North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

change is coming... Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

change is coming...

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

change is coming... Empty change is coming...

Post by AtThePitch 15/09/15, 06:06 am

MON, 09/14/2015 - 23:28 DAN ABRAHAMS
US Soccer Player Development Initiatives
GoalNation’s columnist Dan Abrahams shares his insights and advice for success on the soccer field for players of all ages. A global sport psychologist and author specializing in soccer, Abrahams is based in England and works with professional soccer players in the English Premier League (EPL). Abrahams has helped hundreds of soccer players – many of them who play in the English Premier League (EPL) and others who play across Europe. A recent example of his work includes helping Yannick Bolasie make an enormous impact on the EPL for Crystal Palace. Abrahams has held contracts with QPR, Fulham, and West Ham among other clubs and works quietly, behind the scenes with many coaches from top clubs across Europe.
So a revolution is coming to soccer in the U.S and I for one am looking keenly from across the Atlantic to see how things work out.
Jurgen Klinsmann, the Head Coach for the U.S. Men’s National Team believes we must do more to help our youth develop. Now, U.S. Soccer Federation changes youth soccer and next year, the landscape will look very different.
Who knew U.S. Soccer would mandate change? Now, stepping up to end the controversy on what is right, U.S. Soccer will make youth soccer better – especially for players ages 6 to 12 (the Zone 1 environment) where there has been too much emphasis on winning and not enough on developing player skills.
Change is happening …
So a revolution is coming to soccer in the U.S and I for one am looking keenly from across the Atlantic to see how things work out for you guys.
The changes being proposed by US Soccer are compelling and courageous. They argue that at the 6-12 age groups there is too much importance placed on winning at the expense of individual development. They are concerned that coaches overly emphasise teaming players as opposed to helping players have fun and develop individual skills. The organisation wants young players to have fun and to express themselves. They want players to learn in an environment that contains smaller sides and smaller pitches.
I have to say that as an Englishman, I’m scared. I’m scared because I’m envisioning a different future as a result of these changes by US Soccer.
This future no longer contains a US National team who comes to Wembley stadium as the underdogs.
I can see a US team brimming with developed talent – multi-million dollar players who play at some of the leading clubs in the world. I can see the English players chasing shadows as the opposition pass and move with speed, deal with confined spaces with ease, and demonstrate close ball control like they were born with a soccer ball attached to their feet.
Soccer coaches and soccer parents of the U.S. I am scared. The move that US Soccer is making is a step towards your global dominance of the beautiful game. Give their ideas your full support and maybe, just maybe within 3 or 4 World Cups you will be the world’s greatest soccer nation in the men’s game as well as the women’s.
In this two part article I’m going to give you the reasons why I support the move for a shift in coaching philosophy, the use of smaller pitches and an emphasis on smaller sided games? Let me begin with the new approach to coaching – rationalising the need to win.
Soccer ball American flagDeveloping Players in America
US Soccer has stated that no 10 year old has ever been in a World Cup team, so why treat them the same way as a player who is in his or her mid-twenties. It’s a fair point. But there are so many other reasons as to why coaches and parents need to get off the ‘win at all costs’ treadmill.
Firstly, it’s easy to win in soccer. Yes folks, sorry but it is.
You’re not a great coach just because your under 10 team won the local league. And your young son or daughter isn’t destined for a top YourApeeIn or MLS team just because he or she has greatly contributed to a winning under 8 side.
Teaching young players to win isn’t dynamic coaching. Here’s how to win in soccer. Hoof the ball forward, get it away from your own goal and towards your opposition’s goal. There you go, simple.
One problem though – the players aren’t developing skill and they’re not improving their game intelligence. They aren’t going to get much better because they’re not being given the opportunity to get touches on the ball, to pass at all angles and areas of the pitch, and to move and find space in a manner that the leading players on the planet have to make. They don’t have the opportunity to improve their decision making. They’re certainly not having much fun given that most of the time they’re not actively involved in touching the ball.
