain the entirety of such proposal.

Back to top Go down

Post by futbollove 28/10/14, 09:18 am

Hooligan wrote:Just like coaches try to game the system with CPP, Big Club DOCs try to game the system by influencing the rules in their favor.  All these boneheads want to get some sort of unfair advantage.  
The big clubs try to use their size and aggressiveness to influence the rules.  They push for CPP and stuff that really only benefits them, but when we demand stricter enforcement of the rules on the field, they run to "that's FIFA rules", or "the game has to remain pure".   Where exactly do I find CPP in the FIFA LOTG?

LHGCL just needs to do what is right for the kids without allowing themselves to be influenced by the big club lobby - and I like some of the ideas the OP put up.  If a big club or two balks at it...so what.  Are they gonna start their own league?  Even if 2 clubs went lock, stock and barrel into creating their own league, they would only have 4-5 teams per age group, the disparity between teams would be huge and it wouldn't last.
If 2 of the Big Clubs started their own league, they would all go. Along with 85% of the talent and parents. Is that the LH league you want to be apart of?
The fact is the Big 4 make LH. And while the board shouldn't cave in to every wish of the B4, they do have to work with them in order to keep their league relevant and operational.
futbollove
futbollove
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 28/10/14, 09:37 am

I'm surprised that there isn't a bidding process where multiple leagues, under the NTSSA, COMPETE to host the Girl's Classic League.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 28/10/14, 09:46 am

Good luck with all of this.

You do realize that the following 8 clubs constitute 68% of the teams in LHGCL (138 out of 202 teams), right?

Andromeda
Dallas Texans
D'Feeters
FC Dallas
Liverpool
Solar
Sting
Texas Spirit

Any guess which customers LHGCL is going to work hardest to satisfy?

If push came to shove, and LHGCL had to make a choice between hosting a league that was exclusive to only the above 8 clubs, or a league that had every club in NTX EXCEPT these 8 clubs, which way do you really think it is going to go?

LHGCL needs the big clubs to have any hope of staying relevant, so they are going to cater to them. The big clubs want LHGCL to survive because they don't want the hassle of having to create, and then administer, their own separate league (unless ECNL wants to step in as an organization and help out). As long as LHGCL does enough to appease the big clubs, they will stick around, and as long as LHGCL keeps their doors open to "the little guys", there will always be clubs/team willing to put up with a deck that is somewhat stacked against them for the opportunity to play against stronger competition.

So as good as Hatas ideas are, and as vocal as everyone wants to be about CPP, outside of some modifications to the CPP rule in the next year or two, don't expect much to change (unless you are fond of jousting with windmills).

Back to top Go down

Post by tmcc 28/10/14, 09:48 am

25 or so of the 72 teams in LH D1 are not FCD, Texans, Solar, Sting or Feet. I don't have the energy to figure out D2 or D3. But I would guess that the independent clubs out number the big 4/5, in D2 and D3. If those 25 teams clubs, plus others, would figure out how to unite as one club.....well, you figure it out. Dangerous.

Last edited by tmcc on 28/10/14, 09:52 am; edited 1 time in total
tmcc
tmcc
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Location : Sometimes, when you mess with the bull, you get the horns!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 28/10/14, 09:50 am

bwgophers wrote:Good luck with all of this.

You do realize that the following 8 clubs constitute 68% of the teams in LHGCL (138 out of 202 teams), right?

Andromeda
Dallas Texans
D'Feeters
FC Dallas
Liverpool
Solar
Sting
Texas Spirit

If push came to shove, and LHGCL had to make a choice between hosting a league that was exclusive to only the above 8 clubs, or a league that had every club in NTX EXCEPT these 8 clubs, which way do you really think it is going to go?

LHGCL needs the big clubs to have any hope of staying relevant, so they are going to cater to them.  The big clubs want LHGCL to survive because they don't want the hassle of having to create, and then administer, their own separate league (unless ECNL wants to step in as an organization and help out).  As long as LHGCL does enough to appease the big clubs, they will stick around, and as long as LHGCL keeps their doors open to "the little guys", there will always be clubs/team willing to put up with a deck that is somewhat stacked against them for the opportunity to play against stronger competition.

