North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

How to find a good development coach? Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

How to find a good development coach?

Go down

How to find a good development coach? Empty How to find a good development coach?

Post by planogirl 28/08/15, 03:20 pm

How to find a good development coach? Everyone recommend that for young players.

However all coaches claim they are focusing on technical skills and player development.

What kind of criteria or check list I should follow? I have a few:
- Focus on skills, not BSF
- With patience no yell.

Many parents here recommend DM, how DM difference himself from others? Or anyone could just give me a recommendation?

I am new to soccer, it is so hard for me to tell the good from norm.

planogirl
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

How to find a good development coach? Empty Re: How to find a good development coach?

Post by AtThePitch 28/08/15, 03:36 pm

Who is DM?

The DM usually referenced on this forum doesn't coach anymore... Unless the disturbance in the Dribble I felt was... no way.
AtThePitch
AtThePitch
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

How to find a good development coach? Empty Re: How to find a good development coach?

Post by SWGSB 52 28/08/15, 03:40 pm

Every coach develops their players for what they want. It may be good 1v1 play, good combination play, movement off the ball, build up play from the back, controlled midfield or very direct play forward. All of these are good when used correctly. Every poster on this forum has a different thought about what development is.

Also, every parent is looking for something different. Most like winning and posting about it on this site. Otherwise they are moving to the next development coach. A few have more patience and are willing to give their coach time.

Go watch different coaches and their team in games. See as many different coaches and teams as you can. See how the coach responds to good and bad situations during games. See if the style of play is what you think best fits your child.

There are plenty of options and different types of development out there.
SWGSB 52
SWGSB 52
Original Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by boilerjoe_96 28/08/15, 03:53 pm

planogirl wrote:How to find a good development coach? Everyone recommend that for young players.

However all coaches claim they are focusing on technical skills and player development.

- With patience no yell.

Many parents here recommend DM,  how DM difference himself from others? Or anyone could just give me a recommendation?

New? You were LP bashing and stalking BigTex's dd 2 years ago... don't give us 'new'....
boilerjoe_96
boilerjoe_96
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 28/08/15, 04:04 pm

I am not a soccer coach and I  never played the sport. For those reasons, I will offer you what is likely a completely wrong opinion.

I prefer skills sessions with movement. 95 percent of the skill sessions I have seen, consist of the ball and or player remaining stationary. By this I mean the ball and/or player never move more than 1 yard. I consider that skill demonstration to be very basic (as in, can you keep the ball at your feet). The player needs that skill, however, if they remain still they will draw a crowd in pretty short order and it will most likely result in her losing the ball.  

I prefer skills sessions that require repetitions of dribbling through cones in every fashion imaginable. It takes quite a bit of repetition, but eventually leads to having control with every part of both feet WHILE MOVING.

Same thing with passing drills, receiving drills, shooting drills. Both feet, all kinds of ways, repeated and repeated and repeated.

I find 30 mins of the stationary stuff to be more like 25 mins wasted. Never seen a player yet, beat someone without moving.

Small sided, ZERO CONTACT scrimmages to practice the new skills you are learning. There are plenty of other places you can get all the contact that you need. BTW, I also believe that knowing when, where, how and how much contact to use is also a skill.

That is my probably ignorant advice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 28/08/15, 04:29 pm

boilerjoe_96 wrote:
planogirl wrote:How to find a good development coach? Everyone recommend that for young players.

- With patience no yell.

Many parents here recommend DM,  how DM difference himself from others? Or anyone could just give me a recommendation?

New?  You were LP bashing and stalking BigTex's dd 2 years ago... don't give us 'new'....

Hello my name is Inigo Montoya.......

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper 28/08/15, 08:07 pm

- With patience no yell.

How about not using a bunch of acronyms so people know what/whom you are talking about ? confused

Piper
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 28/08/15, 08:37 pm

move to california! Shocked
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by dadof3 28/08/15, 10:47 pm

go99 wrote:move to california! Shocked

Don't you mean CA where the DOCs are VIPs in their BMWs...Good Morning Vietnam...lol. RIP RW.