Here’s another way to win at a very young age. Do what we do so well in England – get the big kids in, make it physical and win with muscle. There you go, simple. Recruit the right 10 year olds and bingo, you’ve got a winning side. You don’t have to be a strong communicator, you don’t have to develop listening skills or empathy. You don’t have to help young players develop ownership of their game. You don’t have to know how to help players manage distraction, increase self-efficacy, manage their athletic identity.
Dan Abrahams
Dan Abrahams
I mean, why bother with the complex stuff. Just get the big boys and girls and smash it forward. If you do that you’ll go and beat Barcelona under 10’s and Bayern Munich under 10’s and then you the coach can be a local hero. You the soccer parent can be proud mom or dad to a player who constantly plays for the winning side. But that success is fleeting. Your young players will become bored and leave the game. And they won’t develop into the kind of players that can beat Barcelona and Bayern Munich first teams – a time when winning counts so much more!
As a soccer coach and soccer parent it’s imperative to see the world through the eyes of your young players. Think about what they want. Think about how they can best enjoy the game, learn improve and develop.
Coach, Mom, Dad – I Wanna Have Fun!
Yes, you’ve guessed it. The kids first and foremost want to have fun. That’s why they play soccer. A recent study completed by the English FA found that the most common reason why young players play soccer is because they want to have fun and be with friends. Simple! Let them do that.
Coach, Mom, Dad – I like to win anyway!
Young people like to win anyway. They’re competitive. So you don’t need to insist on the notion of winning. You don’t need to reinforce it. They’ll play the new small sided games and strive to win – even in this different format. But they’ll do it in an environment that helps them learn the craft of laying skilful soccer.
Kids naturally play to win and when they lose they are disappointed. But hey, this doesn’t last long. Kids are real good at putting things in perspective – an important quality to have as you make your way through the minefield that is life (and something we can lose throughout adulthood!) They’re soon distracted and off doing something else with their mates. And that’s fine. That doesn’t mean that they don’t want to do well. It doesn’t mean that they are going to grow up without a keen sense of competitiveness.
Coach, Mom, Dad – isn’t this about me, not you?
You can’t Dribble wins. You can’t Dribble ability. You can’t Dribble scholarships. You can’t Dribble professional careers. Just let them play. If they want to keep playing because they have fun so let them keep playing. If they start to become real good support them with love and care and affection and the right level of attention to detail. This doesn’t mean that a 10 year old should have a whole team of experts around him or her. Just let them take part and they may improve. And that needs to be ok.
Coach, Mom, Dad – You’re stressing me out!
The more you insist that winning is important the more you will stress them out. Just think about it. The more we insist “you gotta win, this is so important, big game. You gotta win”. Do you think they’ll play with fun and freedom and focus with this kind of message? Or do you think they’ll play tight and tense?
The stressed player never fulfils potential. The stressed player burns out. The stressed player doesn’t take risk. The stressed player keeps things overly simple so he or she won’t look foolish or stupid or risk a loss for the team.
Old Way New Way graohicThe Result is Always There.
It’s ok to have a result in soccer. It can be there in a passing drill, and it can be there in a small sided game. It can be there every time a young player sets foot on the soccer pitch.
Just don’t make a big deal about it. And certainly don’t base your coaching or parental philosophy on it. Help young players strive to win whilst developing skill. Help them strive to win whilst developing game intelligence. But above all help them have fun and play with an unabashed freedom that helps them become lifelong learners in soccer and in other activities.
Soccer Tough by Dan Abrahams
Soccer Tough by Dan Abrahams
Dan Abrahams is a global sport psychologist specializing in soccer. He is based in England and has some of the leading turn-around stories and case studies in English Premier League history.
Abrahams is sought after by players, coaches and managers across Europe and his 2 soccer psychology books are international bestsellers. He is formerly a professional golfer, is Lead Psychologist for England Golf and he holds a degree in psychology and masters degree in sport psychology.
- See more at: http://goalnation.com/ussf-changes-youth-soccer/#sthash.bqkGkX7Y.MsxIUIaw.dpuf
AtThePitch
AtThePitch
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