So as good as Hatas ideas are, and as vocal as everyone wants to be about CPP, outside of some modifications to the CPP rule in the next year or two, don't expect much to change (unless you are fond of jousting with windmills).
BW, do the big clubs, that are not ECNL, consider themselves to be a part of the group?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 28/10/14, 09:54 am

Cobra_Kai wrote:
bwgophers wrote:Good luck with all of this.

Andromeda
Dallas Texans
D'Feeters
FC Dallas
Liverpool
Solar
Sting
Texas Spirit

LHGCL needs the big clubs to have any hope of staying relevant, so they are going to cater to them.  The big clubs want LHGCL to survive because they don't want the hassle of having to create, and then administer, their own separate league (unless ECNL wants to step in as an organization and help out).  As long as LHGCL does enough to appease the big clubs, they will stick around, and as long as LHGCL keeps their doors open to "the little guys", there will always be clubs/team willing to put up with a deck that is somewhat stacked against them for the opportunity to play against stronger competition.

BW, do the big clubs, that are not ECNL, consider themselves to be a part of the group?

I don't know, but I'm thinking if you went to the top brass at Andromeda, Liverpool, and Tx. Spirit and asked them if they would rather have their teams play in a Non-ECNL league with the Non-ECNL teams from those other 5 clubs, OR, a league that had ZERO teams from those 5 clubs in it, which one do you think they would choose?

Back to top Go down

Post by SD69 28/10/14, 10:00 am

Yeah, I'd be curious to see what the % was of the big 4.

I don't think Andro or Spirit would consider themselves part of the group. LP as girls get older, probably not. Wouldn't think D'feeters would either due to their size even though they are part of the ECNL pie.

They will play along because of what BW stated, but not necessarily like it.
SD69
SD69
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 28/10/14, 10:06 am

reccostx wrote:Haterinto, excellent suggestions.

Glad to see a lot of favorable interest in eliminating the abusive practices being perpetrated by big clubs in the Lake Highlands Girls Classic League CPP rule.

To get the process rolling, I would think initiating a petition, supporting the reforms and submitting it to LH and NTXS to show the level of support behind the movement. I am sure nearly all, if not all independents would support and by the sounds of it, many from big clubs who are honest with themselves over the unfair competitive aspects of this rule and the effects it is having by violates the spirit of the game and ultimately hurting the kids.

Not sure how to start something like that but I saw one in my community and it used goggle docs  

https://drive.google.com/previewtemplate?id=0As3tAuweYU9QcHlVM3hrY2tocEkxUWpNSmZNZ1hHWVE&mode=public&urp=https://www.google.com/url?sa%3Dt%26rct%3Dj%26q%3D%26esrc%3Ds%26so&pli=1&ddrp=1#

Start a petition great idea, but without all of the indepedent teams not willing to leave or go elsewhere. I see little bite in your petition. You want change you need to be willing to change yourself. You also might want to be careful what you wish for. The other side you seek might lead to players leaving your clubs and your leagues becoming irrelevant.

Last edited by Zizou on 28/10/14, 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerjack 28/10/14, 10:09 am

I think the biggest issue is, no parent representation.  We pay the bills for all this crap.  In my opinion half the board should be made up of parents that aren't team managers.  The bigger issue is no one is checking the self interest of the clubs or the league.  Nothing will change until you have that.  I will sign a petition for the mentioned items but it wouldn't solve the overall problem on an ongoing basis.....Whats best for the kids.  Whats crazy is we pay and then are told how it's going to work.  My dd plays for one of the large devil clubs, but if you create a large club of independents which I am all for, they will become a devil club acting in their self interest also, it's human/company behavior.

It would be great to see the parents start a league.
soccerjack
soccerjack
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 28/10/14, 10:25 am

Parents running a league, no, he'll no

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerjack 28/10/14, 10:31 am

LOL.

More along the lines of hire someone else to run but have all parents on the board.
soccerjack
soccerjack
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 28/10/14, 10:32 am

You are right back to lakehighlands league

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hooligan 28/10/14, 11:01 am

If Big Clubs made all the rules:
- Each big club shall be awarded a 1 goal lead at the start of each game.
- Any player from the big club can play on the team at any time, regardless of age or ability.
- In the event that a big club is losing, the small club must remove its best player from the pitch.
- At the end of the game, if the big club is losing, the referee shall award PKs to the big club until such time as the score is tied.
- Tie games are counted as a win for the big club.