BSF=Big, Strong, Fast
DM=David May (Most Interesting (former) Coach...or is he...)
dadof3
dadof3
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 28/08/15, 11:07 pm

One way to find a development focused coach is watch his/her defenders in game situations. If the defenders are noticeably skillful and comfortable on the ball....probably a developer. If the defenders are just blazing fast with minimal skill and run around man marking the other team's best players...probably not.

If coach praises defenders for solving pressure with aimless boots up the field...not a developer. If coach gets after a defender for aimless boots up the field instead of attacking themselves and taking space when given to them...probably a developer.

Doesn't matter if your kid plays defense or not, watch the defense, and it can tell you alot about the coach's focus for the whole team.

Back to top Go down

Post by RightWingDad 28/08/15, 11:34 pm

4-3-3 wrote:... watch the defense, and it can tell you alot about the coach's focus for the whole team.

Absolutely. I'm definitely a fan of the play out of the back from defender to midfielder and building up the play rather than clearing out of the back to the forwards.

However sometimes its hard for coach who may be trying to develop his/her team when all the way to the soccer game parents are telling little Suzie to score, score, score. Then in the game all they hear from the sidelines is "send it"!
RightWingDad
RightWingDad
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by metro 28/08/15, 11:36 pm

bigtex wrote:
boilerjoe_96 wrote:

- With patience no yell.

New?  You were LP bashing and stalking BigTex's dd 2 years ago... don't give us 'new'....

Hello my name is Inigo Montoya.......

Hello my name is David Maynard....wait am I the DM you are talking about...? Lots of DM's in this world...
metro
metro
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by RightWingDad 28/08/15, 11:40 pm

David, unless you used to coach a Solar team or owned a upscale Mexican restaurant...then no sorry. Not you.

Unless I missed your veiled sarcasm.
RightWingDad
RightWingDad
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by AtThePitch 29/08/15, 07:25 am

There is another DM.... we don't speak his name though.
AtThePitch
AtThePitch
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 29/08/15, 07:52 am

RightWingDad wrote:
However sometimes its hard for coach who may be trying to develop his/her team when all the way to the soccer game parents are telling little Suzie to score, score, score. Then in the game all they hear from the sidelines is "send it"!

Which exposes a key trait of dev coaches...they don't take cues from parents...lol....they need the stones to lose games they could've won and let the parents pound sand.

This thread is great, but I wish we could name names more often in these type threads. So many very good players you see on top teams at older age groups had a develop focused coach somewhere in their background. Coaches dont make great players, but they can create an environment that helps players make themselves. There are a FEW develop focused coaches that win nearly every game...MOST of them don't because they dont put as much energy in recruiting parents.

Back to top Go down

Post by 1more_dd_dad 29/08/15, 01:19 pm

From what I've seen a lot of quality developmental coaches get overlooked because so many parents translate wins to development. At an early age a coach can ride a couple bigger/faster/stronger to be a top team and win at the expense of development but parents will flock to that team strictly based on wins. In my opinion a perfect example is David Pfeil at Feet, one of the better developmental coaches around, he looks at what a player has the potential to be years down the road but a lack of wins will keep parents from even considering him. Maybe as the focus changes moving forward that will too...
1more_dd_dad
1more_dd_dad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 29/08/15, 02:58 pm

Agree 100% on Pfeil...that's just from watching impact he has had teams...my kid has never played for him and I have no agenda.

Throw Mike Powers in there too...along with Reagan Angel...many others.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinnochio 30/08/15, 09:39 am

- With patience no yell.

All of the good coaches are in ECNL so make sure you join one of those 5 clubs at an early age
Pinnochio
Pinnochio
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 30/08/15, 12:37 pm

Past accomplishments and an expensive price tag are good indicators of development . 'Elite' ,'Premier', and the like are also good indicators.

Back to top Go down

Post by SickofStupidity 30/08/15, 01:50 pm

don't forget - large club and turf field are also good indicators

SickofStupidity
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by dadof3 30/08/15, 10:17 pm

Don't forget an accent...
dadof3
dadof3
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down