change is coming... Empty Re: change is coming...

Post by SD69 15/09/15, 06:45 am

Cliff notes please
SD69
SD69
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrenalinetx 15/09/15, 08:42 am

So true. I know so many parents who's kids are on top teams but don't play much, but winning all the time is blinding to some parents.

Adrenalinetx
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15/09/15, 08:54 am

This guy Abrahams is clueless. Not once did he mention how the change to calendar year age groups is going to revolutionize player development in the U.S....

Back to top Go down

Post by AtThePitch 15/09/15, 08:58 am

I think that's because everyone agrees.... that one was just to align with everyone else... no other reason.

I think your DD is old enough BW that it will have next to zero impact on her especially considering how I hear the bye retention will be happening.
AtThePitch
AtThePitch
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by herradura 15/09/15, 08:59 am

I hear the "age pure" thing isn't going to happen. That is why he didn't mention it... What is next, are we supposed to convert to the metric system???
herradura
herradura
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Location : At counseling "talking through" the desire to instigate forum drama

Back to top Go down

Post by AtThePitch 15/09/15, 09:01 am

herradura wrote:I hear the "age pure" thing isn't going to happen. That is why he didn't mention it... What is next, are we supposed to convert to the metric system???

You must be drinking already. Pass that bottle over here...
AtThePitch
AtThePitch
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15/09/15, 09:09 am

AtThePitch wrote:I think that's because everyone agrees.... that one was just to align with everyone else... no other reason.

I think your DD is old enough BW that it will have next to zero impact on her especially considering how I hear the bye retention will be happening.

I was just being a wisea$$. I am totally unfazed by the calendar year change, and agree that it will likely result in minimal impact to teams at U15 and above.

Back to top Go down

Post by Uwon't 15/09/15, 09:21 am

Adrenalinetx wrote:So true. I know so many parents who's kids are on top teams but don't play much, but winning all the time is blinding to some parents.  

what is best, top team with limited playing time but practicing against the best or a lower level team, with more playing time, but no competition in practice? For arguments sake the coach, parents, and club are the same in quality. For the record, I my daughter is the later but she is new to academy soccer. What happens when/if she catches up and it's time to look for a more challenging environment?

Uwon't
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15/09/15, 09:24 am

Uwon't wrote:
Adrenalinetx wrote:So true. I know so many parents who's kids are on top teams but don't play much, but winning all the time is blinding to some parents.  

what is best, top team with limited playing time but practicing against the best or a lower level team, with more playing time, but no competition in practice? For arguments sake the coach, parents, and club are the same in quality. For the record, I my daughter is the later but she is new to academy soccer. What happens when/if she catches up and it's time to look for a more challenging environment?  

I almost posted the same thing, but I'm not a big believer in absolutes.  Every situation is different.

Uwon't, for your specific situation, your DD could probably get good minutes on a top team, but it would probably be defense. Of course, that raises other questions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakedad 15/09/15, 10:51 am

Uwon't wrote:

Rule of thumb, she shouldn't be in the top 3 or the bottom 3 and she should play at least 60% of the time.  Needs players that can push her development, but also needs game time to develop.  Nothing beats speed and pressure of game experience.
Lakedad
Lakedad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by AtThePitch 15/09/15, 10:55 am

So if every player in the top 3 of every squad shouldn't be there where do they go?

Oops, she is arguably top 3... time for a new team?

Bottom is a different story.
AtThePitch
AtThePitch
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakedad 15/09/15, 11:16 am

AtThePitch wrote:So if every player in the top 3 of every squad shouldn't be there where do they go?

Oops, she is arguably top 3... time for a new team?

Bottom is a different story.

Time for a new team?  Maybe.  That question has a lot of secondary questions attached to it, but yes - if your kid isn't growing and the coach doesn't provide any ideas (practicing with an older team at the same club once a week) it's something you're likely already considering.  Obviously, there are a number of other questions to ask: Is your kid adaptable to change?  Does she want to grow enough to move?  Is the team improving?  Is the parent group solid? Along with a 100 others.  The final decision comes down to each individual.  My kid has been in both situations and it hurt her development or her confidence.  Now shes in a good place where she brings some skills others don't and visa versa.  I guess what I am saying is that if you're DD is a top 3, but the other top players  all have different skill sets and they are all able to push each other in different ways.  If not, what's keeping you there?  And, if what's keeping you there outweighs the advantages of growth, then you have a good thing going.
Lakedad
Lakedad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by AtThePitch 15/09/15, 11:23 am

I'm not referring to mine.

I was speaking in generalities... it's not as simple as top 3 and must find a new squad as you just stated. Your earlier post stated simple... top 3 time to go.

It's not that simple.
AtThePitch
AtThePitch
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakedad 15/09/15, 11:34 am

AtThePitch wrote:I'm not referring to mine.  

I was speaking in generalities... it's not as simple as top 3 and must find a new squad as you just stated.  Your earlier post stated simple... top 3 time to go.

It's not that simple

Thanks Captain
Lakedad
Lakedad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15/09/15, 12:19 pm

Your generalization is a generalization.

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 15/09/15, 03:46 pm

the bottom 3 and playtime is complete BS. You do not develop in the game. You don't improve, you don't get better it is nothing more than a reward for hard work in practice and an identifier of what needs to be worked on.

My son played up an age group in D2 and played almost every minute. End of the season he said he wanted to push himself and move up to D1. He played on one of the top teams in the age group. He barely played the first season. He wasn't always happy and at times very pissed off but he worked like crazy to earn time. By the end of the season the coach for regionals said he was one of the best players on the team. It does not hurt a kid to be bottom 3. The question is can they fight, improve, and eventually earn minutes. If that is the case they will improve. If they are just in over their head or it's an unfair environment and they realize there is no way they can get minutes so they stop fighting then they won't With all of that being said it's not fair to put that on every kid. Not every kid wants to fight to develop. So kids just want to play and enjoy the game. So the real question is what does the kid want because you do not get better playing "down" no matter how much you play. But that also highlights the problem with the original post and age pure. It assumes every kid wants to develop. Which most kids do not. They just want to play and their game on the weekend IS their world cup
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by RightWingDad 15/09/15, 05:54 pm

Regarding the OP and Abrahams comment that the USMNT will be dominating the world in 3 or 4 World Cups.