If the Small Clubs made all the rules:
- In the event that a big club wins by more than 3 goals, the big club must trade their best player for the worst player on the small club.
- All players on the small club play for free - all fees are paid by the big clubs.
- Any player that makes the national team must affiliate their youth development with a small club.

If the Parents made all the rules:
- The referee shall make all calls as requested by the parent sideline.
- If there is a dispute from opposing parents about a call, the game shall be paused and a MMA match  between the two parents shall commence in the center circle, with the winner getting the call.

If the Kids made all the rules:
- Every game day is "crazy sock" day.
- The team with the best pre-game cheer is awarded a goal at the start of the game.
- The ice cream truck shall pull into the center circle at half-time.
- All teams must have a sleepover the night before games.
Hooligan
Hooligan
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by haterinho 28/10/14, 11:37 am

bwgophers wrote:

Andromeda
Dallas Texans
D'Feeters
FC Dallas
Liverpool
Solar
Sting
Texas Spirit

LHGCL needs the big clubs to have any hope of staying relevant, so they are going to cater to them.  

In my eyes there are only 2 big clubs...Sting and Texans. FCD and Solar are making inroads into their empires, and it appears every year at the older age groups they are getting fewer and fewer of their top players poached by the big 2. Looking from the 99s on back, the argument can be made Sting and Texans are no longer the top dogs in Texas in terms of quality, but as far as market influence, they are still the 2.

Second, coaches and teams change clubs all the time. LH needs players/parents and coaches to stay relevant - not clubs. Catering to clubs should be the culture of a league started by clubs, but it shouldn't be the culture of LH.

Third, any league started and dominated by Sting and Texans would have its rules setup to primarily benefit DOCs and their bosses quest for marketshare. We can't make the assumption the same #s of players/parents/coaches would remain aligned with these clubs in such an environment...especially IF LH is well run as a quality alternative and clearly focused on what's best for players/parents/coaches.

League run by clubs is likely to NOT have promotion/relegation, open rosters with unrestricted CPP, and DOCs choosing their own divisions leading to everyone claiming D1 and wild variations of quality...whilst everyone claims proclaims and markets themselves as "elite"...or whatever the new buzzword happens to be. LH could easily step up its game to compete with that.

haterinho
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by tako 28/10/14, 03:31 pm

[quote="haterinho"]
bwgophers wrote:

Andromeda
Dallas Texans
D'Feeters
FC Dallas
Liverpool
Solar
Sting
Texas Spirit

LHGCL needs the big clubs to have any hope of staying relevant, so they are going to cater to them.  

In my eyes there are only 2 big clubs...Sting and Texans. FCD and Solar are making inroads into their empires, and it appears every year at the older age groups they are getting fewer and fewer of their top players poached by the big 2. Looking from the 99s on back, the argument can be made Sting and Texans are no longer the top dogs in Texas in terms of quality, but as far as market influence, they are still the 2.

Can you explain what you mean by saying there is a lack of quality from Texans and Sting in North Texas?

From an earlier post:

Congrats to both Sting and Texans for finishing in the Top 10 based on all ECNL teams performance last season.

From ECNL Website: The ECNL Overall Club Championship is a recognition of consistent competitive excellence across multiple age groups. Below is the Overall Club Top 10 Ranking for the 2013-2014 season.

2014 Overall Club Championship - Top 10

1. PDA
2. San Diego Surf
3. Michigan Hawks
4. Eclipse Select
5. Dallas Texans
6. Real Colorado
7. Crossfire Premier
8. So Cal Blues
9. Dallas Sting
10. West Coast FC

tako
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by haterinho 28/10/14, 06:25 pm

Did not say they lacked quality...said from 99s and younger an argument can be made they are no the longer top dogs in terms of quality in NTX...which suggests they may be today's big 2 but it's not guaranteed they will be tomorrow

Regardless, the question remains no matter which clubs are currently on top in the turf wars...should LH cater to the market interests of clubs or to the best interests of girls and their parents. Not that the two are always mutually exclusive, but we have seen there are times one is sacrificed for the other.

haterinho
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next