Does that guy live in Colorado? What is he smoking?

Not until MLS players earn $1.3M like their Euro counterparts do...not until Kirk Herbstreit and Lee Corso give up their College Game Day gig for College Soccer Game Day...not until high school boys start dreaming of someday playing in the MLS for the big bucks...and doggonit...not until the Homecoming Queen wants to go to prom with the starting center mid will Abrahams be right.

That's a fact, Jack!
RightWingDad
RightWingDad
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by RightWingDad 15/09/15, 05:59 pm

Oh, and I forgot to add...we live in Texas, and not until someone comes up with a smash hit TV Series called...

"Early Morning Weekends"

Who needs Friday Night Lights!
RightWingDad
RightWingDad
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by AtThePitch 15/09/15, 06:05 pm

RightWingDad wrote:Regarding the OP and Abrahams comment that the USMNT will be dominating the world in 3 or 4 World Cups.

Does that guy live in Colorado? What is he smoking?

Not until MLS players earn $1.3M like their Euro counterparts do...not until Kirk Herbstreit and Lee Corso give up their College Game Day gig for College Soccer Game Day...not until high school boys start dreaming of someday playing in the MLS for the big bucks...and doggonit...not until the Homecoming Queen wants to go to prom with the starting center mid will Abrahams be right.

That's a fact, Jack!

Where did I ever state I agreed with him? 4 WCs from now we will still see the germans, argentines, brazilians, etc... dominating the world.
AtThePitch
AtThePitch
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by RightWingDad 15/09/15, 06:14 pm

ATP...thanks for posting the article. I did not mean to say I think you agreed with him. I was just commenting on Abrahams comments...not really yours.
RightWingDad
RightWingDad
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 15/09/15, 08:26 pm

Even if all that happens they still wont win with the shitty coaching. The problem isn't the players we have its the development. We have more kids playing than anyone else if the development was okay you should be able to produce world class talent by accident. Same tired BS excuse as always. Oh boo boo poor us we aren't the number 1 sport and easy women dont flock too us. The us national team is known to be one of the most athletic teams, they just can't play. Why is soccer the only sport here that crybabies moan about "what if"? The US dominates other sports besides football and basketball btw
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by WisdomTeeth 15/09/15, 11:02 pm

From my admittedly limited exposure to North Texas soccer so far I would say there are so very, very few girls coaches that ~
1). have a pedigree of developing skillful players at very early ages
2). build winning teams
3). show genuine interest and concern for the kids
4). TEACH those teams to play great soccer
5). can still win while doing all the above.
Find the above and treat him or her like gold!
WisdomTeeth
WisdomTeeth
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ElClassico 16/09/15, 07:07 am

Stop charging $3000+ a year and maybe parents would stop expecting wins as their return on investment. If US Soccer wants to follow the world model so much then stop being a pay to play country
ElClassico
ElClassico
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty 16/09/15, 08:13 am

WisdomTeeth wrote:From my admittedly limited exposure to North Texas soccer so far I would say there are so very, very few girls coaches that ~
1). have a pedigree of developing skillful players at very early ages
2). build winning teams
3). show genuine interest and concern for the kids
4). TEACH those teams to play great soccer
5). can still win while doing all the above.
Find the above and treat him or her like gold!

I would tend to agree.  

Most coaches tend to fall in 1 of 2 general categories:
. Team wins at all cost. Kids are disposable tools to that end.  Mainly focus on intensity and direct play.
. Paycheck coaches.  Just want to keep the team together and get paid.  Some winning is usually required, main practice focus is on scrimmaging vs instruction.

Very few focus on teaching the game to the individual players and helping them to understand how to develop and maximize their particular strengths and abilities across time.

Over the years we have learned to avoid coaches, particularly below U16, who are not teachers of the game but focus primarily on being 'in game' coaches.  

A couple tip offs are:
. how often they speak to the team as a whole vs speaking to individual players and instructing them
. most practice time is spent on conditioning & scrimmages at the expense of teaching, particularly at the younger ages
. little stopping of practice to re-enforce or correct technique or tactic, do they ever stop and ask players 'why did you do that?'
. reliance on the phrase 'unlucky' as a primary teaching tool.

Lefty
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next